Can Satan read our minds?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
The devil gets blamed for things he never did. Good cover for some ministers who point to him as the reason why what they preach didn't come to pass (especially pentecostals who can't have church w/o the wicked one). Rev.20:3 says he is in the bottomless pit,that he should deceive the nations no more,till the thousand years should be fulfilled.After that loosed for a little season.To me he is doing time like a mob boss, giving orders down through the ranks of darkness to carry out on the the planet.Be aware,not afraid.he can't read your mind.

Beanied648

Mar 28, 2013
Oregon
I totaly agree with the coment that satan tempts us daily. Maybe he can't read ouor minds but he also has seen us from birth and knows the weaknesses of men and ourselves. Some of the temptations are things that society has made to sound so exciting and good and satan just digs his heels in and does all he can to us hoping to pull us away from God. Blessings all :)

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
I would expect that any entity that can posses you can read your mind. But, regardless of your view of Satan, mind-reading is essentially a non-issue as people are transparent.

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Satan can not read our minds, but he can watch our sin, and know how to tempt us

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://agapegeek.com/2011/01/21/understanding-satan%E2%80%99s-abilities-can-satan-readyour-mind/

This is an interesting read on the subject and challenged my thinking on what I believed. I have officially switched view on the subject! I am still weary and cautious and will warn everyone to guard your thoughts, which is the key. I think communication is possible but only when you are willing.

Just a small portion that explains how I was confused.

2Corinthians 10:5
5 We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

This is a fairly popular verse of scripture that you should already be aware of. But, since we are speaking about the realm of the mind and the origination of thoughts let’s examine what God is saying. We can see that God is speaking to us to do something. God tells us to “Cast Down” imaginations. Then God says to “Make Captive” every thought. Two aggressive actions that we are required to take based upon what? If you read the context of this verse you can see that God is again describing a spiritual warfare that is taking place. This means you must interpret this verse within the context of spiritual warfare and this is how you fight against your spiritual enemy Satan. Where do these thoughts and imaginations come from that you are to “make captive” and “cast down”? They must come from Satan, otherwise if they were from God we would not need to do anything but follow His leading. We can assume by indirect reference that the source of these things in our mind that are not supposed to be there are from Satan and it is our responsibility to police them out. It is also obvious to me that if Satan puts these thoughts in there then he knows what you are thinking at that instance. But, he is waiting to see what you do with the thought to see if it worked or not.

1Corinthians 2:6-8
6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away;
7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;
8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;

Here in 1 Corinthians, God further confirms what I just said. This verse clearly says that if Satan would have known why Jesus was here, he would not have had Him crucified. Satan does not understand acts of love; God who is Love, so loved the World that He gave Himself for us. These are several concepts that Satan does not understand. We know that God’s ways are not our ways according to Isaiah 55:8, but we can also clearly see and understand that God’s ways are not Satan’s ways either or Satan would have understood the plan of God and countered it with more effectiveness.
So while the Bible does not have a direct verse that says Satan cannot read your mind, you have to find out what the Bible does say on the subject and put the pieces of the puzzle together to understand what he can do. We can clearly see that Jesus walked the face of the earth for 33 years and that at no time could Satan read His mind and find out why He was here. If you believe that Jesus was a man like yourself, then you have to conclude that Satan can't read your mind either.

So the subject is a very complex one that is probably difficult for many to grasp. I tell you that Satan cannot read your mind directly, but in the same lesson I tell you that he can give you thoughts to think on and that he knows what he said to you...

Read the whole article for the best understanding!
Shalom!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
That was a very good read

It is beneficial to any Christian who has yet to come to an understanding of the battle we all war against and will continue to do until we are given a new body, the mortal puts on the immortal.

The author did not go as deep as I am going to mention but some here understand our flesh we now dwell with-in is condemned it will only be subject to our desire but it is at war with the Spirit. Seeing this is both the result of Adams sin and our own I have to wonder is this fallen condemned flesh the tool or the means that allows Satan to influence our mind to place impressions on it.

But like the author says "So the subject is a very complex one that is probably difficult for many to grasp". And you will note that Satan approached Eve in the dimension we live in, not the spiritual. We are told that sin entered in at the point of eating the forbidden tree, the first place sin is mention is in Gen 4:7 God speaking to Cain but their is no reference to Satan approaching Cain as he had Eve. I suspect Satan first experimented with the fallen condition and influencing Cain threw the fallen condition.

Everything the Author brought out in the link is expressed in Gen 4:7

6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

Just my thoughts and I'm glad to see justaname sought out an answer for himself.
I don't believe you'll be disappointed in your reassessment, over the years I'll be the first to raise my hand when asked, have you ever reconsidered your understanding of God and his word. Our God is a God of great precision and his desire is for those he draws to get it right. First comes pride then comes disgrace; but with humility comes wisdom. The wise know humility, and justaname has just demonstrated wisdom.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Demons can't read minds, however, they can inject ideas & usurp it/bypass consciousness *(by possession) if you're NOT a christian.

Luk 8:30 And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
Luk 8:35 Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

NB: You will notice in this account of the demon possessed man, that the demons knew or had 'best practice guess' what Jesus intention and action would be even before he spoke or did anything. In other words knowing Christ they (he) knew it was a foregone conclusion their time was almost up. Luke 8:26 -28

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
We must never forget that we still have some of our sinful nature within us

Maybe we should blame ourselves more often than blaming someone else (Demons or Satan)

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Arnie Manitoba said:

Maybe we should blame ourselves more often than blaming someone else (Demons or Satan)
A Brilliant place to start. :)

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Arnie Manitoba said:

There's a lot of truth in what you said there.
I've personally been threw quite a bit of what most would call tough time's, what its taught me is this, that's where the blessings are.
Now it's simply my nature I turn to the Lord, I care very little where or who is responsible when its caused by things outside of my control. But I do know it's not the result of demons reading my mind or residing with-in me. On the other hand I have seen and experienced remarkable circumstances as well. But most important is the inter rewards of perseverance. Which has lead me to govern my life more completely by faith and not by sight or by chasing the desires of the world. These teachings are as effective today as they were 2000 years ago Matthew 6:25-34 as are all the scripture good, but having them come to life in your life is the key. Have you stood before the giant with a stone in your sling? Have you followed Elijah threw the parted waters of the Jordan? And of course we have all been tempted in the wilderness, but few recognize it as such.
My message, If your not seeing the bible stories being played out in your life your not walking the right path.

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
dripping yellow madness said:
I was reading at the library today and in a magazine it said that satan can read our minds and make us to terible things. I dont think I believe that but I am not sure what bible verses say it so.

Satan has one third of the angels who follow him watch you, and me from birth…every second. They know us better than we know ourselves. They know our strong points, and the weak. They play on our weak, not our strong. The two main things most all humans trip over are, sex, and the need to have peer approval.
He does not need to read the mind. He was there when humans were created. We know our weak points…we treat these points like old friends.
At the end of each day, write down the thoughts you would never tell anybody. How long is your list? After a week you will see the same thoughts.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we give ourselves way too much credit. the devil does not have to read our thoughts or know us personally to tempt us. we are about as easy to tempt and mislead as a cooker spaniel at the dinner table. We are suckers / rubes / pigeons waiting to be plucked when it comes to satisfies our sensory driven desires. we do not even have to desire what is being offerred - simply hearing that someone else is enjoying it and the suggestion that we may have it witheld from us, releases our inner pig to fight our way to the trough - just look at the footage of people trampling each other every year on the day after thanksgiving. Makes me wonder how captivating it can possibly be to stealcandy from a baby for the past 10,000 years? Where is the challenge?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think satan can read our behavior, but not our inner most thoughts. we are probably quite simplistic compared to him. i know what my dogs are thinking most of the time because they only have 5 or 6 impulses floating around in their pea brains - i do not need to be able to read their minds to know what they are thinking.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
He can certainly try and tempt us into sin through extremely personal means. I was walking around the other day and it was extremely dusty and I began blowing my nose all the sudden this wierdo comes up to me and this comes out of his mouth "I'm a wishtian white woy and I pick my nose all night" No word of a lie I don't know the guy he looked like he nothing better to do than going around disrespecting people or maybe he had a demon or something. I almost got pride filled and began to mock him because he was not a very good looking guy, he was kinda skinny and crackhead looking he was talking like he had something lodged in his throat he was just a mess to have to deal with.

Satan knows I can get very wrathful when someone tresspasses and disrespects someone else like that I'll even punch someone else for messing with a buddy of mine like that and it's not necessary for me or anyone else to respond with such malice or wrath. It's like satan knows that and he tries to exploit it any chance he gets I just turned the other cheek for once that day thought that is really pathetic that he is living that way. It looked like he almost got hit by his own barb and began to cry he was even more pathetic after the fact I still had to hold back from just mocking him relentlessy as his sorry but walked away obviously defeated.