Break time. What do you do for fun?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always liked embroidery - my dad taught me as a young girl - but not cross stitch. I am hopeless with a sewing machine and much prefer hand stitching anything. I have done hand-stitched patchwork but was also good at knitting and crochet but haven't the patience now.
I don't blame you with the sewing machine. I've seen the way that those work with embroidery and I am confident I would mess it up. lol I only sew by hand and sewing my youngest's dresses take a long time. I always did something with the machine tension out of habit of turning the wheel that ends up making it useless and I could never figure out how to fix it. I went through three machines and now I'm terrified of all of them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't blame you with the sewing machine. I've seen the way that those work with embroidery and I am confident I would mess it up. lol I only sew by hand and sewing my youngest's dresses take a long time. I always did something with the machine tension out of habit of turning the wheel that ends up making it useless and I could never figure out how to fix it. I went through three machines and now I'm terrified of all of them.
@FluffyYellowDuck If you are blessed to have small fingers, this is good; with my big fingers sewing, using needles, etc (even opening plastic wraps in supermarkets) is very difficult.

Some ppl are blessed to be nimble-fingered and dexterous.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@FluffyYellowDuck If you are blessed to have small fingers, this is good; with my big fingers sewing, using needles, etc (even opening plastic wraps in supermarkets) is very difficult.

Some ppl are blessed to be nimble-fingered and dexterous.
I feel blessed to still be able to sew at my age when many have lost the agility in their fingers or who can't see so well.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@FluffyYellowDuck Sounds like you would really enjoy the Renaissance re-enactment scene with all the intricate embroidery. :)

When you look at some of intricate embroidery of the past it just blows your mind. The gowns of Queen Elizabeth I spring to mind; all hand sewn and hand embroidered. Stunning but I bet the seamstresses were paid peanuts.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When you look at some of intricate embroidery of the past it just blows your mind. The gowns of Queen Elizabeth I spring to mind; all hand sewn and hand embroidered. Stunning but I bet the seamstresses were paid peanuts.
@Pearl I know someone who has been to Hampton Court Palace to the Royal School of Needlework there. Over here this side of the Pond the Renaissance Reenactment scene is quit big in some areas. Ties in with family history research, really; ppl wondering how their ancestors would have dressed; a bit like Victoriana / Gothic needlework and design, really.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I know someone who has been to Hampton Court Palace to the Royal School of Needlework there. Over here this side of the Pond the Renaissance Reenactment scene is quit big in some areas. Ties in with family history research, really; ppl wondering how their ancestors would have dressed; a bit like Victoriana / Gothic needlework and design, really.

It really is amazing. Royal wedding gowns and veils and trains etc have some stunning embroidery by modern day seamstresses and embroiderers - such skill and talent.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
victorian-gothic-and-the-scarlet-flower-absinthe-art-by-michelle-leann-scott.jpg

fineartamerica dot com

images
sites dot google

Some ppl seem really to appreciate the intricate and ornate needlework that it entails.

Reactions: April_Rose

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Marcus_Gheeraerts_%28II%29_-_Portrait_of_Queen_Elisabeth_I_-_WGA08658.jpg

Elizabeth I. all hand stitched and embroidered. Just wonderful.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
140816-irving-queen-victoria-scotland-tease_nfmqvh.jpg

Queen Victoria. More heavy ornate hand embroidery. I've actually seen this portrait in Buckingham Palace. It is so rich in colour and life-sized.

Reactions: April_Rose

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Great picture! to think it was 68 years ago....
June 2nd 1953

She had actully been the monarch since Feb 1952 when King George VI - her father - died. She is a remarkable lady and has just had her covid vaccination along with Prince Philip who will be 100 later this year. She will be 95 in April.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@FluffyYellowDuck Shows how life in Christ indeed transforms...

I tried the broken cisterns, Lord,
But, ah, the waters failed!
E’en as I stooped to drink they fled,
And mocked me as I wailed.

The pleasures lost I sadly mourned,
But never wept for Thee,
Till grace the sightless eyes received,
Thy loveliness to see.

Refrain:
Now none but Christ can satisfy,
None other name for me;
There’s love and life and lasting joy,