Christians arent suppose to judge according to Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It is a tricky subject. I believe there is a difference in the meaning of judgement. God is the judge, in that he rules and makes rulings even about eternal punishment and rewards. Man is not to decide for God.

As for discernment between good and evil, there is a distinction that this is encouraged. But it is also called judging, it is judging between opposing concepts.

And if we love someone we should correct them, this is what true friends should do as they wish for what is best for their friend.

Further at the very least we should not be hypocrites and point out a spek when we have a plank in our eye. This makes sense as if we are hypocrites what is the value of our advice? If it was so valuable we would heed it ourselves.

So even deciding if we should reveal our concerns to another should be judged as well. Rather it could be edifying to the hearer. Part of this is their fundamental beliefs, and would advice even be meaningful to them. I find no value in a lot of corrections regarding those who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior. For these isn't it better that they actually fulfill the desires of their flesh, to see the world so to say. Then they can reap their reward from the whirlwind and it might throw them down to the foot of the cross. There is more hope for these than for the self righteous.

Reactions: ChristisGod

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people who say the Bible ~ Jesus, actually ~ says "Christians are not supposed to judge" (specifically in Matthew 7:1) are inadvertently using that in a way something along the lines of "Christians are not supposed to think," which is quite ridiculous.

The proper directive is that pronouncing judgment upon and thus issuing condemnation to a person for their sin is something that it is only God's place to do; He is the Righteous Judge.

But there is nothing wrong with a Christian discerning between right and wrong and making decisions and even judgments for himself or herself ~ this is exactly what Jesus commands us to do in Matthew 7:6. Surely everyone would agree that this is a necessary part of being a functional human being.

Grace and peace to all.

Reactions: ChristisGod

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you elaborate, on what you are quoting, @Rockerduck?

Is Jesus wrong, when he says to not judge others?

It appears you're not properly discerning the words of Christ here. He says we will be judged according to how we judge others. Which is why He begins by saying we will be judged for the same things we judge of others. We aren't able to judge others unless we have first judged ourselves. Being sure we are not guilty of the same faults we find in others. Christ gives us this admonition so that we would examine our own hearts so that we don't begin to think of ourselves as being better or holier than others.

We are to make judgments against sinning, but we must not be as the Pharisees, seeing ourselves as being to good to be judged ourselves!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears you're not properly discerning the words of Christ here. He says we will be judged according to how we judge others. Which is why He begins by saying we will be judged for the same things we judge of others. We aren't able to judge others unless we have first judged ourselves. Being sure we are not guilty of the same faults we find in others. Christ gives us this admonition so that we would examine our own hearts so that we don't begin to think of ourselves as being better or holier than others.

We are to make judgments against sinning, but we must not be as the Pharisees, seeing ourselves as being to good to be judged ourselves!
Yes Jesus and the Apostles judged numerous times. And we are to judge truth from lies/ falsehoods and erroneous doctrines. We are to judge the fruits whether they are good or bad. The warning against judging like you pointed out is the hypocrisy of the Pharisees.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus and the Apostles judged numerous times. And we are to judge truth from lies/ falsehoods and erroneous doctrines. We are to judge the fruits whether they are good or bad. The warning against judging like you pointed out is the hypocrisy of the Pharisees.
I invite you to thread , dont not add to nor take from this book .
What i say to one i say to all . Now always examine me and any man . BUT IF WE DO , we better show them
their error FROM the BIBLE . Be encouraged my friend . Let no man , woman or child
ever add too or take from that book . TRUTH is we ought never add to nor take from ANY of GODS WORDS
lest HE reprove us and we be found a liar . Now lift those hands and let the KING be praised .

Reactions: Marvelloustime