Christ in secular marketplace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Brothers & sisters in Christ,

I invite you to join me in taking the claims of Christ to the Internet public square.

I have written an article for an Australian e-journal, On Line Opinion, that was published today, 13th April, titled: 'Cricket ball-tampering disease in all of us'. You may not know much about our Australian national sport of cricket, but I've provided links to give you some idea of this ball-tampering in a South African test match.

When I lived in Anaheim CA, I went to watch cricket matches on an oval in the greater LA area. A USA cricket team competes in the International World Cup of cricket.

Already there have been some hostile, anti-Christian responses to my article, that had nothing whatsoever to do with the its content.

For those of you who identify as evangelical Christians, as I do, I encourage you to make 'Comments' about the substance of what I wrote.

Oz

Reactions: bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brothers & sisters in Christ,

I invite you to join me in taking the claims of Christ to the Internet public square.

I have written an article for an Australian e-journal, On Line Opinion, that was published today, 13th April, titled: 'Cricket ball-tampering disease in all of us'. You may not know much about our Australian national sport of cricket, but I've provided links to give you some idea of this ball-tampering in a South African test match.

When I lived in Anaheim CA, I went to watch cricket matches on an oval in the greater LA area. A USA cricket team competes in the International World Cup of cricket.

Already there have been some hostile, anti-Christian responses to my article, that had nothing whatsoever to do with the its content.

For those of you who identify as evangelical Christians, as I do, I encourage you to make 'Comments' about the substance of what I wrote.

Oz

I don't see where rules of a game children play and adults play for moneys and fame have anything to with a "Christian world view".

ethics isn't a uniquely Christian precept you know. one agrees to said rules therefore agrees to judgements hand down by those in charge of such.

for one, cheating or not, it is the Lord of hosts the is the Judge of all contested outcomes. besides there isn't a professional sport played that the participants aren't seeking the advantage. if you where at war, you would have to seek the advantage fair or not or you die?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ethics isn't a uniquely Christian precept you know. one agrees to said rules therefore agrees to judgements hand down by those in charge of such.

DP,

I understand that. However, one of the differences between Christian ethics and secular ethics is absolutes vs relativism.

Absolutes are true in all cultures for all time. They do not change. Telling lies is always wrong.

What is ethical relativism? Relativism is the position that all points of view are equally valid and the individual determines what is true and relative for them. Relativism theorizes that truth is different for different people, not simply that different people believe different things to be true. While there are relativists in science and mathematics, ethical relativism is the most common variety of relativism (All About Philosophy: Ethical Relativism).​

There are horrific consequences for relativists who follow their ethical principles to the end results.

Oz

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DP,

I understand that. However, one of the differences between Christian ethics and secular ethics is absolutes vs relativism.

Absolutes are true in all cultures for all time. They do not change. Telling lies is always wrong.

What is ethical relativism? Relativism is the position that all points of view are equally valid and the individual determines what is true and relative for them. Relativism theorizes that truth is different for different people, not simply that different people believe different things to be true. While there are relativists in science and mathematics, ethical relativism is the most common variety of relativism (All About Philosophy: Ethical Relativism).​

There are horrific consequences for relativists who follow their ethical principles to the end results.

Oz

so you're saying God is wrong, incorrect, a bad person here, correct?:

1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. 21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. 22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

and you are way wrong, morals are the agreement and the agreement is relative to those in the agreement, or covenant if you like. even Paul states that those not of Christ are not bound to Christ or the Ten Commandments.

God makes things do things expressed in His Word by His Power no agreements necessary, but with man He makes covenant, and those laws in the covenants are relative to those in the covenant. those not in the covenant it means nothing to.

Russians are bound to the laws of their land and US citizens are bound to the laws of their land, but Russians are not bound to the ways or laws of US citizens. those not in the Kingdom of God are not bound to the laws of the Kingdom of God, even if it is the law of Faith.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
so you're saying God is wrong, incorrect, a bad person here, correct?:

1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. 20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. 21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. 22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

and you are way wrong, morals are the agreement and the agreement is relative to those in the agreement, or covenant if you like. even Paul states that those not of Christ are not bound to Christ or the Ten Commandments.

God makes things do things expressed in His Word by His Power no agreements necessary, but with man He makes covenant, and those laws in the covenants are relative to those in the covenant. those not in the covenant it means nothing to.

Russians are bound to the laws of their land and US citizens are bound to the laws of their land, but Russians are not bound to the ways or laws of US citizens. those not in the Kingdom of God are not bound to the laws of the Kingdom of God, even if it is the law of Faith.

Do you follow the ethics of relativism?

What happens when the laws of a country clash with the ethics in Scripture? Which do you obey?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What happens when the laws of a country clash with the ethics in Scripture? Which do you obey?

you're not familiar with world history are you?

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Lord states that we are to be subject to laws of the land in which we dwell, however as a Christian you follow your conscious (based of course upon what you have learned of the commandments of Christ), if your conscious convicts you that something is wrong then to you it is sin, and you must do what you deem is right before the Lord, however this does not imply that since you deem something wrong that you are to enforce your views on another.

Here is where the professing church has erred, they are constantly attempting to enforce their will (what they deem to be right) upon the nations of this world, the Lord did not authorize this. We are to be an example to the world, in how we conduct ourselves before the world, not to attempt to force them to comply.

What got the professing church in trouble to begin with was when it joined with the world and began to meddle in the affairs of men, their politics, government and other activities such as what your talking about here, sports. As soon as they entered this fray they immediately began to push their agenda, forgetting that they were only to be seen and read of men, not to force anyone to comply to their standards.

Nor does being "seen and read of men" imply making a spectacle of oneself as many professed believers are ofttimes found doing. They like to make a great show of themselves, 'Look at me, see how pious I am', truly as the Lord stated they have already received all the reward they will ever get.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't see where rules of a game children play and adults play for moneys and fame have anything to with a "Christian world view".
To what are you referring?
they do seem to fit the Western Christian worldview only too well, but i have to agree with him in spirit; we enjoy contests with an implied winner and loser, which reinforce the Hegelian (satan's) dialectic. i'm off to watch golf, see ya :)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord states that we are to be subject to laws of the land in which we dwell, however as a Christian you follow your conscious (based of course upon what you have learned of the commandments of Christ), if your conscious convicts you that something is wrong then to you it is sin, and you must do what you deem is right before the Lord, however this does not imply that since you deem something wrong that you are to enforce your views on another.

Here is where the professing church has erred, they are constantly attempting to enforce their will (what they deem to be right) upon the nations of this world, the Lord did not authorize this. We are to be an example to the world, in how we conduct ourselves before the world, not to attempt to force them to comply.

What got the professing church in trouble to begin with was when it joined with the world and began to meddle in the affairs of men, their politics, government and other activities such as what your talking about here, sports. As soon as they entered this fray they immediately began to push their agenda, forgetting that they were only to be seen and read of men, not to force anyone to comply to their standards.

Nor does being "seen and read of men" imply making a spectacle of oneself as many professed believers are ofttimes found doing. They like to make a great show of themselves, 'Look at me, see how pious I am', truly as the Lord stated they have already received all the reward they will ever get.

correct, ambassadors are present in a kingdom they are a foreigner in, for the sake of the Kingdom they are a part of, not to tell or force the nation they are a guest in what to do. they are there as an out post for those called to be in the kingdom they represent (in the case of the Kingdom of God). hence the embassy is there by permission of the host nation, and the host nation is not bound to the laws of the kingdom of the embassy they host. a "church" is to act as an embassy, for Christ, its the Lord's job to take over the world when the time comes.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you're not familiar with world history are you?

You didn't answer my questions. I ask them again:

What happens when the laws of a country clash with the ethics in Scripture? Which do you obey?​

Why did Corrie ten Boom, a watchmaker, hide the Jews from the Nazis in the closet of her watchmaker shop in Haarlem, Netherlands?

From where do you gain your ethical values?

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Harvest,

Please come to my country and initiate a campaign that contradicts the message of the Bible promoted by the confessing church. So are these errors forced on the nations of the world?
  • It's OK to steal anyone's goods and money if you want to.
  • Shooting students in schools is accepted by the government because the govt is allowed to make up its own morals of right and wrong.
  • Raping women and children should be allowed as this is a free society that allows freedom to do what you want.
  • Lying to anyone should be part and parcel of living in a democracy.
So it's OK for the church not to impose the rules of the 10 commandments on society but it's also OK for the nation to make up its own rules of what is right and wrong.

Are you going to promote these consequences when you bring your values Down Under?

Oz

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't answer my questions. I ask them again:

What happens when the laws of a country clash with the ethics in Scripture? Which do you obey?​

Why did Corrie ten Boom, a watchmaker, hide the Jews from the Nazis in the closet of her watchmaker shop in Haarlem, Netherlands?

From where do you gain your ethical values?

Oz
I did, you just weren't satisfied with it, oh well.