Charles T. Russell Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gunther

May 9, 2009
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ran across a Bible Study offerred by a group called the "Bible Students" by Charles T. Russell. I found out later that this was the root of the Jehovah Witnesses, which I make a practice to never read any of their material.Were the JW's just an offshoot of Mr. Russell's study? Is he considered to be a solid Christian with reliable studies? Are there any warnings about the "Bible Students" or Mr. Russell?

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
gunther;70847]I ran across a Bible Study offerred by a group called the "Bible Students" by Charles T. Russell. I found out later that this was the root of the Jehovah Witnesses said:
Two of the better sources to answer your question than myself would be WWW.Carm.org or Got Questions.org.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
No disrespect bigdummy, but C.A.R.M can't even get straight on what they believe on tongues. I doubt they will be much help with anything else.Pastor Taze Russell died around 1916. His belief system is mostly discarded by the J.W. Once he died, the Watch tower that he started was taken over and most of Pastor's Russell's teaching were thrown out. He did not start the J.W movement as they have some radical different teaching that what Pastor Russell taught.Pastor Russell felt that not everyone had a chance to hear the Gospel, so God being a good God would make sure that everyone would be enlightened with full truth before Judgment. In other words, When you die, you were put on some kind of probation until the last days when you would be given the truth, and make a proper decision about who's side your on. There are many, many scriptures that contradict this teaching, but it was 1916, and most of the main churches were preaching everyone into hell. Pastor Russell felt people would not get the chance to see that God is good. In short. Jesus said take heed what you hear. Not everything we hear that people call the Word of God is in truth the Word of God, on how God meant it. We have to discern by our inward witness the Holy Ghost if something is sounding off, and untrue. The Greater one inside us is our teacher, and is faithful if we take time to listen. Rely on HIM, not others opinion of someone.Jesus Is Lord