Church Defied Coronavirus Order

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure that we will ever 'get over this '.
So many many small business will fail. They have closed, but I am sure they wont be able to open again. The poor little man down the road was so pleased with his lovely new hot dog machine. ( to go with the take-out coffee's etc) I bet that it is not paid for yet, now with this, so many will run up bills that they can never ever pay off. How sad.

I know we have. I hope when all this is over we still will have money to pay. This March has been the worst time for the Stock Market since the Great Depression :(

Reactions: onlyme17

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know we have. I hope when all this is over we still will have money to pay. This March has been the worst time for the Stock Market since the Great Depression :(
If people have cash, now would be a good time to buy stocks.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive heard this. Ive never been a risk type person. But Walmart seems pretty safe.
I have some cash (not a lot, that's for sure) in my retirement account. I just checked Walmart's stock price. It hasn't dropped much. It was around $120 a share in December. The current price is $113.62. You are right. It's not a risky kind of stock. I do expect their business to pick up though since so many stores sell other things as well as groceries. That means they can stay open for business and sell things that aren't considered essential while stores (like dress shops) are closed. If they post good earnings, that would drive the price up; but too much buying and selling of stocks cost money too with all the fees.

The dividend yield is rather low though, at least for what I'm looking for. It's still a lot better at 1.9% than savings accounts. Where can you get that high an interest rate on a savings account? I think maybe Capitol 1 has something that high; but most local banks are horribly low. Walmart would be a good stock if you wanted a good return on your money by holding onto the stock and collect the dividends.

I've been looking at some bank stocks. Some of them took a real dive. Some bank stocks look very under priced to me. Some may not pay dividends this year; but they will once the economy gets going again. If a company usually pays dividends, odds are they will when they afford it.

You're not a risk person? That's why it's smart to buy stocks when the price falls. People go into a panic and want to sell, driving the price down. Fear and greed are the two big motives in stocks. When things are going fine, people look at the stock market and say, "Look at that. It keeps going up and up. Maybe I should buy stocks." When too many people want to buy, the prices go up -- and then something bad happens, and the panic hits.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have some cash (not a lot, that's for sure) in my retirement account. I just checked Walmart's stock price. It hasn't dropped much. It was around $120 a share in December. The current price is $113.62. You are right. It's not a risky kind of stock. I do expect their business to pick up though since so many stores sell other things as well as groceries. That means they can stay open for business and sell things that aren't considered essential while stores (like dress shops) are closed. If they post good earnings, that would drive the price up; but too much buying and selling of stocks cost money too with all the fees.

The dividend yield is rather low though, at least for what I'm looking for. It's still a lot better at 1.9% than savings accounts. Where can you get that high an interest rate on a savings account? I think maybe Capitol 1 has something that high; but most local banks are horribly low. Walmart would be a good stock if you wanted a good return on your money by holding onto the stock and collect the dividends.

I've been looking at some bank stocks. Some of them took a real dive. Some bank stocks look very under priced to me. Some may not pay dividends this year; but they will once the economy gets going again. If a company usually pays dividends, odds are they will when they afford it.

You're not a risk person? That's why it's smart to buy stocks when the price falls. People go into a panic and want to sell, driving the price down. Fear and greed are the two big motives in stocks. When things are going fine, people look at the stock market and say, "Look at that. It keeps going up and up. Maybe I should buy stocks." When too many people want to buy, the prices go up -- and then something bad happens, and the panic hits.
A friend of mine told me you only lose money if you draw stocks out. I don't know much about it. We played a stock market game in a government class in school. That was fun.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only time you win or lose on the stock market is when you sell your shares.

It is prudent to buy shares in a viable company when the share value is low and to sell these same shares when the share value is higher than the original share price plus the fees associated with their purchase and sale so that if I am trading in shares, I can make a profit from shares that I have purchased. This is s short terms view of owning shares.

The news reports are telling me that I have lost money on my shares, but if I am not selling my shares, the actual value others have placed on the shares that I hold, if I am forced to sell them at this time, would mean that I would be selling the shares at a loss.

Many people hold a long term view on owning shares and they are considering the yearly dividend return on their shares which is their income from the shares. The percentage return on my shares with the dividend should be calculated on the value of the shares when they were purchased and not on the current trading value that people are prepared to pay for those same shares.

My wife's shares have paid out around $10,000 for this half year's distribution of the operating profits of the companies that she holds shares in and the return based on the value of the shares at the time that the dividend was set, was around 6.25%, but with the trading value of the shares dropping the trading value of those share by a third since the pandemic began to bite, the return on the dividends is now actually closer to 10% based on their current trading value.

People hold shares because the dividend payment return on the invested value of the shares gives a better return on the value of the money invested than what the percentage return that they banks are currently paying on invested money in term deposits.

The secret of buying and selling or holding shares is to have a diversified stock holding over a range of company exposures to maintain a consistent return as the stock holdings respond to the changing exposures of those companies.

The other secret is that your decisions cannot be based on emotions, but must be based on the hard cold facts of how a company is performing within its exposures and how the leadership is guiding the company into a stronger position to nullify those exposures and the ones that may be on the horizon. Companies are a bit like a sailing vessel, when bad weather comes the way of the vessel, its viability in weathering the storms etc is dependant on the maintenance of the vessel, and the skill and nerve of the crew and the earlier decisions made to minimise or avoid the approaching bad weather to reach the desired destination on time to realise the goals set for the vessel.

With owning shares, patience and prudence is the hallmark of the respective owners as to whether or not they are able to ride out the storms or flounder or sink while trying.

Shalom

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine told me you only lose money if you draw stocks out. I don't know much about it. We played a stock market game in a government class in school. That was fun.
I smile when I hear people saying the stock market "lost" or "gained" so much money. You don't lose or gain money unless you sell.

Time will tell if I made the right decisions in the two stocks I picked. I don't expect either company to pay dividends this year or maybe even for two years; but I am optimistic really that Trump and Congress won't allow most businesses to fail -- so I expect both will come back -- and I got the stock cheap.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only time you win or lose on the stock market is when you sell your shares.

It is prudent to buy shares in a viable company when the share value is low and to sell these same shares when the share value is higher than the original share price plus the fees associated with their purchase and sale so that if I am trading in shares, I can make a profit from shares that I have purchased. This is s short terms view of owning shares.

The news reports are telling me that I have lost money on my shares, but if I am not selling my shares, the actual value others have placed on the shares that I hold, if I am forced to sell them at this time, would mean that I would be selling the shares at a loss.

Many people hold a long term view on owning shares and they are considering the yearly dividend return on their shares which is their income from the shares. The percentage return on my shares with the dividend should be calculated on the value of the shares when they were purchased and not on the current trading value that people are prepared to pay for those same shares.

My wife's shares have paid out around $10,000 for this half year's distribution of the operating profits of the companies that she holds shares in and the return based on the value of the shares at the time that the dividend was set, was around 6.25%, but with the trading value of the shares dropping the trading value of those share by a third since the pandemic began to bite, the return on the dividends is now actually closer to 10% based on their current trading value.

People hold shares because the dividend payment return on the invested value of the shares gives a better return on the value of the money invested than what the percentage return that they banks are currently paying on invested money in term deposits.

The secret of buying and selling or holding shares is to have a diversified stock holding over a range of company exposures to maintain a consistent return as the stock holdings respond to the changing exposures of those companies.

The other secret is that your decisions cannot be based on emotions, but must be based on the hard cold facts of how a company is performing within its exposures and how the leadership is guiding the company into a stronger position to nullify those exposures and the ones that may be on the horizon. Companies are a bit like a sailing vessel, when bad weather comes the way of the vessel, its viability in weathering the storms etc is dependant on the maintenance of the vessel, and the skill and nerve of the crew and the earlier decisions made to minimise or avoid the approaching bad weather to reach the desired destination on time to realise the goals set for the vessel.

With owning shares, patience and prudence is the hallmark of the respective owners as to whether or not they are able to ride out the storms or flounder or sink while trying.

Shalom

I was so lost by this. Lol. I'll have to read this again slower later. But I really know nothing about the stock market. Can you be forces to sell shares? Like if a business closes?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I smile when I hear people saying the stock market "lost" or "gained" so much money. You don't lose or gain money unless you sell.

Time will tell if I made the right decisions in the two stocks I picked. I don't expect either company to pay dividends this year or maybe even for two years; but I am optimistic really that Trump and Congress won't allow most businesses to fail -- so I expect both will come back -- and I got the stock cheap.

I think my hubby has some stocks in the factory he works for. It is a food place that makes pretzels, so it seems pretty safe. He has worked there for almost 5 years, so I hope so.

Reactions: Giuliano

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think Matthew 4:6-7 has something to say to us here: 'You shall not test the Lord your God.'
Absolutely!

These mega-churches that are flouting the isolation guideliness will have to answer to God on the day of judgment for why through their selfishness and lack of love for the unsaved, that multitudes of unsaved people have gone and are going to hell before their time after contracting the virus through contact with them.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going back to the OP, I have been wondering why churches that are supposed to trust in God should be shutting their doors during this crisis but if it is law I suppose they haven't much choice.

Also I've been thinking that perhaps Christian who trust God could be doing more to help their communities.

Of course in order to come under God's protection there would have to be a leading of the Spirit and a knowledge that they were in God's will.
"supposed to trust God" doesn't count. "Supposed to" just doesn't help them.

God has revealed to enough people , even doctors , in several countries, what to do.
In His Word it was revealed long ago - and is ignored by most of those you see who are "supposed to trust God" (if they trusted God, they would be doing what God says, right?!)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure that we will ever 'get over this '.
So many many small business will fail. They have closed, but I am sure they wont be able to open again. The poor little man down the road was so pleased with his lovely new hot dog machine. ( to go with the take-out coffee's etc) I bet that it is not paid for yet, now with this, so many will run up bills that they can never ever pay off. How sad.
HOW did Israel get delivered from Egypt ?

IN the wilderness, with no grocery stores, no gas stations, etc

WHO supplied their needs daily for forty years ?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think my hubby has some stocks in the factory he works for. It is a food place that makes pretzels, so it seems pretty safe. He has worked there for almost 5 years, so I hope so.
It sounds safe enough to me. It reminds me of some advice I heard once: Never buy stock in a company that you don't understand how they make their money.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMHO....In the case of this particular church disobeying the mandate to not assemble then the church is wrong. For the safety and wellness of everyone we should respect the temporary bans to assemble in a public place in large numbers.

The believers in the NT, they were arrested when they would not obey man's orders, and they willingly were arrested - they did not resist.

The believers in Russia, and in China, the last five, ten, and hundred years, and more, likewise.

IF they do not know what to do to prevent contagion, then perhaps they should not assemble together.

IF they trust Jesus and Jesus says to assemble, then they would be most foolish of men to disobey Jesus.

IF anyhone here learns what to do to eliminate all the concerns about the contagions, then let them learn, and rejoice in God's Grace.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I believe we should always follow the lead of the Holy Spirit, that lead is not an arbitrary thing. If God wants people to physically meet together in direct opposition to civil law or recommendation, each of us should know that... not simply blindly follow a leader. That is, we should be hearing that from God for ourselves. Does not He speak to each of us or does He only speak to positioned ministers who then pass the word on to us?
Romans 13 also says to respect the authority.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The believers in the NT, they were arrested when they would not obey man's orders, and they willingly were arrested - they did not resist.

The believers in Russia, and in China, the last five, ten, and hundred years, and more, likewise.

IF they do not know what to do to prevent contagion, then perhaps they should not assemble together.

IF they trust Jesus and Jesus says to assemble, then they would be most foolish of men to disobey Jesus.

IF anyhone here learns what to do to eliminate all the concerns about the contagions, then let them learn, and rejoice in God's Grace.
While I do not fear this outbreak, I also do not tempt God. God does not get any honor or glory when a body of believers rebel against authority in a situation where there is a deadly virus spreading. And for those who have the faith to trust God that He will keep them safe, then they have a great testimony to share that brings Him Glory. Not everyone has that kind of faith and are already tormented with fear of the possibility of contracting the illness.
Believers in the Bible who were arrested for assembling were rebelling against a law that was written to prevent the spread of Christianity....not disease. Big difference there my friend.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I do not fear this outbreak, I also do not tempt God. God does not get any honor or glory when a body of believers rebel against authority in a situation where there is a deadly virus spreading. And for those who have the faith to trust God that He will keep them safe, then they have a great testimony to share that brings Him Glory. Not everyone has that kind of faith and are already tormented with fear of the possibility of contracting the illness.
Believers in the Bible who were arrested for assembling were rebelling against a law that was written to prevent the spread of Christianity....not disease. Big difference there my friend.
'friend'? To be proven by testing.
Look up the silver edge dot com / articles /
(take the spaces out, and replace "dot" with "." , of course.
If I am your friend - or rather, more important, if Jesus is your Master. (He has wonderful unexpected news for you already) (and freedom from the deceptions today)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 13 also says to respect the authority.
If they have authority given to them by God and we are submitted to the them then we should do as they say, but if they do not do not also do the right things, we are not to imitate their errors. First consider what Jesus said:

"... The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat
All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers" Matt 22:2-4

Those of which Jesus spoke had the position, but they presented poor examples. Who is it today who has positions given to them by God? We should not presume a person has it simply because he says he does. Unfortunately, men, even so called men of the cloth, the clergy, also may be liars?

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit." Matt 7:15-17

But then Apostle Paul also advises us to give double honor to some? To whom?

"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word" I Tim 5:17

To one holding a title or position in a church group who does Not labour in the Word should Not be honored!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were the founding Fathers wrong in their rebellion? Should we still be citizens of England?