Christians and Jews are both anti Acts 2:38.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38... verse is the pivotal verse of the N.T.
Eh... Really, rather than a pivotal verse, I would say the pivotal Person of the entire Bible is God ~ Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I think we would all agree on that, but that speaks to the central issue, Truther, that for so many, the "gospel" they believe and preach and teach ~ perhaps inadvertently ~ is man-centered. And that should not be. For what is truly pivotal in the New Testament, I would point to the following verses/passages:

* "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

* "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." (Romans 8:1-4)

* "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ ~ by grace you have been saved ~ and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:4-10)

* "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)

* "When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:30)

Grace and peace to you.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you chuckle at Matt 28:19?

Did you know Peter's understanding of Jesus' commission in Matt 28:19 is demonstrated in Acts 2:38?

Psst!! that was actually R.E. McAlister's understanding of Mat 28:19 that you're parroting.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psst!! that was actually R.E. McAlister's understanding of Mat 28:19 that you're parroting.
The Spirit brings to remembrance Paul's statement in 2 Timothy 4, that "...the time is coming..." ~ is now here ~ "...when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths," does it not, Bob?

Grace and peace to you.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eh... Really, rather than a pivotal verse, I would say the pivotal Person of the entire Bible is God ~ Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I think we would all agree on that, but that speaks to the central issue, Truther, that for so many, the "gospel" they believe and preach and teach ~ perhaps inadvertently ~ is man-centered. And that should not be. For what is truly pivotal in the New Testament, I would point to the following verses/passages:

* "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

* "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." (Romans 8:1-4)

* "But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ ~ by grace you have been saved ~ and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:4-10)

* "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to His great mercy, He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)

* "When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:30)

Grace and peace to you.
No, Acts 2:38 caused the first 3000 to become saved.

They are the church.

Anyone that deviates from the 3000 are fake, sinners that think they are saved under some religious banner.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never heard of him.

I saw that myself in Oct 1979.

It must be easy to see.

You saw it too, holding you accountable.

It is clear also that Peter knew the name of the son per Matt 28:19 is not "son", but "Jesus".

Most Christians are ignorant to Peter's revelation.

As a matter of fact, they are willfully blind to it.

I bet that 90% of all Christians think the name of the son is "son", by baptizing without saying "Jesus".

It is the most amazing but dark phenomenon in the entire world, compared to anything else that is strange.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I do a thread with the title, "what is the name of the son per Matt 28:19" this forum will melt down.

I can't resist.....

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Spirit brings to remembrance Paul's statement in 2 Timothy 4, that "...the time is coming..." ~ is now here ~ "...when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths," does it not, Bob?

Of course it does, so why have YOU wandered off into your "Baptism Myth"??????

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Acts 2:38 caused the first 3000 to become saved.
No, it didn't, Truther. They did it in response to what the knew they had received ~ the mercy and grace of God ~ and secondarily because of Peter's exhortation. Any claim otherwise is patently false, as that is the context of the passage and, specifically, Peter's context in issuing the exhortion..

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it does, so why have YOU wandered off into your "Baptism Myth"??????
Oh, boy... LOL! And what "myth" would that be, Bob? I'm rather eager to hear. :)

Wow. The lack of grace on this board is quite astounding.

Grace and peace to you, Bob.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CHuckle!! That if you ain't Baptized in the name of JESUS ONLY, you ain't born again, and you're gonna BURN!!!!
Uh, well, "CHuckle!!" right back atcha. I'm not propagating that in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Acts 2:38 IS THE MOST IMPORTANT VERSE IN THE ENTIRE BIBLE!!!!
Wait. Is this a continuation of the above, and therefore the myth you're talking about? If so, yes, I agree. In fairness, though, Truther (I get a kick out of that moniker... <chuckles>) said "pivotal," actually, and specified "in the New Testament." To that end, you might take a look at my response to him in Post 1143 above.

I think we're at least pretty close to agreement on what's going on here with regard to what Truther is saying.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it didn't, Truther. They did it in response to what the knew they had received ~ the mercy and grace of God ~ and secondarily because of Peter's exhortation. Any claim otherwise is patently false, as that is the context of the passage and, specifically, Peter's context in issuing the exhortion..

Grace and peace to you.
Acts 2:38 was not a suggestion, but a command.

The 3000 asked what to do when Peter called them murderers of Christ....

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

Do you understand Peter's reply at first glance, or after careful analysis?

I wonder what the 3000 thought about this command?...

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

No PHD analysis, just blind obedience the same day.

The PHD's came centuries later to debunk Peter.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.

Yes, convicted by the Spirit.

Yes. :)

Grace and peace to you.
If you ask someone, "what must I do to be saved", would you want a suggestion or a command as a reply?

If you say "suggestion", you are not serious, but critical.

If you say "command", you are serious and qualify to take action to be saved.

Per your words, you are not serious about being saved.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you ask someone, "what must I do to be saved", would you want a suggestion or a command as a reply?
I would want that someone to answer the question ~ truthfully, of course ~ and tell me what I must do to be saved. If I was hitting the ball badly and had some flaw in my golf swing, and I asked the club pro what I needed to do to fix it, I would want him or her to tell me, so then I could, you know, fix it. And that would be neither a suggestion nor a command.

If you say "suggestion", you are not serious, but critical. If you say "command", you are serious and qualify to take action to be saved. Per your words, you are not serious about being saved.
My goodness.

giphy.gif

Pronouncing me "not serious" is absolutely ridiculous. And I never said anything about a "suggestion," Truther. You're putting words in my mouth. The word I used was "exhortation," which is certainly not synonymous with "suggestion"... or "command," for that matter. I'm starting to doubt your command (see what I did there? :)) of the English language. "Exhortation" is a rather big word... I mean, you know, four whole syllables and all... but come on. :) An exhortation is an address or communication emphatically urging someone to do something (and is quite serious indeed).

Seriously. See what I did there? :)

giphy.gif

Grace and peace to you, Truther.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would want that someone to answer the question ~ truthfully, of course ~ and tell me what I must do to be saved. If I was hitting the ball badly and had some flaw in my golf swing, and I asked the club pro what I needed to do to fix it, I would want him or her to tell me, so then I could, you know, fix it. And that would be neither a suggestion nor a command.

My goodness.

giphy.gif

Pronouncing me "not serious" is absolutely ridiculous. And I never said anything about a "suggestion," Truther. You're putting words in my mouth. The word I used was "exhortation," which is certainly not synonymous with "suggestion"... or "command," for that matter. I'm starting to doubt your command (see what I did there? :)) of the English language. "Exhortation" is a rather big word... I mean, you know, four whole syllables and all... but come on. :) An exhortation is an address or communication emphatically urging someone to do something (and is quite serious indeed).

Seriously. See what I did there? :)

giphy.gif

Grace and peace to you, Truther.
An "exhortation" to do something is a mere strong suggestion.

A command is an order with severe consequences.

Do you think Acts 2:38 was an optional exhortation to the 3000 or a consequential command?

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An "exhortation" to do something is a mere strong suggestion.
No, I quoted directly from the dictionary, Truther. Now you're making up your own definitions... :) Again, an exhortation is an address or communication emphatically urging someone to do something (and is quite serious indeed). It is not a suggestion. A suggestion is (again quoting the dictionary) an idea or plan put forward for consideration, which suggests not knowing if what is being suggested is the correct course of action or not, and that's utterly ridiculous. Peter is quite sure of what he is saying in Acts 2. The dictionary cannot be rewritten... and neither can the Bible. :)

A command is an order with severe consequences.
Right, but the consequences are exacted by the one issuing the commandment. In this case, there are no consequences exacted by Peter (or any of the apostles, or any other person) for not being baptized. You're just dancing, now Truther. It's an exhortation.

Do you think Acts 2:38 was an optional exhortation to the 3000 or a consequential command?
Thank you, at least, for actually using the term 'exhortation' this time. It is optional in the sense that his hearers can either do it or not (be baptized; themselves and their households).

Aren't you tired yet of getting beat up? Not that I'm intentionally doing that, but my goodness. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited: