Can You Read Dreams?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anybody here read dreams? It's not easy. People who have a gift in this area teach about what you should do. Dreams can show areas that a person needs to work on.

I can read my dreams somewhat, but I'm not that good at it. I get an idea of what chapters or verses I need to read about. What areas to address. I also don't want to rely too much on what I see in my dreams, because that can lead me away from something else I need put my focus on.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God gives you a dream, He will reveal to your heart what He wants you to glean from it if you ask Him. I have had dreams and visions from God since I was about 13 years old ...not long after I came to Christ.

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anybody here read dreams? It's not easy. People who have a gift in this area teach about what you should do. Dreams can show areas that a person needs to work on.

I can read my dreams somewhat, but I'm not that good at it. I get an idea of what chapters or verses I need to read about. What areas to address. I also don't want to rely too much on what I see in my dreams, because that can lead me away from something else I need put my focus on.

I presume by "read dreams" you mean interpret dreams.

Yes, there are principles involved. Post it and let's take a look, or you can send it privately if you think it's real personal.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have always had 'God dreams' and I ask Him to give me the meaning and He does but I have never understood anybody else's dream. I would think it is something that can't be taught as it is the province of the Holy Spirit and so something you can't really teach. I'm only interested in the interpretation given to me by God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If God gives you a dream, He will reveal to your heart what He wants you to glean from it if you ask Him. I have had dreams and visions from God since I was about 13 years old ...not long after I came to Christ.
Yes, same here and He shows me what they mean.

Reactions: marks and TLHKAJ

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always had 'God dreams' and I ask Him to give me the meaning and He does but I have never understood anybody else's dream. I would think it is something that can't be taught as it is the province of the Holy Spirit and so something you can't really teach. I'm only interested in the interpretation given to me by God.

Yes and no, Pearl.

Yes, it is a gift, but for those who are given it by God, there is a skill to it and principles involved, like with anything else. What you also have to take into account is that sometimes dreams people receive are not just for them only but intended for the entire body of Christ. I tend to wait and see which variety it is before assuming it is just a personal dream, and relevant only to the person who received it.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and no, Pearl.

Yes, it is a gift, but for those who are given it by God, there is a skill to it and principles involved, like with anything else. What you also have to take into account is that sometimes dreams people receive are not just for them only but intended for the entire body of Christ. I tend to wait and see which variety it is before assuming it is just a personal dream, and relevant only to the person who received it.
i don't recollect Joseph using principles to interpret dreams. How can you teach a gift. A gift is given not taught. I suppose you can teach a person to pray for the interpretation.

Reactions: GTW27 and marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i don't recollect Joseph using principles to interpret dreams. How can you teach a gift. A gift is given not taught. I suppose you can teach a person to pray for the interpretation.

Well it's like this. We get better at things we gain more experience in. Take interpreting your own dreams, for instance. You may have a dream where the symbolism is at first very hard to make out, and you struggle to understand what it meant. But then the meaning of the symbolism comes to you in prayer. Now, as a result of that experience, you know what that imagery means and what it is communicating, so the next time the Lord uses it in a dream you are already ahead of the game compared to where you were before the symbolism first appeared. This in and of itself is a principle that applies to dream interpretation.

Another principle - one that may seem contradictory to the above but is not - is that symbols do NOT always represent the same things in dreams. This is a mistake the novice will make, but all symbolism needs to be interpreted IN THE CONTEXT of the rest of the dream. For instance, what does a lion represent in Biblical imagery? At first glance, it would seem to represent Christ Jesus, who is described as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. But in another place, Satan is described as lion roaming about seeking whom he may devour. To interpret lion symbolism as always referring to Christ or always referring to Satan could lead to tremendous mistakes in interpretation, and this is also something you learn by experience, not just because it is common sense. I have seen the meaning of symbolism change depending on context several times before, so it always pays to be careful about interpreting what specific symbolism means.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i don't recollect Joseph using principles to interpret dreams.

But you don't know how Joseph interpreted dreams. :) Just saying.

It's part discernment, but also part deduction. It doesn't just fall out of the sky on you. All interpretation, including scriptural interpretation, involves use of the intellect. Good interpretation is informed by spiritual discernment, but mental deduction nevertheless always plays a vital part, and the same is true of dream interpretation.

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It's part discernment, but also part deduction. It doesn't just fall out of the sky on you. All interpretation, including scriptural interpretation, involves use of the intellect. Good interpretation is informed by spiritual discernment, but mental deduction nevertheless always plays a vital part, and the same is true of dream interpretation.
i still think that the only true way to interpret a dream - if indeed it is a 'God dream - is to ask the Holy Spirit. I'm not one for formulas for this and formulas for that.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i still think that the only true way to interpret a dream - if indeed it is a 'God dream - is to ask the Holy Spirit. I'm not one for formulas for this and formulas for that.

Neither am I, and that is the absolute LAST thing I would advise doing.

What on earth makes you think that when I mentioned prayer, I am talking about going by formulas instead of asking the Holy Spirit?

Moreover, when I am stating the following, I am specifically teaching without equivocation that we should NOT be following formulas, am I not?
Another principle - one that may seem contradictory to the above but is not - is that symbols do NOT always represent the same things in dreams. This is a mistake the novice will make, but all symbolism needs to be interpreted IN THE CONTEXT of the rest of the dream. For instance, what does a lion represent in Biblical imagery? At first glance, it would seem to represent Christ Jesus, who is described as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. But in another place, Satan is described as lion roaming about seeking whom he may devour. To interpret lion symbolism as always referring to Christ or always referring to Satan could lead to tremendous mistakes in interpretation, and this is also something you learn by experience, not just because it is common sense. I have seen the meaning of symbolism change depending on context several times before, so it always pays to be careful about interpreting what specific symbolism means.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Neither am I, and that is the absolute LAST thing I would advise doing.

What on earth makes you think that when I mentioned prayer, and I am talking about going by formulas instead of asking the Holy Spirit?
I think if God puts something into your head in a dream He will be the one to let you know what it means - no skill or principles involved, just prayer. I have had dreams which were personal to me and I have had dreams which I shared with our church and with both types the meaning has been given to me. Perhaps others find the meaning through skill and principles but for me it's been a simple process of prayer and answer. This is why I think you can't really teach interpretation of dreams in the spiritual realm or it can be a bit like those books you can buy about the meanings of dreams.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if God puts something into your head in a dream He will be the one to let you know what it means - no skill or principles involved, just prayer.

I don't, Pearl. You cannot "interpret" without the mind, and this applies to interpreting dreams as much as interpreting scripture. There are those that say you can just pick up an English translation of scripture and read it, and that is all you will ever need to be "led into all truth," because all you need is the Holy Spirit. This is not a position I have ever agreed with. Those who do not take the time and effort to study from the original languages will be blind to a huge amount of things they are completely unaware of. Why? Because they are unskilled as interpreters of the word, and going merely by a translation written 2,000 years after the fact that is riddled with holes in it.

The same applies to interpreting dreams. A skilled interpreter is one who has done it a great deal, and invested a great deal of time into it, and gained knowledge by extensive experience of asking the Holy Spirit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for a period of many years to teach him or her what dreams mean, not wake up a day or two and think he's got a handle on it, and can fly by the seat of his pants and never make a mistake, and thus not need to learn lessons along the way about what to do and what not to do. People who say "All you need is the Holy Spirit" often use this as an excuse for spiritual laziness, IMO, and I don't subscribe to it, either in the interpretation of dreams or scripture.

One can interpret their own dreams without having years of experience doing it, and learn things from God, just as they can pick up a Bible, even a garbage paraphrase, and learn something from God. But those called as servants of God must not treat it as a play thing, but devote themselves to it with a seriousness and a dedication, since it is the Holy Spirit speaking and teaching us. This is especially true if you are going to attempt to interpret other people's dreams, which some argue is not of God. Scripture however gives multiple examples of servants of God interpreting other people's dreams.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't, Pearl. You cannot "interpret" without the mind, and this applies to interpreting dreams as much as interpreting scripture. There are those that say you can just pick up an English translation of scripture and read it, and that is all you will ever need to be "led into all truth," because all you need is the Holy Spirit. This is not a position I have ever agreed with. Those who do not take the time and effort to study from the original languages will be blind to a huge amount of things they are completely unaware of. Why? Because they are unskilled as interpreters of the word, and going merely by a translation written 2,000 years after the fact that is riddled with holes in it.

The same applies to interpreting dreams. A skilled interpreter is one who has done it a great deal, and invested a great deal of time into it, and gained knowledge by extensive experience of asking the Holy Spirit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for a period of many years to teach him or her what dreams mean, not wake up a day or two and think he's got a handle on it, and can fly by the seat of his pants and never make a mistake, and thus not need to learn lessons along the way about what to do and what not to do. People who say "All you need is the Holy Spirit" often use this as an excuse for spiritual laziness, IMO, and I don't subscribe to it, either in the interpretation of dreams or scripture.

One can interpret their own dreams without having years of experience doing it, and learn things from God, just as they can pick up a Bible, even a garbage paraphrase, and learn something from God. But those called as servants of God must not treat it as a play thing, but devote themselves to it with a seriousness and a dedication, since it is the Holy Spirit speaking and teaching us. This is especially true if you are going to attempt to interpret other people's dreams, which some argue is not of God. Scripture however gives multiple examples of servants of God interpreting other people's dreams.
The interpretation to my dreams has always been just 'there'. None of what you mention above.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The interpretation to my dreams has always been just 'there'. None of what you mention above.

And by your own admission you have never interpreted anyone else's dreams, Pearl.

Interpreting one's own dreams is a piece of cake compared to interpreting the dreams of others. You are applying your own experience as a blanket, cookie-cutter type analysis over the issue, but many cannot even interpret their own dreams, Pearl, as our OP admitted, and he is not the only one I have seen say so. In fact I have seen many people say so.

The truth is that there are a lot of different types of Christians at different places in their walk with God, and just as many can need help with interpreting scripture so too can many need help with interpreting dreams.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let me ask you this: Have you ever received help from a pastor or teacher in interpreting scripture, or do you think it is right to do so?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I think she disappeared on me, so let me ask you then.

I agree with your opening statement, but now, the question is this: Should a Christian also seek any outside help in interpreting dreams or visions if they are having trouble or have questions? My question in response is, should a Christian seek any outside help in understanding scripture? And if receiving help interpreting dreams is a different matter, what is the reason?

Curious what your response is, and good morning, btw :) (well, good afternoon now).

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God giveth the intepretation . I Seen way too many men and women trying to make logic out of a dream
and fail miserably . And yet simply dont trust in HE who even gave the dream .
Call upon the LORD and also one can tell their dream to another believer , perhaps GOD will give the other the interpreation .
But it aint about the mind of man trying with carnal logic and reasoning to intrepret a dream .
ITS UP to GOD who gave the dream , whether HE will give interpreation of said dream .
Let us return to childlike faith in GOD . Too many in our churches have taught us man made ways of doing many things .
But i say REST in the LORD and if one does have a dream and desires the interpretation let him pray to GOD
and also take it to other brethren and let them pray and see IF GOD will not simply give the interpreation .
TRUST THOU , REST THOU , HOPE THOU and BELEIVE THOU as a child IN GOD and beware of the devices of men
who try and try to interpret a dream by the ways of men . Watch out for those my friend .
I have had folks like that , and they try and interpret my dreams . I Even give them dreams
that i had the understanding from GOD just to see how they would interpret it . THEY GET IT WRONG every time .
Beware the devices and clever carnal technigues of men who think they be wise . Beware them .
FOR THERE IS A GOD , THE ONLY GOD , IN heaven above and HE alone can give the interpreation to that which HE himself has given unto man .
TRUST THOU , HOPE THOU , BELIEVE as a CHILD in GOD . REST in HIM and beware clever men .

Reactions: GTW27

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And by your own admission you have never interpreted anyone else's dreams, Pearl.
Nobody ever asked me to. If you have a gift for interpreting dreams it's something that others will recognise in you. You don't need to go around announcing it to the world. We don'r choose our gifts.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let me ask you this: Have you ever received help from a pastor or teacher in interpreting scripture, or do you think it is right to do so?
Of course I have. But dreams are different. At least they are in my own experience.

Reactions: marks