Calling on the name of Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this mean? Both Peter and Paul preached this message.

Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved”.

This is critical. We have two inspired apostles stating that this is the way to salvation so we need to know what this is. I am not just going to come out with my explanation. I want to find out how others come to the conclusion of what it means to “call on the name of the Lord”.

Good thread!

One must look at the entire context of this passage and of the reference in Joel.

These, according to Joel 2:23 are those whom the LORD calls. These are those who are elect, note Ephesians 1; 1 Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 11:25-30; Romans 8:23-39; Romans 9:11ff; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; John 6 &c and yet not "all" (each and every person who has ever lived) are called; note Acts 2:39.

It is not the act of calling upon God that saves a person, the mere fact they call is evidence of true conversion. The fact the person calls upon God shows they already have faith, a gift of God; note Romans 12:3; 2 Thessalonians 3:2.

"Whosoever" is a misnomer, it is literally "he" "she" or "that person" who does this which shows the difficulty of translating Greek into English. It is not a mysterious "any person ever who does this" but contextually it is exclusive.

Many use this verse as some guarantee that if a person prays then "they go to heaven when they die." A pastor once stated, "If a person does this, God HAS to save them or He is a LIAR!" (Unfortunately I was there when he said this!)

This is not the intent of the text.

Think about it, all this would make salvation dependent upon what a person does, making it a reward, and does away with all the work of the Spirit of God and Father in electing, predestinating, calling, drawing &c. Certainly many have prayed this not being drawn, under conviction, but did so because they were guaranteed to go to heaven if they did.

All the glory goes to God alone. :)

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to try and give some understanding to this thought above. “If you ask anything in my name”? Who would doubt that Paul would be a partaker of this promise?
But, in 2 Cor 12 Paul besought God three times that a thorn in the flesh would be removed. But God said no. What happened? I thought if you “ ask any thing in my name” he would do it? I guess not. The truth is, the meaning behind this thought takes study, and when you study you find this...
1 John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
The truth is....If we ask anything according to HIS WILL, he hears us.
We can ask anything we want but we can’t expect that he will respond to just anything we ask. It MUST be according to his will not ours.
I get tired of people just posting single passages as if they tell the whole story without further study and investigation. This is the beauty and wisdom of the way the Bible is written. God will find out who the lazy ones are.

Yes, many like to "forget" that verse. Also what comes into play here, IMHO would be:
James 4:2-3
2 "You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."
Paul was given the thorn FROM God in the form of a messenger of Satan to buffet him, unless he would become proud and high minded after seeing the 3rd heaven. So, @jimmiec , even though Paul prayed to have that thorn removed, it was not Gods will. God allowed it for good reason. If we know we are praying His will, which most of the time we do, if it is in scripture as being His will. But even so...shouldn't we always end our prayers with "your will be done", in Jesus name?

Reactions: amadeus and CNKW3

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ex. 3:15 -

Jehovah [YHWH], .... This is My name forever, and this is My memorial from generation to generation. - LITV (Green)

“Jehovah, .... This is My name forever and by this I am to be remembered through all generations.” - MLB.

“Jehovah ... This is my eternal name, to be used throughout all generations.” - LB.

“Jehovah ... this is my name forever.” - Byington.

"Jehovah, ... this is my name forever” - ASV.

“Jehovah, .... This is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” - Darby.

“Yahweh [YHWH] .... This is my name for all time, and thus I am to be invoked for all generations to come.” - JB & NJB.

1 Chron. 16:8 -

“O give thanks unto Jehovah, call upon his name; Make known his doings among the peoples.” - ASV.

“Give thanks to Yahweh, call his name aloud, proclaim his deeds to the peoples [‘among the nations’ - NAB (1991); MLB; GNB; ‘world’ - LB].” - NJB.

“O give thanks to Jehovah, call upon His name” - KJIIV.

“Give thanks to Jehovah, call in His name” - Young’s.

“... call upon him by his name” - The Septuagint, Zondervan Publ., 1970.

Is. 12:4 -

“And in that day shall ye say, Give thanks unto Jehovah, call upon his name, declare his doings among the peoples, make mention that his name is exalted.” - ASV.

“And, that day, you will say, ‘Praise Yahweh, invoke his name. Proclaim his deeds to the people [‘nations’, RSV, NRSV, MLB, NAB (1991), GNB; ‘world’, LB], declare his name sublime.’” - NJB.

call his name aloud.” - JB.

invoke him by name” - NEB & REB.

call aloud upon his name” [Boate to onoma autou, literally: “call aloud his name”] - The Septuagint, Zondervan Publ., 1970.

Zeph. 3:9 - “For then will I turn to the peoples a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of Jehovah, to serve him with one consent.” - ASV.

“Yes, then [the last days] I shall purge the lips of the peoples, so that all may invoke the name of Yahweh.” - NJB, c.f. JB.

Joel 2:26, 32 - “And ye ... shall praise the name of Jehovah your God .... And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah shall be delivered.” - ASV.

“You WILL ... praise the name of Yahweh your God .... All who call on [‘invoke’ - REB] the name of Yahweh will be saved” - NJB.

Here, like knowing God (Jn 17:3; 2 Thess. 1:8, 9), calling on (or invoking) Jehovah’s name is an essential part of the road that leads to life.

Since it is a requirement to call upon, or invoke the name Jehovah, the knowledge and use of that name IS essential (as made known in the OT at least)! And, like knowing God, “calling upon his name, Jehovah” includes much more than merely pronouncing his name aloud in prayer. But, nevertheless, it does include the knowledge and use of his personal name, YHWH/Jehovah (or Yahweh).

For example, Elijah, in his famous demonstration of who the only true God is, told the priests of Baal, “Call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of Jehovah: and the God that answers by fire, let him be God.”

So how did the priests of Baal call on the name of their god?

“And they ... called on the name of Baal ... saying O Baal, hear us.’”

And how did Elijah call on the name of Jehovah? “O Jehovah .... Hear me, O Jehovah, hear me, that this people may know that thou, Jehovah, art God.... And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said [aloud, uncoded, in plain language], ‘Jehovah, he is God’” - ASV, 1 Ki.18:24, 26, 36-39. - Obviously, calling on (or invoking) the name of Jehovah includes the reverent use of that only personal name of the true God!

Many other scriptures throughout the OT declare the extreme importance (to God and us) of our knowing and declaring and calling upon the name Jehovah/Yahweh/Yehowah:

Jer. 16:19, 21 -

“O Jehovah ... unto thee shall the nations come from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Our fathers have inherited nought but lies ... and they will know that my name is Jehovah.” - ASV.

“and they shall know that My name is Jehovah.” - KJIIV & MKJV.

“and they will be certain that my name is [Jehovah].” - BBE.

“and they shall know that my name is Jehovah.” - Darby.

“and they shall know that my name is JEHOVAH.” - Webster.

“and they shall learn that My name is [Jehovah]. – Tanakh.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thread!

One must look at the entire context of this passage and of the reference in Joel.
This is true. Ps 119:160. Says the sum of thy word is truth. If you want to know the truth on any one subject, all that is said must be considered.

These, according to Joel 2:23 are those whom the LORD calls. These are those who are elect, note Ephesians 1; 1 Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 11:25-30; Romans 8:23-39; Romans 9:11ff; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; John 6 &c and yet not "all" (each and every person who has ever lived) are called; note Acts 2:39.

It is not the act of calling upon God that saves a person, the mere fact they call is evidence of true conversion. The fact the person calls upon God shows they already have faith, a gift of God; note Romans 12:3; 2 Thessalonians 3:2.
One MUST call in order to be saved. That is what the passage says. Paul in Rom 10 said “how shall they call on him in whom they have not believed”. One must first believe THEN call. So the calling is NOT a part of believing. Is is separate and a part from believing.

"Whosoever" is a misnomer, it is literally "he" "she" or "that person" who does this which shows the difficulty of translating Greek into English. It is not a mysterious "any person ever who does this" but contextually it is exclusive.
Same word as John 3:16. It means “anyone” that meets the conditions God has set.

Many use this verse as some guarantee that if a person prays then "they go to heaven when they die." A pastor once stated, "If a person does this, God HAS to save them or He is a LIAR!" (Unfortunately I was there when he said this!)

This is not the intent of the text.
As one can see from our study. Calling on the name of the Lord today has nothing to do with prayer. Saul prayed for three days but he still had not called.

Think about it, all this would make salvation dependent upon what a person does, making it a reward, and does away with all the work of the Spirit of God and Father in electing, predestinating, calling, drawing &c. Certainly many have prayed this not being drawn, under conviction, but did so because they were guaranteed to go to heaven if they did.

All the glory goes to God alone. :)
No. Man has a part to play in salvation. If not then all men would be saved. God provided his part and it’s mans responsibility to respond to Gods terms. It was Christ that said...he that believes AND IS baptized shall be saved. God elected the TYPE not the INDIVIDUAL who would be saved. He elected WHOSOEVER WILL.

Reactions: Nancy

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true. Ps 119:160. Says the sum of thy word is truth. If you want to know the truth on any one subject, all that is said must be considered.

One MUST call in order to be saved. That is what the passage says. Paul in Rom 10 said “how shall they call on him in whom they have not believed”. One must first believe THEN call. So the calling is NOT a part of believing. Is is separate and a part from believing.

Same word as John 3:16. It means “anyone” that meets the conditions God has set.

As one can see from our study. Calling on the name of the Lord today has nothing to do with prayer. Saul prayed for three days but he still had not called.

No. Man has a part to play in salvation. If not then all men would be saved. God provided his part and it’s mans responsibility to respond to Gods terms. It was Christ that said...he that believes AND IS baptized shall be saved. God elected the TYPE not the INDIVIDUAL who would be saved. He elected WHOSOEVER WILL.
Well keep studying until you find out it's monergistic and Soli Deo Gloria.

Arminian synergism is unbiblical.

No one is saved by their will, determination, or choosing, or any other work; John 1:13; James 1:18; Romans 9:11ff; 2 Peter 1:3.

Your failure is in not applying 2 Timothy 2:15 while totally avoiding the context in order to maintain your man-centric salvation and denial of giving God all the glory.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well keep studying until you find out it's monergistic and Soli Deo Gloria.

Arminian synergism is unbiblical.

No one is saved by their will, determination, or choosing, or any other work; John 1:13; James 1:18; Romans 9:11ff; 2 Peter 1:3.

Your failure is in not applying 2 Timothy 2:15 while totally avoiding the context in order to maintain your man-centric salvation and denial of giving God all the glory.
How does man give God glory? By hitting a home run, crossing the plate, beating your chest and pointing to the sky?
Catching a touchdown, nealing, beating chest, pointing to the sky? Is that it? We just do whatever we want in any way we want, point to the sky and say....God did it!
No, man gives God glory by being obedient to the word and the conditions he has set. It was God who said...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved. So, when I believe and then am water baptized, I am not only saved but I am giving God the glory for that salvation because I did what he asked me to do. I did everything according to his will, not mine. That is how one gives God glory. You can’t just sit in your chair, raise your hands, say a prayer, and say...I’m giving God all the glory for my salvation. Know why? Because God never told you to do that. Man did.

Jn 1:13, in context, has nothing to do with you...
Ja 1:18 says we are saved by his word. That is true. His word gave us Mk 16:16 Acts 22:16
Rom 9:11. Works? The works of Rom 9 are works of the old law.
2 Pet 1:3 says he called us. How does God call us? 2 thes 2:13,14 says we are CALLED by the gospel. Jn 6 tells us that God draws us through instruction...
John 6:44-45 No man (he really meant no man) can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
Give up Calvinism and keep studying my friend

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does man give God glory? By hitting a home run, crossing the plate, beating your chest and pointing to the sky?
Catching a touchdown, nealing, beating chest, pointing to the sky? Is that it? We just do whatever we want in any way we want, point to the sky and say....God did it!
No, man gives God glory by being obedient to the word and the conditions he has set. It was God who said...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved. So, when I believe and then am water baptized, I am not only saved but I am giving God the glory for that salvation because I did what he asked me to do. I did everything according to his will, not mine. That is how one gives God glory. You can’t just sit in your chair, raise your hands, say a prayer, and say...I’m giving God all the glory for my salvation. Know why? Because God never told you to do that. Man did.

Jn 1:13, in context, has nothing to do with you...
Ja 1:18 says we are saved by his word. That is true. His word gave us Mk 16:16 Acts 22:16
2 Pet 1:3 says he called us. How does God call us? 2 thes 2:13,14 says we are CALLED by the gospel. Jn 6 tells us that God draws us through instruction...
John 6:44-45 No man (he really meant no man) can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
Give up Calvinism and keep studying my friend
John 1:13 has everything to do with how salvation works, you're only dismissing it because it destroys your synergistic works gospel. Salvation, eternal salvation, is always the same for all people. I could be inconsistent like you and say the same about Romans 10:13 that it was only for those whom Paul addressed contextually but I'll remain consistent instead and not dismiss texts as you do.

I said Romans 9:11ff, but again you're being dismissive and dodging. The context clearly shows none are saved by choosing, determining or willing. It's plainly there. You won't give God the glory, all of it, so you misconstrue it as works in Romans 9:11 and give some asinine excuse to dismiss it. Romans 9:11 clearly says not of works. You Arminians hate context and loathe exegesis in order to maintain your out of context errant gospel of reward.

Then you dismiss 2 Peter 1:3 and then show you completely miss the point in John 6. None are able to come to Christ, not all are taught of God, not all have heard, not all are drawn. You need to drop your Finney and Arminius false gospel and learn to use context.

You still don't understand Romans 10:13. None are saved because they did anything. But you dismiss all passages that show it is all God and you insert your flesh and works. You have an aversion to giving God all the glory and reserve some for you. The message of Romans 10:13 means to worship Christ as LORD, it's not a sinners prayer nor a formula to get into heaven.

I'll keep my Reformed theology and wouldn't exchange it for your works and reward false message for anything. You can keep that mess for yourself. Oh, and by the way, you give further evidence that not one of you Arminians ever use proper context while dismissing any context that gives God all glory. That's a fact, even Geisler failed to do so.

Last edited:

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was about to call him out on that, but then I recalled all the miracles he spoke into existence...wait, never mind! :rolleyes:

Funny thing, I asked one of their ilks for her testimony the other day, and got ridiculed and called out for doing so, and she refused to give one.

I've never met ANY converted person who refused to give their testimony.

That right there tells me more than I wanted to know.

1 Peter 3:15?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"CNKW3,

[Jn 1:13, in context, has nothing to do with you...
John 6:44-45 No man (he really meant no man) can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.]

For you to deliberately twist and wrest all these verses is sad.

[Give up Calvinism and keep studying my friend]
looks like the opposite here. Your" studying" against the truth of God is not going well for you.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:13 has everything to do with how salvation works, you're only dismissing it because it destroys your synergistic works gospel. Salvation, eternal salvation, is always the same for all people. I could be inconsistent like you and say the same about Romans 10:13 that it was only for those whom Paul addressed contextually but I'll remain consistent instead and not dismiss texts as you do.

I said Romans 9:11ff, but again you're being dismissive and dodging. The context clearly shows none are saved by choosing, determining or willing. It's plainly there. You won't give God the glory, all of it, so you misconstrue it as works in Romans 9:11 and give some asinine excuse to dismiss it. Romans 9:11 clearly says not of works. You Arminians hate context and loathe exegesis in order to maintain your out of context errant gospel of reward.

Then you dismiss 2 Peter 1:3 and then show you completely miss the point in John 6. None are able to come to Christ, not all are taught of God, not all have heard, not all are drawn. You need to drop your Finney and Arminius false gospel and learn to use context.

You still don't understand Romans 10:13. None are saved because they did anything. But you dismiss all passages that show it is all God and you insert your flesh and works. You have an aversion to giving God all the glory and reserve some for you. The message of Romans 10:13 means to worship Christ as LORD, it's not a sinners prayer nor a formula to get into heaven.

I'll keep my Reformed theology and wouldn't exchange it for your works and reward false message for anything. You can keep that mess for yourself. Oh, and by the way, you give further evidence that not one of you Arminians ever use proper context while dismissing any context that gives God all glory. That's a fact, even Geisler failed to do so.

Its a reward system for them. Those who do 'x,y,z' become saved. Those who do not do 'x,y,z' do not. They have become the author of their salvation, which flies in the face of Hebrews 2:10.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its a reward system for them. Those who do 'x,y,z' become saved. Those who do not do 'x,y,z' do not. They have become the author of their salvation, which flies in the face of Hebrews 2:10.
Agreed. I've done some study on this phrase "Call on the name of the Lord (shall be saved)." It has a worship element, it is not about a sinners prayer, nor is it a formula as some make it out to be; "Do this for this. Bam! You did it, now you're going to heaven!"

It is those doing this who are saved, those who know Christ as LORD, claim Christ as LORD, worship him as LORD, call on him as LORD, they "Call upon his name." It is not their doing of this that saves them as @CNKW3 claims, but shows they will be saved, they are saved, are being saved according to biblical language. Understanding the significance of this phrase throughout Scripture is a large part of it.

But people will freak out when salvation is taken out of their hands and will say "So you're telling me I wasn't saved because I did that?!?!" Salvation is not of men, not of works, but of God alone and by grace. :)

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"CNKW3,

John 6:44-45 No man (he really meant no man) can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.]

looks like the opposite here. Your" studying" against the truth of God is not going well for you.
Very much agreed sir.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let’s look at what this passage ACTUALLY says in context...
John 1:11-13 He came unto his own,
Who is “his own”. It not you. It’s the nation of Israel. Am I right? So, right from the start this context begins with Christ’s relationship to his own people. That does not include you.

and his own received him not.
Who did not receive him? His own. The jewish people. This is not you.

But as many as received him,
As many of who? As many of his own people. This is the context of this passage. This passage context does not have all mankind in consideration. But as many of his own that received him. This, in context, does not include you.

to them gave he power to become the sons of God,
To who did he give power within this context? “To them”. His own people. The nation of Israel.

even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
The question I now have is.....did these individuals of the nation of Israel have to do more than “just believe”? Of course they did. The rest of chapter 1 spoke of John baptizing in water. If you care to read Lk 7:29,30 you will see that those that rejected baptism rejected God at the same time. So, can one be “born of God” if they reject his counsel instructing to be baptized as stated in Lk 7? If you care to read Jn 12:42 you will see they needed to do more than “just believe”.
So, my answer after studying this passage is you are not presenting this passage correctly. Those in judea during this time had to obey the preaching of John the Baptist. They were to be baptized with Johns baptism. Do you? No. In acts 19 we see individuals after the cross who had been baptized with Johns baptism. Paul corrected them and baptized them in the name of the Lord.
Did the Jews at this time have to believe that he was raised from the dead? No. But you do. Rom 10:9,10. Its not the same for them as it is for us. Do we have to sacrifice animals? No, but at one time they did. See the difference. I no you don’t because you only care about your own man made doctrine. This is Bible study. What you provide is just like all the rest....opinion. I shouldn’t even have to go on but I will.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"CNKW3,

It’s up to you to show HOW I deliberately twisted scripture. I won’t just take your word for it.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of Rom 9 is about Israel. When you get to verses 10-15 the context is that of Jacob and Esau. Jacob representing Israel, and Esau representing the gentile nations. God, according to his plan, had already determined that there would be a nation of people extending through Jacob who later is named Israel, that he would choose to work through. This has nothing to do with our “salvation”. Did Jacob do anything to earn the position he would ultimately hold? No, It was according to Gods plan. Did Israel have to be obedient and faithful? Yes.

You need to show me HOW I dismiss 2 Peter.
In John 6....who is the “all”. All as individuals or all as in Jew and gentile. In acts 2 the Bible says the Spirit would be poured out on “ALL” flesh. Who is the All? Individuals or Jew and gentile? We know it’s not individuals. The “all” refers to Jew and gentile. The two races that make up ALL the world.

The passage says...whosoever shall call on the name of the lord shall be saved. So yes, one must call in order to be saved. Read acts 22:16 and you will see Saul in the act of calling on the name of the lord. Even Rom 10:9,10 says one must believe and confess with the mouth. I guess that is doing nothing. Vs 16 talks of “obeying the gospel”. Obedience requires action. Something MUST be done in order to obey.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is “his own”. It not you. It’s the nation of Israel. Am I right? So, right from the start this context begins with Christ’s relationship to his own people. That does not include you.

As many of who? As many of his own people. This is the context of this passage. This passage context does not have all mankind in consideration. But as many of his own that received him. This, in context, does not include you.

To who did he give power within this context? “To them”. His own people. The nation of Israel.

even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
The question I now have is.....did these individuals of the nation of Israel have to do more than “just believe”? Of course they did. The rest of chapter 1 spoke of John baptizing in water. If you care to read Lk 7:29,30 you will see that those that rejected baptism rejected God at the same time. So, can one be “born of God” if they reject his counsel instructing to be baptized as stated in Lk 7? If you care to read Jn 12:42 you will see they needed to do more than “just believe”.
So, my answer after studying this passage is you are not presenting this passage correctly. Those in judea during this time had to obey the preaching of John the Baptist. They were to be baptized with Johns baptism. Do you? No. In acts 19 we see individuals after the cross who had been baptized with Johns baptism. Paul corrected them and baptized them in the name of the Lord.
Did the Jews at this time have to believe that he was raised from the dead? No. But you do. Rom 10:9,10. Its not the same for them as it is for us. Do we have to sacrifice animals? No, but at one time they did. See the difference. I no you don’t because you only care about your own man made doctrine. This is Bible study. What you provide is just like all the rest....opinion. I shouldn’t even have to go on but I will.

Awesome.

jimmiec

Jun 7, 2019
Stillwater
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Saul of Tarsus met Jesus on the road he confessed him as Lord with his mouth. The text does not connect that action to “calling on the name of the Lord”
Jesus told him to go into the city and it would be told him what he MUST do. He fasted and prayed for three days. The text does not connect that action to calling on the name of the Lord.
Jesus sent a preacher to tell him to arise and be baptized and wash away thy sins “calling on the name of the Lord”. The text connects this action commanded by Ananias to “calling on the name of the Lord”. He prayed for three days but was still in his sins, so prayer had nothing to do with his sin removal.

All sin was forgiven on the Old Dogwood tree at Calvary in 33 AD. Jesus said, "The way to the Father is thru Me." [Faith=trust in His blood, name and Holy Spirt.] One shall=must repent, claim victory over his enemy, the "liar" and be purified "in the Blood, name, of God's Lamb." Jesus=salvation. Jn 14:14 "If you, a Born again Christian, only, ask anything in My name, I shall, must, do it." His blood had already saved Paul. Paid his debt of sin. Next. He must Trust and Obey the Savior. [ " For there is no other way to be happy 'in Jesus'" but to Trust and Obey."] Believe ln The Promise Keeper. Truth sayer and Law Giver. Elohim. Then, by obeying, he becomes and is an Eternal Son of God who shall spend Eternity "in presence of the Holy God" ." A Son of God, brother to the First, Son, of God. When Jesus talked to Paul, He had claimed Him as His own. Paul responded to the Master. He did Trust and Obey. Paul proved the Power of The Son of God, "in His image", Jesus. God thru the "name of Jesus' many times.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is those doing this who are saved, those who know Christ as LORD, claim Christ as LORD, worship him as LORD, call on him as LORD, they "Call upon his name."
This is classic...let’s compare what preacher just said to what Christ says...
Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
According to preacher you just claim Christ as Lord or “know” him as Lord, or at least you think you do.
Christ says it is only those who DOETH the will of the father. These are complete opposites.
What else did Jesus say. ...
John 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
Who do you want to believe....preacher man who says do nothing or Christ who says you must labour/work for the meat which endures to everlasting life. You make the choice..

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sin was forgiven on the Old Dogwood tree at Calvary in 33 AD. Jesus said, "The way to the Father is thru Me." [Faith=trust in His blood, name and Holy Spirt.] One shall=must repent, claim victory over his enemy, the "liar" and be purified "in the Blood, name, of God's Lamb." Jesus=salvation. Jn 14:14 "If you, a Born again Christian, only, ask anything in My name, I shall, must, do it." His blood had already saved Paul. Paid his debt of sin. Next. He must Trust and Obey the Savior. [ " For there is no other way to be happy 'in Jesus'" but to Trust and Obey."] Believe ln The Promise Keeper. Truth sayer and Law Giver. Elohim. Then, by obeying, he becomes and is an Eternal Son of God who shall spend Eternity "in presence of the Holy God" ." A Son of God, brother to the First, Son, of God. When Jesus talked to Paul, He had claimed Him as His own. Paul responded to the Master. He did Trust and Obey. Paul proved the Power of The Son of God, "in His image", Jesus. God thru the "name of Jesus' many times.
I have to say your post are tough to follow. It’s like they are written in some code, and I don’t have the book. I will address one thing you said. The way for sin to be forgiven was made available through the cross, but YOUR SIN was not forgiven at the cross. YOUR SIN is only forgiven AFTER you obey the gospel which I’m pretty sure you have not. Even Saul was still in his sins until Ananias came and told him what to do. He was to arise, be baptized, and WASH AWAY HIS SINS. I do not know why people hate this passage so. Why it is so difficult to comprehend. My 10 year old son can read this, and without any coaching can answer basic questions on what baptism does. It is only the theological “intellectual” that has a problem.