Born Again or Christian? Is there a difference and what is your biblical support ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is the meaning of the Greek word in God's word.

From Strong's Greek dictionary:

G5546
Χριστιανός
Christianos
khris-tee-an-os'
From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.
Once again....no scripture..please post Gods word....not from a Greek dictionary...that is not Gods word.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My Son follows Gods word and reads it every night.....he is not Born of the Spirit.

We have fellowship, but not in the Spirit, I pray that God makes him Born Of The Spirit....and pray that through reading God’s word he is drawing him to Jesus.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then please focus...studying God’s word or attending a study in Seminary....does not mean one has been Born Again of the Spirit.

Anyone can study God’s word and attend seminary’s.....

We must be Born Of The Spirit.....no Study whatsoever needs to be done, for that to happen.

Being Born Again of imperishable seed....is an act of God.
Responding to your lack of theological and soteriological knowledge and understanding is tedious. And it is apparent that nothing that I say is getting through to you. There is no reason for me to continue trying.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Responding to your lack of theological and soteriological knowledge and understanding is tedious. And it is apparent that nothing that I say is getting through to you. There is no reason for me to continue trying.
Then I suggest that you put me on ignore...because I will challenge every post of yours that you post on this thread...in others words...be prepared for the questions that I will fire at you.

I’m seeking God’s truth....which is a serious subject
And once again you are getting personal.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I suggest that you put me on ignore...because I will challenge every post of yours that you post on this thread...in others words...be prepared for the questions that I will fire at you.

I’m seeking God’s truth....which is a serious subject
And once again you are getting personal.
You think the declaration of challenging every post of mine is not getting personal? What a joke.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You think the declaration of challenging every post of mine is not getting personal?
No it’s not.......it’s trying to understand if you are Born Again or a Christian.

Can you please,please, stop taking things personally.....we are searching the scriptures.

I am trying to understand why you are not understanding what I am talking about regarding scripture.

Born Again verses Christian.....as you have personally admitted....all that I post is foreign to you ,that it makes NO SENSE to YOU.and I’m asking God to show me why @JBO ....

There is nothing insulting in any of that by challenging your posts....ie firing questions at you.....imo...

You are forever challenging my posts @JBO.....so why on earth would you take offence by me challenging yours...

That’s how we learn.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I understand what you are talking about perfectly.
That’s good to here.....thank you.

We are all at different levels of understanding....and I’m not saying my understanding is any higher than yours ....it’s not.....I know I have much to learn. as we all have.

It’s when we start getting personal it starts going down hill and yes I too am guilty of getting personal ....we all are at times.

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's word says we must be Born Again to see the Kingdom of God...he doesn’t say a Christian..
Greetings Rita~To be totally scriptural there's a difference between the two words~All true Christians are born again, not all born again are Christian in the true sense of the meaning of Christians.

A person could be born of God's Spirit and not yet a full committed follower of Jesus Christ for a few reasons.

Only folks who have been baptized into the religion of Jesus Christ with a commitment of following his teachings and his people are called Christians.

A person could scripturally be born of the Spirit of God and know nothing of the true gospel of Jesus Christ until they hear that message~such people as heathens, infants, even your average next door neighbour. Yet, if born of God, then from that point forward they have the power to believe repent and be baptized into Christ's faith/religion, etc.

No man is a Christian until he is a committed follower of Jesus Christ, he then takes on the name CHRISTian, for he then is openly married to him as his bride.

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Son follows Gods word and reads it every night.....he is not Born of the Spirit.

We have fellowship, but not in the Spirit, I pray that God makes him Born Of The Spirit....and pray that through reading God’s word he is drawing him to Jesus.
Rita, pray to tell me why you think your son is not born again if he follows God's word and reads it every night, then what more in your understanding does he need to do to give evidence of being born again?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rita, pray to tell me why you think your son is not born again if he follows God's word and reads it every night, then what more in your understanding does he need to do to give evidence of being born again?
He must be Born of the Spirit...it’s our spirit that needs to be Born Again....Spirit gives birth to spirit.

He has not been Born of the Spirit, his spirit is not Born Again.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings Rita~To be totally scriptural there's a difference between the two words~All true Christians are born again, not all born again are Christian in the true sense of the meaning of Christians.
Gods word doesn’t say all true Christians are Born Again
A person could be born of God's Spirit and not yet a full committed follower of Jesus Christ for a few reasons.
Prove it then by using scripture and not your opinion?
Only folks who have been baptized into the religion of Jesus Christ with a commitment of following his teachings and his people are called Christians.
Only those who have been Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed have a Living relationship with God via his Spirit.

Romans 8​

King James Version​

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
A person could scripturally be born of the Spirit of God and know nothing of the true gospel of Jesus Christ until they hear that message~such people as heathens, infants, even your average next door neighbour. Yet, if born of God, then from that point forward they have the power to believe repent and be baptized into Christ's faith/religion, etc.
Again prove it using scripture...this is your opinion.
No man is a Christian until he is a committed follower of Jesus Christ, he then takes on the name CHRISTian, for he then is openly married to him as his bride.
No man/ woman are committed to Christ, not until they become Born of the Spirit.....now please post scripture to support your case.?

God says without HIS Spirit we are none of his.....therefore we need to be Born of the Spirit/ Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Born Again was chosen by God and predestined to become Born Again, we are his adopted children as his word says ....read the scripture above...that scripture speaks Gods truth and it’s spoken by the Spirit of God.....when our spirit is Born Again, we then start the journey of understanding the word, because we have been Born of the Spirit.....therefore the Holy Spirit who is in our spirit, who resides permanently in our spirit.....starts communicating Gods truth to our spirit.....which can take years and years to understand...

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Born Again was chosen by God and predestined to become Born Again, we are his adopted children as his word says ....read the scripture above...that scripture speaks Gods truth and it’s spoken by the Spirit of God.
Okay, I believe this 100% but this is not what we are discussing and has nothing to do with my question to you.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My Son needs to be Born of the Spirit....his spirit needs to be Born Again, that is what needs to happen.

I believe he is in the process of God drawing him to Jesus.....by reading his word......he needs his spirit to be Born Again only God can do that....if it’s his will that my Sons spirit is Born Again.