Calling on the name of Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

Can you quote the scripture from acts where it actually relays that Paul/ Saul repented and confessed his sins on the Damascus road, in my bible it only says that he asked ' who it was ' then Jesus relayed his identity and told him he had to go into the city !
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you quote the scripture from acts where it actually relays that Paul/ Saul repented and confessed his sins on the Damascus road, in my bible it only says that he asked ' who it was ' then Jesus relayed his identity and told him he had to go into the city !
Rita
Paul mentions in Romans that he was the chief sinner among men before his conversion....prior to seeing Jesus he had no condemnation about his sins. So I think through his teaching others to repent daily comes from his own personal experience.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the book of Romans Paul preached what he practiced.....
Romans 10:12-16 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
The Lord will save ALL who call on him. This should do away with unconditional election. But I have shown that “calling” is NOT prayer, it is NOT just saying...Jesus, Jesus, save me. This is not what it means to CALL UPON HIM. You can’t just do whatever you want and say you are calling upon the Lord.

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Here’s Paul preaching what he practiced. The word whosoever should do away with unconditional election, limited atonement, irresistible grace. Salvation is available to ALL who call, WHOSOEVER shall call. If you want salvation then you MUST call upon the name of the Lord.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
Now Paul is going to explain the process that takes place in order for someone to call. The first thing we learn is that you can’t “CALL” until you have believed. That does away with infant baptism. This also proves that CALLING does not take place at the point of belief! One believes THEN they call. That is exactly the way it took place in our two previous examples.

and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?
One cannot believe without the word. You MUST hear the gospel first.

and how shall they hear without a preacher?
A preacher had to be involved in providing us the word. It can be Paul as the preacher or it can be someone preaching today what Paul and the others wrote. Either way we must first hear the word that is delivered to us.

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report
?
We see hear that this process of calling on the name of the Lord is all a part of “the gospel”. The Gospel must be obeyed in order to be saved. Also this shows that “the gospel” is more than just the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. This is in perfect harmony with what Christ said when he sent preachers out to “preach the gospel”, he that believes and is baptized (calls on the name of the Lord) shall be saved.
The Bible is in such beautiful harmony.
Rom 10:13. Whosoever shall call will be saved.
Mk 16:16. He that believes and is baptized will be saved
Acts 2:38. Repent + baptism = remission of sins (salvation)
Acts 22:16 baptized = sins washed away = calling on the name of the Lord.
Bible study can be so much fun.

B

Butterfly

Paul mentions in Romans that he was the chief sinner among men before his conversion....prior to seeing Jesus he had no condemnation about his sins. So I think through his teaching others to repent daily comes from his own personal experience.
My point was that there is no reference to repentance on the Damascus road , obviously I am not saying he didn't repent , but do we actually know when !?
Rita

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
First you asked about repentance. What is repentance? It is a change of mind that leads to a change of action. Read Mt 21:28,29
We know Saul repented because he was on the road to go arrest Christians. When he realized it was Christ who was before him he did a 180 and completely changed his mind. Instead of going to Damascus to arrest Christians he asked the Lord....what would you have me to do. This is text book repentance. If you ever want to teach a class on repentance I would start with Mt 21 and then move to the conversion of Saul.

You then asked about “confessing his sins”. I never said that. He confessed Christ.
New covenant confession is not “confessing our sins”. It is confessing, with the mouth, Christ as Lord. Rom 10:9 says if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus.
Jesus in Mt 10 said that unless you confess that I am he..
The Eunuch in acts 8 said I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God.
We are not to confess our sins. That is false teaching.
So, did Paul confess?
Acts 9:4-6 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
He at first called him Lord. But, after Jesus told him who he was, Saul, who was trembling and astonished replied with LORD, what would have me to do. So yes, once Saul knew who was speaking to him he still confessed him as Lord.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for giving me context of what you meant Xx
I need to clarify one point. To become a child of God one needs to confess Christ. But, after that, when a child of God sins, then we find that the individual would need to repent, confess the sin, and pray.
In acts 8 we find Simon believing and being baptized. He then sinned and Peter told him to repent and pray.
In 1 Jn 1, John is writing to Christians, and he tells them that when they sin IF they will confess their sins God will forgive.
So, we see the Bible giving instruction to the child of God to repent, confess sins, and pray. That is not what an alien sinner looking for salvation is told to do. Just wanted to clear that up. Thanks for reading what I wrote.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!! ==Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
God says==That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved..........

----------

Here is an "example prayer" if you have never talked to God..........
Heavenly Father:.........
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!! ==Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
God says==That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved..........

----------

Here is an "example prayer" if you have never talked to God..........
Heavenly Father:.........
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen
When Saul of Tarsus met Jesus on the road he confessed him as Lord with his mouth. The text does not connect that action to “calling on the name of the Lord”
Jesus told him to go into the city and it would be told him what he MUST do. He fasted and prayed for three days. The text does not connect that action to calling on the name of the Lord.
Jesus sent a preacher to tell him to arise and be baptized and wash away thy sins “calling on the name of the Lord”. The text connects this action commanded by Ananias to “calling on the name of the Lord”. He prayed for three days but was still in his sins, so prayer had nothing to do with his sin removal.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I need to clarify one point. To become a child of God one needs to confess Christ. But, after that, when a child of God sins, then we find that the individual would need to repent, confess the sin, and pray.
In acts 8 we find Simon believing and being baptized. He then sinned and Peter told him to repent and pray.
In 1 Jn 1, John is writing to Christians, and he tells them that when they sin IF they will confess their sins God will forgive.
So, we see the Bible giving instruction to the child of God to repent, confess sins, and pray. That is not what an alien sinner looking for salvation is told to do. Just wanted to clear that up. Thanks for reading what I wrote.
Very good! The Acts 8 reference is a strong message from God against a favorite doctrine of many but who has read it and understood it?

jimmiec

Jun 7, 2019
Stillwater
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this mean? Both Peter and Paul preached this message.

Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved”.

This is critical. We have two inspired apostles stating that this is the way to salvation so we need to know what this is. I am not just going to come out with my explanation. I want to find out how others come to the conclusion of what it means to “call on the name of the Lord”.
John 14:14 "If ye ask Anything "in My name" I shall do it.' We have all the power of Elohim =3= Father, Son and Holy Ghost=1= the Truth Sayer and only Law Giver, Yah! "Trust and Obey!" Saith Jesus the Promise Keeper.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 14:14 "If ye ask Anything "in My name" I shall do it.' We have all the power of Elohim =3= Father, Son and Holy Ghost=1= the Truth Sayer and only Law Giver, Yah! "Trust and Obey!" Saith Jesus the Promise Keeper.

welcome-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first thing is Jn 14 wasn’t spoken to you or me.
Second is....what does it mean to ask “in Christ name”?
Can anybody ask just anything and put the phrase “in Jesus name “ at the end? Is that what he is talking about?

jimmiec

Jun 7, 2019
Stillwater
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:16 "whosoever beleiveth [in Jesus=name] shall not perish] All Born again Christians, Sons of God, "in His image", the Prince of Peace, has all the Power, authority, of God on his lips. Elohim is a, the Truth Sayer, Almighty Law Giver, Creator, Promise Keeper. The Perfect. As Christians, '' purified in His Blood, Spirit, name," the Lamb of God," within the flesh=heart are. Only those, secularist, frauds, "in the image" of the Prince of Darkness, Lucifer the Serpent, the Enemy=Liar, fraud, Hi Chef of Hell will spend Eternity on Satan's Big BBQ Pit. In the Eternal Lake of Fire. With the "sons of the devil", the "liars, thieves and murderers who worshipe the devil." Jn 8:44. PTL ! Thank You Jesus ! jim

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:16 "whosoever beleiveth [in Jesus=name] shall not perish] All Born again Christians, Sons of God, "in His image", the Prince of Peace, has all the Power, authority, of God on his lips. Elohim is a, the Truth Sayer, Almighty Law Giver, Creator, Promise Keeper. The Perfect. As Christians, '' purified in His Blood, Spirit, name," the Lamb of God," within the flesh=heart are. Only those, secularist, frauds, "in the image" of the Prince of Darkness, Lucifer the Serpent, the Enemy=Liar, fraud, Hi Chef of Hell will spend Eternity on Satan's Big BBQ Pit. In the Eternal Lake of Fire. With the "sons of the devil", the "liars, thieves and murderers who worshipe the devil." Jn 8:44. PTL ! Thank You Jesus ! jim
So you have all the power, authority of God on your lips? Wow, that’s pretty powerful.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Utter nonsense up above.

Not the least bit surprised the above heresy is prevalent among "believers" nor that @Nancy would give a like to such false teachings. Surely a few more of the deceived lot on here will also give it a like.

It's amazing how powerful these "professing" "believers" are on online forums. Why not put your supernatural power to work and heal the world of cancer, sin, and all disease? It's on your lips, just speak it into being.

We're all waiting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to try and give some understanding to this thought above. “If you ask anything in my name”? Who would doubt that Paul would be a partaker of this promise?
But, in 2 Cor 12 Paul besought God three times that a thorn in the flesh would be removed. But God said no. What happened? I thought if you “ ask any thing in my name” he would do it? I guess not. The truth is, the meaning behind this thought takes study, and when you study you find this...
1 John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
The truth is....If we ask anything according to HIS WILL, he hears us.
We can ask anything we want but we can’t expect that he will respond to just anything we ask. It MUST be according to his will not ours.
I get tired of people just posting single passages as if they tell the whole story without further study and investigation. This is the beauty and wisdom of the way the Bible is written. God will find out who the lazy ones are.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone’s been indoctrinated by the likes of Hinn, Crouch, Hagin St. & Jr., Murdock, Copeland, Dollar, Meyer, Jakes, et al. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone’s been indoctrinated by the likes of Hinn, Crouch, Hagen St. & Jr., Murdock, Copeland, Dollar, Meyer, Jakes, et al. :rolleyes:
I was about to call him out on that, but then I recalled all the miracles he spoke into existence...wait, never mind! :rolleyes:

Funny thing, I asked one of their ilks for her testimony the other day, and got ridiculed and called out for doing so, and she refused to give one.

I've never met ANY converted person who refused to give their testimony.

That right there tells me more than I wanted to know.

Reactions: SovereignGrace