Christian Prepping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Owning property to live off grid is my problem
Forget about owning property. Pick up some pontoons, 55 gallon poly barrels, or some equivalent floatation and build on that. I've lived all over the country, and people do this all the time. There are next to nothing to pay in taxes for a pontoon boat or floating deck/boat house, etc. Find a nice spot, toss out your anchor and BAM you're living off grid for free. The vast majority of people who are already doing this are doing it because they couldn't afford to do it any other way. I did it for decades and still have a place on the water now as well. It doesn't take as much as people think. Prices have been dropping rapidly as technology advances. Solar voltaic systems are dirt cheap nowadays. You can get started with a cheap system that could last you a few years, maybe even a decade or more, but you'll be purchasing a better one in no time just because you can with all the money you save by not having any bills, taxes, etc. to pay anymore.

I moved onto my first boat when I was in my mid 20's, and loved it. No rent, no bills, and lots of time to do whatever I pleased.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Does anyone "prep" outside of the USA?
Presumably the rest of us just get on with living a Christian life.

Jesus told us not to worry about tomorrow. He also told us not to stockpile 'treasure' - which presumably is what you're expecting all this food and stuff to turn into!
There are many countries in the world where believers are going through tribulation now - North Korea, Iraq, etc. I wonder what they would think of "prepping"? Somehow I don't think it would have helped them much. We don't know what form our tribulation is going to take - if indeed it ever happens in our lifetime.
Does anyone "prep" outside of the USA?
Presumably the rest of us just get on with living a Christian life.

Jesus told us not to worry about tomorrow. He also told us not to stockpile 'treasure' - which presumably is what you're expecting all this food and stuff to turn into!
There are many countries in the world where believers are going through tribulation now - North Korea, Iraq, etc. I wonder what they would think of "prepping"? Somehow I don't think it would have helped them much. We don't know what form our tribulation is going to take - if indeed it ever happens in our lifetime.

The thing is that canning pickling fruit and vegetables is necessary so that it doesn't go to waste. Some may view it as stockpiling, but it just makes sense to harvest your fruit and vegetables when they're ripe. There's nothing wrong with producing your own food especially when the stuff in stores is disgusting by comparison, and will probably knock ten years off of your life with all the chemicals and garbage they pack into them. This used to be common sense, now it's viewed as some fringe preppers mentality.

There was a time when most people lived out in the country. They then saw economic opportunities in the cities with the advent of the Industrial Revolution. Those days are quickly coming to an end. Capital flight has been endemic in this country for decades. There's really no point in living in the cities anymore because the wages simply can't keep up with inflation. It's a losing proposition which is why more people are just going on wellfare, or cashing out and leaving the cities altogether. People have been returning to an agrarian lifestyle for quite some time now. This always happens when the government becomes bloated and incompetant.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forget about owning property. Pick up some pontoons, 55 gallon poly barrels, or some equivalent floatation and build on that. I've lived all over the country, and people do this all the time. There are next to nothing to pay in taxes for a pontoon boat or floating deck/boat house, etc. Find a nice spot, toss out your anchor and BAM you're living off grid for free. The vast majority of people who are already doing this are doing it because they couldn't afford to do it any other way. I did it for decades and still have a place on the water now as well. It doesn't take as much as people think. Prices have been dropping rapidly as technology advances. Solar voltaic systems are dirt cheap nowadays. You can get started with a cheap system that could last you a few years, maybe even a decade or more, but you'll be purchasing a better one in no time just because you can with all the money you save by not having any bills, taxes, etc. to pay anymore.

I moved onto my first boat when I was in my mid 20's, and loved it. No rent, no bills, and lots of time to do whatever I pleased.

Sounds great! How do you plant a garden? On the boat?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I am afraid the government owns me.....I have the curse of my generation - lots of school loans

I will definitely keep your idea in mind though

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Sounds great! How do you plant a garden? On the boat?

Buckets and bags; Two, three, and five gallon buckets, and those bags they sell at Walmart for carrying out your groceries. Fill em full of dirt, plant your seeds, and if the boat is in fresh water, pump it directly from there to irrigate. I spent years living out on the Sacramento delta and there are literally thousands of miles of levies that can be tilled and farmed with very little effort. I now live out in Florida, and it's essentially the same story.

I think ideally, a dock or deck on pontoons is the best way to get the most out of a small space, especially when using vertical gardening techniques. Planter boxes can be easily made using old pallets as well.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, I am afraid the government owns me.....I have the curse of my generation - lots of school loans

I will definitely keep your idea in mind though

Which generation is that? I know guys who are older than me as well as some who are just getting out of college and no job prospects; they both have loans that will probably never be paid off.

If you're paying them off, moving onto the water won't prevent you from continuing to work, or pay off your debts. If you're paying rent now, or a mortgage, moving onto the water will allow you to pay off your debts faster.

You got one thing right, it truly is a curse. Ironically, the bible points this out repeatedly.

Reactions: aspen

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't consider myself to be a full-blown prepper, but we had three blackouts this month that turned off our refrigerator.
We lost some food on the first one, which was overnight.
In the 18 years we have been here, we have never had this many so close together.

There are more storms coming.

After the last blackout, my wife & I decided to freeze five one-gallon jugs of water in the freezer. If we get another summertime blackout, we will move two of them over to the refrigerator side for use as an impromptu icebox.

We have ordered a back-up generator that runs on our natural gas supply,* but it won't arrive until December. We're getting the smallest capacity one to keep the furnace going in the winter** and the fridge going in the summer.

*Its fuel costs too much to replace the conventional electric service, but to date, there has never been a loss of gas service.
**We were looking at a gas-only (no electricity) back-up furnace, in the event of a winter blackout. It was much less expensive to install & operate and would have heated the basement, plumbing and some of our first floor, but we needed electricity for some medical equipment.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't consider my self a full-blown prepper, but we had three blackouts this month that turned off our refrigerator.
We lost some food on the first one, which was overnight.
In the 18 years we have been here, we have never had this many so close together.

There are more storms coming.

After the last blackout, my wife & I decided to freeze five one-gallon jugs of water in the freezer. If we get another summertime blackout, we will move two of them over to the refrigerator side for use as an impromptu icebox.

We have ordered a back-up generator that runs of our natural gas supply,* but it won't arrive until December. We're getting the smallest capacity one to keep the furnace going in the winter** and the fridge going in the summer.

*Its fuel costs too much to replace the conventional electric service, but to date, there has never been a loss of gas service.
**We were looking at a gas-only (no electricity) back-up furnace, in the event of a winter blackout. It was much less expensive to install & operate and would have heated the basement, plumbing and some of our first floor, but we needed electricity for some medical equipment.
@Sabertooth Years ago, gas supply was sometimes intermittent - and dangerous: when ppl fell asleep at home in front of a gas fire, the gas could become extinuished ... and then come on again when the supply resumed, but without the flame; so sometimes people were gassed to death in their sleep; this apparently happened to the French novelist and polemicist Emile Zola.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Sabertooth Years ago, gas supply was sometimes intermittent - and dangerous: when ppl fell asleep at home in front of a gas fire, the gas could become extinuished ... and then come on again when the supply resumed, but without the flame; so sometimes people were gassed to death in their sleep; this apparently happened to the French novelist and polemicist Emile Zola.
Thanks for the warning, but the back-up generator will be outside.

The less expensive unit is like a regular furnace, but with no (electric) blower.
If we would have gotten it, it would have a chimney and be as safe as our gas-only water heater.

Reactions: farouk

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
why do you try to live in the apocalypse why not just die then everything will fall into it's place

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe, as others have reported, that Apocalyptic events are too big to "prep" for naturally,
but natural disasters are worthy of some prep.

Freezing water jugs for blackouts only cost us a little freezer space.
Did you know that if water service was temporarily interrupted,
your water heater would be an immediate source of potable water?
(I like little hints like that.)

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have ordered a back-up generator that runs on our natural gas supply,* but it won't arrive until December. We're getting the smallest capacity one to keep the furnace going in the winter** and the fridge going in the summer.

After an extended period of being back-ordered, we received our back-up generator this week.
I plan to test it before we experience a real blackout.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The liberals , nor conservatives , nor most churches give one hoot about you people .
We better get in bibles and fast .

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I prep by getting ready to be a martyr.
Set my mind to endure evil times and people who want to, and will, harm me and my family.
Will I flinch and cave when real persecution happens or will I find the faith of my grandfather.

When my grandfather was faced with the Russian revolution... he was held captive with a small village. The guards asked him to name the enemies in the town or die.
Soldier: "Surrender the enemies in this town or I will shoot you."
With a gun to his head my grandfather said "You can only do what my God allows you to do."
The gun misfired twice. My grandfather survived. His brother did not (killed later that week).

Also I have a little extra food set aside and a few animals to eat if needed. You can keep rabbits in the city if you call them pets and they taste like chicken (what doesn't).
I don't expect to defend my home or family. I expect to die with Jesus on my lips and in my heart.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My furnace shuts down with an error code when the generator is on,
but I will see if they will fix it, first, before writing a negative review.☹️
In August, the generator tech made some changes to our system.
I repeated the furnace test last night and it did not fail after running for 60 mins.
full

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Lucky you..:)
Some years ago I seriously thought of buying a small cabin cruiser to live on, and anchoring it in a picturesque spot on our English river/canal network, but soon dropped the idea because of all the Waterways board rules and regulations (sniffle).
For example you can't moor too long in one spot unless it's a proper houseboat or canal narrowboat which would have cost the earth, plus there'd have been a whopping big annual residential license fee to to pay (sniffle again).
But I still enviously drool over pics on the net like this one-

boat1.jpg

Reactions: Space_Karen

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew members of the LDS church who built pantries that would contain food storage that would last 7 years....I don't know for sure if this is the only church that does this but it was a "wow" moment for me when I first saw how committed they were to doing this.
I have a WOW moment for all the lambs . THE day JESUS COMES FOR THE LAMBS .
Ponder on the beauty of that day . A day where forever we shall be with the ONE who set us free .
Now lift those hands up and let all praise and thank the LORD .