Books That Didn't Make It Into The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So does the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas. - Aspen

-- You mean the "Gospel" that teaches that Jesus, as a boy, murdered two children? That "Gospel" of Thomas?
The one that says Jesus, as a young boy, struck adults with blindness?
The one that portrays the young Jesus as an immature, petulant, disrespectful boy?
The one that attributes multiple quotes to Jesus found in no other Gospel?

As far as the rest of the works you listed, no one has said they couldn't or shouldn't be read. But if they disagree with the Bible or add things that go beyond what the Bible says, (Like our Savior murdering two children when he Himself was a child, which tends to contradict the idea that He lived a sinless life) one must ask why someone would bother with them.
They have the chance of doing more harm than good.

Either you believe the BIble is divinely inspired and assembled, or you don't.

But none of the materials you've mentioned have anything at all to do with the topic at hand.
Except perhaps for the "Gospel" of Thomas. Written in the 2nd century, likely long AFTER Thomas was gone.

And they have absolutely nothing to do with the one specific question you asked and I answered.

I have provided excellent justifications as to why the rest of the BIble is helpful well beyond the three books you mentioned.

You wanting to expound that with non-Biblical materials is your choice.
But that doesn't automatically make that choice a correct one.
(Especially if you look to the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas as a reasonable choice.)

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Before I pose the question please understand that like you I adhere to the 66 canonical books of the Old and New testament as well as to a lesser degree the other 7 books known as the Apocrypha, which are not as authoritative as the 66, I often wonder about eh books that were rejected. In this I understand that it was the work of the Holy Spirit to cause Jerome and his team to compile those books which best conveyed the Lord's message, but what of the others? Is there ay wisdom which Orthodox (and by that i mean mainstream, not Eastern orthodox) Christianity can benefit from. I ahve found much enlightenning knowledge in the Gospels of Nicodemus and of Bartholomex, as well as the Apocolypse of Peter and the Life of Adam and Eve, but i don't really know what to think of it because I find it hard to just dismiss it especially where it fills in gaps.

So what I'd like to know is, is there anything that Chrsitians today, be they evangelical, charismatic or sacramental can learn from such works or are we to simply regard them as heretical?

well, jerome nor anyone except for king james had anything to do with whats contained in our current bible.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wanting to expound that with non-Biblical materials is your choice.
But that doesn't automatically make that choice a correct one.
(Especially if you look to the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas as a reasonable choice.)

Of course, I never said that reading the Gospel of Thomas was a reasonable choice - what ever that means.

why do i suspect you are flat out lying?

Because you have a pessimistic and paranoid view of human nature?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Of course, I never said that reading the Gospel of Thomas was a reasonable choice - what ever that means.

Because you have a pessimistic and paranoid view of human nature?

or because the poster i was replying to has posted links of pages filled with alleged "contradictions." in the Bible.
oh and i see you quote gnostic books to help your points. why am i not supprised...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or because the poster i was replying to has posted links of pages filled with alleged "contradictions." in the Bible.
oh and i see you quote gnostic books to help your points. why am i not supprised...

I see. You might want to read past the words "The Gospel of Thomas" before you decided why I mentioned it :)

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
no matter your stance on the so called "Gospel of Thomas" the fact still stands that you were sticking up for the posts of someone who's agenda is to disprove the Bible.

i take note of that sir..