Christian Powerlifters, Bodybuilders, Sports trainers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Hi was just curious to know if there are any other strength trainers or Sports people using this forum.
And if there is, I was wondering if any of you have run in to any conflict as Christians.

As a powerlifter I sometimes struggle with pride being stronger than most and competitive.
Not an arrogant cocky pride, but an "I know Im strong" endorphin testosterone driven feel good type of pride.

Also to sometimes lift a heavy max weight I sometimes have to work myself into a blind rage to get my adrenalin up.

For quite sometime now I have been trying to rectify both of these habits, though I have only had minimal success.

I want to glorify God with the strength he has gifted me, but I still feel like Im only glorifying myself more.

Anyone here understand what Im blabbering on about?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've dabbled in strength sports in times past. The only thing I had a problem with being a Christian is that competitions are usually on weekends, which interferes with Church. So the question is, do I go to compete or do I go to hear the Word of God?

As for you other conflicts.... Don't let them bother you nor get in your way. Remember that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God so those muscles and that strength is of no matter to God. He is looking at the inward man (which is your spiritual side).

Treat the powerlifting and strength sports as a hobby. Hobbies are fun, but not as important as work, family and marriage and certainly not more important (not even close!) as Jesus Christ. But, tarry in the flesh and don't let it get in the way of important things.

As for the "I know I'm strong" pride... Well, pride is never a good thing, but it's not on the level of spiritual pride which is what is more of a concern in the Bible. But even in your everyday life, stay humble! Somewhere there is someone physically stronger than you!

The blind rage and adrenilin needed for max lifting.... Not a problem in my book....

Reactions: Suhar

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
[SIZE=medium]Are sports biblical?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I see it all the time. Some athlete runs the race, scores touch down and raises hands to the sky to thank God. I do not get it. What does God have to do with that? Next day that very same athlete looses to openly homosexual, cross dressing child molester and it means what exactly? Does it mean that God favors that person now? In minds of many it may.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yes there are passages in the Bible about running the race but it is just a proverb. Same way there are proverbs comparing peoples and nations to prostitutes but does it mean an endorsement of prostitution?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]One thing to run around, jump around for some exercise. Another thing is to beat your body up to the point of disability, like most professional sports do.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think Christianity is all about making oneself smaller, child-like so that God can make us great not about beating others, making ourselves greater then others the way sports do. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Massive waste of time, effort, money…. Entertainment and distraction from what, from whom? God! Why would God have anything to do with it?[/SIZE]

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Are sports biblical?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I see it all the time. Some athlete runs the race, scores touch down and raises hands to the sky to thank God. I do not get it. What does God have to do with that? Next day that very same athlete looses to openly homosexual, cross dressing child molester and it means what exactly? Does it mean that God favors that person now? In minds of many it may.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yes there are passages in the Bible about running the race but it is just a proverb. Same way there are proverbs comparing peoples and nations to prostitutes but does it mean an endorsement of prostitution?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]One thing to run around, jump around for some exercise. Another thing is to beat your body up to the point of disability, like most professional sports do.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think Christianity is all about making oneself smaller, child-like so that God can make us great not about beating others, making ourselves greater then others the way sports do. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Massive waste of time, effort, money…. Entertainment and distraction from what, from whom? God! Why would God have anything to do with it?[/SIZE]
Because God wants us to enjoy ourselves. He didn't put us on the Earth to be bored and miserable. Sports are fun and can help us lead healthy lives. When I played tennis in high school that time period was usually when I had the most energy, I actually got more stuff done, and I in general just felt better. A little competition can be fun too, not bad. Just as long as it doesn't get to one's head that winning is the only thing that matters it's okay.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
Because God wants us to enjoy ourselves. He didn't put us on the Earth to be bored and miserable. Sports are fun and can help us lead healthy lives. When I played tennis in high school that time period was usually when I had the most energy, I actually got more stuff done, and I in general just felt better. A little competition can be fun too, not bad. Just as long as it doesn't get to one's head that winning is the only thing that matters it's okay.

[SIZE=medium]The only healthy competition is the one where people are to try to be better in the eyes of God not men.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have never seen anybody improving their health with sports. Never. I have seen a lot of older people complaining about sports injuries though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If you are fat it does not mean that you need tennis, it means that you eat too much! If you sit at front of TV all day it does not mean that you need to play football. It meant that you need to go for a walk instead, plant a garden maybe.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Everybody had most energy at high school age! What does tennis have to do with that? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]If you did not waste a whole lot of energy chasing little yellow ball you would have even more of it![/SIZE]

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yea... Well, thanks for sharing.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]The only healthy competition is the one where people are to try to be better in the eyes of God not men.[/SIZE]

Doesn't God want us to be healthy? That our body is a temple, and should be treated with care?

[SIZE=medium]I have never seen anybody improving their health with sports. Never. I have seen a lot of older people complaining about sports injuries though.[/SIZE]

Just because you personally have never seen anyone affected by the positive benefits of sports, does not mean that it hasn't happened. Here is just one website explaining how sports can be good for people. http://www.sportanddev.org/en/learnmore/sport_and_health/the_health_benefits_of_sport_and_physical_activity/

[SIZE=medium]If you are fat it does not mean that you need tennis, it means that you eat too much! If you sit at front of TV all day it does not mean that you need to play football. It meant that you need to go for a walk instead.[/SIZE]

I hope you're not implying that I'm fat.
Part of staying healthy is to stay physically active. As our society as progressed, we now do less and less than ever before, which means that our bodies do not get the work out that they used to. Even if a person were to eat a healhty amount of food, they would not necessarily be healthy. Like in my case. I'm actually pretty skinny and haven't grown much. I can still fit into a pair of capris from middle school and I'm in college now. And by fit I don't mean have to suck in my gut etc, but just slip on. Given the waistband is kind of elastic, but you get the idea :)
But, I am not physically strong. I can only lift the 45 pound bar at the gym with no weights on it, and even then after awhile my arms just can't take it. I can't run very far or fast. However, when I was in high school and played tennis, I was able to put weights on the bar, not much but some. While in the weight room I made a new friend, which brings me to another reason sports are good, they can create friendships. Nelson Mandela (RIP) used soccer to help build bridges between people.
And FYI, I do take walks, but there are not nearly as effective as tennis or the weight room.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
Just because you personally have never seen anyone affected by the positive benefits of sports, does not mean that it hasn't happened. Here is just one website explaining how sports can be good for people.
Nelson Mandela (RIP) used soccer to help build bridges between people.

I do not need website. I just need eyesite.

By the way Nelson Mandela was a founder and a head of mass murdering Communist organization so he did well building bridges between likeminded people.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, you bunch of armchair sports philosophers.... The fella asked about powerlifting, bodybuilding, strength trainers and sports trainers.... The latter two terms he was asking if there were any strength coaches.... In other words, this guy likes to lift weights and strength train.... It has very little - if anything - to do with sports. Yes, powerlifting is a sport, but nobody's getting paid! Furthermore, he never said he was competing IN the sport.

I ain't jumping on you guys.... You simply don't know what is being discussed here....

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
FHII said:
Ok, you bunch of armchair sports philosophers.... The fella asked about powerlifting, bodybuilding, strength trainers and sports trainers.... The latter two terms he was asking if there were any strength coaches.... In other words, this guy likes to lift weights and strength train.... It has very little - if anything - to do with sports. Yes, powerlifting is a sport, but nobody's getting paid! Furthermore, he never said he was competing IN the sport.

I ain't jumping on you guys.... You simply don't know what is being discussed here....
I do, I was just responding to the other guy (girl?). I actually saw this earlier, but since I don't really lift I left it alone.
Suhar said:
I do not need website. I just need eyesite.

If you only believe in what you only see in front of your limited scope, you will miss out on so much. For example, there are women in America who are sold as sex slaves, we don't see them, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

By the way Nelson Mandela was a founder and a head of mass murdering Communist organization so he did well building bridges between likeminded people.

I was talking specifically about how he used sports, since that's what we were talking about.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
If you only believe in what you only see in front of your limited scope, you will miss out on so much
You are missing a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQUcv95TnI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1sJhdNP3_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vL5xke8opQ

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/media/statistics.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322916/

http://www.shoulderinformation.com/info/shoulder_and_sports/bodybuilding_shoulder.htm

snr5557 said:
I was talking specifically about how he used sports, since that's what we were talking about.

[SIZE=medium]Apparently he used sports to build mass murdering Communist organization.[/SIZE]

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:
You can't discount all of the good things that has come from sports because of some bad things. Like doctore for example, they have made plenty of mistakes in the past, present, and will in the future. But, you wouldn't want doctors to quit their jobs would you? Or how about teachers? They make mistakes as well, but you wouldn't want all education to stop.

I've seen other posts on here from you, and I can tell your life hasn't been easy. Since I don't know you personally I can't really say much, but you seem to have a cynical view on things. Again that's just based on posts online, in the real world you could actually be a very optimistic person. Sports are something that can be a very enjoyable way to pass the time. It can help a person get in shape, loose weight, stay healthy etc. I met and talked to people I probably would not have if it hadn't been for tennis (I usually took only honor courses, so I didn't get to see much of the other students in my school) and my body just felt better during that time. It does teach leadership and how to work in teams. I originally found it difficult to play doubles (when you have two people on your side) because we would either think the other person was going to get the ball or that we were going to get it. It would usually lead to neither of us getting it. But after time went on we learned to communicate better. Although I still prefer to play by myself, if anyone asked to play doubles with me I would do so and not feel stressed about it.

And yes. Mandela was part of a communist organization, but he did use sports to bring people together, and not just those with an interest in interrogating and/or excuting others. Does the term "rainbow nation" ring any bells?

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
Sports are something that can be a very enjoyable way to pass the time.

[SIZE=medium]Just because it is enjoyable it does not mean it is Godly. It is merely a part of Satan's modus operandi.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Satan’s modus operandi[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Just recently realized what is the tool with which Satan controls humans. He does not have to give something to control a person, he just has to stop giving something he already does.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Just that simple!

All the days of your life one experiences oppression, depression, dissatisfaction.... where does it all come from? It comes from Satan. Then one comes across some kind of sin, sinful behavior and... wow! …all that pressure is momentarily lifted. Person feels awesome, released and starts thinking ... it feels so awesome, and natural, I must be "born this way!" Deeper and deeper into the sin he goes chasing that naturally free feeling which now comes at the higher and higher price, of more and more heavily sinful behavior.

One can find another "thing", another behavior, another sin that makes you feel good. Satan gladly trades one sin for another, only God truly sets free.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Some things that may not look like sin can be part of that modus operandi. One can play piano and spend whole life doing that but it only making noise if it is not for God's glory and making person feel good. Sports and arts are used same way too.[/SIZE]

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Just because it is enjoyable it does not mean it is Godly. It is merely a part of Satan's modus operandi.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Satan’s modus operandi[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Just recently realized what is the tool with which Satan controls humans. He does not have to give something to control a person, he just has to stop giving something he already does.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Just that simple!

All the days of your life one experiences oppression, depression, dissatisfaction.... where does it all come from? It comes from Satan. Then one comes across some kind of sin, sinful behavior and... wow! …all that pressure is momentarily lifted. Person feels awesome, released and starts thinking ... it feels so awesome, and natural, I must be "born this way!" Deeper and deeper into the sin he goes chasing that naturally free feeling which now comes at the higher and higher price, of more and more heavily sinful behavior.

One can find another "thing", another behavior, another sin that makes you feel good. Satan gladly trades one sin for another, only God truly sets free.
[/SIZE]
True, but sports are not ungodly, so that doesn't really apply.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
True, but sports are not ungodly, so that doesn't really apply.

[SIZE=12pt]Some things that may not look like sin can be part of that modus operandi. One can play piano and spend whole life doing that but it only making noise if it is not for God's glory and making person feel good. Sports and arts are used same way too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Is it not sin to waste life God gave you to run around chasing ball (which is not even round in some cases) and making yourself feel good?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What good is wasting time building your body, which is only a dust anyway instead of building godly character and glorifying God? All those hours in the gym just building bigger pile of dust! You do not build godly character by doing wasteful things![/SIZE]

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:

[SIZE=medium]Is it not sin to waste life God gave you to run around chasing ball (which is not even round in some cases) and making yourself feel good?[/SIZE]
You're making it sound like when people play sports that's all they do. I played tennis, went to church, read and reflected on the Bible etc. It's not like you can only do one activity at all times in your life.

Besides, God didn't put us on Earth to be miserable. He wants us to be happy and healthy.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another hijacked thread for the purpose of ranting about something that has nothing to do with the OP.... Sorry Madad21....

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
You're making it sound like when people play sports that's all they do. I played tennis, went to church, read and reflected on the Bible etc. It's not like you can only do one activity at all times in your life.

Besides, God didn't put us on Earth to be miserable. He wants us to be happy and healthy.
[SIZE=medium]What good is wasting time building your body, which is only a dust anyway instead of building godly character and glorifying God? All those hours in the gym just building bigger pile of dust! You do not build godly character by doing wasteful things![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If you cannot find happiness in serving and worshiping God you will not find it in chasing little yellow ball.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Back to modus operandi. Did God create you to find happiness in chasing little yellow ball like a dog or is it Satan who lessens his attacks so that you act like an animal instead of human created in the likeness of God?[/SIZE]

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Suhar said:

[SIZE=medium]If you cannot find happiness in serving and worshiping God you will not find it in chasing little yellow ball.[/SIZE]
All that time working out and playing tennis help keep my body strong. I feel more awake which helps me focus on different tasks, which include, reading and studing the Bible. Again with the cynical view on life, it's just my opinion, but I wish you would take a more optimistic view on things. God put things on the Earth to be enjoyed. He wants us to be happy.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
snr5557 said:
All that time working out and playing tennis help keep my body strong. I feel more awake which helps me focus on different tasks, which include, reading and studing the Bible. Again with the cynical view on life, it's just my opinion, but I wish you would take a more optimistic view on things. God put things on the Earth to be enjoyed. He wants us to be happy.

[SIZE=medium]Back to modus operandi. Did God create you to find happiness in chasing little yellow ball like a dog or is it Satan who lessens his attacks so that you act like an animal instead of human created in the likeness of God?[/SIZE]