Can Satan read our thoughts?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I doubt it. Satan miscalculated Job. If he could read Job's thoughts, he wouldn't have miscalculated so much. Job 1:

9 Satan answered the LORD, “Does Job fear God for nothing? 10Have You not placed a hedge on every side around him and his household and all that he owns? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out Your hand and strike all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face.”
Job never cursed God to His face.

Satan also miscalculated Jesus, Matthew 4:

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9“All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’"
Satan didn't see that coming.

Probably not.

Or does he base his schemes on our previous actions, hoping we'll repeat them?

I think so. He is calculating, but the calculation is not perfect. There are mistakes.

See also Can Satan Inject Thoughts Into Your Mind?.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Probably not.
Romans 8:26-27 KJV
26) Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27) And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

This is singuler, "he that searches the hearts". Not "one of many", or something like that. God alone.

Not even we ourselves know ourselves better that Jesus.

1 Corinthians 4:4-5 KJV
4) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Concerning Job,

Job 1:8-11 KJV
8) And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
9) Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10) Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
11) But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

God declared Job's character. Satan asserted that it was a front, that Job was only that way because he was being paid. Stop paying him, and he'll curse You to Your face!!

God was proving that He, not Satan, knew Job's true character. And Job prevailed, not only in the loss of everything, but then as his misery lingered on, he endured, proving God's declaration.

A terrible misery for him to go through, as God was making an important point. He truly does know us, our character, and what He holds us responsible for, that we leave undone.

Much love!