Christians and Jews are both anti Acts 2:38.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eve

Mar 11, 2022
Gulf coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I repented, was baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins, and received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues one month later. I am amazed at Christians who shun me for doing exactly what the scripture said. I don’t belong to a church. I follow the Bible, pray and still struggle to clearly understand the godhead but I don’t feel understanding that is part of my salivation. I know many who are confused by that from all denominations. They struggle with it. Speaking in tongues is the biggie. Boy that just makes some Christian’s go off the deep end when you use those words. It’s in the Bible. I received it so I know it’s for today. I feel sad to see people fight against what is in the Bible.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think many Christians believed what Jesus said just before ascending into the clouds. I know I'm one of 'em.

Acts 1:5,

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
"But" sets that which follows (baptism in holy spirit) with that which went before (baptism in water). Water is fine, but the power is in the gift of holy spirit.

Acts 1:8,

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
It doesn't say, "But ye shall receive power, after that water is come upon you..."

It is helpful to remember that the entire book of Acts is a transition between the Old and the New. The First Christians were pretty much all Jews. They continued in the same way as they did in the OT. It was only gradually that Paul wrote his letters which turned the OT doctrine upside down.
Water baptism in the new testament church of Acts is in the name of Jesus Christ FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS per Acts 2:38.

The Holy Ghost will lead you to this event.

This is why many get the Holy Ghost prior to baptism.

The Holy Ghost is not a replacement for Acts 2:38.

Christendom teaches this absurd doctrine.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a riddle for you to try to decipher.

Of the 3000 that were added to the church, in Act's 2:38,.... all those in the upper room, including Peter, were not water baptized.

Notice that Peter is preaching and is given the "gift of Tongues"?
Yet, he was not water baptized that day before he preached, or given that Gift.

Why?
Because water is not necessary for Salvation.
This is why Paul told you that "Christ sent me not to water baptize".

And why did he say that?
Its to show you that water is not a part of Salvation......its only a part of discipleship that FOLLOWS Salvation.
Riddle immediately solved...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Question to the riddler....have you gladly received Acts 2:38 too?

Yes or no?

If yes, welcome to Acts 2:38.

If no, yikes!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism in the new testament church of Acts is in the name of Jesus Christ FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS per Acts 2:38.

The Holy Ghost will lead you to this event.

This is why many get the Holy Ghost prior to baptism.

The Holy Ghost is not a replacement for Acts 2:38.

Christendom teaches this absurd doctrine.
I see what you are saying, but there is nothing in Acts 2:38 about water.

Acts 1:5,

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
This is pretty clear. While true that John baptized with water, Jesus said things will change and they will be baptized in holy spirit. How else can this verse be taken? Very simply declaration.

Jesus changed many things. He boiled down the entire law into 2 commandments (love God, love your neighbor). He became the final Passover Lamb (1 Cor 5:7). He ended all the animal sacrifices (Heb 10). He changed many other things including baptism. As Acts 1:5 says, John baptized with water BUT (small word with huge implications) Jesus would baptize them in holy spirit.

Also, remember that Acts is a transition between the OT and the NT. The earliest church was still very Jewish in nature. They continued meeting in the temple for prayer at the required times, they continued with circumcision, and pretty much everything else they did before the Day of Pentecost. It wasn't until some time passed that they began to understand the true implications of Jesus' life. It was the Apostle Paul who really laid out the differences and he didn't come along until some time after Pentecost. Still, it is clear they did get the difference between water and holy spirit (Acts 1:5) that very day.

As I've said before, there is nothing at all wrong with water baptism. I would never criticize a believer for getting water baptism. But that doesn't change the truth that water never made anything perfect.

Heb 9:9-10,

9 Which [was] a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

10 [Which stood] only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed [on them] until the time of reformation.​

Meats, drinks and washings, though all instituted by God, did not make anyone perfect. They were all fleshy ordinances imposed only until Jesus came along. They foretold the Messiah. People baptized by John with water confessed their sins, but it says nothing about those people being saved or born again. In Acts 2:38 they were baptized in holy spirit (as per Acts 1:5) and their sins were remitted (a removal of sin).

How about Jesus' baptism by John? I don't think it insignificant that the holy spirit descended upon him when he got the water. Surely that has some bearing on our discussion. I believe it pointed to Acts 1:5.

Having said all of that and in the interest of fairness, I must include:

Mark 1:4,

There came John baptising in the wilderness, and preaching [the] baptism of repentance for remission of sins.
This seems to fly in the face of many other verses. Here it looks like water does result in the remission of sins. But didn't Hebrews (and many other places) say nothing was made perfect by carnal ordinances? So here we have what appears to be a contradiction in the Bible. Yikes! That can't be!

A general principle in reading the Bible is that when there are many clear verses on a subject along with one or two that appear to contradict the many, it makes way more sense to make the few unclear fit with the many clear than the other way around. Right now, I don't know how Mark 1:4 fits with the other verses I quoted, but I know it does and if I don't find out how in this lifetime, I will find out when he returns. It'll be great to meet you at that time brother.

God bless...Rich

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you are saying, but there is nothing in Acts 2:38 about water...A general principle in reading the Bible is that when there are many clear verses on a subject along with one or two that appear to contradict the many, it makes way more sense to make the few unclear fit with the many clear than the other way around. Right now, I don't know how Mark 1:4 fits with the other verses
Precious friend, Rich, A Very Warm Welcome to the board. Thanks for
your well-thought-out input. I also have this "general principle" as # 6
in Bible study Rules, but there is also rule # 2, which we should Also
Consider, eh? Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified!:

"Study to shew thyself Approved Unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, Rightly Dividing The Word Of Truth." (2Ti 2:15)
Here is an example:

God's Context Of Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL:

►►► The Twelve Were Sent to {water} baptize! ◄◄◄

The TWO Main (of 12) baptismS =

A) water, For remission of sins/induction into Israeli "priesthood!":
(Matthew_3:5-6; Mark 1:4; Luke_3:3; John_1:31, 3:5; Especially Luke 7:29-30; https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Luke-7-29_7-30/
Acts_10:37; Matthew_28:19; Mark_16:16; Acts_2:38, 22:16; Ezekiel_36:25)
[fits Very Well with ALL these, with no interpretations needed, Correct?]
+
B) WITH The Holy Spirit, Poured Out By CHRIST,
for power, signs And wonders!
(Isaiah_44:3; Matthew_3:11; Mark_1:8, 16:17-18;
Luke_24:49; Acts_2:17-18, 38, 8:15-17, 11:16)

Prophecy/Law

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That DIFFER!” {online}:

God's Other Context Of:

Mystery/GRACE! = NO water, BUT Spirit Only! According
To
our "apostle to the Gentiles" for The Body Of CHRIST:

►►► (ONE apostle) Paul Was Not Sent to {water} baptize! Why Not?: ◄◄◄

Today: Only ONE Baptism = "BY" The ONE Spirit = God's OPERATION
Spiritually
Identifying members In (The ONE Body Of) CHRIST!!
(Ephesians 4:5; Colossians_2:12; Galatians_3:27;
Romans_6:3-4; ►►► 1 Corinthians 12:13 ◄◄◄)

[the above water verses DO NOT fit Very Well with ALL these, Correct?
Simply leaving "each set of verses" In God's Context, Where HE Placed Them?]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: God Has "Only ONE" Baptism Today? = ONE!

Is it not Possible That God's Answer Of "No water baptism, for
us Today," Under HIS Pure GRACE, absolutely vanquishes Satan's
{Many Severely DIVIDED denominations?} Confusion into oblivion!?

---------------------------------------------------

FULL "study" of ALL Bible baptisms is here:

"Divider" Poll +
THIRTEEN Bible baptisms (← NINE water questions in "baptism #9" here!)

LORD JESUS, thank You for This Precious Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
, That
Has Solved my Confusion. May This Also be used for the
Encouragement of Many others. Amen.

---------------------------------------

GRACE And Peace...

Chris E

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, Rich, A Very Warm Welcome to the board. Thanks for
your well-thought-out input. I also have this "general principle" as # 6
in Bible study Rules, but there is also rule # 2, which we should Also
Consider, eh? Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified!:

"Study to shew thyself Approved Unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, Rightly Dividing The Word Of Truth." (2Ti 2:15)
Here is an example:

God's Context Of Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL:

►►► The Twelve Were Sent to {water} baptize! ◄◄◄

The TWO Main (of 12) baptismS =

A) water, For remission of sins/induction into Israeli "priesthood!":
(Matthew_3:5-6; Mark 1:4; Luke_3:3; John_1:31, 3:5; Especially Luke 7:29-30;
Acts_10:37; Matthew_28:19; Mark_16:16; Acts_2:38, 22:16; Ezekiel_36:25)
[fits Very Well with ALL these, with no interpretations needed, Correct?]
+
B) WITH The Holy Spirit, Poured Out By CHRIST,
for power, signs And wonders!
(Isaiah_44:3; Matthew_3:11; Mark_1:8, 16:17-18;
Luke_24:49; Acts_2:17-18, 38, 8:15-17, 11:16)

Prophecy/Law

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That DIFFER!” {online}:

God's Other Context Of:

Mystery/GRACE! = NO water, BUT Spirit Only! According
To
our "apostle to the Gentiles" for The Body Of CHRIST:

►►► (ONE apostle) Paul Was Not Sent to {water} baptize! Why Not?: ◄◄◄

Today: Only ONE Baptism = "BY" The ONE Spirit = God's OPERATION
Spiritually
Identifying members In (The ONE Body Of) CHRIST!!
(Ephesians 4:5; Colossians_2:12; Galatians_3:27;
Romans_6:3-4; ►►► 1 Corinthians 12:13 ◄◄◄)

[the above water verses DO NOT fit Very Well with ALL these, Correct?
Simply leaving "each set of verses" In God's Context, Where HE Placed Them?]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: God Has "Only ONE" Baptism Today? = ONE!

Is it not Possible That God's Answer Of "No water baptism, for
us Today," Under HIS Pure GRACE, absolutely vanquishes Satan's
{Many Severely DIVIDED denominations?} Confusion into oblivion!?

---------------------------------------------------

FULL "study" of ALL Bible baptisms is here:

"Divider" Poll +
THIRTEEN Bible baptisms (← NINE water questions in "baptism #9" here!)

LORD JESUS, thank You for This Precious Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
, That
Has Solved my Confusion. May This Also be used for the
Encouragement of Many others. Amen.

---------------------------------------

GRACE And Peace...

Chris E
Very well put brother. I like what you said about many clear verses over a few unclear verses when it comes to forming one's rule of faith and practice. A workman of God's word simply can't ignore any verse. They must all fit without contradiction. Sometimes that requires one to get into the original language, the culture, their worldview (quite different than out own modern West), and a few other things. That's why we're called "workmen." Understanding God is not play. I see that's pretty much what rule #9 said. I missed it, so thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks to Satan always distorting things, it takes a fair amount of discipline (hmmm...we're also called disciples) to see what God is telling us in His word. It's not just a matter of sitting in the pew once a week and listen to a 20 minute sermon. Not that there's anything wrong with listening to a sermon, but how many go back home and search the scriptures for themselves to see if what the preacher said is true or not? I don't know how many, but I wish there were more. The Bereans were called "noble" because they didn't even believe the great Apostle Paul without fact checking for themselves (better to say "truth" checking).

Personally, I'll take spirit over water any day of the week. More power to glorify our wonderful Father and His son, Jesus Christ. Jesus said we'd do all he did and even more (John 14:12). We don't do that by water. We do it by the spirit of Christ in us (Col 1:27). Pretty straight forward really, at least in my mind.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I repented, was baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins, and received the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues one month later. I am amazed at Christians who shun me for doing exactly what the scripture said. I don’t belong to a church. I follow the Bible, pray and still struggle to clearly understand the godhead but I don’t feel understanding that is part of my salivation. I know many who are confused by that from all denominations. They struggle with it. Speaking in tongues is the biggie. Boy that just makes some Christian’s go off the deep end when you use those words. It’s in the Bible. I received it so I know it’s for today. I feel sad to see people fight against what is in the Bible.

They shun it because they want to be saved their own way which does not include speaking in tongues.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see many Christians attacking the Jewish beliefs for rejecting Christ but the reality is, that Christians that do not obey Acts 2:38 are as disobedient as the Jews that rejected Peter in the first century.

There is no difference to God.

We are either part of the 1st century church via Acts 2:38 obedience or we are not via disobedience to Acts 2:38.

If we disobey it, we are not of the 3000 at Pentecost, but we are as the Sanhedrin and it's "followers of God".

There is no grey area with God. Peter provided no grey area to the murderers of Jesus, nor to us in the modern world.

I am amazed at the voluntary blindness I see towards the solution to the sinners of Acts these days.

It would be a cold day in hell when most modern Christians would get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins as Peter commanded them in Acts 2:38.

Peter has been shunned by the Christian community right before the return of Christ, in these days.

Blindness in part has not just happened to Israel as per Romans 11, but to Christians also.

The NT Church was born in Acts chapter two and continues to this day. All who wish to be saved need to follow Acts 2:38

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are mad because you are saved and they are not.

The enemy will not let them obey Acts 2:38.

He dominates their beliefs.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NT Church was born in Acts chapter two and continues to this day. All who wish to be saved need to follow Acts 2:38
Are you telling us that there is no plan "B"?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is not the only verse in the Bible and we must properly harmonize scripture with scripture (Acts 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18 etc..) before reaching our conclusion on doctrine.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is not the only verse in the Bible and we must properly harmonize scripture with scripture (Acts 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18 etc..) before reaching our conclusion on doctrine.
It is before those.

First things first.

Don't skip Acts 2:38, Dan.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not skip it. Don't skip Acts 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18.
You must qualify by obeying Acts 2:38 to read forward in Acts.

You are not qualified to read anything beyond Acts 2:38 since you oppose it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't oppose it because I don't interpret it in contradiction with Acts 3:19; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My experience was very similar and I agree totally with your post. My feeling is that some people can't understand or appreciate God's gifts, so they claim they're not real. Very sad.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is a very strange statement. Anyone can read forward in Acts, or the entire Bible for that matter. They don't need your permission.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've never been water-baptised because it simply never crossed my mind to do so, but if people want to do it to make them feel nearer to God and Jesus that's fine..:)

Paul wasn't too concerned about water-baptism-
"Jesus sent me not to baptise, but to preach the gospel" (1 Corinthians 1:17)

And water-baptism is no guarantee of anything-
"..the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Acts of the Apostles 8:16)

This verse indicates that people can receive the holy spirit even without water-baptism-
“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have" (Acts of the Apostles 10:47)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never been water-baptised because it simply never crossed my mind to do so, but if people want to do it to make them feel nearer to God and Jesus that's fine..:)

Paul wasn't too concerned about water-baptism-
"Jesus sent me not to baptise, but to preach the gospel" (1 Corinthians 1:17)

And water-baptism is no guarantee of anything-
"The holy spirit hadn't come upon the Samaritans as they'd simply been baptised" (Acts of the Apostles 8:16)

This verse indicates that people can receive the holy spirit without water-baptism-
"The Caesareans have received the holy spirit,so let us baptise them" (Acts of the Apostles 10:47)

Well said! Thanks.