Change of name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did Jesus change some of the apostles names?
Names represent character in scripture.

1Sa_25:25 Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial, even Nabal: for as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him: but I thine handmaid saw not the young men of my lord, whom thou didst send.​

So, Jesus changes many names to match the new character, or to the character He seeks or desires of us.

So Jacob was given a new name, Israel. Abram was given the name Abraham, Sarai to Sarah, etc.

Reactions: John Caldwell

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks @ReChoired for your explanation.

I have a feeling that Jesus gave different names to help those reborn to stay aware that their old self has been put away for a new life (with a new name).

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And when we get to Heaven, we all get a new name!

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” Revelation 2:17 NKJV

B

brakelite

And when we get to Heaven, we all get a new name!

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” Revelation 2:17 NKJV
It will be interesting introducing ourselves to everyone we know... Nuh, Brendan's not my name now... It's Howonearthdidigethere.

Reactions: Sabertooth