Catholic priest says Democrats are going to hell — and Texas bishop backs him up

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No offense intended, but I don't see the Catholic Church as a beacon of morality or think it has a monopoly on moral issues. The Catholic Church has been plagued with sexual abuse scandals for decades and its hierarchy has protected pedophile priests from being prosecuted by the law.
Make that centuries, and you'd be more accurate. When the Inquisition was set up in Spain, it had several goals. One was to eliminate heresy since the Spanish king was afraid that of revolts from Muslims and Jews. Another was to curb homosexuality. A Pope write to Spain asking how it was going with sodomy. The answer came back that if they got rid of all the priests who were guilty of it, there wouldn't be enough priests for the churches, so they were being lax on that. I forget which Pope that was, but I'm sure it wasn't Pope Leo X who was openly gay. Aristocratic families brought their sons to him, hoping he'd be attracted to them.

I think Pope Francis has taken it more seriously than previous Popes.

Reactions: Seven of Nine

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. Dems loving baby murder
Were you surprised that Trump took drugs that developed and tested by using fetal tissues obtained by abortion? He had said he was opposed to that; but I guess when he got sick, he forgot about principles? And I haven't heard a single "anti-abortion" Republican mention it.

Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion

This week, President Donald Trump extolled the cutting-edge coronavirus treatments he received as “miracles coming down from God.” If that’s true, then God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue.

The emergency antibody that Trump received last week was developed with the use of a cell line originally derived from abortion tissue, according to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, the company that developed the experimental drug.

The "liberal mainstream media" noticed it.

COVID drug Trump touted as a "cure" was developed using cells derived from aborted fetal tissue - CBS News

The antibody cocktail that President Trump received for his COVID-19 infection and touted on Wednesday evening as a "cure" for the deadly virus was developed using cells derived from aborted fetal tissue, a practice the White House and anti-abortion rights groups oppose.

Last week, Mr. Trump received Regeneron Pharmaceuticals' cocktail of monoclonal antibodies, an experimental therapeutic for coronavirus that is still undergoing testing and is not FDA approved. In a nearly five-minute video posted to Twitter on Wednesday, the president lauded its effects, calling it "the key."

"I think this was a blessing from God that I caught [the virus], I think it was a blessing in disguise," Mr. Trump said in the video. "I caught it, I heard about this drug, I said, 'Let me take it' … and it was incredible the way it worked."

But the way in which the antibody cocktail was developed is at odds with the Trump administration's position on stem cell research. The drug's potency was tested in a lab using HEK 293T cells, a cell line originally derived from the kidney tissue of a fetus aborted in the Netherlands in the 1970s, said a spokesperson for Regeneron in an email to CBS News on Thursday. The cells "were used in testing the antibody candidates' ability to neutralize the virus" and helped researchers "determine the 'best' two antibodies, which now make up the REGN-COV2 cocktail," the spokesperson said.

There is no fetal tissue present in the final product.

Remdesivir, an antiviral drug Mr. Trump received, also was tested using the HEK 293T cells.

Last year, the Trump administration said it would no longer support long-standing funding for medical research by government scientists using human fetal tissue, a move that countered advice from physicians and researchers. The decision was seen as a major victory for anti-abortion rights groups.

How hypocritical. Trump says one thing and does another; and the people he's fooled never want to admit they've been duped.​

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a cell line originally derived from the kidney tissue of a fetus aborted in the Netherlands in the 1970s, said a spokesperson for Regeneron in an email to CBS News on Thursday

50 year old cell lines...from a single fetus.
Where I'm not exactly thrilled with this news...this shows that this could have been gotten in another fashion with today's technology. And these antibody generating vats are huge and numerous these days...quite literally hundreds of gallons of material (goop) these days. They operate kinda like a distillery/brewery does with fermentation vats.

But the treatment is effective. Between the antiviral and the antibody treatment and the steroid Trump is up and about inside of a week.

I'm not excusing abortion.
But in the face of over 500,000 abortions performed every year in the USA alone....

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
50 year old cell lines...from a single fetus.
Where I'm not exactly thrilled with this news...this shows that this could have been gotten in another fashion with today's technology. And these antibody generating vats are huge and numerous these days...quite literally hundreds of gallons of material (goop) these days. They operate kinda like a distillery/brewery does with fermentation vats.

But the treatment is effective. Between the antiviral and the antibody treatment and the steroid Trump is up and about inside of a week.

I'm not excusing abortion.
But in the face of over 500,000 abortions performed every year in the USA alone....
I don't see how long ago it was makes a difference. To me this is how Ahab looked at things when he found it convenient to tolerate Jezebel. He didn't bribe anyone to bear false witness that got an innocent man put to death. He could tell himself he hadn't done anything wrong; and he got the vineyard he wanted.

What was his end? Well, he got the vineyard by tolerating Jezebel's lying. His punishment was that God sent a spirit to lie to him. He liked lies, so God gave him lies.

I think we are in spiritual peril when we are willing to find an advantage in the sins of others.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Were you surprised that Trump took drugs that developed and tested by using fetal tissues obtained by abortion? He had said he was opposed to that; but I guess when he got sick, he forgot about principles? And I haven't heard a single "anti-abortion" Republican mention it.

Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion

This week, President Donald Trump extolled the cutting-edge coronavirus treatments he received as “miracles coming down from God.” If that’s true, then God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue.

The emergency antibody that Trump received last week was developed with the use of a cell line originally derived from abortion tissue, according to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, the company that developed the experimental drug.

The "liberal mainstream media" noticed it.

COVID drug Trump touted as a "cure" was developed using cells derived from aborted fetal tissue - CBS News

The antibody cocktail that President Trump received for his COVID-19 infection and touted on Wednesday evening as a "cure" for the deadly virus was developed using cells derived from aborted fetal tissue, a practice the White House and anti-abortion rights groups oppose.

Last week, Mr. Trump received Regeneron Pharmaceuticals' cocktail of monoclonal antibodies, an experimental therapeutic for coronavirus that is still undergoing testing and is not FDA approved. In a nearly five-minute video posted to Twitter on Wednesday, the president lauded its effects, calling it "the key."

"I think this was a blessing from God that I caught [the virus], I think it was a blessing in disguise," Mr. Trump said in the video. "I caught it, I heard about this drug, I said, 'Let me take it' … and it was incredible the way it worked."

But the way in which the antibody cocktail was developed is at odds with the Trump administration's position on stem cell research. The drug's potency was tested in a lab using HEK 293T cells, a cell line originally derived from the kidney tissue of a fetus aborted in the Netherlands in the 1970s, said a spokesperson for Regeneron in an email to CBS News on Thursday. The cells "were used in testing the antibody candidates' ability to neutralize the virus" and helped researchers "determine the 'best' two antibodies, which now make up the REGN-COV2 cocktail," the spokesperson said.

There is no fetal tissue present in the final product.

Remdesivir, an antiviral drug Mr. Trump received, also was tested using the HEK 293T cells.

Last year, the Trump administration said it would no longer support long-standing funding for medical research by government scientists using human fetal tissue, a move that countered advice from physicians and researchers. The decision was seen as a major victory for anti-abortion rights groups.
How hypocritical. Trump says one thing and does another; and the people he's fooled never want to admit they've been duped.​

Hmmm where are all the others on this topic?

It's interesting that it took the "Liberal mainstream media" to report the facts of this treatment...

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm where are all the others on this topic?

It's interesting that it took the "Liberal mainstream media" to report the facts of this treatment...
And there's more. Trump owned stock in the two companies that make Regeneron and Remdesivir. He made profits on both -- as reported on his financial disclosure forms for 2017. At least he's not making money on them now.

Trump coronavirus treatment: President had Regeneron and Gilead stock

According to a 2017 financial disclosure form filed with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics in June 2017, Trump had a capital gain of $50,001 to $100,000 for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and $100,001 to $1 million for Gilead Sciences Inc. The form notes the information was of April 15, 2017.

Trump’s subsequent disclosure forms, including his 2020 form signed July 31, did not list Regeneron or Gilead.

It gets worse. Despite his announcement that he was clamping down on this kind of research, his administration gave Regeneron millions of dollars to fund it. He got great PR with the anti-abortion people, but then he did the opposite.

As part of Operation Warp Speed, New York state-based Regeneron won a $450 million federal contract in July to manufacture and supply the company's antibody cocktail REGN-COV2.

The New York Times reported Friday that Regeneron’s chief executive, Dr. Leonard S. Schleifer, a member of Trump’s golf club in Westchester County, New York, said Trump’s medical staff reached out to the company for permission to use the drug and the Food and Drug Administration cleared it.

What amazes me is that no seems to take a rational approach to this. If fetal tissue can be used in research, why not ask quietly the parents who have had miscarriages about donating tissues? Some grieving parents might find comfort knowing that the child they lost was helping save lives.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there's more. Trump owned stock in the two companies that make Regeneron and Remdesivir. He made profits on both -- as reported on his financial disclosure forms for 2017. At least he's not making money on them now.

Trump coronavirus treatment: President had Regeneron and Gilead stock

According to a 2017 financial disclosure form filed with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics in June 2017, Trump had a capital gain of $50,001 to $100,000 for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and $100,001 to $1 million for Gilead Sciences Inc. The form notes the information was of April 15, 2017.

Trump’s subsequent disclosure forms, including his 2020 form signed July 31, did not list Regeneron or Gilead.

It gets worse. Despite his announcement that he was clamping down on this kind of research, his administration gave Regeneron millions of dollars to fund it. He got great PR with the anti-abortion people, but then he did the opposite.

As part of Operation Warp Speed, New York state-based Regeneron won a $450 million federal contract in July to manufacture and supply the company's antibody cocktail REGN-COV2.

The New York Times reported Friday that Regeneron’s chief executive, Dr. Leonard S. Schleifer, a member of Trump’s golf club in Westchester County, New York, said Trump’s medical staff reached out to the company for permission to use the drug and the Food and Drug Administration cleared it.

What amazes me is that no seems to take a rational approach to this. If fetal tissue can be used in research, why not ask quietly the parents who have had miscarriages about donating tissues? Some grieving parents might find comfort knowing that the child they lost was helping save lives.

Trump has no direct control over his finances since he became president...it's the law

Sure he is buddies with the CEO of Roche...the billionaires club is small and exclusive. And they help each other out.

We would never get anything like that.

But then there's plenty of politicians who have done direct favors for campaign donations. Clinton's were practically renting rooms in the white house.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trump has no direct control over his finances since he became president...it's the law
Is it the law? I thought it was the usual practice for Presidents to put their assets into a blind trust so they didn't even know what they owned. Trump did not do that. He handed control over most of his assets to his children; and we have to take his word for it that they're the ones calling the shots.

It is against the law for him to profit in business by using his office.

Sure he is buddies with the CEO of Roche...the billionaires club is small and exclusive. And they help each other out.

We would never get anything like that.
But then there's plenty of politicians who have done direct favors for campaign donations.
The CEO of Rogeron contributes to Democrats. Go figure.
Clinton's were practically renting rooms in the white house.
Trump has more rooms at his hotel, and he gets to keep that money personally. Business has been bad lately however. He's been trying to sell it -- or should we say his sons have been trying to sell it? A hotel chain was interested in building a hotel close to his -- frightening Trump rather badly I'd say since business is already slow and he's been unable to sell it at a profit. So he tried to peddle his idea of making sure the FBI kept their spot. He wanted money for a new FBI building there included in the coronavirus stimulus bill. Mitch McConnell said forget it. From time to time, he says no.

McConnell: No room for new FBI building in virus aid bill

The Senate’s top Republican said Tuesday that he opposes a push by President Donald Trump to include nearly $1.8 billion in a new coronavirus aid package to rebuild the FBI headquarters on its current site in downtown Washington.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters he opposes inclusion of the FBI money and all other measures not related to the government’s response to the virus.

“When we get to the end of the process, I would hope all of the non-COVID-related measures are out,″ McConnell said. “No matter what bills they were in at the start.”

McConnell’s comments came after Democrats accused Trump of self-dealing with his push on the FBI building, which sits across the street from a downtown hotel that Trump owns on Pennsylvania Avenue, blocks from the White House. The Trump International Hotel could face competition if the FBI moves from the site and another hotel is developed on the property.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well...
The FBI building is the same office that arrested Grandpa...
It might be time for a new one.

And I wouldn't ascribe malice when incompetence can explain.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well...
The FBI building is the same office that arrested Grandpa...
It might be time for a new one.

And I wouldn't ascribe malice when incompetence can explain.
I think everyone agrees that it's time for the FBI to get new headquarters. It's a matter of deciding where it should be; and Trump interfered in that process, and in a way that would have benefited his own business. Then to make matters worse, he tried to sneak the money for it in the coronavirus bill. I ascribe "corruption" to that, not malice or incompetence.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone agrees that it's time for the FBI to get new headquarters. It's a matter of deciding where it should be; and Trump interfered in that process, and in a way that would have benefited his own business. Then to make matters worse, he tried to sneak the money for it in the coronavirus bill. I ascribe "corruption" to that, not malice or incompetence.

Have you been to DC?
The IRS has the most offices.
But it really wouldn't affect his hotel one way or another in the area being discussed.
It is true that the footprint for the proposed building is not large enough...and modifying the building (making it taller) would escalate the costs monumentally so.

Something else will go there...just a question of what...the when will be as it becomes available...

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A Wisconsin priest who condemned Catholic Democrats has the support of a Texas bishop.

Catholic priest says Democrats are going to hell — and Texas bishop backs him up

Even though I am not Catholic as sure as I am sitting here I totally agree with the priest.

lol....... So by this idea holding a political position is equivalent to following the anti-Christ and having the mark of the beast.

The ironic thing is people who think like this will be the first to follow the nutcase enemy of God, saying they are the true expression of the creator. There is an odd effect, like looking in the mirror and seeing ones enemy is very black and white terms. This very process tends to not describe the opposition correctly but oneself, but as a mirror image. It often becomes the stronger one condemns the opponent and desires just punishment, the same draconion and unjust ideas get imposed by oneself and one becomes what one claims to hate.

The fact in the USA people need an enemy to define what they stand for, it used to the Soviets, but now its the democrates.
Maybe this is how America works through its mission to itself.

We talk about our democracy and freedoms, yet there are so many issues still not resolved, but maybe its actually about self belief and staying where the one is in the culture. This is why I like the idea of climate change, of helping the poor and elderly, with science and technology applied with love and support, because it is an enemy we can resolve and conquer, and it is a true heroic battle, like against Covid-19 where faith, compassion and mercy have a role. God bless you

Reactions: Josho and Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you been to DC?
The IRS has the most offices.
But it really wouldn't affect his hotel one way or another in the area being discussed.
It is true that the footprint for the proposed building is not large enough...and modifying the building (making it taller) would escalate the costs monumentally so.

Something else will go there...just a question of what...the when will be as it becomes available...
I used to work in DC across from the White House. The plan (before Trump came along) was to relocate the FBI in the suburbs. The problem for Trump was another hotel might be built on the lot where the FBI building is now.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to work in DC across from the White House. The plan (before Trump came along) was to relocate the FBI in the suburbs. The problem for Trump was another hotel might be built on the lot where the FBI building is now.

Another hotel won't hurt him in any fashion.
There's a need for more than what exists there now.
It might actually help. Available rooms means larger groups can likely meet.
There's a ton of hotels in Maryland because of the lack closer in. The museums, embassies, and IRS buildings overrun the place now.

Reactions: historyb

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad for that priest that his own bishop thought his statement was completely inappropriate. Maybe he should consider moving to Texas?

Wisconsin bishop says 'both sides' urge response to priest's 'divisive' video - TheCatholicSpirit.com

The bishop of La Crosse, Wisconsin, said Sept. 9 that he has privately begun “applying Gospel principles” to correct a pastor who in a video says Catholics who are Democrats must “repent” of their support for the party or “face the fires of hell.”

“Canon law indicates that before penalties are imposed, we need to ensure that fraternal correction, rebuke or other means of pastoral solicitude will not be sufficient to repair the scandal,” Bishop William P. Callahan said in a statement about Father James Altman, pastor of St. James the Less Parish in La Crosse, and his video.
If I was his bishop, I'd order him to study the list of mortal sins.

All that is sayings is the one complaining should First take his complaint directly to the other person...or a pastoral counsel.

Maybe he did, and he was shooed away. And elected a more widened approach outside of the confines of Catholic counsel.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

LOL.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another hotel won't hurt him in any fashion.
There's a need for more than what exists there now.
It might actually help. Available rooms means larger groups can likely meet.
There's a ton of hotels in Maryland because of the lack closer in. The museums, embassies, and IRS buildings overrun the place now.
Business is down during the pandemic. He's been trying to sell that hotel and can't get what he wants for it. If he sold it now, he'd take a loss. If news came out that a new hotel was being built next to it, it would lower the value of his hotel even more.

Reactions: JohnDB