Calvinism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:47
Fail.

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

It doesn't say they were saved immediately. It says "should be saved" or "were being saved." You need to find a passage in the past tense if you want to make your point. It's not in there. I've searched the Bible to see how the word was used.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fail.

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

It doesn't say they were saved immediately. It says "should be saved" or "were being saved." You need to find a passage in the past tense if you want to make your point. It's not in there. I've searched the Bible to see how the word was used.
Added to the number of those WHO WERE BEING SAVED. It was already going on. That isn't future. So no, not a fail, Pretty much destroys your position you just don't wnat to admit it.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I happen to believe we are "saved" at conversion (repentance)….. but that is just my personal believ that cannot be backed-up with definitive Scripture.

We have GOT to finally learn that it is not a disgrace to admit that we don't know everything.

Reactions: John Caldwell

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I happen to believe we are "saved" at conversion (repentance)….. but that is just my personal believ that cannot be backed-up with definitive Scripture.

We have GOT to finally learn that it is not a disgrace to admit that we don't know everything.
Of course you can back that up with Scripture. Good grief.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am coming to find more and more wisdom in this version as each day passes.

Acts 2:47 The Passion Translation (TPT)

47 They were continually filled with praises to God, enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord kept adding to their number daily those who were coming to life.[a]

Footnotes:
[a] Acts 2:47 As translated from the Aramaic. The Aramaic word for “church” is the joining of “meet” and “come.” This word is an invitation to enter into fellowship with Christ and his people. The Greek word for “church” is ekklesia, which is “called-out ones.” (See the second footnote on Matt. 16:18. See below)

Matthew 16:18 The Greek word for “church” is ekklesia and means “legislative assembly” or “selected ones.” This is not a religious term at all, but a political and governmental term that is used many times in classical Greek for a group of people who have been summoned and gathered together to govern the affairs of a city. For Jesus to use this term means he is giving the keys of governmental authority in his kingdom to the church. See R. Scott and H. G. Liddell, A Greek-English Lexicon, p. 206; J. H. Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, p. 196; and Oskar Seyffert, A Dictionary of Classical Antiquities, pp. 202–203.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Added to the number of those WHO WERE BEING SAVED. It was already going on. That isn't future. So no, not a fail, Pretty much destroys your position you just don't wnat to admit it.
Not at all. I accept the words as written. I've no need to alter the tense of the verb. "Were being saved" does not mean "already saved." It's both unkind and unwise to say my position is destroyed when you are altering the tense of the verb to try to make your point.

If someone is drowning, and someone goes out on a boat to rescue him, is he saved as soon as the boat takes off? Is he saved when the boat arrives? Is he saved when the rescuer reaches out for him? No. He is in the process of being saved however. He has been "saved" when he's no longer facing the risk of drowning.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. I accept the words as written. I've no need to alter the tense of the verb. "Were being saved" does not mean "already saved." It's both unkind and unwise to say my position is destroyed when you are altering the tense of the verb to try to make your point.

If someone is drowning, and someone goes out on a boat to rescue him, is he saved as soon as the boat takes off? Is he saved when the boat arrives? Is he saved when the rescuer reaches out for him? No. He is in the process of being saved however. He has been "saved" when he's no longer facing the risk of drowning.
You can't argue with stupid.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't argue with stupid.
I'm still waiting for a passage that speaks of people being "already saved" -- and calling me stupid doesn't cut it.

Is it stupid to read the Bible as written? Or is it stupid to think we know what should the authors should have written?

There was a time when I realized I didn't know about this. I admitted to myself I didn't know, so I went through the Bible to see what was written.

Last edited:

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it stupid to read the Bible as written? Or is it stupid to think we know what should the authors should have written?

There was a time when I realized I didn't know about this. I admitted to myself I didn't know, so I went through the Bible to see what was written.
Yes....that is EXACTLY what he believes.

I asked him to provide text stating his belief and got a deer in the headlight type of reaction.

That's not how good theology works.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said anything about justifying sin? Strawman

You do with your beliefs that a Christian sins, erroneously pointing to Paul.

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has nothing to do with the fact he said he still sins. And you ignore James 5. You have yet to deal with that.

This is advanced theology you are not ready for. You are still not digesting milk!

16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is advanced theology you are not ready for. You are still not digesting milk!
This is an issue in our churches. People convert and are indoctrinated and sent out to preach and teach. There is no spiritual growth, just the acquisition of knowledge and philosophy. We have babes in Christ misleading other babes from true discipleship.

No wonder they are so illiterate. But we are also to blame (those like me) because we saw a lack of doctrine and perhaps minimized the actual meat of the Word to focus on "correct" theology.

Reactions: Giuliano

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an issue in our churches. People convert and are indoctrinated and sent out to preach and teach. There is no spiritual growth, just the acquisition of knowledge and philosophy. We have babes in Christ misleading other babes from true discipleship.

No wonder they are so illiterate. But we are also to blame (those like me) because we saw a lack of doctrine and perhaps minimized the actual meat of the Word to focus on "correct" theology.

I've taught the answer for years. He's just not ready, nor open.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I happen to like to use the words used in the Bible. If the prophets used the words they did, those words work for me. I think they meant what they wrote and meant to use the words they used. It's not my role to introduce new words or new definitions of words.

You will find no example anywhere in the Bible about people being "saved" already. There is one that looks that way at first; but it really means (in Greek) "are being saved" although it's translated "saved" in some Bibles. I agree with that. We are being saved. We are not saved yet. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.
Galatians 1:15-16 KJV
[15] But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, [16] To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Is Christ in us not saved? Also notice Paul didn’t consult his flesh.
Tecarta Bible

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The word "saved" is not to be found in Acts 9.
So what? Actions speak louder than words. Many things are implied in Scripture, but people continue to look for explicit statements.

And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests? (Acts 9:20,21)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, clearly explain to all of us how three entities can exist as one, or two, or three... all over the universe at once, and still have one (or maybe two) of them living inside each of us.

Try to do it in less than 400 words, please.
You just did