Christian Fiction, Sci fi,make believe...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You see, The Perfect is a He and He is never far from anyone.
This is true in another context. But had Paul been alluding to Christ he would have said "When HE who is perfect has come..." and then there would have been no misunderstanding. But Paul actually said "When THAT which is complete is come..." (meaning an inanimate object, even though we know that the Word of God is a living Word, a printed Bible is an inanimate object).

International Standard Version
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will be done away with.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used.
World English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.
New International Version
but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

What remained to be completed was the entire Bible. And the three spiritual gifts related to divine revelation would be operational until that was accomplished. Thus Paul selected only three gifts for termination -- prophecies, tongues, and knowledge (or supernatural knowledge).

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is true in another context. But had Paul been alluding to Christ he would have said "When HE who is perfect has come..." and then there would have been no misunderstanding. But Paul actually said "When THAT which is complete is come..." (meaning an inanimate object, even though we know that the Word of God is a living Word, a printed Bible is an inanimate object).

But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will be done away with.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used.
World English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.

What remained to be completed was the entire Bible. And the three spiritual gifts related to divine revelation would be operational until that was accomplished. Thus Paul selected only three gifts for termination -- prophecies, tongues, and knowledge (or supernatural knowledge).

He may have been talking about when we come into the fullness of all knowledge, understanding and revelation of Christ because we only know in part. Since we live in the body of this tent and only know in part, it stands to reason that he is referring to our entry into the Kingdom of heaven. As it states in verse 12. "but then I shall know just as I also am known." JM2c

Philippians 3 AMP
10 And this, so that I may know Him [experientially, becoming more thoroughly acquainted with Him, understanding the remarkable wonders of His Person more completely] and [in that same way experience] the power of His resurrection [which overflows and is active in believers], and [that I may share] the fellowship of His sufferings, by being continually conformed [inwardly into His likeness even] to His death [dying as He did]; 11 so that I may attain to the resurrection [that will raise me] from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained it [this goal of being Christlike] or have already been made perfect, but I actively press on so that I may take hold of that [perfection] for which Christ Jesus took hold of me and made me His own. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider that I have made it my own yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the [heavenly] prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 All of us who are mature [pursuing spiritual perfection] should have this attitude. And if in any respect you have a different attitude, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us stay true to what we have already attained.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He may have been talking about when we come into the fullness of all knowledge, understanding and revelation of Christ because we only know in part.
I believe there are three different thoughts presented in 1 Corinthians 13. We know the New Testament was not divided into chapters, sections and paragraphs originally. So here is the way I see it.

SECTION I: AGAPE LOVE (CHARITY) IS THE SUPREME GIFT
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things...13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

SECTION 2: THE COMPLETION OF SCRIPTURE
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.10 But when that which is [complete] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

SECTION III. EVEN WITH SCRIPTURE OUR KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST IS INCOMPLETE
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I believe there are three different thoughts presented in 1 Corinthians 13. We know the New Testament was not divided into chapters, sections and paragraphs originally. So here is the way I see it.

SECTION I: AGAPE LOVE (CHARITY) IS THE SUPREME GIFT
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things...13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

SECTION 2: THE COMPLETION OF SCRIPTURE
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.10 But when that which is [complete] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

SECTION III. EVEN WITH SCRIPTURE OUR KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST IS INCOMPLETE
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Point 1 The Fruit is Greater than the Gifts
I agree with your first point. In my opinion, the writer was pointing towards the fact that the gifts of the Spirit are not as important as the fruit of the Spirit ie: Love. The fruit is everlasting [eternal] but the gifts are not everlasting because their existence, their purpose/goal/objective is intended to be used only on the earth. [until we enter heaven or the message of the cross has fulfilled it's mandate]. Note: those who use these gifts outside God's will are in danger of certain future punishment. Matthew 7:21-23.

Point 2 Being Complete in Love
10 But when that which is [complete] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

...then again, perhaps the writer may be referring to the gifts verses the fruit still ie: love being the greatest of all.
Imo the gifts are the tools given by the HS, used by believers, which bear fruit of the Spirit like love, peace, joy etc...
note: 1 John 4:12, 1 John 4:17. As a matter of fact the whole chapter of 1 John 4 is relevant to this particular verse. 1 corinthians 13

Point 3

The theme continues but with a different approach. This time the writer is talking about immaturity and maturity. Please read 1 John 4 as it relates closely with 1 Cor 13.... again...JM2C

Reactions: Heart2Soul

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

GOD'S WORD® Translation
World English Bible

Hey, those three gifts seem awfully familiar there Enoch111, LOL Have a Blessed Day!

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have seen these youtube stories.
I am instructed to believe scripture, not stories.
The Bible is sufficient and God-given.