Cast Out...of what?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
The following verse was quoted on another thread and to my mind it raised the question....from where is Satan cast out?

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

This was spoken by Christ just before His crucifixion. The question I ask here is...what is meant by Satan, the prince of this world, being cast out? Is it being, as I once thought, being cast out of heaven or...is more to be understood?

Revelation 12:6-10 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days. And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

I submit that because of the crucifixion we are now able to cast him out of us. The war in heaven is a battle we are presently fighting. We who believe are those that dwell in heaven...now...today. Satan is cast out of us into the earth, into those not yet indwelt by Christ.

Spiritually, the holy dwell in heaven....the righteous dwell on earth....the wicked dwell in the sea.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The following verse was quoted on another thread and to my mind it raised the question....from where is Satan cast out?

John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

This was spoken by Christ just before His crucifixion. The question I ask here is...what is meant by Satan, the prince of this world, being cast out? Is it being, as I once thought, being cast out of heaven or...is more to be understood?

Revelation 12:6-10 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days. And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

I submit that because of the crucifixion we are now able to cast him out of us. The war in heaven is a battle we are presently fighting. We who believe are those that dwell in heaven...now...today. Satan is cast out of us into the earth, into those not yet indwelt by Christ.

Spiritually, the holy dwell in heaven....the righteous dwell on earth....the wicked dwell in the sea.

Cast out of his usurping place in the heavenlies. I believe that the devil's fate is sealed but he knows he still has a bit of time left to wreak havoc before he is actually cast out. He knows his time is short because he has been mortally defeated at the cross.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth

Satan is not "in US". Also, he is not omnipresent and cannot indwell multiple people at the same time.

Are you of the "Kingdom now" philosophy?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Why must you always chose to look at God's Word as non-literal, and instead as spiritual symbolism only?

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Why must you always chose to look at God's Word as non-literal, and instead as spiritual symbolism only?

It is what I see Veteran...not what I choose to see but what I see.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.

2 Corinthians 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 2:13
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 15:46
Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Satan is not "in US". Also, he is not omnipresent and cannot indwell multiple people at the same time.

Are you of the "Kingdom now" philosophy?

His teachings, his doctrines, his lies are in us. They are cast out when Christ abides in us and that happens when we are translated into the kingdom. I am now in His kingdom.

Colossians 1:13
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
His teachings, his doctrines, his lies are in us. They are cast out when Christ abides in us and that happens when we are translated into the kingdom. I am now in His kingdom.

Colossians 1:13
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

What does that have to do with your statement "we are now able to cast him out of us"?

Christians have no need to "cast Satan out of them" because he is not IN them, Christ is.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I agree the devil is not within us, if indeed we are of Christ.

But the traces of our fall remain. First God quickens our spirit, but then remains the need to break down everything that is as the devil in us. Our character is fallen and flawed and needs to be changed.

The devil was lifted up, but could not, because of his character, remain there. If we are in the same way lifted up, and our character is not changed to reflect Christ's, we will be cast out as the devil is/was/will be.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
What does that have to do with your statement "we are now able to cast him out of us"?

Christians have no need to "cast Satan out of them" because he is not IN them, Christ is.

You have answered your question Gypsy. When we are in Christ and He in us....there is no room for Satan. He is cast out. If Christ is not in us then there is some house cleaning that need be done.

I agree the devil is not within us, if indeed we are of Christ.

But the traces of our fall remain. First God quickens our spirit, but then remains the need to break down everything that is as the devil in us. Our character is fallen and flawed and needs to be changed.

The devil was lifted up, but could not, because of his character, remain there. If we are in the same way lifted up, and our character is not changed to reflect Christ's, we will be cast out as the devil is/was/will be.

I too agree. If we are of Christ then the devil is not within us. That is the key...Christ in us. When He is then the devil is cast out.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga

John 12:31 "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."

Satan is cast out in the spiritual sense, for all the power and authority can now be bestowed on each believer, to have the power and authority over the entire realm of Satan, including Satan. When Satan temps you and sends his spirits to hinder what you are doing, you have the power and authority to order those evil spirits out of your life, and out of your homes and affairs. You have to make the order in Jesus name. The power is the Holy Spirit of God that is within you, and the authority is "in the name of Jesus". Discernment is the ability to know the spirits that are talking to you, and those which should be ordered out of your life.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
I disagree with the view of the many that the devil cannot be in us. He not only can be in us but he can be cast out and then be allowed to return. Like what Jesus said here: Matthew 16:23 "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

John 12:31 "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out" is not about Satan being cast down from heaven, else it would say, "cast down" or, "cast out of heaven".

Notice that Jesus' view supports your view. Jesus equated Peter's carnal thinking with the devil being in him.

So you are absolutely right according to Jesus. Every time we fall back to the carnal man we have allowed the devil back in us. But that should not be happening to us over and over unless we are not really firmly rooted in Christ and consistently walking by spirit.

The expression "the world" does refer to the as yet unbelievers and the half-committed believers who yet have one foot in the world. They constitute the world and the gospel we preach casts the devil out of them.

If it be so that we are fully in Christ then we are no part of the world, though we live in or in the midst of the world. Only then John 12:31 does not apply to us.

John 17:14 "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."

I see a huge misconception as to how we are protected by the holy spirit. It is a huge child-like fantasy developed of not having connected all of the information the Bible tells us about it. But I am very hesitant to mess with this belief in people as I see that though they do not really understand correctly but only think they do, it none-the-less is working for them.

And there is an old saying which is quite true and accords with love: "Never tear down a man's old tattered shack before you have a better house constructed of him."

Yes, "of him". I did not misstate myself there.

Think of it as first building the new house large enough to contain or be built around the old tattered shack that has the old man in it. Then as the teacher proceeds to tear down the old tattered shack the new house keeps becoming more revealed.

I have seen people thrown into such dire panic and emotional pain that they committed suicide due to preachers who had torn down their old tattered shack before teaching them the new one.

James 3:1 "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
John 12:31 "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."

Satan is cast out in the spiritual sense, for all the power and authority can now be bestowed on each believer, to have the power and authority over the entire realm of Satan, including Satan. When Satan temps you and sends his spirits to hinder what you are doing, you have the power and authority to order those evil spirits out of your life, and out of your homes and affairs. You have to make the order in Jesus name. The power is the Holy Spirit of God that is within you, and the authority is "in the name of Jesus". Discernment is the ability to know the spirits that are talking to you, and those which should be ordered out of your life.

:D Yes!

Think of it as first building the new house large enough to contain or be built around the old tattered shack that has the old man in it. Then as the teacher proceeds to tear down the old tattered shack the new house keeps becoming more revealed.

I have seen people thrown into such dire panic and emotional pain that they committed suicide due to preachers who had torn down their old tattered shack before teaching them the new one.

James 3:1 "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation."

That deserves another great big :D