Coincidence? I Think Not!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Numbers 21:8
And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.​

John 6:40
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I just noticed the parallelism today, not only in the act of looking upon the object (physically in the case of the snake and metaphorically in the case of Jesus) but also in the fact that each object of observation was affixed to a stake and raised up for all to witness.

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.​

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I just noticed the parallelism today, not only in the act of looking upon the object (physically in the case of the snake and metaphorically in the case of Jesus) but also in the fact that each object of observation was affixed to a stake and raised up for all to witness.
Yes.....Jesus Christ made clear the prophetic meaning of the wilderness event involving the copper/bronze serpent when he told Nicodemus: “Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man must be lifted up, that everyone believing in him may have everlasting life.” (John3:13-15)

Like the serpent that Moses placed on a pole in the wilderness, the Son of God was also fastened on a stake, appearing to many as an evildoer, like a snake, being in the position of one considered to be cursed. (Deuteronomy 21:22-23; Galatians 3:13)

In the wilderness a person who had been bitten by one of the poisonous serpents evidently had to gaze at the serpent on the pole in faith. Similarly, to gain everlasting life through Christ it is necessary to exercise faith in him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.....Jesus Christ made clear the prophetic meaning of the wilderness event involving the copper/bronze serpent when he told Nicodemus: “Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man must be lifted up, that everyone believing in him may have everlasting life.” (John3:13-15)

Like the serpent that Moses placed on a pole in the wilderness, the Son of God was also fastened on a stake, appearing to many as an evildoer, like a snake, being in the position of one considered to be cursed. (Deuteronomy 21:22-23; Galatians 3:13)

In the wilderness a person who had been bitten by one of the poisonous serpents evidently had to gaze at the serpent on the pole in faith. Similarly, to gain everlasting life through Christ it is necessary to exercise faith in him.
:cool: You two got this! Excellent!

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You know I never picked up on that either sir, I can see the similarity. Many early things foreshadow things to come, likely you picked up on one.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The snake on the pole would represent the defeat of Satan, by Jesus having been the one to defeat him on the cross?

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The snake on the pole would represent the defeat of Satan, by Jesus having been the one to defeat him on the cross?

Possibly, but it seems the snake on a stake (TM) was simply a tool used to correct Israel's poor behaviors while they wandered the desert. It was Christ on the cross that heralded Satan's defeat.

What I wanted to draw attention to is the significance of looking upon the object raised on a stake as a means to gain life. In the case of Israel and the bronze snake, life was in the flesh, i.e. not dying from poison; whereas in the case of the Jews & Gentiles post Christ, life is in the spirit, i.e. salvation.

Watch the video by Jordan Peterson above. He explains the symbolism very well.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing that insight, LTLG, I’ll accept what you said as well, very good.

God is good isn’t he?

Reactions: LearningToLetGo

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently others have picked up on this already (shocking!). Here's a good YouTube video (only 8 mins long) on this:

In Matthew Chapter 23, Jesus is declaring woes to the authorities:
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

I see these as the fiery serpents that God sent among the people.
The High Priests, the Saducees, Pharisees, lawyers, doctors of the law.
All of these were like serpents biting the people according to how they interpreted the law.
While at the same time holding themselves guiltless.

Mat 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
Mat 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

There is this thing called "projection" . This is when you take your own attributes and apply it to someone else.
If you are a liar, then you call the other person a liar, deflecting the blame from yourself.
These serpents, cast their own sins on Jesus proclaiming him to be the Serpent himself.

Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

The disciples witnessed the authority the serpents believed they had over God's people.
If they could destroy an innocent man, then what would prevent them from destroying us all?
So the fear of death which these serpents used to control the people, used their authority (like the tails of scorpions)
to keep their authority. What greater fear is there than the fear of death itself.

Jesus defied death. His faith was greater than his fear. And when they did all they could do to him, they no longer had any power of him.
This is your hour of darkness:
Luk 22:53 When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

Jesus told the disciples:
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Jesus died. He was buried. But they did not have the victory over his soul.
The disciples witnessed a miracle. Jesus rose from the dead. The serpents had no power over him anymore.

This looking up at the serpent in the wilderness, is a reminder that there is no authority on earth greater than God's authority in heaven.
And one day as Peter was preaching in the town square, these serpents came to bite him.

Act 5:25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
Act 5:26 Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
Act 5:27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
Act 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Ah yes, this man's blood. The one you crucified and placed on a pole.
The one that has risen and has given us hope, and has healed us from your poisonous grasp.
And Peter replied:
Act 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Num 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
Num 21:7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
Num 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

When the world is biting at our heals, when their only intent is to rule over us with their own power and authority causing fear,
This is when we must look up to the cross and the one that went before us. To show us that we need not fear man and what he can do to our body, but rather fear him who has the power of life in his hands.

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Paul goes on to say:
Let no man judge you, let no man beguile you, because from this day forth you belong to the Lord.
And we answer only to him.

That's how I heard that video.
I like Jordan Peterson. He always has a banquet of thoughts on the table.
Thank You for sharing
:D
Hugs

Reactions: LearningToLetGo

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the world is biting at our heals, when their only intent is to rule over us with their own power and authority causing fear,
This is when we must look up to the cross and the one that went before us. To show us that we need not fear man and what he can do to our body, but rather fear him who has the power of life in his hands.

Amen! Well said!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Consider also the destruction of Nehushtan by King Hezekiah here:

"He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan." II Kings 18:4

And then see this on this forum a few years ago:

Who is Nehushtan? Why isn't Christ Nehushtan? Why hasn't your pastor ever so much as mentioned...

@bbyrd009

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider also the destruction of Nehushtan by King Hezekiah here:

"He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan." II Kings 18:4

And then see this on this forum a few years ago:

Who is Nehushtan? Why isn't Christ Nehushtan? Why hasn't your pastor ever so much as mentioned...

@bbyrd009
Thank You for sharing that post amadeus.
While Christ was on the cross ALL sin was placed upon him. He became the sin bearer for us ALL.
Nehushtan simply means made of brass.
Nehushtan = "a thing of brass"

Once all Sin was laid upon the body, and Jesus died, there was no longer a need for that body anymore.
And as the brass serpent was broken into pieces, Jesus also told us that his body was broken for us.
1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

I suppose there are many ways to interpret that. And I'm leaning on (don't look at the flesh to save you, take it down and break it, it's the spirit that saves) .
Paul says:
2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Another way to look at it is, Israel as a body, his people, was broken and they became two bands. Jews and Christians.
Judeao/Christian is a sect which believes in both the old and the new testaments. We have our roots in the Flesh of Israel, but are now the branches of the Spirit of Christ. Even though Christ himself is the root of Israel, they haven't left the flesh behind.

1Co 10:18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

The Gospel is written from Genesis to Revelation. But it had to unroll itself as a scroll over time.
As if in certain places throughout history, a seal was broken and new truths were revealed.
Jesus was the physical manifestation of all the promises God had given us in his word.
And this very Word became flesh and dwelt among us. And His rewards/promises are with him.
In order to fulfill God's plan, Jesus had to be the serpent in the wilderness, he had to be Nehushtan, he came to fulfill all prophecies concerning him and the gospel which he gave to us.

There is no looking back, there is only forward.

The golden calf that man had made to set up as their god, That was also broken and poured into the water.
And many that drank that water died. (reminds me of wormwood)
The serpent that God told Moses to set up, when it's physical purpose was "finished" it was taken down and broken.
But while it remained it gave the people "hope" it gave the people "faith" until the true savior would come to take away all sin of the world.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

And yet we now have the evidence of that faith, witnessed and proclaimed.

* just a note of reminder for myself*
Jer 32:14 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Take these evidences, this evidence of the purchase, both which is sealed, and this evidence which is open; and put them in an earthen vessel, that they may continue many days.
John chapter 5.

Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
Act 10:36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
Act 10:37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Act 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Act 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
Act 10:41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Learning new things everyday!
Hugs