Charismatic Bible Studies #2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kitty litter dream. Not the nicest dream to happen as a Christian, but that was a year ago. LOL.

One thing you can say about the Lord. He keeps it real.

He's like the Bootsy of the spirit world. Very flamboyant with the way He communicates things, but you get the point.

af8e119db7d11112c418ae199c3052a2.jpg

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... I will say, even though he's autistic, he has the fruits of the Spirit. He rarely gets very angry. He loves to help out. He calls old people young...

That I would like.

I wish he were here right now. I could use someday telling me that I'm 25 and buff, and in the prime of life.

Reactions: LILAC

LILAC

May 18, 2021
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That I would like.

I wish he were here right now. I could use someday telling me that I'm 25 and buff, and in the prime of life.
LOL! His way of saying it was, "Hello young man!" or "Hello young lady!" They'd look at him weird and we'd just smile at them awkwardly. You know, before your face had to be covered up. haha

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought I was supposed to be in deliverance ministry. Turns out it was a test. I have an autistic son and I thought I could bring him to a deliverance conference and have him be healed. Then I was looking into hypnosis by the Spirit of the Lord. I finally saw the resemblance. This deliverance stuff went on for about 15 months. Nothing worked. He wasn't healed. All I was ever told was "keep going until something happens!" I'll tell you this. He got a little bit better once I stopped what I was doing. He gets nervous when I openly speak about Biblical truths. He will hide himself in the bathroom when I do this. The text that gets him worked up is Mark chapter 9, interestingly enough. As a mom, I'm not sure what to do or what the next step might be. We are not involved in any church and were recently revoked of the membership we did have at our last church, which is fine by us. They're steering people in the wrong direction anyway.

So... I will say, even though he's autistic, he has the fruits of the Spirit. He rarely gets very angry. He loves to help out. He calls old people young... he sees the good in little things that we take for granted. Some days when I ask him if he's ready to see Jesus his face lights up. On other days, he gets grumbly. All in all, I can't complain about him as a person. He just does not have a "typical" mindset, if you will. It might be more of a ME issue than anything else.

Bless you and your son, sister. Never can go wrong with the Psalms! And does he like music? Maybe scriptures to music would help?

LILAC

May 18, 2021
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bless you and your son, sister. Never can go wrong with the Psalms! And does he like music? Maybe scriptures to music would help?
Thank you. :)
He does enjoy music. I know it sounds so primary but he loves the Wee Sing Bible songs. He just smiles when he hears the kids singing. He also likes instrumental and orchestra hymns.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! His way of saying it was, "Hello young man!" or "Hello young lady!" They'd look at him weird and we'd just smile at them awkwardly. You know, before your face had to be covered up. haha

I know a couple autistic at the preschool where I work. They are very sweet/kind kids.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. :)
He does enjoy music. I know it sounds so primary but he loves the Wee Sing Bible songs. He just smiles when he hears the kids singing. He also likes instrumental and orchestra hymns.

Oh yes, I love those. How old is he?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Never been a deliverance guy myself either. I've participated in ministries where the pastor engaged in it, but I never did personally.

I did study it quite a bit, though. Anything to do with the war between God and Satan in the spirit world always drew my interest, especially when I first got saved.
I think that the type of teaching I got when I was a young believer in the AOG church in the late 1960s that anyone can cast demons out of people, makes inexperienced novices think they can do what the experienced big boys can do. The deliverance ministry is not for everyone, and much harm can be done by wet-behind-the-ears twits seeing a demon under every bush, accusing their mother-in-law of having a demon, or trying to cast demons out of those they happen to disagree with.

I had a disagreement with some young AOG guy and he turned around accused me of having a demon of variance. I just laughed at him. I found out later that he tried to have a ministry among transvestites in the city red light district, and ended up engaging in homosexual nooky with them. An example of a young fool thinking he is more mature and experienced than he actually was.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I thought I was supposed to be in deliverance ministry. Turns out it was a test. I have an autistic son and I thought I could bring him to a deliverance conference and have him be healed. Then I was looking into hypnosis by the Spirit of the Lord. I finally saw the resemblance. This deliverance stuff went on for about 15 months. Nothing worked. He wasn't healed. All I was ever told was "keep going until something happens!" I'll tell you this. He got a little bit better once I stopped what I was doing. He gets nervous when I openly speak about Biblical truths. He will hide himself in the bathroom when I do this. The text that gets him worked up is Mark chapter 9, interestingly enough. As a mom, I'm not sure what to do or what the next step might be. We are not involved in any church and were recently revoked of the membership we did have at our last church, which is fine by us. They're steering people in the wrong direction anyway.

So... I will say, even though he's autistic, he has the fruits of the Spirit. He rarely gets very angry. He loves to help out. He calls old people young... he sees the good in little things that we take for granted. Some days when I ask him if he's ready to see Jesus his face lights up. On other days, he gets grumbly. All in all, I can't complain about him as a person. He just does not have a "typical" mindset, if you will. It might be more of a ME issue than anything else.
This is the problem with those fanatics who think that every depression or syndrome is demonic, and the damage they cause to innocent lives is tragic. It is similar to the one-eyed religious fanatics who teach sick people that it is a mortal sin to go to the doctor and to take medication. I wonder how many preventable medical conditions have caused unnecessary deaths which would have been prevented if those sick people had been counselled to seek medical help and not to stop taking their medication unless the person who prescribed it told them to stop?

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a Pentecostal minister run up to me when preaching the Bible, saying "Get OUT of him, in the Name of Jesus Christ!"

Being 6'6", I looked down at him and said "Don't you know you can't expel God's spirit."

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the type of teaching I got when I was a young believer in the AOG church in the late 1960s that anyone can cast demons out of people, makes inexperienced novices think they can do what the experienced big boys can do. The deliverance ministry is not for everyone, and much harm can be done by wet-behind-the-ears twits seeing a demon under every bush, accusing their mother-in-law of having a demon, or trying to cast demons out of those they happen to disagree with.

LoL! I got a good chuckle out of that.
I had a disagreement with some young AOG guy and he turned around accused me of having a demon of variance. I just laughed at him. I found out later that he tried to have a ministry among transvestites in the city red light district, and ended up engaging in homosexual nooky with them. An example of a young fool thinking he is more mature and experienced than he actually was.

I would have wondered what a "spirit of variance" was. Obviously couldn't be good, LoL.

LILAC

May 18, 2021
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had a Pentecostal minister run up to me when preaching the Bible, saying "Get OUT of him, in the Name of Jesus Christ!"

Being 6'6", I looked down at him and said "Don't you know you can't expel God's spirit."
WOW! I cannot even imagine. Good for you for "standing up" to him! lol

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
II. What is the Holy Spirit’s work? What Does He Do? (Part 1) —

The question for this study is this: How has the Spirit of God worked in your life in any (or all) of the ways below?

A. He purifies believers.

Matthew 3:11-12 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and Fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

• Greek expert D.A. Carson says the grammatical construction “suggests a unified concept, Spirit-fire or the like” (Expositor’s Bible Commentary on Matthew, p. 105). Carson adds that “there are good reasons for taking ‘fire’ as a purifying agent along with the Holy Spirit” (105).

B. He comes upon believers for certain tasks.

Luke 1:15-17, 67 …[John] will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord in the spirit and power of Elijah… [67] and his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied.

• The great prophet John the Baptist was empowered for His ministry by the infilling of the Holy Spirit. By the Spirit’s enablement John turned many Israelites back to the Lord. And He served as the contemporary prophet announcing the coming of the Lord Jesus to earth.

• John’s father Zechariah, when “filled with the Spirit,” began to prophesy a mighty message about the coming Savior and John’s prophetic introduction of Him.

C. He is our Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Advocate.

John 14:16-17a And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to help you and be with you forever — the Spirit of truth (NIV).

• Some other translations: “another Helper (NASB) … another Counselor (RSV) … another Comforter (The Amplified reads, "Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby").

D. He will teach us, and give us recall of what we have learned.

John 14:26: But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

• God gives us human teachers of His word (Ephesians 4:11). But the ultimate, infallible Teacher is the Holy Spirit (1 John 2:27). He inspired the Scriptures (2 Peter 1:20-21), and therefore He is the One perfectly qualified to teach us their meaning.

• Not only does the Spirit teach us the things of God, He also gives us recall of these things when we need them. He will “bring to our remembrance” the things we have learned about the Lord.

E. He will show the future.

John 16:13, KJV …when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth … and He will show you things to come.

• He has shown us things to come in the hundreds of predictive prophecies in the Scriptures. And as He deems it to be needed, He gives to individual believers specific guidance and insight for their own futures.

There is not other force like it sir, God's holy spirit has been used for so many things, matter of fact it keeps all of us alive Ps 146:4. It was used in creation Gen 1:2, as you mentioned it is a helper for those who are baptized by it.

What I found extremely interesting about the holy spirit and Jesus, did you know that Jesus did not have it until he returned to heaven, it was then that Jesus received the gift of the holy spirit. Acts 2:33 Do you find that interesting as well?

We might wonder why this is, since God's spirit descended upon him at his baptism, so he obviously had holy spirit at that time, and there was a tremendous change in him. We believe his memory of heaven was given him at that time. We think the difference is that he was given the power to use the holy spirit as he willed in his new position as God's right hand man. Do you find this interesting as well?

Reactions: theQuestioneer

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not other force like it sir, God's holy spirit has been used for so many things, matter of fact it keeps all of us alive Ps 146:4. It was used in creation Gen 1:2, as you mentioned it is a helper for those who are baptized by it.

What I found extremely interesting about the holy spirit and Jesus, did you know that Jesus did not have it until he returned to heaven, it was then that Jesus received the gift of the holy spirit. Acts 2:33 Do you find that interesting as well?

We might wonder why this is, since God's spirit descended upon him at his baptism, so he obviously had holy spirit at that time, and there was a tremendous change in him. We believe his memory of heaven was given him at that time. We think the difference is that he was given the power to use the holy spirit as he willed in his new position as God's right hand man. Do you find this interesting as well?

Robert, there are several problems with your post, but this really isn't the tread for going through it. My apologies for that, but I was hoping to keep the subject matter in these studies centered on the spiritual gifts...

Anyway, I'd be glad to discuss these things with you, only not on this thread. If you want to create another one, or maybe just put it on the shelf for a future time, I'm good with it. But for now, forgive me but I'd rather keep this thread focused on Charismatic faith and practice.

God bless,
- H

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes the Lord will speak a stern rebuke, albeit in love, hoping to correct not condemn.
I don't really see God that way.

I don't see a "sternness" in Him, well, maybe one time, I think, OK, but it was more a reminder of topics already addressed. The HOPE which God has is His knowledge of what will happen based on what He does. There is no "seeing if Mark comes around, or if We have to do something more." God knows exactly what will work with me. I think His chastisement is more along the lines of precise and effective behavioral modification.

He turns my foot out of the way - causes me to walk in dangerous places, through dark valleys - knowing that I will stay the closer to Him for it. That is, if I allow that healing to come - repairing some of that corruption of the flesh (character building) - then I walk stronger, more sure. Otherwise I'll find out that was just Part 1.

I have a real comfort in this. I know that my Father is Perfect and Wonderful, and not pitying when pity should not be given, for instance, when the corruption of my flesh is so overwhelming as to make impossible a healthy Christian life.

Take the addict for an example. Personally I see pretty much all flesh activities to function in similar form to addiction. Andrew Farley has an interesting though, calling the "flesh" to be "the old way of feeling good about yourself". I had to think about that awhile. It's an interesting thought!

The drug addicted Christian who does not find the ability to become free from their addiction may find that God may do any number of things with them. He could simply free them in a moment of complete deliverance. He may direct them to medical means of unhooking themself from the drug. He may show them His promise, and give them the faith to overcome, and they stop using. He may give them a tiny victory, then allow a huge defeat, then victory, then defeat, over and over again, in His process of training us in dependence.

He may use physical illness or consequence to inhibit our ability to use. Or any number of things. But He won't just leave me with my problems!

The leading of the Holy Spirit is like the voice of the Master Craftsman speaking in my ear, and chastisement is when He picks up His hammer, not to beat me with it, but to form me into the image of Christ.

And I love Him for it! It's a part of our intimacy. Our shared life, that no one else is a part of, just Him and me. I know that whenever I am stuck, not able to get past something, if that remains true when it's time to deal with that thing, God is not shy to use "force tools". I like the jeweler's screwdrivers, but I know His got prybars and sledgehammers for when they are needed.

Knowing God's chastisement is a safety net for me. He will NEVER act outside of love for me!

Much love!