Christ, Our True Light

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 10-21-23 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 5 5784, 29th. Fall Day

2nd. Torah Portion After Tabernacles 2023 Noah Genesis 6:9 , 11:22

Today's Devotional

Read: John 1:1–14 | Bible in a Year: Isaiah 62–64; 1 Timothy 1

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness. John 8:12

“Go to the light!” That’s what my husband advised as we struggled to find our way out of a big city hospital on a recent Sunday afternoon. We’d visited a friend, and when we exited an elevator, we couldn’t find anyone during weekend hours to point us to the front doors—and the brilliant Colorado sunlight. Roaming around half-lit hallways, we finally encountered a man who saw our confusion. “These hallways all look the same,” he said. “But the exit’s this way.”

With his directions, we found the exit doors—leading, indeed, to the bright sunlight.
Jesus invited confused, lost unbelievers to follow Him out of their spiritual darkness. “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12). In His light, we can see stumbling blocks, sin, and blind spots, allowing Him to remove such darkness from our lives as He shines His light into our hearts and on our path. Like the pillar of fire that led the Israelites through the wilderness, Christ’s light brings us God’s presence, protection, and guidance.

As John explained, Jesus is “the true light” (John 1:9) and “the darkness has not overcome it” (v. 5). Instead of wandering through life, we can seek Him for direction as He lights the way.
What areas in your life need the purifying light of Christ? When you seek His light, what stumbling blocks will you avoid?
In a world filled with darkness, shine Your true light, dear Jesus, in my heart and on my path.
For further study, read The Intimacy of Prayer: Stepping into God’s Presence.

INSIGHT​

John declares, “In the beginning was the Word” (1:1), which immediately establishes a connection to Genesis 1:1. The apostle tells us this creator of the world is also our very life and light (John 1:4), and in verse 14, he plainly identifies this Word as Jesus. John will return to this theme in his first letter when he says of Christ: “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes . . . and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). John recorded what he directly observed. His writings are a firsthand account of God in the flesh.

By Patricia Raybon |October 21st, 2023

Christ, Person/Work John One:1-14

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited: