Christianity & the Old South (USA)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Dodo_David said:

It has been claimed that "Never did a flag represent a more Christian population than the Confederate flag for the Southern people."

How do you respond to this claim?
I am not sure who made that claim and I can't seem to find any historical reference to it, however, the history of the Confederate flag goes back much further than the short history it currently has as being a flag for white racist. The KKK has used it as a symbol of racism/hate and sometimes carry it when they participate in parades. However, they have also marched with the American flag and the Christian flag in some of their parades. Does that make those flag racist?

I respond to the claim by saying the Confederate flag to some people represents southern pride, others racism or hate and others a historical flag that was originally the battle flag of the south. It wasn't their only flag before/during the war and it wasn't their most popular. It eventually became the most identifiable flag for the south. But used to represent a Christian population? I have never heard that.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Confederate Flag represents rebellion.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Quantrill, are you claiming that the folks in the southern states were more Christian than the folks in the northern states?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
Slavery was accepted by God. And just like I have been saying, you as a Christian are a slave of God. Bought and paid for by the blood of Christ. Unless your saying you were not.
I don't know that i'd go as far as saying that slavery was 'accepted' by God. God gave commands to deal with many things man did...most of them sinful things. Just because he gave these rules, does not mean he accepted the act as just or right.

Also....you've been doing a lot of comparing between 'slavery' that was seen in the US, and the fact that we are slaves of Christ...we were bought with his blood.
I think what you really need to address, is how you can see a similarity between the two. In Christ we have been rescued. We have freedom...from sin, from condemnation, from human judgement. We have been adopted into his family. Yes we were 'bought with a price'....but always, always, underneath that, is grace...and grace says:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, ESV)

When compared with the slavery we saw throughout the world in the 1800's....well, there is no comparison. They were essentially reduced to livestock, with little or less rights than animals.

I do not doubt that there were Christians in the south. I'm sure that some actually treated their slaves with some dignity...but it would seem they were in the minority. Perhaps, as they'd grown up in such a culture, they did not give much thought to how the slaves were treated. This is shameful, really. I'm not saying that we are better Christians....clearly there could be things we are just shrugging away as not our concern...like the abortion issue, perhaps.

But my point is this....you need to stop putting the weight of your argument on the fact that we are servants to Christ. Being a slave to Christ gives us everything....being a slave in the 1800's took everything from them.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rocky Wiley said:
There were two types of biblical slavery. Indentured servant and servanthood. In the first, one would work for the person he owed money, until the debt was paid. The second was one of desire. Neither one was the type of slavery in America.
There were many types of slavery. Some due to being conquered by your enemy. Some due to debt. Which means there is a price.

How much did God redeem you for? How much did God, your Master buy you for?

Quantrill

Dodo_David said:
Quantrill, are you claiming that the folks in the southern states were more Christian than the folks in the northern states?
I showed you that it is not Bible believing Christianity that provoked war against the South. It was a liberal christianity that was in denial of the diety of Jesus Christ. It was those who were turning to trancendentalism. I showed you the quotes. Do you now disagree?

The Christianity of the South has been the Bible is the Word of God. You nor the north can call the Southern people unchristian because of the slavery that the US instituted at that time.

Quantrill
Rach said:
I don't know that i'd go as far as saying that slavery was 'accepted' by God. God gave commands to deal with many things man did...most of them sinful things. Just because he gave these rules, does not mean he accepted the act as just or right.

Also....you've been doing a lot of comparing between 'slavery' that was seen in the US, and the fact that we are slaves of Christ...we were bought with his blood.
I think what you really need to address, is how you can see a similarity between the two. In Christ we have been rescued. We have freedom...from sin, from condemnation, from human judgement. We have been adopted into his family. Yes we were 'bought with a price'....but always, always, underneath that, is grace...and grace says:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, ESV)

When compared with the slavery we saw throughout the world in the 1800's....well, there is no comparison. They were essentially reduced to livestock, with little or less rights than animals.

I do not doubt that there were Christians in the south. I'm sure that some actually treated their slaves with some dignity...but it would seem they were in the minority. Perhaps, as they'd grown up in such a culture, they did not give much thought to how the slaves were treated. This is shameful, really. I'm not saying that we are better Christians....clearly there could be things we are just shrugging away as not our concern...like the abortion issue, perhaps.

But my point is this....you need to stop putting the weight of your argument on the fact that we are servants to Christ. Being a slave to Christ gives us everything....being a slave in the 1800's took everything from them.
Being a slave to God, takes everything from you that you used to be also. Doelsn't it. Are you now a 'new man'? Do you now serve a new Master? For the better, of course. That doesn't take away that you were purchased by God.

Do you admit that God bought you for a price? Should He apologize for being a slave Master?

Quantrill

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Dodo_David said:
Back in college, I took a class in U.S. history from the beginning of European settlement in North America to the end of the U.S. Civil War.

In the class, I learned that the southern English colonies were establish primarily for the purpose of economic gain.

The northern colonies were established primarily for the purpose of providing liberty to the settlers, especially religious liberty.

While slavery was permitted in all colonies during the time of English rule, slavery fell out of favor in the northern colonies because its inhabitants considered slavery to conflict with their religious beliefs. Being true to God's instructions was more important to them than pursuing economic gain.

When, in 1776, the USA's founding fathers were discussing their plan to declare independence from England, those from the northern colonies wanted to openly criticize King George III for permitting the continuation of slavery in the colonies. However, such an open rebuke of slavery would have been counterproductive at the time, because the northern colonies needed the cooperation of the southern colonies for any pursuit of independence to succeed.

It was only after the USA secured its independence from England that northern politicians began pressing for limitations to slavery.
Firstly, I personally am anti-slavery.

Secondly, one must understand that the 'victors get to write the history'. And that means whatever Civil War history class you took, it was predominantly a northern view and not necessarily containing all the facts (which is strongly evidenced especially by the blatant propaganda of northern newspapers at the time of the Civil War and thereafter).

Slavery was a British institution. That's how it began in the early American colonies, and not just in the South but actually first beginning in the North, the first slaves brought in via Massachusettes and New York.

In the Lincoln-Douglas debates when Lincoln was running for President, Lincoln himself stated that he had no aim to abolish slavery (see the Lincoln/Douglas debates).

Slavery was still going on in some northern areas also when the Civil War began. It was NOT the main issue that began the Civil War. Only a small percentage of the southern people actually owned slaves. Those were mostly plantation owners, and by no means the majority of the southern peoples who were dirt poor. So the majority of the southern peoples would certainly not have gone to war over an issue like slavery that was practised by a southern minority of land and business owners. The main issues they claimed were States rights per the U.S. Constitution, and the economic inequalities pushed by northern powers upon the South.

After the Civil War had begun, and the southern states succeeded per rights in the U.S. Constitution given specifically to the States, and the first battles were sorely lost by Lincoln's original first army gathering, the northern politicians determined to stress the idea of slavery to give the war more of an emotional issue the northern peoples would be willing to fight for. The southerners were fighting for their land and homes, the northern troops had no such motivations. Up until that time, many of the northern peoples saw the war as a "rich man's war", and even burned down some of the draft houses in New York in protest.

To show the northern people the war was not really begun over the slave issue, many of the southern leaders, including Robert E. Lee, freed the slaves they had owned. This did nothing as the northern press propaganda against the south continued. Some of the Blacks actually fought for the Confederate side, a little know fact the northern propaganda machine has silenced.

A fact of history about the industrial style North and the agrarian South in that time is that the two peoples in general thought differently, and lived differently. They each had their own set of traditions based on their settlements. In the huge agricultural regions of the American colonies many white peoples left Europe to become indentured servants, serving a period of seven years under a master to pay for their passage and living to come to America (my ancestors were of these in Virginia colony in the early 1600's). So naturally peoples from Europe that were used to farming would flock to areas in the Southern colonies to do that work, and likewise with those who worked in cities in Europe flocking to the industrial areas of the American North.

Because of the rich cotton trade the agrarian South was doing with Europe, it began to progress with a more centralized group and power in the old South. In the North a group of powerful men in business tried to enforce penalties upon Southern trade with Europe, to force the South to trade with the North at the Northern business' whim, and their lower prices for goods in exchange for cotton and agrarian produce. Politicians, both Southern and Northern, fought over trying to create legislation to economically support their respective sides. THIS is actually what started the American Civll War, not the issue of slavery. Slavery only became a big issue for war support with Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, which was given the third year after... the war had already been going on because the North was in grave danger of losing.

Futhermore, after the war had ended, with Reconstruction, literal control of the Southern states was by the U.S. Army, with Southern elected representatives and congressman not allowed to participate in their respective elected offices. Lot of legislation was passed in U.S. Congress and Senate without the elected Southern representation's presence or vote, which is illegal per the U.S. Constitution. Lot of today's abusive power in Washington would never have happened if those Southern representatives had been allowed to serve in their office they were elected for per the U.S. Constitution.

Rach said:

Many cases of letters written by slaves in the south to their slave owners thanking them for 'educating' them. Doing what? That's right, educating some of them that would later become the founders and leaders over Black Churches began in the South.

What many are missing by not taking a bird's eye view of the result of African slaves brought to America is that it involved God calling out a people among them that would come to The Gospel of Jesus Christ and then become leaders among their people here, and in other lands.

Otherwise, if they hadn't been brought here to the America's, even as slaves, what would they still be doing in Africa? Has it not been the Christian nations that brought civilized progress to many of those African nations? This is why I have huge loads of respect for the Black leaders in America that do not promote division and hatred towards whites because of the history of slavery. God eventually brought them out of it, just as He did with His chosen ones in Egypt. Yes, that's right, the children of Israel were once slaves themselves, in Egypt.

Apocalypticist

May 26, 2013
Let us not forget, that in history, Calvinism was the force of complacency. Calvinists were the ones who said, "Let us not get involved and leave for others to decide." They either were complacent and ready to let slavery continue, or they were in fact slave owners themselves.

It were the Arminians, such as the Arminian Methodists, who were most vigilant in the fight for abolition. And not all Southerners are Calvinists. But the Arminians among us still appreciate the Confederate flag and even more so in the present. Washington has unfortunately become the belligerent sort of government, that many people are no longer consenting to, and which has become destructive toward the ends of liberty. And at the same time, many in the South want ever more to assert our rights. We do not want someone to tell us how big a soda we can get at McDonald's, that we must accept a flu shot, that our children should be tarred and feathered for drawing a gun on a sheet of paper, or that we must open our emails and google searches for 'security'. I do not support slavery, for I am against tyranny. But today we live in tyranny and so we fly the flag, one of the most beautiful flags, which is to say we are free...

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
veteran said:
Many cases of letters written by slaves in the south to their slave owners thanking them for 'educating' them. Doing what? That's right, educating some of them that would later become the founders and leaders over Black Churches began in the South.

What many are missing by not taking a bird's eye view of the result of African slaves brought to America is that it involved God calling out a people among them that would come to The Gospel of Jesus Christ and then become leaders among their people here, and in other lands.

Otherwise, if they hadn't been brought here to the America's, even as slaves, what would they still be doing in Africa? Has it not been the Christian nations that brought civilized progress to many of those African nations? This is why I have huge loads of respect for the Black leaders in America that do not promote division and hatred towards whites because of the history of slavery. God eventually brought them out of it, just as He did with His chosen ones in Egypt. Yes, that's right, the children of Israel were once slaves themselves, in Egypt.
I don't know that the issue at hand is if God brought good out of evil. That's kind of what he does, and for Christians we know personally as well as from history that he does this.
But my point is....it was still sin. It was still wrong. It's that simple. How people were treated, was not how the bible tells us to treat people. And so in context of the OP....if it clearly is against how the bible tells us to treat people...how did the Christians in the south confuse, ignore, or misunderstand the issue??

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
I don't know that the issue at hand is if God brought good out of evil. That's kind of what he does, and for Christians we know personally as well as from history that he does this.
But my point is....it was still sin. It was still wrong. It's that simple. How people were treated, was not how the bible tells us to treat people. And so in context of the OP....if it clearly is against how the bible tells us to treat people...how did the Christians in the south confuse, ignore, or misunderstand the issue??
You say it is against how the Bible says to treat people yet God allowed for slavery. God allowed the Israelites to have slaves. God laid down the laws if an Israelite sold himself into slavery. Rome had slaves yet Jesus Christ never attacked the system as a sin. There could have been wrongs done within the system as in all systems. But He never attacked the system as wrong or sinful. And, as has been shown, Paul returned the slave Onesimus to his owner without attacking the slave system.

But you say it was sin. So was God sinning when he purchased us from our former master? Were you not bought and paid for by the blood of Christ? Does God owe you and I an apology? Or, was it not the best thing that was for us, to come out from under our former master?

So, is it sin because you say it is?

Quantrill

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Rach said:
But, there you go only pointing to the South with the issue of slavery, when it actually began in the Northern colonies. The American Civil War will never be understood while playing into the hand of propagandists and those who wish to divide the American peoples of all races. It's also important to remember that the very first African-American Churches were in the South (Virginia and Savannah, Ga.). So if the southern peoples were such evil slave owning monsters, as northern propagandists would have us think, then how in the world did those first African-American Christian Churches ever get off the ground, and in the South?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I exlained and showed that slavery was protected under the Constitution. Article 4, sec.2. You may not like it but those who put it there did.

I am saying what I am saying. Take one step at a time. For example, are you not a slave of God? Are you not purchased by Him for a price, that being the blood of Jesus Christ? No one seems to want to say they are. I guess all are better than that. Im not better than that. Im a slave of God. He is my Master.

You won't find any prohibition against slavery in the Bible. Instead you find it throughout, and find that you too are a slave.

So, what do we have here up to this point? Slavery was not a Southern institution. It was a United States institution. See again article 4, sec. 2, of the Constitution. And slavery is accepted and condoned in the Bible.

Which means, you can't judge the Southern peoples Christianity because they had slavery.
Me being a slave of God - for which I am - does not mean that I assume the role of God in the enslavement of others. If we follow this sort of argumentation in some other areas - forgiveness, sanctification, etc - I think you can see it becomes an absurd one. I am washed clean because of Jesus, not that I have become Jesus. Recall that even Jesus washed the feet of his followers.

Your over-simplification of the argument doesn't take into account the initial draft of the Declaration, the compromise over slave vote counts, and other features that indicated a burgeoning argument against slavery even at the founding of this country. As well, I'd be happy to argue that the US Constitution is the best governing document that man ever assembled, but I would never argue for its perfection.

Regardless of the abuses and misinformation we sometimes get about the northern abolitionists, there was a strong movement against slavery and the vast majority of slaveholding states were southern. If slavery was not the main issue, writings such as R.L. Dabney would not not exist.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Hammerstone

Im glad you acknowledge your servitude to our Master who bought us at an extremely high price.

I never said you assume the role of God. I say God is the One who has taken that role as Master, and given us the role of slaves. Would He assume such a role if it were displeasing to His righteouss character? Of course not. Should we expect Him to apoligize for placing us in slavery? Of course not.

Jesus became a servant, slave, forever for our redeemption. Didn't He?

The clear statement in the Constitution is not an 'oversimplification'. It is however clearly understood. Slavery was a US institution. Not a Southern institution. Protected by the Constitution. The Constitution doesn't have to be perfect, but it is still the Constitution. And slavery was legal and protected.

No one is saying that slavery was not an issue. It most definitely was. What I am saying is that the South was not unchristian for having slaves at that time. And that the South was not wrong in having slaves at that time. Which means that it was not the South that brought that horrible war on this nation. It was the north. It wasn't the South who were the 'traitors', it was the north. It wasn't the South who were non-Christian. It was the liberal unitiarian and trancendentalist north.

It was the North that deemed the Constitution a product from hell, and looked to a 'higher law'. Not the South. My how history has been twisted.

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
[SIZE=16pt] I am going to quote at length from the entry "Romans 1:1" in Dr. Ralph Earle’s book Word Meanings in the New Testament:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The word servant is a translation of doulos, which means “slave.” It is from deō, “bind,” and so is literally “bond servant.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] Cremer points out the implications of this for those who call themselves servants of Christ. He says, “The normal moral relation of man to God is that of a doulos tou theou (slave of God) whose own will, though perfectly free, is bound to God” (p. 216). He then goes on to point out that this expression, “slave of God,” has a twofold meaning. It denotes first “that relation of subservience and subjection of will which beseems all who confess God and Christ, and are devoted to Him.” Secondly, it indicates “a peculiar relation of devotedness, in which a man is at God’s disposal and is employed by Him.” . . .[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] . . . This twofold idea is expressed in the case of the “love slave” of the OT times, described in Deut. 15:12-17. If an Israelite bought a Hebrew slave, he must let him go free in the sabbatical year. But if the slave loved his master and chose, of his own free will, to remain with him, then a hole was bored through the lobe of the slave’s ear. He then became a bond servant for life. . .[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] . . . All over the Roman Empire there were those who were known as slaves of the emperor. How happy was Paul to write to Rome, “I am a slave of Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!”*[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] So, scripturally speaking, a person who gives her/his life to Messiah Jesus voluntarily becomes God’s slave.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] Now, is the spiritual slavery that Paul mentions in Romans 1:1 and in Titus 1:1 identical to the slavery that was practiced in the USA?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] Answer: No.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] The former is voluntary; the latter was forced. With the former, a person is a slave of God. With the latter, a person was a slave of Man.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] Is the slavery permitted by the Torah (Deut. 15:12-17) identical to the slavery that was practiced in the USA?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] Answer: No. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] The former required that a slave be given freedom after six years, unless the slave wanted to become a permanent slave. The latter forced a person into mandatory slavery for life if that is what the slave owner wanted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt] With all of the above-stated information considered, it is clear to me that the slavery that used to exist in the USA was not sanctioned by Scriptures. Instead, such slavery conflicted with the godly ethics promoted in the Bible.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]*Quote Source: Ralph Earle, Word Meanings in the New Testament (Baker Book House: 1991), pp. 130-131.[/SIZE]

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo-David

No one is saying the slavery the world practiced, the US practiced, was identical to Israelite slavery. But both were slavery. And the Roman empire did not follow the Israeli guidelines for slavery. Which Christ never attacked. Which Onesimus would have been under but ran away. Who Paul sent back to his former owner. Not so voluntary there.

That there were wrongs done by some slave owners, sure. You have that in whatever system you are under. But the slave system is never deemed wrong or evil by God.

The slave who decided to stay in Deut. 15 was first an unwilling slave for several year, before he decided to be a willing slave. But, a slave nonetheless. Master, Slave relationship.

So, are you saying you are now a slave of God and Christ? Were you bought and paid for?

The Christianity that attacked the Souths slave system, were the trancendentalists and unitarians who believed a Christless gospel. They believed a social gospel, a do good to man gospel. Which is why they attacked the slave system. The north was turning, or had already turned away from Bible believeing Christianity. The South held to the Bible believing Christianity. But the South is labled un-christian by the north. When in fact it was the liberal unchristian north that attacked the South. And if they didn't believe the Bible about slavery, why should they believe the Bible about Jesus Christ as the Son of God?

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
Being a slave to God, takes everything from you that you used to be also. Doelsn't it. Are you now a 'new man'? Do you now serve a new Master? For the better, of course. That doesn't take away that you were purchased by God.

Do you admit that God bought you for a price? Should He apologize for being a slave Master?

Quantrill

You've completely missed or avoided my point. Yes God bought me for a price, yes I am a new person. But this has zero comparablility or compatibility with what being a slave in America meant.

My question to you was this.....how on earth can you compare the two? Biblically you cannot...spiritually you cannot, physically you cannot. And yet you seem to be trying to build a case on the similarity between the two.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Quantrill said:
The Christianity that attacked the Souths slave system, were the trancendentalists and unitarians who believed a Christless gospel. They believed a social gospel, a do good to man gospel. Which is why they attacked the slave system. The north was turning, or had already turned away from Bible believeing Christianity. The South held to the Bible believing Christianity. But the South is labled un-christian by the north. When in fact it was the liberal unchristian north that attacked the South. And if they didn't believe the Bible about slavery, why should they believe the Bible about Jesus Christ as the Son of God?

Quantrill
And your evidence for all of this is ...?

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
You've completely missed or avoided my point. Yes God bought me for a price, yes I am a new person. But this has zero comparablility or compatibility with what being a slave in America meant.

My question to you was this.....how on earth can you compare the two? Biblically you cannot...spiritually you cannot, physically you cannot. And yet you seem to be trying to build a case on the similarity between the two.
I don't see how I missed the point. Slavery is a master/ slave relationship. God is the One who has used this to describe our relationship as fallen and then redeemed. Regardless of what country your are a slave in, your still a slave.

No where is slavery spoken against in the Bible. God condones and even gives rules for it for His people the Jews.

Im not really comparing. Im saying slavery is slavery. Whether in the Bible or in America. Whether in Rome or in America. Whether in Palestine or in America.

My case is that the South was not unchristian because they had slaves. And, that the North was the unchristian ones as they were turning away from the Bible and turning to Unitarianism and Trancendentalism.

So, the North has tried to make themselves 'holy' in that they came down here and beat up on those non-christian Southernors for having slaves. Which was all a facade for the real reason for the war which was 'money' and 'power'. Slavery just became a 'noble' reason to use. And they used it. And they preach it today. And surprisingly enough, people still like to believe it.

Quantrill

Dodo_David said:
And your evidence for all of this is ...?
Where to begin?

I began a brief explaination of this in my post #19 in regards to your claiming I threw out a red herring. But you never responded to it. So, lets go back there and tell me if you disagree with what I said, and the quotes I gave from Reynolds book on John Brown.

Also I notice you still don't want to identify yourself as a slave to God and Christ I see. Were you bought and paid for? Were you purchased by the blood of Christ?

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The commandment "you shall love your neighbor as yourself" means that you don't go around enslaving people so that you can keep your labor costs low.

The slavery that was permitted in ancient Israel under Mosaic Law was the equivalent of the indentured servanthood that used to be practiced during colonial times.
Its purpose was to enable people to pay debts.

The slavery to God that the Apostle Paul refers to is voluntary . . . and it has nothing to do with the slavery that used to exist in the USA.

Also, I find the claim against the Christians in the northern states to be without merit.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
I don't see how I missed the point. Slavery is a master/ slave relationship. God is the One who has used this to describe our relationship as fallen and then redeemed. Regardless of what country your are a slave in, your still a slave.

No where is slavery spoken against in the Bible. God condones and even gives rules for it for His people the Jews.

Im not really comparing. Im saying slavery is slavery. Whether in the Bible or in America. Whether in Rome or in America. Whether in Palestine or in America.

My case is that the South was not unchristian because they had slaves. And, that the North was the unchristian ones as they were turning away from the Bible and turning to Unitarianism and Trancendentalism.

So, the North has tried to make themselves 'holy' in that they came down here and beat up on those non-christian Southernors for having slaves. Which was all a facade for the real reason for the war which was 'money' and 'power'. Slavery just became a 'noble' reason to use. And they used it. And they preach it today. And surprisingly enough, people still like to believe it.

Quantrill

I'm sorry...but basing your comments on the word "slave" and thereby finding similarity between the two states, is stretching it a bit.
Yes, we are 'slaves' to Christ....we have been bought for a price. But in reality the bible teaches that when we come into this 'slavery' we are actually gaining wonderful, amazing freedom. We become free from our sins, and that truth echos through our lives....our actions, thoughts and responses to other people.
The American slavery is the exact opposite. Not only where they still 'slaves' to their own sin, they were also 'slaves' to their owners sins. Too often those sins included sub human living standards, violence, rape and death....and having to watch as their children suffered the same fate, helpless to do anything against it.
Forget the word "slave" for a moment....find me one.....one verse in scripture that gives a Christian leave to treat any other human being in the above manner. Give me one verse in which Jesus said he had come so that we may enslave and de-humanise people. You cannot. And any bible verse that does address slavery....the slavery that was seen in biblical times, which was closer to indentured servitude....is telling us to treat said slaves with dignity and respect....for they were still our brothers and sisters.
My point is....you simply cannot find any scriptural passages or verses, that give us leave to treat people....regardless of their title of 'slave' or not....in a way that was seen in the sort of slavery in America.....it's just not there.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo_David said:
The commandment "you shall love your neighbor as yourself" means that you don't go around enslaving people so that you can keep your labor costs low.

The slavery that was permitted in ancient Israel under Mosaic Law was the equivalent of the indentured servanthood that used to be practiced during colonial times.
Its purpose was to enable people to pay debts.

The slavery to God that the Apostle Paul refers to is voluntary . . . and it has nothing to do with the slavery that used to exist in the USA.

Also, I find the claim against the Christians in the northern states to be without merit.
Sorry, but what commandment is that? Does it reflect the Law? Yes it does. But that same Law said, " And it shall be, if it make thee answer of peace, and open unto thee, then it shall be, that all the people that is found therein shall be tributaries unto thee, and they shall serve thee. " Deut.20:11

This is the Mosaic Law also dealing with Israels defeated enemies. The slave law you keep on wanting to address is only that of the Hebrew slave. But those who were not Hebrews were not treated the same by Israel, as instructed by God.

And concerning the Gibeonites who craftily portrayed themselves as travellers outside the land, when found out by Joshua he said, " Now therefore ye are cursed, and there shall none of you be freed from being bondmen, and hewers of wood and drawers of water for the house of my God. " Josh. 9:23

So, as you see, the essence of the Law, 'to love thy neighbor' does not take away from God's instructions to enslave many peoples, and does not take away from God endorsing and presenting Himself as Master and mankind as slaves. Which means that the institution of slavery is very Biblical. And that the Christians in the South cannot be judged as not Christian because America was involved in the slave business which prospered in the South.

You only address the Hebrew servant. That was slavery to be sure. But not the only kind addressed in the Bible. As I said before, the Roman slaves were not under such commmandment. Neither was Philemon, who was the owner of Onesimus. These you continue to ignore. There was nothing vountary about Onesimus servitude.

Well you can say the claim against the north christians to be without merit, yet you refuse to address what I gave you in my post #19. So, how about adddresing that.

Quantrill
Rach said:
I'm sorry...but basing your comments on the word "slave" and thereby finding similarity between the two states, is stretching it a bit.
Yes, we are 'slaves' to Christ....we have been bought for a price. But in reality the bible teaches that when we come into this 'slavery' we are actually gaining wonderful, amazing freedom. We become free from our sins, and that truth echos through our lives....our actions, thoughts and responses to other people.
The American slavery is the exact opposite. Not only where they still 'slaves' to their own sin, they were also 'slaves' to their owners sins. Too often those sins included sub human living standards, violence, rape and death....and having to watch as their children suffered the same fate, helpless to do anything against it.
Forget the word "slave" for a moment....find me one.....one verse in scripture that gives a Christian leave to treat any other human being in the above manner. Give me one verse in which Jesus said he had come so that we may enslave and de-humanise people. You cannot. And any bible verse that does address slavery....the slavery that was seen in biblical times, which was closer to indentured servitude....is telling us to treat said slaves with dignity and respect....for they were still our brothers and sisters.
My point is....you simply cannot find any scriptural passages or verses, that give us leave to treat people....regardless of their title of 'slave' or not....in a way that was seen in the sort of slavery in America.....it's just not there.
That's strange. Just because 'slave' is being talked about, then you say it is stretching it to think 'slave is being talked about.

The slavery you describe was American slavery, was European slavery, was Roman slavery, was Hebrew slavery concerning those who they conquered as instructed by God. See above post. So you are really stretching it to try and say slavery just isn't real slavery because you are Chrsitian and your Master is God. No one is saying it isn't the best thing that could happen to us. But it is still slavery. It isn't 'independence and freedom'

Please. You're asking for a verse to support your wrong definition of slavery. I have given you plenty to support slavery as an institution provided for by God. You're dreaming of 'indentured servitude'. Before many were taken slaves in Joshuas day, all the men were slaughtered. The women and children then divided up. Does that sound like indentured servitude to you?

A slave is a slave. Whether he is under better conditions in some places than others is immaterial Whether you agree with the conditions he is under is immaterial. He is still a slave. The Master/Slave relationship is in place. Just like you are a slave to God. As I am. It doesn't bother me at all. But just because it was the best thing that could happen for me, doesn't mean it isn't slavery.

Quantrill

Status
Not open for further replies.