Can You Defeat the Spirit Within Me

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the Holy Spirit indwell in sinners such as you?

From knowing him personally, yes, it does. Does it indwell you is the question.

Two men went up into the temple to pray;
the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself,
God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are,
extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

And the publican, standing afar off,
would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven,
but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other:
for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased;
and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

If this is about self-exaltation and a lack of humility, show us where st3712 showed humility in his posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From knowing him personally, yes, it does. Does it indwell you is the question.
Here is the answer to your question.

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;
but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself,
and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the answer to your question.

1 John 5:18
We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not;
but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself,
and that wicked one toucheth him not.
If I grant you your request what will you give to me?

And so you are back once again, LoL.

You do know the Spirit of God sees you coming, yes? You are going to be held accountable for your sins in the judgment, st.

I don't say that in anger. Actually I find you a little entertaining myself, LoL. But there is a price to pay for doing things like you consistently do, and I would be more fearful of coming judgment if I were you.

Blessings in Christ

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You do know the Spirit of God sees you coming, yes? You are going to be held accountable for your sins in the judgment, st.

I don't say that anger. Actually I find you a little entertaining myself, LoL. But there is a price to pay for doing things like you consistently do, and I would be more fearful of coming judgment if I were you.

Blessings in Christ
You give yourself far to much credit than I.
I wonder if God thinks of you as you think of yourself?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

I don't say that anger. Actually I find you a little entertaining myself, LoL. But there is a price to pay for doing things like you consistently do, and I would be more fearful of coming judgment if I were you.

Blessings in Christ
judged already i guess huh?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But yet here you are giving me your personal opinion about me.
i think that is all any witness can do? We suffer from points of view, and so many witnesses are better to establish a truth, prolly? But if you can only hear the ones who agree with you, what have you done, after all?

DaiCounStaae

Oct 21, 2019
Ca
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't say that in anger. Actually I find you a little entertaining myself, LoL. But there is a price to pay for doing things like you consistently do, and I would be more fearful of coming judgment if I were you.

Blessings in Christ
Are you a devil?

DaiCounStaae

Oct 21, 2019
Ca
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think that is all any witness can do? We suffer from points of view, and so many witnesses are better to establish a truth, prolly? But if you can only hear the ones who agree with you, what have you done, after all?
Do you even know to whom you are conversing too?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That certainly doesn’t strike me as the best reply to this Bert, With all due respect. What the truth is I don’t really know, do you think you know the truth? Why?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, but I can get you to give me your spirit through persuasion and that does not require me to defeat your spirit at all and I achieve the same result.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
st3712; "If I have the Holy Ghost dwelling within me,...would I not always be in direct contact with God by His own Spirit within me at all times day and night?"

No, sin and pride can cause the Holy Spirit to be extinguished within you. Hence, Paul's warning:
"Do not extinguish (or quench") the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19)."
Yes, God is free to remove the Holy Spirit from you, and that's why David pleads with God not to remove the Holy Spirit from him:
"Do not take your Holy Spirit from me (Psalm 51:11)."

Your contentious words neither channel grace to your fellow believers nor edify them. Because of that Paul says that you are grieving the Holy Spirit and thus "are not in direct contact with God by His own Spirit:"
"Do not let evil talk come out of your mouth, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words give grace to those who hear. So do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you are marked with a seal for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30)."

st3712: "So if you have the Holy Ghost within you then
why would you have to have anyone pray for you?"

Well, for one thing, Paul who has a unique anointing from the Spirit often asks believers to pray for him (E. G. 1 Thessalonians 5:25)." If Paul needs the prayers of other believers, you certainly do as well.