Christianity & the Old South (USA)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I understand that in the Tanakh, God permitted slave labor in some cases.

However, those cases pertained to the ancient nation of Israel, in which God directly gave instructions to use slave labor, and the non-Israelites enslaved were the enemies of God's chosen people.

In contrast, God did not instruct the inhabitants of North America to use slave labor.

Instead, the LORD Jesus gave His followers specific instructions to love their enemies, to love one's neighbor as one's self and to love one another. Those instructions of the LORD were violated when English-speaking inhabitants of North America enslaved inhabitants of Africa and their descendants.

Sadly, the Bible verses cited in attempt to rationalize the slavery in America are verses that are being taken out of context.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo_David said:
I understand that in the Tanakh, God permitted slave labor in some cases.

However, those cases pertained to the ancient nation of Israel, in which God directly gave instructions to use slave labor, and the non-Israelites enslaved were the enemies of God's chosen people.

In contrast, God did not instruct the inhabitants of North America to use slave labor.

Instead, the LORD Jesus gave His followers specific instructions to love their enemies, to love one's neighbor as one's self and to love one another. Those instructions of the LORD were violated when English-speaking inhabitants of North America enslaved inhabitants of Africa and their descendants.

Sadly, the Bible verses cited in attempt to rationalize the slavery in America are verses that are being taken out of context.
Sure, those cases where people were made slaves. And, Deut. 20:11 says 'all', not some.

Yes they were enemies and then conquered and then slaves. A natural system which God approved.

Neither did God instruct Americans not to use slave labor. Instead, God endorsed the slave system in the Bible. Which means if the system is in place in the world and is being used, then it is not wrong if a Christian is part of it. The Christian could love his enemies, and neighbor, and other believers, and still be part of the system. Which means the Christians who were involved were Christians. And they were not less of a Christian.

Out of context? Easyt to say. Don't just say it, show how it is out of context.

Are those verses that say you are bought with a price and you are not your own, out of context also. Those verses that say you were purchased by God, are they out of context also. Those verses that say you were bought with the blood of Jesus Christ, are they out of context? Because you refuse to acknowledge you are a slave and God bought you and He is your Master.

Are you going to respond to my statements in post #19 of the sad condition of Christianity in the North prior to the War Between the States. You asked for proof. I gave some there. What do you say to those?

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The slave system that the ancient Hebrews were allowed to practice isn't the slave system that used to be practiced in the USA.

The Apostle Paul's comments about him being God's slave are not relevant to the slave system that used to be practiced in the USA.

Also, the topic of this thread is the relationship between Christianity and the inhabitants of the USA's Old South, not the relationship between Christianity and the inhabitants of the northern states. Talking about the latter is an attempt to deflect from the former.

Getting back to this thread's OP, IMHO, it is an act of arrogance to imply that those who display the Confederate battle flag are somehow spiritually superior to those who are opposed to displaying the Confederate battle flag.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo_David said:
The slave system that the ancient Hebrews were allowed to practice isn't the slave system that used to be practiced in the USA.

The Apostle Paul's comments about him being God's slave are not relevant to the slave system that used to be practiced in the USA.

Also, the topic of this thread is the relationship between Christianity and the inhabitants of the USA's Old South, not the relationship between Christianity and the inhabitants of the northern states. Talking about the latter is an attempt to deflect from the former.

Getting back to this thread's OP, IMHO, it is an act of arrogance to imply that those who display the Confederate battle flag are somehow spiritually superior to those who are opposed to displaying the Confederate battle flag.
The slave system of Israel for Israelites was not the ony one addressed. The slave system for their conquered enemies. The slave system of Rome. The slave system which Onesimus was under. Which you continue to ignore.

It's not just Pauls comments, though they are true that he recognized that he was indeed a slave, bought with a price. You apparently are too good to be treated as a slave of God. For you do not acknowledge that you were bought and paid for. You refuse to acknowledge the blood as the redeemption price for you. You refuse to acknowledge what the Bible says about your being a slave of God, and yet you want to call the Southernor unchristian.

Deflect? Please. Your not answering the questions I asked because you can't. Or rather, you can't make them say what you want because history is against you. The norths Christian apostacy is very much part of this debate, because its their story and lies that you and others have bought into all these years. Thus it must be revealed to see why people hold the false opinions that they do. You asked for proofs, but you really didn't want any. Now that I gave some, you want to dismiss them as not related to the topic. Typical. Please respond to my post #19.

The opening of this debate was centered on the statement that the Confederate flag represented a Christian people of the South. You disagreed but have not been able, and in fact unwilling to produce any evidence to the contrary.

You wanted this debate, and now you got it. Either respond to the questions or move over for others to particapate, if any others want to.

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
That's strange. Just because 'slave' is being talked about, then you say it is stretching it to think 'slave is being talked about.
No....I said that you were so intent on the word 'slave', you were likening the state of belonging to Christ, to being owned in America. The two states are not the same, but you are claiming they are, just because they both come under the title of 'slave.'
But you have not even tried (probably because you can't) to use bible verses to liken our state in belonging to Christ, to how a Christian is told to treat everyone....
So, you are hanging your case on a single word....'slave'....and not on biblical proof, or historical fact.

The slavery you describe was American slavery, was European slavery, was Roman slavery, was Hebrew slavery concerning those who they conquered as instructed by God. See above post. So you are really stretching it to try and say slavery just isn't real slavery because you are Chrsitian and your Master is God. No one is saying it isn't the best thing that could happen to us. But it is still slavery. It isn't 'independence and freedom'
No. History and scripture contradict you.
And you misunderstand me. When I said living under Christ is freedom, I meant (and did say this), that it is freedom from sin. Sometimes it feels like living under 'rules', but being free from sin, and living under that freedom, love and grace that comes with Christ, we experience joy...
If you can pull one testimony from a traditional American slave, that says that they experienced joy from being 'owned' by someone, then.....then, I might consider your argument.
But until then, I will take both scripture, and historical eyewitnesses and testimonies, above someone I don't know, claiming otherwise.

Please. You're asking for a verse to support your wrong definition of slavery. I have given you plenty to support slavery as an institution provided for by God.
No....I am asking you for a verse to support your claims. If you cannot give them, then I wonder why you still insist others believe you.
You are claiming that 'slavery' to Christ is the same state as 'slavery' in America.
Therefore the onus is on you to come up with the proof.

You're dreaming of 'indentured servitude'. Before many were taken slaves in Joshuas day, all the men were slaughtered. The women and children then divided up. Does that sound like indentured servitude to you?
Ummm....if the men were slaughtered, then they were never slaves...they were dead. God told his people to kill them, and they did. I'm not here to discuss or argue God's right to make that call. The topic at hand is if slavery under the Israelite people is the same slavery that was seen in America.
It is biblical and historical fact that if a person was unable to pay their debts, they would enter into 'slavery' to the person they owed. They then worked until that debt was payed, or until there was a Jubilee year. Those facts in and of themselves proves a very big difference and has a cascading implications.

A slave is a slave. Whether he is under better conditions in some places than others is immaterial Whether you agree with the conditions he is under is immaterial. He is still a slave. The Master/Slave relationship is in place. Just like you are a slave to God. As I am. It doesn't bother me at all. But just because it was the best thing that could happen for me, doesn't mean it isn't slavery.

Quantrill
No, it is not immaterial. Not at all. Being 'slaves' under Christ we are treated as beloved sons and daughters. He loves us, works things for our good, gives us wonderful gifts....gives us redemption and eternal life!
Being a slave in America was the opposite....you cannot even aply Jesus' command for us to love others as we love ourselves to the state. They were owned completely....they had no say over basics....what they did, what they ate (or didn't eat), where they lived, if they were warn or cold, if their children were killed, sold away, raped.....the attrocities go on and on.

The more you try and link the two states together, the less your argument seems valid. Just because they have the label 'slave' does not....does not...make them similar states. There is no way, biblically or factually, that you can marry them.

However....if going back to the OP....I do not think that the south was devoid of genuine Christians. And I hope that even if they were hopeless to fundamentally change the nature of the type of 'slavery' that was going on, that they treated everyone....slave or no....as 'brothers and sisters'....just as Jesus demanded of us.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
No....I said that you were so intent on the word 'slave', you were likening the state of belonging to Christ, to being owned in America. The two states are not the same, but you are claiming they are, just because they both come under the title of 'slave.'
But you have not even tried (probably because you can't) to use bible verses to liken our state in belonging to Christ, to how a Christian is told to treat everyone....
So, you are hanging your case on a single word....'slave'....and not on biblical proof, or historical fact.

No. History and scripture contradict you.
And you misunderstand me. When I said living under Christ is freedom, I meant (and did say this), that it is freedom from sin. Sometimes it feels like living under 'rules', but being free from sin, and living under that freedom, love and grace that comes with Christ, we experience joy...
If you can pull one testimony from a traditional American slave, that says that they experienced joy from being 'owned' by someone, then.....then, I might consider your argument.
But until then, I will take both scripture, and historical eyewitnesses and testimonies, above someone I don't know, claiming otherwise.

No....I am asking you for a verse to support your claims. If you cannot give them, then I wonder why you still insist others believe you.
You are claiming that 'slavery' to Christ is the same state as 'slavery' in America.
Therefore the onus is on you to come up with the proof.

Ummm....if the men were slaughtered, then they were never slaves...they were dead. God told his people to kill them, and they did. I'm not here to discuss or argue God's right to make that call. The topic at hand is if slavery under the Israelite people is the same slavery that was seen in America.
It is biblical and historical fact that if a person was unable to pay their debts, they would enter into 'slavery' to the person they owed. They then worked until that debt was payed, or until there was a Jubilee year. Those facts in and of themselves proves a very big difference and has a cascading implications.

No, it is not immaterial. Not at all. Being 'slaves' under Christ we are treated as beloved sons and daughters. He loves us, works things for our good, gives us wonderful gifts....gives us redemption and eternal life!
Being a slave in America was the opposite....you cannot even aply Jesus' command for us to love others as we love ourselves to the state. They were owned completely....they had no say over basics....what they did, what they ate (or didn't eat), where they lived, if they were warn or cold, if their children were killed, sold away, raped.....the attrocities go on and on.

The more you try and link the two states together, the less your argument seems valid. Just because they have the label 'slave' does not....does not...make them similar states. There is no way, biblically or factually, that you can marry them.

However....if going back to the OP....I do not think that the south was devoid of genuine Christians. And I hope that even if they were hopeless to fundamentally change the nature of the type of 'slavery' that was going on, that they treated everyone....slave or no....as 'brothers and sisters'....just as Jesus demanded of us.
No, the place as a slave for a Christian is not just based on the word 'slave', though that should be enough. God also told us that we are 'bought and paid for'. By the blood of Jesus Christ. And you are not your own. Or, in other words, 'a slave'.

Its not necessarry that a slave experience 'joy' to be a slave. How silly. Just because any were slaves didn't give them eternal life either as it does the Christian. That doesn't change the fact that we as Chilstians are slaves, and the slave system is from God.

No, Im saying slavery is slavery and is instituted by God. If there are differences in some slavery than others, so what. Still slavery. Master, servant relationship. And I have showed in Scripture where slavery is from God.

Well, the men were slautered, and the women and children taken slaves. No, the topic at hand is that slavery is instituted by God, and that if a slave system exists in the world anywhere, America or Israel, it is not unchristian to be part of it. Thus the South was not unchristian to be part of Americas slave system.

Still slaves nonetheless. The point is not how good one Master is compared to another. The point is the slave system is from God.

Gee, thats real nice. But, again, the point is the South was not unchristian just because we were involved in Americas slave system because slavery is instituted and allowed by God.

Quantrill

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a similar note, genocide and cannibalism are also allowed to exist in the Bible - and I am sure if the South condoned either practice, Quantill would defend it just as strongly, I suppose......

The fact is, we are all guilty of slavery - especially today. 1st world countries live off the backs of the poor - it was wrong then, and it is wrong today, but it doesn't determine the 'Christianity' of a nation. As the Body of Christ, not as a nation, we need to do everything possible to oppose the mistreatment of our neighbor. The South was guilty of using Slavery as the mechanism for a farm based economy - the superior-minded North was just as guilty of using the same system to profit off of, but shifted the blame. The South may have been Eve, but the North played the part of Adam and just like in the Garden, but were guilty.

The OT list example of people failing to obey God - we are not called to imitate these people

Reactions: HammerStone

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Slavery was not allowed to exist. Slavery was an institution that God approved of and placed Himself and humanity in that relationship.

Slavery was an institution that existed in both North and South. There is no need to bear guilt for it in either case. The guilt that should be born is directed at the North for trying to use 'slavery' as an excuse to destroy the Southern people. And then pass on that lie all these years for others to believe.

It was the Northern 'christians' who abondoned the Bible, and opted for a social gospel as characterized by the 'trancendentalists and unitarians'. Meaning they were not Christian in any way shape or form.

Slavery in the Old Testament is not an example of failing.

Quantrill

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? So are you also a polygamous?

God always meets us where were are at - tolerance does not mean approval.

It is impossible to love your neighbor if you owned your neighbor.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen said:

I agree with Aspen. There is a difference between something being tolerated by God for a time and something being ordained by God.

Sure, God may have tolerated the slavery that used to be in the USA, but there is no evidence that He ordained it.

Indeed, the fact that slavery in the USA was put to an end shows me that God did not ordain it.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
aspen said:

Is God a polygamous is what you should be asking. For God is Master and you and I are slaves. For you are bought and paid for by Him. You are not your own. So, does God show us in the Bible where He is a polygamous?

Slavery is not a tolerance. Its an institution perfectly fitted for man. Man is servant to some Master. God or another.

That is according to you.

Quantrill
Dodo_David said:
I agree with Aspen. There is a difference between something being tolerated by God for a time and something being ordained by God.

Sure, God may have tolerated the slavery that used to be in the USA, but there is no evidence that He ordained it.

Indeed, the fact that slavery in the USA was put to an end shows me that God did not ordain it.
Does the fact that homosexuality is legal and protected in the USA show you that God ordains it? Foolish statement.

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
No, the place as a slave for a Christian is not just based on the word 'slave', though that should be enough. God also told us that we are 'bought and paid for'. By the blood of Jesus Christ. And you are not your own. Or, in other words, 'a slave'.

Its not necessarry that a slave experience 'joy' to be a slave. How silly. Just because any were slaves didn't give them eternal life either as it does the Christian. That doesn't change the fact that we as Chilstians are slaves, and the slave system is from God.

No, Im saying slavery is slavery and is instituted by God. If there are differences in some slavery than others, so what. Still slavery. Master, servant relationship. And I have showed in Scripture where slavery is from God.

Well, the men were slautered, and the women and children taken slaves. No, the topic at hand is that slavery is instituted by God, and that if a slave system exists in the world anywhere, America or Israel, it is not unchristian to be part of it. Thus the South was not unchristian to be part of Americas slave system.

Still slaves nonetheless. The point is not how good one Master is compared to another. The point is the slave system is from God.

Gee, thats real nice. But, again, the point is the South was not unchristian just because we were involved in Americas slave system because slavery is instituted and allowed by God.

Quantrill
You still seem to be missing my point....wildly.

I'll try something else.

Jesus said: “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." (Matthew 6:24, ESV)

Now, as Christians, shouldn't we be freeing people to serve God, and only God??

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
You still seem to be missing my point....wildly.

I'll try something else.

Jesus said: “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." (Matthew 6:24, ESV)

Now, as Christians, shouldn't we be freeing people to serve God, and only God??
Being a slave does not mean one cannot serve God. Being a slave owner does not mean one could not serve God.

Being a Christian who is making money doesn't mean he is a slave to money. Being a Chrsitian who is a slave doesn't mean he isn't serving One Master, God.

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
This thread is going no-where. Points and arguments have been made from both sides, and while they are repeated, nothing edifying is coming from it.
Thread Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.