Certain young man fled naked ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The unregenerate have no choice. There powerless, their life is prized above all. They run out off their own shoes to keep it. I’m sure he beat his own shadow out of there.
They had not yet been endued with power from on high, at Pentecost. (It's hard for me to understand how ppl can say that the church and Israel are the same, with Pentecost having supposedly little significance.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That he was only wrapped in a cloth, rather than fully dressed. My understanding is that a youth might go about that way, while an adult would not.

Being only wrapped in a cloth, when they tried to grab him, they just got a handful of sheet, the fellow running away.

Again, only my understanding, I wouldn't make book on it.

Much love!
mark
Maybe it was less socially unacceptable for a young man to go naked than for a grown man to do so?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it was less socially unacceptable for a young man to go naked than for a grown man to do so?

Hi farouk,

I don't see that he was going around naked, just more casually dress, instead of tunic and robe, with undergarments, he was wrapped in a sheet. I don't think he planned on being naked, but when Jesus was taken, and he was grabbed, he lost his covering.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi farouk,

I don't see that he was going around naked, just more casually dress, instead of tunic and robe, with undergarments, he was wrapped in a sheet. I don't think he planned on being naked, but when Jesus was taken, and he was grabbed, he lost his covering.

Much love!
Oh I see what you mean...

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK this is when they came to get Jesus in the garden where he was praying .

Mark 14:50-52 (KJV)

50 And they all forsook him, and fled.
51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

Who is this young man
and why was it important for it to be recorded for us to know ?

Any OT prophecy ?
Who told Mark about it because all the disciples except Judas fled.
Well I guess this young man could have told them about what happened later ????

The traditional explanation is that it was Mark himself.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John in his Gospel also refers to himself obliquely also, in a comparable way.

Yes, John's gospel often refers to "the disciple whom Jesus loved". This used to be a head-scratcher for me until one day, it occurred to me that the name "John" means "beloved of God". A very common theme for the gospel of John was the divinity of Jesus--it may have been another way to refer to Jesus' divinity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, John's gospel often refers to "the disciple whom Jesus loved". This used to be a head-scratcher for me until one day, it occurred to me that the name "John" means "beloved of God". A very common theme for the gospel of John was the divinity of Jesus--it may have been another way to refer to Jesus' divinity.
Food for thought indeed.

As regards Mark's apparent reference to himself in Mark 14, I wonder whether the significance of his nakedness in verse 52 is simply cultural (and if so, what?) or something else also?

(I must say I had not particularly noticed this until the OP drew our attention to it.)

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First recorded incident of streaking. The lesson is don't go around in a sheet with nothing on underneath. That is the interpretation.

Honestly, I've never studied it, but have wondered as to its meaning and purpose. My above guess is an example of how some arrive at dogma and will not be swayed otherwise. :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
First recorded incident of streaking. The lesson is don't go around in a sheet with nothing on underneath. That is the interpretation.

Honestly, I've never studied it, but have wondered as to its meaning and purpose. My above guess is an example of how some arrive at dogma and will not be swayed otherwise. :D
So are you being dogmatic here about underclothes as well?

I hadn't thought of the work 'streaking' here, but I guess it fits...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Of course, that's why we now have Under Armour. :)
Oh okay...

I think that 100 years ago, even among Christians there were rather more stringent ideas about what constituted nudity; even men were supposed to bathe with a swimsuit top. I'm not sure that in Antiquity the custom was so self-conscious.

Today Christians - even in North America - don't try to restrict men from swimming in trunks only; although in the USA (not so much Canada) topless sunbathing for women is often frowned on, it is very widespread in Europe.

Clearly norms and expectations in this whole area differ quite widely even among various Western countries.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: I hope this does not diverge too much from the OP.

Overall the passage from Mark 14 which began the discussion is intended to be solemn and sobering and instructive.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay...

I think that 100 years ago, even among Christians there were rather more stringent ideas about what constituted nudity; even men were supposed to bathe with a swimsuit top. I'm not sure that in Antiquity the custom was so self-conscious.

Today Christians - even in North America - don't try to restrict men from swimming in trunks only; although in the USA (not so much Canada) topless sunbathing for women is often frowned on, it is very widespread in Europe.

Clearly norms and expectations in this whole area differ quite widely even among various Western countries.
Um, OK.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: I hope this does not diverge too much from the OP.

Overall the passage from Mark 14 which began the discussion is intended to be solemn and sobering and instructive.
And there followed him a certain young man,.... Some think this was John, the beloved disciple, and the youngest of the disciples; others, that it was James, the brother of our Lord; but he does not seem to be any of the disciples of Christ, since he is manifestly distinguished from them, who all forsook him and fled: some have thought, that he was a young man of the house, where Christ and his disciples ate their passover; who had followed him to the garden, and still followed him, to see what would be the issue of things: but it seems most likely, that he was one that lived in an house in Gethsemane, or in or near the garden; who being awaked out of sleep with the noise of a band of soldiers, and others with them, leaped out of bed, and ran out in his shirt, and followed after them, to know what was the matter:

having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; which was either his shirt in which he lay, or one of the sheets, which he took and wrapped himself in, not staying to put on his clothes: though the word "Sindon", is used both by the Targumists d and Talmudists e for a linen garment; and sometimes even for the outer garment, to which the fringes were fastened f; and he might take up this in haste, and slip it on, without putting on any inner garment: the word "body", is not in the text, and the phrase επι γυμνου, may be rendered, "upon his nakedness"; and answers to ערות, in Ge 9:23 and Le 20:11 (refs2), and the meaning be, he had only a piece of linen wrapped about his middle, to cover his nakedness; and in this garb ran out, to see what was doing:

and the young men laid hold on him. The Roman soldiers, who were commonly so called: so David's soldiers are called "young men", that were with him, 1Sa 21:4; these attempted to lay hold on this young man, taking him to be a disciple of Christ, or one at least affected to him, and did take hold of his linen cloth. The Vulgate Latin, Syriac, Arabic, and Persic versions, leave out the words, "the young men". The design of Mark in relating this incident, is to show the rage and fury of these men; who were for sparing none that appeared to be or were thought to be the followers of Christ; so that the preservation of the disciples was entirely owing to the wonderful power of Christ.

-- John Gill

Reactions: Laish