Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostles didn't become bishops, they were always Apostles. They ordained bishops, they did not ordain new apostles. The Pope is a bishop, not an apostle. Archbishops and cardinals are bishops with a specific ecclesiastical functions.
Kepha31,
A quick question that I may have asked before but forgot the answer to:

In your replies you mentioned quite often about laying on of hands. Paul to Timothy, for example. Yet, I don't see that happening often with Popes. We had a unique happening in history recently when Pope Benedict gave up the "office" (if thats the correct term). Yet he didn't lay hands on Pope Francis that I know of. Certainly Pope John Paul didn't lay hands on Benedict. And I am unaware of any Pope laying hands on another Pope, though I expect it prolly happened early on on one or two occasions. And clearly it it never happened as there are 3-5 year periods where there was no Pope.

So my question is why all the talk about laying hands on when it hasn't happened? Popes are elected, not chosen as successors by former Popes.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. They can ordain bishops, they cannot make more apostles.
By What Authority - A Challenge to Protestant Pastors
I guess you misread what I asked, oh well...Is not the Lord Jesus an Apostle, scripture, Hebrews 3:1 "Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus”. now do the Lord Jesus ordain apostles in his church? yes or no.

Reactions: bbyrd009

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Kepha31,
A quick question that I may have asked before but forgot the answer to:

In your replies you mentioned quite often about laying on of hands. Paul to Timothy, for example. Yet, I don't see that happening often with Popes. We had a unique happening in history recently when Pope Benedict gave up the "office" (if thats the correct term). Yet he didn't lay hands on Pope Francis that I know of. Certainly Pope John Paul didn't lay hands on Benedict. And I am unaware of any Pope laying hands on another Pope, though I expect it prolly happened early on on one or two occasions. And clearly it it never happened as there are 3-5 year periods where there was no Pope.

So my question is why all the talk about laying hands on when it hasn't happened? Popes are elected, not chosen as successors by former Popes.
Laying on of hands is part of every ordination. All the bishops line up and take turns ordaining priests. Since the Pope is already a bishop, it may be redundant to have him re-cycled with unnecessary laying on of hands. I don't really know. Cameras are discouraged during sacred events, including Mass. Popes succeed the last legitimate Pope regardless of how many years have passed.

Reactions: FHII

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess you misread what I asked, oh well...Is not the Lord Jesus an Apostle, scripture, Hebrews 3:1 "Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus”. now do the Lord Jesus ordain apostles in his church? yes or no.
The Apostles cannot ordain or appoint another High Priest. You are creating a false dichotomy.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really know
this is a good answer, it an honest one. I honor Christian who tell the truth. on, scripture, as seen in Hebrews 3:1 our Lord is an Apostle. do he appoint, ordain apostles? let the scripture speak, 1 Corinthians 12:28 "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues”. the word "SET" here is the Greek word, G5087 τίθημι tithemi (tiy'-thee-miy) v. meaning to PLACE. which can be translated as "appoint", "ordain". source Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments. now God appoints, Ordain Apostle. now have God died out? no, have the church stop? no. simple revelation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostles cannot ordain or appoint another High Priest. You are creating a false dichotomy.
didn't aske about any high priest. there have only been one high priest, who is everlasting. don't need to appoint another....(smile).

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
didn't aske about any high priest. there have only been one high priest, who is everlasting. don't need to appoint another....(smile).
That's true.
Apostle means "one who is sent."
Jesus was sent directly by God. So He can be an Apostle in a lesser sense. Jesus "sent" the apostles "with all authority", which includes the authority to ordain bishops, convene councils and discern the canon of scripture.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's true.
Apostle means "one who is sent."
Jesus was sent directly by God. So He can be an Apostle in a lesser sense. Jesus "sent" the apostles "with all authority", which includes the authority to ordain bishops, convene councils and discern the canon of scripture.
I can't fully agree with that assessment totally. just because one is sent don't mean that they are an apostle, even by God. example, John the Baptist. John 1:6 "There was a man sent from God, whose name was John". the scriptures do not state that he was an apostle, but he was sent. and I know that he was under the OT. but he was on a mission and had authority from God. he was sent "from" God, not sent "by" God, but "FROM" God, big difference.

second beside Paul being an apostle, so was Barnabas, whom God/the Holy Ghost, who is the Lord Jesus, sent out into the world with Paul. Acts 13:2 "As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them". so, apostle are called and sent. Acts 14:14 "Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out". again we see God, the Lord Jesus, appoint apostles in his Church. just as he appointed Paul he also appointed Barnabas. so beside the original 12, Paul and Barnabas, (GOD CHOSEN), there are apostles that are chosen by men, and not by God only. but I'm sticking to God appointed men. because I know that some other apostles was found out to be lairs.

third, U said, "Jesus was sent directly by God. So He can be an Apostle in a lesser sense. Jesus "sent" the apostles". I can't understand your reasoning here as the the Lord Jesus as an apostle in a lesser sense?. if anything a greater sense, which there is much to say. he have all power if you have forgotten, (see Matt 28:18), so how can the lord Jesus be lesser?. apostles as well as Prophets, and Teacher are sent as he needs and he chooses. it's all about the Lord Jesus, and not about us. amen.

Peace in Christ JESUS/Yeshua.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can't fully agree with that assessment totally. just because one is sent don't mean that they are an apostle, even by God. example, John the Baptist. John 1:6 "There was a man sent from God, whose name was John". the scriptures do not state that he was an apostle, but he was sent. and I know that he was under the OT. but he was on a mission and had authority from God. he was sent "from" God, not sent "by" God, but "FROM" God, big difference.
Apostle means "one who is sent". I am not interested in pharisaical legalisms.

second beside Paul being an apostle, so was Barnabas, whom God/the Holy Ghost, who is the Lord Jesus, sent out into the world with Paul. Acts 13:2 "As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them". so, apostle are called and sent. Acts 14:14 "Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out". again we see God, the Lord Jesus, appoint apostles in his Church. just as he appointed Paul he also appointed Barnabas. so beside the original 12, Paul and Barnabas, (GOD CHOSEN), there are apostles that are chosen by men, and not by God only. but I'm sticking to God appointed men. because I know that some other apostles was found out to be lairs.
Really? Which appointed apostles were found to be liars?

third, U said, "Jesus was sent directly by God. So He can be an Apostle in a lesser sense. Jesus "sent" the apostles". I can't understand your reasoning here as the the Lord Jesus as an apostle in a lesser sense?. if anything a greater sense, which there is much to say. he have all power if you have forgotten, (see Matt 28:18), so how can the lord Jesus be lesser?. apostles as well as Prophets, and Teacher are sent as he needs and he chooses. it's all about the Lord Jesus, and not about us. amen.
I was wrong. I meant the 12 Apostles were apostles in a lesser sense than Jesus.

Did the original 12 apostles have successors or not? Scripture and history says they did.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, who gets to define "error" there though. Because i bet when you're getting martyred, it feels a lot like error.

"Hey Jesus, would you like to comment on whether God takes ppl out of light and into darkness?"

lol
Aye, we read about Stephen and how while they are stoning him to death in the flesh, he is looking up unto God. Can we do that? With God's help we can if we are looking always where we should be looking. Sometimes people are too concerned with the business of others to really pay attention to the more important things.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Which appointed apostles were found to be liars?
those appointed by men. just read, some apostles are of MEN. sent BY men.
I was wrong. I meant the 12 Apostles were apostles in a lesser sense than Jesus.

Did the original 12 apostles have successors or not? Scripture and history says they did.
you're not reading my post. see #606

Peace in Christ Jesus.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
those appointed by men. just read, some apostles are of MEN. sent BY men.
You made a false assertion and now you refuse to name the appointed apostles who were liars, so you give this non-answer.
you're not reading my post. see #606
Post 606 does not answer the question.
Did the original 12 apostles have successors or not? Scripture and history says they did. I answer all your posts, but I am quickly losing patience with your redirect-and-ignore game, and heavy use of red herrings.
Apostles were first identified by FUNCTION, not so much by titles. A function of the original 12 was to establish churches. A function of a bishop was to maintain the established church under the said Apostle. A bishop could establish a church under the direction of Peter or his successors. Apostle/bishop were interchangeable terms for a time.

Last edited by a moderator:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You made a false assertion and now you refuse to name the appointed apostles who were liars, so you give this non-answer.
Post 606 does not answer the question.
Did the original 12 apostles have successors or not? Scripture and history says they did. I answer all your posts, but I am quickly losing patience with your redirect-and-ignore game, and heavy use of red herrings.
Apostles were first identified by FUNCTION, not so much by titles. A function of the original 12 was to establish churches. A function of a bishop was to maintain the established church under the said Apostle. A bishop could establish a church under the direction of Peter or his successors. Apostle/bishop were interchangeable terms for a time.
I suggest you read and find out that some men are man made apostles. 2 Corinthians 11:13 "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

still you fail to understand Post 606. but let me explain it once more and the last time. God/the Lord Jesus appoints apostles in his church, and we have evidence of this with Paul, and Barnabas. THIS WAS AFTER THE TWELVE. that's enough evidence there. and Christ is not died out.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again it seems that we are in agreement although I hesitate to speak to definitely about the status quo of those who have already departed without first hand knowledge.
That's because YOU can't speak definitively on the matter - and neither can I.

The Supreme Authority Jesus gave to His Church was not given to the individual. We were not each given the power to bind and loose - to ordain something on earth that would also be ordained in Heaven. The power of this office was given to the Apostles and their successors.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I suggest you read and find out that some men are man made apostles. 2 Corinthians 11:13 "For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
No apostle can "transform themselves". That is why they are false.

still you fail to understand Post 606. but let me explain it once more and the last time. God/the Lord Jesus appoints apostles in his church, and we have evidence of this with Paul, and Barnabas. THIS WAS AFTER THE TWELVE. that's enough evidence there. and Christ is not died out.
That is what I have been trying to tell you.

The Apostles, then, did not take their office and authority upon themselves, but were appointed by a Superior Authority, Jesus Christ. The Scriptures attest to the unique authoritative status of the Apostles in several ways, which we will examine now.

Scripture shows that only the Apostles are "entrusted" with the care of the Gospel message:
• St. Paul "...they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised."(Gal. 2:7)

"...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation." (2 Cor. 5:19)

"...in accordance with the glorious gospel of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted." (1 Tim. 1:11)

• St. Timothy
"Paul, Silvanus [Silas], and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel." (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:4)

"O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you." (1 Tim. 6:20)

"...guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us." (2 Tim. 1:14)

You may object at this point that St. Timothy was not an apostle. I will concede that he was not an "Apostle," with a capital "A," but you must concede that Scripture clearly calls St. Timothy an apostle, thereby attesting to his apostolic authority:

"Paul, Silvanus [Silas], and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... nor did we seek glory from men, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ." (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:6)

It is not only St. Timothy who is called an apostle by Sacred Scripture, but also St. Barnabus, Apollos, and St. Titus:

St. Barnabus - "But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out among the multitude..." (Acts 14:14)

Apollos - "I planted, Apollos watered... He who plants and he who waters are equal." (1 Cor. 3:6, 8)

"I have applied all this to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brethren... For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death." (1 Cor. 4:6,9)

The objection will be raised: Titus is nowhere in Scripture explicitly called an apostle. I reply, it is implicit in what kind of authority is accorded to the apostles. Scripture testifies that only apostles are given full authority. Compare what is said of St. Paul and St. Timothy (both of whom are called "apostles") with what is said of St. Titus:

St. Paul - "...nor did we seek glory from men, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ." (1 Thess. 2:6)

St. Timothy - "As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine..." (1 Tim. 1:3)

"Command and teach these things." (1 Tim. 4:11)

"Remind them of this, and charge them before the Lord to avoid disputing about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers." (2 Tim. 2:14)

St. Titus - "This is why I left you in Crete, that you might amend what was defective, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you." (Tit.1:5)

"Declare these things; exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you." (Tit. 2:15)

"...our boasting before Titus has proved true. And his heart goes out all the more to you, as he remembers the obedience of you all, and the fear and trembling with which you received him." (2 Cor. 7:14-15)

Scripture also shows that only the Apostles refer to the Gospel message as their own personal possession:
"...when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Rom. 2:16)

"Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ..." (Rom. 16:25)

"Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended from David, as preached in my gospel." (2 Tim. 2:8)

"Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... for our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction." (1 Thess. 1:1 & 5)

"Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... God chose you from the beginning to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel..." (2 Thess. 1:1 & 2:13-14)

The Apostles possess the Gospel message precisely because it was (as the above passages demonstrated) "entrusted" to them, i.e., given to them, and not taken by them on their own initiative. This is completely in keeping with the restriction imposed by Heb. 5:4.

Thus far we have established how the Gospel message and the necessary authority that accompanies its preaching was passed on from God to Jesus Christ, then to the Apostles. The question we must ask now is this: after the original 12 Apostles, how is this Gospel and apostolic authority passed on? Is it passed on at all? After the death of the last Apostle, can any individual who feels "called" by God simply take up the mission and message and carry on where the Apostles left off?
The answer to this question is plainly "no," as we have already begun to see from Scripture. The mission and the message can only be passed on by someone who first possessed it. That is, the mission does not merely entail preaching the message, but with it comes the authority to spiritually "reproduce" and pass on the necessary authority to the next generation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Apostles, then, did not take their office and authority upon themselves, but were appointed by a Superior Authority, Jesus Christ. The Scriptures attest to the unique authoritative status of the Apostles in several ways, which we will examine now.

Scripture shows that only the Apostles are "entrusted" with the care of the Gospel message:
• St. Paul "...they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised."(Gal. 2:7)

"...in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation." (2 Cor. 5:19)

"...in accordance with the glorious gospel of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted." (1 Tim. 1:11)

• St. Timothy
"Paul, Silvanus [Silas], and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel." (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:4)

"...guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us." (2 Tim. 1:14)

You may object at this point that St. Timothy was not an apostle. I will concede that he was not an "Apostle," with a capital "A," but you must concede that Scripture clearly calls St. Timothy an apostle, thereby attesting to his apostolic authority:

"Paul, Silvanus [Silas], and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... nor did we seek glory from men, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ." (1 Thess. 1:1, 2:6)

It is not only St. Timothy who is called an apostle by Sacred Scripture, but also St. Barnabus, Apollos, and St. Titus:

St. Barnabus - "But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out among the multitude..." (Acts 14:14)

Apollos - "I planted, Apollos watered... He who plants and he who waters are equal." (1 Cor. 3:6, 8)

"I have applied all this to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brethren... For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death." (1 Cor. 4:6,9)

The objection will be raised: Titus is nowhere in Scripture explicitly called an apostle. I reply, it is implicit in what kind of authority is accorded to the apostles. Scripture testifies that only apostles are given full authority. Compare what is said of St. Paul and St. Timothy (both of whom are called "apostles") with what is said of St. Titus:

St. Paul - "...nor did we seek glory from men, whether from you or from others, though we might have made demands as apostles of Christ." (1 Thess. 2:6)

St. Timothy - "As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine..." (1 Tim. 1:3)

"Remind them of this, and charge them before the Lord to avoid disputing about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers." (2 Tim. 2:14)

St. Titus - "This is why I left you in Crete, that you might amend what was defective, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you." (Tit.1:5)

"Declare these things; exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you." (Tit. 2:15)

"...our boasting before Titus has proved true. And his heart goes out all the more to you, as he remembers the obedience of you all, and the fear and trembling with which you received him." (2 Cor. 7:14-15)

Scripture also shows that only the Apostles refer to the Gospel message as their own personal possession:
"...when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus." (Rom. 2:16)

"Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ..." (Rom. 16:25)

"Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended from David, as preached in my gospel." (2 Tim. 2:8)

"Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... for our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction." (1 Thess. 1:1 & 5)

"Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians... God chose you from the beginning to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel..." (2 Thess. 1:1 & 2:13-14)

The Apostles possess the Gospel message precisely because it was (as the above passages demonstrated) "entrusted" to them, i.e., given to them, and not taken by them on their own initiative. This is completely in keeping with the restriction imposed by Heb. 5:4.

Thus far we have established how the Gospel message and the necessary authority that accompanies its preaching was passed on from God to Jesus Christ, then to the Apostles. The question we must ask now is this: after the original 12 Apostles, how is this Gospel and apostolic authority passed on? Is it passed on at all? After the death of the last Apostle, can any individual who feels "called" by God simply take up the mission and message and carry on where the Apostles left off?
The answer to this question is plainly "no," as we have already begun to see from Scripture. The mission and the message can only be passed on by someone who first possessed it. That is, the mission does not merely entail preaching the message, but with it comes the authority to spiritually "reproduce" and pass on the necessary authority to the next generation.
well some men went and was not sent by God. and God/the Lord Jesus appoints apostles in his church and that God, see a challenge to any religion which is found at 1 Corinthians 12:28.... :eek:

Good day.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

• St. Timothy

no way could i ever make a post this long lol--i'm being discriminated against!