Calvinism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Was scrolling through the "God's Simple Blessings" (animals) thread there when this came in. My biggest challenge would be thinking up subjects. I think that I found it. Already did the Lipstick thread. Though that does seem to be the place.
You mean the fellowship forum, or do I have to talk about lipstick? ;)

Hey, I just created a thread in the Fellowship Forum called FELLOWSHIP HERE. Whosoever is interested in some good fellowship, come on over!

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good question. Now, let me see if I can figure out an answer. :) Seriously, the Holy Spirit bears witness to my spirit as an inner witness that I've learned to identify as being God's Spirit. I know that sounds very circular, but I can't think of a better way to explain it. Like I said to someone else, if I actually get some decent sleep tonight, I'll probably be able to give a better answer, but I'll be thinking on it.
Reason in circles no more, my friend - here is a simple yet immensely profound text that is the key to discerning whether a spirit is from God:

"To the law and to the testimony...("law and the testimony" is a Hebrew colloquial reference to "the Word of God" where "the law" represents the first five books of Moses and "the testimony" refers to everything else the prophets wrote. Some other variations of this in Scripture are "Moses and the Prophets"; "Moses and Elijah"; "the law and the prophets"; )...if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20 KJV
So, when John says we are to "try ("test") the spirits", the standard by which we are to test them is the Word of God, because as John says, "many false spirits have gone out into the world" and the church is the first place we should expect to find them working.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reason in circles no more, my friend - here is a simple yet immensely profound text that is the key to discerning whether a spirit is from God:

"To the law and to the testimony...("law and the testimony" is a Hebrew colloquial reference to "the Word of God" where "the law" represents the first five books of Moses and "the testimony" refers to everything else the prophets wrote. Some other variations of this in Scripture are "Moses and the Prophets"; "Moses and Elijah"; "the law and the prophets"; )...if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isaiah 8:20 KJV
So, when John says we are to "try ("test") the spirits", the standard by which we are to test them is the Word of God, because as John says, "many false spirits have gone out into the world" and the church is the first place we should expect to find them working.
I agree that everything we "hear" must be tested against the scriptures.

Edit: What I was talking about before was an inner witness. I go by both. (And I wrote this after Nancy liked this post, just so you know.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that everything we "hear" must be tested against the scriptures.
Everything, friend - last day deceptions are so severe that they could, if it were possible, deceive the saints who are supposed to be anything but "ignorant of his (Satan's) devices".

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything, friend - last day deceptions are so severe that they could, if it were possible, deceive the saints who are supposed to be anything but "ignorant of his (Satan's) devices".
I know, I've been a Christian for over 40 years. I've learned over that time to test what I hear, but God does speak to me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know you or what you believe. Do you believe that we can "hear" God's voice?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, I've been a Christian for over 40 years. I've learned over that time to test what I hear, but God does speak to me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know you or what you believe. Do you believe that we can "hear" God's voice?

57 years for me.

People saying they hear God makes me uncomfortable because newborns in Christ and unsaved are going to misunderstand the issue.

Do I have a better term? No. But I do know saying hear has some inherent complications.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
57 years for me.

People saying they hear god makes me uncomfortable because newborns in Christ and unsaved are going to misunderstand the issue.

Do I have a better term? No. But I do know saying hear has some inherent complications.

So, you're older (spiritually) than I am! I figure that God can make Himself heard, and He can teach us to discern His voice. That's what He's done with me. I depend on Him speaking to me. Like I said, I test what I hear, but Jesus said His sheep hear and know His voice. His sheep am I!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you're older (spiritually) than I am! I figure that God can make Himself heard, and He can teach us to discern His voice. That's what He's done with me. I depend on Him speaking to me. Like I said, I test what I hear, but Jesus said His sheep hear and know His voice. His sheep am I!
Maybe understood is a better word. But that could have some issues as well.

We both agree on the point of test in all.
In my 57 years I imagine I've had more demonic encounters most.

I have gifts, but I don't say more on that because that also can get complicated.

crazy.gif

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe understood is a better word. But that could have some issues as well.

We both agree on the point of test in all.

Your mind 57 years I imagine I've had more demonic encounters most.

I have gifts, but I don't say more on that because that also can get complicated.

View attachment 4680

I do understand what you're saying. We have to be careful, but it bothers me that some Christians are more willing to believe that the devil talks to us than God does. I'm not saying you're saying this, but plenty of Christians think this way. Why not just learn to discern His voice?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do understand what you're saying. We have to be careful, but it bothers me that some Christians are more willing to believe that the devil talks to us than God does. I'm not saying you're saying this, but plenty of Christians think this way. Why not just learn to discern His voice?

Demons are getting more more active in these last days to try to pull down Christians. The weaker they are the harder they push. Not for loss of salvation, but to render them ineffective and get them teaching false doctrine.

Look around, they have been pretty effective.

As for discerning his voice, demons can sound convincing. Satan can appear as an angel of light.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't have to tell me that the demonic world is stepping up its game. I "see" it every day! But that's all the more reason to be able to discern God's voice, as far as I'm concerned! I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've learned to constantly commune with the Holy Spirit--nothing mystical, mind you. I talk to Him and He talks to me throughout the day and night. I believe this is part of walking in the Spirit that Paul talks quite a bit about in Romans 8.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't have to tell me that the demonic world is stepping up its game. I "see" it every day! But that's all the more reason to be able to discern God's voice, as far as I'm concerned! I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've learned to constantly commune with the Holy Spirit--nothing mystical, mind you. I talk to Him and He talks to me throughout the day and night. I believe this is part of walking in the Spirit that Paul talks quite a bit about in Romans 8.

Trust me, I know exactly what you're seeing and mean.

I am talking about unsaved and newborns in Christ. They need help to grow.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trust me, I know exactly what you're seeing and mean.

I am talking about unsaved and newborns in Christ. They need help to grow.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I agree that it takes maturity to discern correctly. Sometimes, I KNOW God is speaking to me, but sometimes I'm not as sure. When I'm not sure, I've learned to put it on a back burner and wait for further confirmation.... I'm not perfect at all of this, but I have HAD to hear His voice in order to make it through some very tough trials. So, glad you understand!

Reactions: CoreIssue

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not audibly, except if the spirit of prophecy comes upon us and we go into vision. But, otherwise, I believe we can be "impressed greatly" by His spirit through our mental faculties - the conscience is where He "speaks" to us.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not audibly, except if the spirit of prophecy comes upon us and we go into vision. But, otherwise, I believe we can be "impressed greatly" by His spirit through our mental faculties - the conscience is where He "speaks" to us.
Right, I've never heard His voice with my physical ears. My late husband did once, so I know it's possible.