Christian Ethics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
In Australia we regularly have public discussions about the merits of education in the government school system verses private (usually Christian) schools. Because of the much lower public contribution to private schools there are very good financial reasons from the government perspective to support private schools. However there are also counter claims of 'elitism' and 'privilege' which does not sit well in what we like to think is a very egalitarian society.

Proponents of private schools often point to the importance of learning Christian ethics and values which are perceived to be lacking in the public sector education system. Arguments invitably arise as to what distinguishes Christian ethics and values from the secular. If Christians merely point to the ten commandments as the guide to their values, secularists can rightly point to the laws of our country which both correlate quite well and are more detailed than the words God gave to Moses.

I think a better distinction comes from the words Jesus spoke and the example he gave:
[sup]43[/sup]But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, [sup]44[/sup]and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. [sup]45[/sup]For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Mark 10:43-45
I believe there is a much greater emphasis on service in the Christian faith than there is in the secular world, or even any other religion. The attitude of service is also what we expect of our leaders. If our leaders are not working in the best interests of the people (ie serving them) then democracy provides us with a mechanism to choose someone who will serve.

This creates an interesting dissonance in western society. I suspect it also applies throughout the world. We expect our leaders to serve us, and yet if we were called before our head of state, most people would feel a sense of subservience - an expectation they would serve at the request of the leader.

So when does service become leadership? A thesaurus certainly won't show a match of these two words, but can we consider 'Service' and 'Leadership' to be synonymous?

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
secularists can rightly point to the laws of our country which both correlate quite well and are more detailed than the words God gave to Moses.

I am so Glad that being saved is really not this complicated..............Praise God.

Jesus Is Lord.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
In Australia we regularly have public discussions about the merits of education in the government school system verses private (usually Christian) schools.
So when does service become leadership? A thesauras certainly won't show a match of these two words, but can we consider 'Service' and 'Leadership' to be synonymous?
Interesting topic Streetsweeper.
Having had the blessing of affording Christian Education for my 14-year old daughter since pre-school, the school being located in a multi-culturally diverse community, I have been able to follow the lives of her peers and keep abreast of the administrators and staff. The school itself is placed in the upper 5% of the country for its academics and performance overall. Since kindergarten she has been bringing homework home every school day, and now spends nearly 3-5 hours a night staying on top of the requirements. Her abilities and personality have made her a favorite of classmates and teachers alike. She has been profoundly touched by the Lord and I feel comfortable to say that she is one of the elect of God.

When I consider the many students in her group, and other groups as well, I see a definite result of their education leading in the two directions you speak of. But the one thing that propels one person ahead of others is the recognition of, and compliance to, authority. It is the students that will not slander their teachers, or fall into the temptation to malign the school leadership, that show within themselves an attitude of submission to authority and rule, these are the ones that appear to be grasping service and leadership as it is meant to be. Many are the ones who will not be governed in the classroom, who object to being moderated, who place themselves ahead of the rest without being promoted, and yet still are receiving the same religious training and instruction.

I would have to place much of that disparity on the parent/s. Children are a mirror of our own condition before the Lord, and they will naturally imitate what they have learned at home. If there is hypocrisy, self-exaltation, or deceit to be found in the parent/s then the child will exhibit these same proclivities, without fail. If the parent/s are servants, humble, and truthful, it is inevitable that the child will be conscious of those standards for living, except in rare cases where outside influences or the Slanderer have made entrance into the heart.

It is unusual to see service go unmerited, even in the secular world. My bosses, none of them fellow believers, have shown preference to me over the next qualified man, soley based upon submission to their authority, and the fruit of working as unto the Lord. Others who would have taken over my place, even conspiring to see me removed, have themselves been removed. God makes a way for us, for nothing will separate us from His love and beneficience.

The heart of a servant must come from a realization of who God really is, and who we are in His sight. Humility and compassion and mercy are the hallmarks of servanthood, and true servanthood is learned by trial and affliction of the soul. Any other way is mimicry and false. If the parent/s are not being excercised and chastened of the Lord, then the unbroken and unyielding soul of the child will continue in obstinacy and ignorance of God's will and ways, and thoughts of service and leadership will be subservient to selfishness and tyranny.
fivesense

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
I am so Glad that being saved is really not this complicated..............Praise God.

Maybe.
Christ provides the model for Christian life. he is unquestionably our Lord. He is the Good Shepherd who leads us and he is the suffering servant who gave his life for us.

How do we show Christ in our lives? How do we walk the talk?