Can being overly critical be sinful?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this

View attachment 25507
We must judge their fruit in order to learn if it is good fruit. We must eat it and assess its quality.

I think the log in the eye is talking more about being a hypocrite. Don't judge someone who does the same thing you do.
:My2c:
Yes that is the judging part of hypocrisy.

For me, given the vast direction we have received from Jesus about what laws to obey, which come down to the two great commandments of Love God and Love our Neighbors, the Royal Law in particular spelled out in the sheep and goats. Not being a hypocrite while pointing out someones sins can be very difficult.

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

So I think that is how Jesus saved the harlot. After hearing the law from Jesus no man could say he was without sin among her accusers.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this

View attachment 25507
We must judge their fruit in order to learn if it is good fruit. We must eat it and assess its quality.

I think the log in the eye is talking more about being a hypocrite. Don't judge someone who does the same thing you do.
:My2c:
And yes, important point. Yes we should only take in that which is good. Good fruit :)

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You could say well I'm a sinner and I'm judging someone else's sins. Therefore I'm being a hypocrite as well.
:contemplate:

Ok so we know what Christ taught us in the sermon on the mount but does he ever say it's a sin to judge someone? Does it say that anywhere else in scripture?
Cos sometimes people need to be judged, that's why we have the law

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You could say well I'm a sinner and I'm judging someone else's sins. Therefore I'm being a hypocrite as well.
:contemplate:

Ok so we know what Christ taught us in the sermon on the mount but does he ever say it's a sin to judge someone? Does it say that anywhere else in scripture?
Cos sometimes people need to be judged, that's why we have the law
Yes very true. When there arises a problem in life, sometimes that problem needs to be fixed. And sometimes the problem is a persons works.

I think this thread is more of an overly critical question. On whether it's sinful to be overly critical and controlling or domineering. Not righteous judgment.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate? So I will first quote scripture regarding the two great commandments:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That stated, I see that some people think it is their requirement to point out flaws and correct people whenever they notice that.

But can pointing out someone's flaws and attempting at every turn to correct them become a sin? I think in order to correct someone we must use judgment and hopefully it's a righteous judgment. But I also think that someone that is critical of others and speaks to that effect often can cause them to stumble.

This is the "ethics and morality" section so that you get an idea of the type of discussion this is.

Can it be sinful to be overly critical?

All depends on motive and intent. Even kindness can be sinful with the wron g motives.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
But can pointing out someone's flaws?

Everyone has flaws. To be human is to be flawed.
Flaws make us human. Perfection makes Jesus God.

What we correct is a child. We correct them with Unconditional Love and a firm hand, so that they learn the value of correction.

If you are dealing with a family member or friend, then you dont judge, you listen and you love and you lead.

If you are dealing with a Cross denier, who is teaching the Gospel of works. = THIS.... Galatians 1:8, and you are a Pastor of a Flock, then you give them 2 chances to turn from it, and back to God's Grace.
That's Titus 3, Paul Teaching, regarding Heretics.
If they wont, you show them the parking lot and you remind them that they are not to ever come back.
Why?
Because Strife is their Religion and they will infect your FORUM, and your CHURCH with it. As that is their only ministry.
Where Strife is found, you will also find "every evil work" .
So, you dont welcome Strife. You dont Love it. You dont allow it. You get it OUT, and you Keep it OUT.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It's certainly wrong and petty to overly-criticise people, but whether it's literally sinful is debatable..:)
Personally the only time I criticise people is if they're making Christianity look bad because of their wacky notions, in which case we could say it's our duty to set them straight..:)

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.
And the Lord's servant must not quarrel, instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Timothy 2:23-26)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I don't know if there's a specific Scripture to back this but my belief is that its good to look for the good in others and not always point out the bad. I think there's virtue in it.

I think this is embodied in the following . . .

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 KJV
4) Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5) Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6) Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7) Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Much charity!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL, yeah, I think maybe sometimes it's a telephone pole in the eye that gets me stirred up. As if they're the only one that has communication and authority with God.

There's a ministry of correction? The Church of Correctors? That would be the one to join as I would never have to admit I'm wrong :pursuit:

On a serious note. I would tend to agree. I accept criticism, but not from everyone. So I have my own types of people I will accept correction from, but not everyone.
I think we really need to be aware of ourselves and our own motives before we dare open our mouths about what we perceive to be someone's "non-sin" "flaws".

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate? So I will first quote scripture regarding the two great commandments:

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That stated, I see that some people think it is their requirement to point out flaws and correct people whenever they notice that.

But can pointing out someone's flaws and attempting at every turn to correct them become a sin? I think in order to correct someone we must use judgment and hopefully it's a righteous judgment. But I also think that someone that is critical of others and speaks to that effect often can cause them to stumble.

This is the "ethics and morality" section so that you get an idea of the type of discussion this is.

Leave my wife out of it!!

All kidding aside, indeed to hold a standard, to reckon according to the plumbline of God, to serve by teaching--we walk a fine line.

Looking back at the prophets of old, other than Jesus' more true teaching according to grace, I should think there are times when people have it coming. Still, certainly withholding the rod of correction is not good, just as abuse of any form is also not good.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I want to discuss when is it appropriate to correct someone and point out their flaws and also when it's not appropriate?
I'm doing the same thing
but haven't realized you just keep on blabbering you can see the flaws of others but cannot see yours

we are always right in our own eyes but it is really not up to us but God

it's like the more you correct others flaws the more you fall into the trap because you are never wrong in your own eyes you know you are righteous but doesn't make righteous it only makes you more like a proud person who know it all

it sucks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm doing the same thing
but haven't realized you just keep on blabbering you can see the flaws of others but cannot see yours

we are always right in our own eyes but it is really not up to us but God

it's like the more you correct others flaws the more you fall into the trap because you are never wrong in your own eyes you know you are righteous but doesn't make righteous it only makes you more like a proud person who know it all

it sucks
I just watched a sermon where they talked about being humble and how that means we acknowledge our shortcomings and faults to ourselves. That we are sinners and in need of mercy. And I think that makes us less judgmental and critical of others.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how will you start?
God has done this for me. Made me weak physically. I feel meek and lowly. But still hold to the judgments and commandments of God that they are good and that we should obey them. And in my weakness I realize that I am humble and lowly compared to God and Jesus. And even lowly compared to man.

I get to do some good in life, but with my disabilities I don't get to do much. My infirmities have made me humble.

Reactions: Stan B

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how will you start?
Another good thing is not to assume things about people and life and I don't form opinions easily. But wait for evidence before forming opinions. That tends to make us less judgmental. I take a more scientific fact finding approach to things. And that helps.

You'll find that many people form opinions and assume things without real facts. And that leads to being judgmental and critical of others.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of a thread THLJAC (did I get her name right?) started recently on a woman who says she is a prophet I think? She was going on and on about women wearing low cut blouses WHILE she was wearing a low cut blouse!

But…I think we begin by keenly seeing faults of others and eventually see we are the same, with Gods help. It’s growth in the virtue of humility and an accurate scale of self and I’m not sure too much interference is helpful. I don’t think you can just point out to someone that they can see others with clarity but haven’t yet seen self with clarity. I mean, if you were a preacher, you could talk about it without singling any one person out, but I think you have to let God work and just bear with them and let them take the tumble God knows they will have to take to lose some arrogance and gain some humility.
And…until someone is at least weaned from the flesh the result will always be anger at you. Their flesh will just rule and they WILL take offense. If they’ve been weaned, even if they think you are wrong, they won’t take offense.
I guess that’s not been helpful…I think you have to just gauge it by how carnal they still are or aren’t…

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But…I also think that sometimes, their reaction can be partly our fault. If our goal was to get them to stop doing something to us rather than just helping them, or…we spoke a little too sharply or didn’t speak it only in love and care for them but with a scooch of our own flesh added in, or with the impatience of our own flesh, that will do nothing but cause a war of flesh against a war of flesh. And when you enter that, you need to, at the very least, extricate yourself from it quickly and pray that God help you with your emotions ruling over you. The thing that will tell you the quickest if you are not weaned yet is whether their offense results in you also taking offense. The moment you see you took offense in reaction to their offense, you should extricate yourself and pray for what you see you lack.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I don't form opinions easily. But wait for evidence before forming opinions.
but it's the same thing as judgemental
well it's because I do the same
the concept begins to take a form based on that person actions when you look at it on the other side it is just the same as judging easily

I do it then I look at others it seems I'm no different they are also doing it based on my actions

I tell others they are judgemental yet I can't see that I am also doing the same thing just that I make reasonable comparison just to justified my sins so that I won't feel guilt and I'll feel righteous
I think I'm absolutely right and did the right thing

so now that I put aside myself even though I am too reluctant to do so and can't really feel anything I can now pinpoint my wrongs but like I said I can't feel that I am sincere right now so probably this won't even matter sooner or later but I might gain something from you and be able to change something

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What would happen during the time of loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind?
God consciousness. Truth.

Would you not then be responding to life with loving discernment of what is true, just as Jesus would?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would happen during the time of loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind?
God consciousness. Truth.

Would you not then be responding to life with loving discernment of what is true, just as Jesus would?
Yes I think people that have been healed by God are patient and loving. They're not critical or judgmental.