Calvinism is a Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he does not. He emphasizes that man needs to attain perfection on earth to save himself, and that Christ's blood did not attain salvation for anyone.
Since I haven't studied his sermons extensively enough to know whether or not you are telling the truth, I will sustain my judgment on the matter until I have read through more of his stuff.

I think that his primary point is that we are humanly responsible for the things that we do with our body.

As such, I don't think that he would deny the efficacy of the blood of Christ as a means to achieve that end (of obtaining perfection in our behaviour in the body).

The blood does indeed sanctify and cleanse (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29, 1 John 1:7); and I believe that Finney would have utilized such verses as these to make his point that we can be righteous, even as Jesus is righteous (1 John 3:7); that we can be pure, even as He is pure (1 John 3:3); and that we can walk, even as He walked (1 John 2:6).

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I haven't studied his sermons extensively enough to know whether or not you are telling the truth, I will sustain my judgment on the matter until I have read through more of his stuff.

I think that his primary point is that we are humanly responsible for the things that we do with our body.

As such, I don't think that he would deny the efficacy of the blood of Christ as a means to achieve that end (of obtaining perfection in our behaviour in the body).

The blood does indeed sanctify and cleanse (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29, 1 John 1:7); and I believe that Finney would have utilized such verses as these to make his point that we can be righteous, even as Jesus is righteous (1 John 3:7); that we can be pure, even as He is pure (1 John 3:3); and that we can walk, even as He walked (1 John 2:6).

My friend, please flea Finney. Here are some of his quotes that show he did not believe in the efficacy of Christ's blood:

1. “Several theologians have held that regeneration is the work of the Holy Spirit alone … but I might just as lawfully insist that it is the work of man alone.” – Charles Finney, ‘Lectures On Systematic Theology’: Abridged Edition, p. 224

2. “The doctrine of imputed righteousness, or that Christ’s obedience to the Law was accounted as our obedience, is founded on a most false and nonsensical assumption/” – Charles Finney, ‘Lectures On Systematic Theology’, Worcester: 1851, pages 320-322

3. Christ “could do no more than justify himself. It can never be imputed to us … it was naturally impossible, then, for him to obey on our behalf.” (Ibid.) This doctrine “of representing the atonement as the ground of the sinner’s justification has been a sad occasion of stumbling to many.” – Charles Finney, ‘Lectures On Systematic Theology’, p. 732

4. “We shall see that perseverance in obedience to the end of life is also a condition of justification …” Ibid., p. 735-737
Finney believed that man was saved when he decided to stop sinning and live the rest of his life in righteousness.

5. Salvation “is not founded in Christ’s literally suffering the exact penalty of the Law for them, and in this sense literally purchasing their justification and eternal salvation.” – Lectures On Systematic Theology, p. 747

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he does not. He emphasizes that man needs to attain perfection on earth to save himself, and that Christ's blood did not attain salvation for anyone.
When shown PLAIN truth and PLAIN facts they still cannot see it, and/or there is so much pride they will not admit that they and their teachings are unbiblical. What will a man give in exchange for his soul? ANYTHING, even petty pride.

Reactions: Mjh29

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is more from an article:

"No single man is more responsible for the distortion of Christian truth in our age than Charles Grandison Finney. His "new measures" created a framework for modern decision theology and Evangelical Revivalism. In this excellent article, Dr. Mike Horton explains how Charles Finney distorted the important doctrine of salvation."

And more here, with documentation: The Disturbing Legacy of Charles Finney | Monergism

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be amazed, but no longer am, that man will refuse to give God all the glory in salvation. They are even hostile toward doing so. @CoreIssue , @Enoch111 11, @justbyfaith are just a few who refuse to bow to the God of Scripture. "We will not have this man rule over us" -- Luke 19:14.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be amazed, but no longer am, that man will refuse to give God all the glory in salvation. They are even hostile toward doing so. @CoreIssue , @Enoch111 11, @justbyfaith are just a few who refuse to bow to the God of Scripture. "We will not have this man rule over us" -- Luke 19:14.

The problem is, as your bottom banner says, that the God of the Scriptures is not pleasant to man's palate in any sense until God changes man's tastes.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is, as your bottom banner says, that the God of the Scriptures is not pleasant to man's palate in any sense until God changes man's tastes.
Exactly, when presented with the true God of Scripture, they hate him. This is why if one preached the attributes of God in most any church, it would split wide open. Paul Washer made mention of this in the past.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly, when presented with the true God of Scripture, they hate him. This is why if one preached the attributes of God in most any church, it would split wide open. Paul Washer made mention of this in the past.

One of my favorites:
God says: Romans 1:18 ; 2 Peter 2:9 ; Psalm 75:8
Man says: "God hates the Sin and loves the sinner!"
God:
WHAT.gif

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Giving God all the Glory and studying the bible denies calvinism.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I have made it a habit to proclaim that "Jesus is the Lord," every time either of my two knees touches the floor.

re #705.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is not what he later claimed in his systematic theology

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a calvinist what do you care what he thought and claimed?. Per your theology it makes no difference at all.

Please explain to me exactly what it is you think I believe, because all you have done thus far is assume you know something you don't. You want to have a conversation, that is one thing, but mindlessly slinging around false accusations does nothing but show your own lack of knowledge as to what I believe.

Thus far it has all been
tenor.gif

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain to me exactly what it is you think I believe, because all you have done thus far is assume you know something you don't. You want to have a conversation, that is one thing, but mindlessly slinging around false accusations does nothing but show your own lack of knowledge as to what I believe.

Thus far it has all been
tenor.gif
You have made it clear you do not believe in free will. That you believe god chooses, on his own, who goes to heaven and goes to hell. We have zero input.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have made it clear you do not believe in free will. That you believe god chooses, on his own, who goes to heaven and goes to hell. We have zero input.

Daniel 4:35 ESV / 1,166 helpful votes
All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”
Isaiah 43:13 ESV / 780 helpful votes
Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?”
Psalm 135:6 ESV / 709 helpful votes
Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.
Isaiah 2:22 ESV / 707 helpful votes
Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?
Psalm 115:3 ESV / 663 helpful votes
Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.

Gods omnipotence is mentioned all over the Scriptures, saying He has all power in all things. Free will? Mentioned 0 times

I however do not think you understand the doctrine at all. I believe that God changes a person's heart, and makes them want to accept Him. They do accept Christ as their Savior, but only after He frees them from their sinful nature. God changes the hearts of sinners, otherwise we would not come to Him.

Reactions: Laish and Dave L

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Daniel 4:35 ESV / 1,166 helpful votes
All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”
Isaiah 43:13 ESV / 780 helpful votes
Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?”
Psalm 135:6 ESV / 709 helpful votes
Whatever the Lord pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.
Isaiah 2:22 ESV / 707 helpful votes
Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?
Psalm 115:3 ESV / 663 helpful votes
Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.

Gods omnipotence is mentioned all over the Scriptures, saying He has all power in all things. Free will? Mentioned 0 times

I however do not think you understand the doctrine at all. I believe that God changes a person's heart, and makes them want to accept Him. They do accept Christ as their Savior, but only after He frees them from their sinful nature. God changes the hearts of sinners, otherwise we would not come to Him.

But not in your own free will do they seek it according to you. Puppets on a string.

And of course you pluck vs. out of context and try to declare the meaning you want for them.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue, that's right it's all up to God, not you, and you're not God, though you think you are. You better bow your knee to him, because if it were up to you? You'd never be saved. Which proves you've "saved" yourself, because you DO think it was up to you by your very arguments, which is in the end meritorious "salvation."

No man is saved via will or decision, Scripture proves this making your beliefs man-made heresy. This means you're not saved via decision.

But go ahead, tell us more about how you did it, and how you despise God doing it, and being, well, God. You hate that, and despise the Potter. And while you're at it tell us more about how you know better than He. You're nothing but the Romans 9:20 man replying against Almighty God.

Reactions: Mjh29 and Dave L