Col 2:1-23

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:1
King James Version (KJV)

2 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

The Voice (VOICE)

2 This battle I am facing is huge. And I want you to know I do it for you, for all those at Laodicea, and for everyone else (even those who have never seen my face).

The Voice (VOICE)
The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

My thoughts.
The Christian life isn't always easy, it is a walk of faith.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, faith is required to survive, such was the case with the first man and we have received the same life in the flesh therefore the same is required.

The place in the flesh is like sand castles awaiting to return to the state it was before. The place doesn’t change its form does. Therefore only the spirit remains, and the result of believing or not believing.

To sustain place in the flesh one must eat that which sustains it’s life. To sustain one’s place in the Lord Jesus Christ one must eat of the tree of Life, or the Bread of Life so on and so forth.

Flesh can’t be faithful to the Kingdom of Heaven, how can something be faithful to something it doesn’t participate in?

Reactions: clark thompson
Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:2
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]2 [/SIZE]That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

Colossians 2:2
The Voice (VOICE)

2 I’m working hard to comfort and encourage them so that they will be knit together—that many hearts would become one through His love. I do it so they will be rich in understanding and have full knowledge of God’s mystery, which is the Anointed One Himself—

The Voice (VOICE)
The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

[SIZE=medium]These are my thoughts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We need to first understand about God’s love and then everything else will fall into its proper place.[/SIZE]

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Colossians was written post Acts28:28, and as such is one of Paul's last 7 Letters.
It; and they, have relevance to the period we are still in (Grace, or "Mystery Church" Age) in which the gentile is prime object and the Jew second; as opposed to the opposite up to the end of Acts!
The quoted verses include the fact of the "circumcision of the heart" (2:11) which is the condition of all true Christians.
Floyd.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:3
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]3 [/SIZE]In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Colossians 2:3
The Voice (VOICE)

3 in Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are concealed.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]Wisdom and knowledge come from and are given from the Lord, we should not them keep us from Him.[/SIZE]

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
clark thompson said:
King James Version (KJV)

2 For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

The Voice (VOICE)

2 This battle I am facing is huge. And I want you to know I do it for you, for all those at Laodicea, and for everyone else (even those who have never seen my face).

The Voice (VOICE)

My thoughts.
The Christian life isn't always easy, it is a walk of faith.
Being a true follower is the hardest accomplishment one can achieve in this lifetime. ( Matt 16:24) Few can do this. Yes faith--and as James taught--to have a strong alive faith( when it counts most) is only achieved by doing works( now)--without the works when the chips are down--ones faith will be worth as much as a corpse.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:4
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]4 [/SIZE]And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

The Voice (VOICE)

4 I only tell you this to warn you about those who would try and deceive you with their arguments. They seem plausible enough; but in the end, they are false.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]If we go by His words, we will not be deceived by others words.[/SIZE]

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:5
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]5 [/SIZE]For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

Colossians 2:5
The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=small]5 [/SIZE]Even though I cannot be there in the body, my spirit is with you; and I’m happy to know of your good order and your solid commitment to the Anointed One, our Liberating King.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]Other believers will be on our mind even if we do not have much contact with them anymore.[/SIZE]

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
clark thompson said:
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]4 [/SIZE]And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

The Voice (VOICE)

4 I only tell you this to warn you about those who would try and deceive you with their arguments. They seem plausible enough; but in the end, they are false.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]If we go by His words, we will not be deceived by others words.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yes when one listens to Jesus over men--they find truth( and find his teachers)--like this ultra important one--[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Therefore, keep on seeking first the kingdom and his(YHWH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added ( sustenance, covering, spirituality)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ultra important if Jesus said these 2 things must come first in ones daily life. Its a guarantee Jesus' teachers make 100% sure this is deep into each ones heart.[/SIZE]

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
kjw47 said:
Being a true follower is the hardest accomplishment one can achieve in this lifetime. ( Matt 16:24) Few can do this. Yes faith--and as James taught--to have a strong alive faith( when it counts most) is only achieved by doing works( now)--without the works when the chips are down--ones faith will be worth as much as a corpse.
It is the hardest for those who attempt it under their own strength and resources. In the meantime, Jesus solved the problem. He said that with men, it is impossible but with God all things are possible. As far as James goes, I noticed that you failed to mention his examples of works. There were two. The first one was Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son. The second was Rahab the harlot's (yes, harlot) willingness to help God's messengers. In short, the point was simply that what we do indicates what we believe.

So what do we believe about life and righteousness? In Rom.5:15-19, Paul calls them free gifts. Therefore if one is working for these, their works prove what they believe, that they are not free. On the other hand when we bear fruit, we demonstrate what we have received by faith, not what we are hoping to receive by our outward deeds. This is why it is called fruit. James was simply reasoning with his readers that if they really had faith it would be more evident by their love for one another. Love, by the way, was the subject of his concern for them. Read the letter more carefully, I suggest. Love is the primary fruit of the Spirit. If it is absent, then the Spirit was never given. Then faith never happened, as the Spirit is received by faith. You are unfortunately in the business of putting the cart before the horse.

Here is the order. Life is offered as a gift of grace. It is received by faith. It is then demonstrated by way of fruit. We call this "works" sometimes. But works do not lead to life. They come after it has been given. You have been lied to. Maybe not deliberately, but nonetheless, you have been beguiled into working for a free gift. I can only hope and pray your eyes are opened..if in fact these things are true in your case.

And therein lies the unfortunate consequence of changing the wording of a text, in this case Heb.11:1. If, while one is engaged in a so called evident demonstration (works), he cannot at the same time be given the so called assured expectation of things hoped for (re: the NWT). His assurance becomes directly associated with and dependent upon his own demonstration of works. Therefore one's assurance becomes relevant to his own performance, not God's promise of a free gift. Faith comes by hearing, not by doing. Salvation is by God's work for us, not by our work for Him (or worse, for ourselves). There is only One Savior. He who seeks (is motivated) to save his own life, will lose it. A sobering thought.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
williemac said:
It is the hardest for those who attempt it under their own strength and resources. In the meantime, Jesus solved the problem. He said that with men, it is impossible but with God all things are possible. As far as James goes, I noticed that you failed to mention his examples of works. There were two. The first one was Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son. The second was Rahab the harlot's (yes, harlot) willingness to help God's messengers. In short, the point was simply that what we do indicates what we believe.

So what do we believe about life and righteousness? In Rom.5:15-19, Paul calls them free gifts. Therefore if one is working for these, their works prove what they believe, that they are not free. On the other hand when we bear fruit, we demonstrate what we have received by faith, not what we are hoping to receive by our outward deeds. This is why it is called fruit. James was simply reasoning with his readers that if they really had faith it would be more evident by their love for one another. Love, by the way, was the subject of his concern for them. Read the letter more carefully, I suggest. Love is the primary fruit of the Spirit. If it is absent, then the Spirit was never given. Then faith never happened, as the Spirit is received by faith. You are unfortunately in the business of putting the cart before the horse.

Here is the order. Life is offered as a gift of grace. It is received by faith. It is then demonstrated by way of fruit. We call this "works" sometimes. But works do not lead to life. They come after it has been given. You have been lied to. Maybe not deliberately, but nonetheless, you have been beguiled into working for a free gift. I can only hope and pray your eyes are opened..if in fact these things are true in your case.

And therein lies the unfortunate consequence of changing the wording of a text, in this case Heb.11:1. If, while one is engaged in a so called evident demonstration (works), he cannot at the same time be given the so called assured expectation of things hoped for (re: the NWT). His assurance becomes directly associated with and dependent upon his own demonstration of works. Therefore one's assurance becomes relevant to his own performance, not God's promise of a free gift. Faith comes by hearing, not by doing. Salvation is by God's work for us, not by our work for Him (or worse, for ourselves). There is only One Savior. He who seeks (is motivated) to save his own life, will lose it. A sobering thought.
I don't know what you mean--I am not doing works to get saved--do you listen--works builds a strong living faith. In a sense works is apart of the process to getting saved, without a strong living faith one will fall.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:6
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE]As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

The Voice (VOICE)

Paul calls the believers in Colossae to remain steadfast in their faith.

[SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE]Now that you have welcomed the Anointed One, Jesus the Lord, into your lives, continue to journey with Him and allow Him to shape your lives.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]We who are claiming to be of Christ need to live as Christ and follow Him.[/SIZE]

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
clark thompson said:
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE]As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

The Voice (VOICE)

Paul calls the believers in Colossae to remain steadfast in their faith.

[SIZE=small]6 [/SIZE]Now that you have welcomed the Anointed One, Jesus the Lord, into your lives, continue to journey with Him and allow Him to shape your lives.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]We who are claiming to be of Christ need to live as Christ and follow Him.[/SIZE]
I agree, one must apply every teaching, not pick and choose. And serve Jesus' God as well-The same God--Abraham, Job, Noah, Daniel, Isaiah, Elijah----- Peter, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc served(s) YHWH(Jehovah)( psalm 83:18)--John 20:17, rev 3:12

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:7
King James Version (KJV)

[SIZE=small]7 [/SIZE]Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Colossians 2:7
The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=small]7 [/SIZE]Let your roots grow down deeply in Him, and let Him build you up on a firm foundation. Be strong in the faith, just as you were taught, and always spill over with thankfulness.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]We are to grow thru Him by faith.[/SIZE]

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
From Williemac:

From Floyd.

The JWs have great trouble in their self imposed prison.

One has to pity their condition, which is reinforced by the system they are in; which; like R.Catholics, they would be ostracised and abandoned from their peer group; which the majority cannot countenance!

They also whilst so imprisoned, do not know what joy and freedom awaits those who are Christ's Body!

Whilst they must be resisted and countered, we should also pray for their release.

Floyd.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
Floyd said:
From Williemac:

From Floyd.

The JWs have great trouble in their self imposed prison.

One has to pity their condition, which is reinforced by the system they are in; which; like R.Catholics, they would be ostracised and abandoned from their peer group; which the majority cannot countenance!

They also whilst so imprisoned, do not know what joy and freedom awaits those who are Christ's Body!

Whilst they must be resisted and countered, we should also pray for their release.

Floyd.

I don't know any Jw that works for free gifts. Maybe the fake ones. A JW is a follower of Christ--thus--a fisher of men is what Jesus made his followers, and they choose this path with their own free will. Then this becomes reality--This good news of the kingdom will be preached worldwide, then the end will come----- one who understands this know' the work Jesus started continues until the end. Then this ultra important teaching from Jesus assures one that they will lack of nothing they need if they do these two things-

Therefore, keep on seeking first the kingdom and his( YHWH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added ( sustenance, covering, spirituality)Matt 6:33

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:8
King James Version (KJV)

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=small]8 [/SIZE]Make sure no predator makes you his prey through some misleading philosophy and empty deception based on traditions fabricated by mere mortals. These are sourced in the elementary principles originating in this world and not in the Anointed One (so don’t let their talks capture you).

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]People will try to lead away from truth into lies of the world.[/SIZE]

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
clark thompson said:
King James Version (KJV)

8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=small]8 [/SIZE]Make sure no predator makes you his prey through some misleading philosophy and empty deception based on traditions fabricated by mere mortals. These are sourced in the elementary principles originating in this world and not in the Anointed One (so don’t let their talks capture you).

The Voice (VOICE)

[SIZE=medium]People will try to lead away from truth into lies of the world.[/SIZE]
Yes!
Floyd.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
clark thompson said:
King James Version (KJV)

The Voice (VOICE)

The Voice (VOICE)

There are many deceivers out there--but we have clues to look for--like this important reality--Daniel 12:4--in these last days truths would become abundant--truths that were hidden from every mortal until these last days--thus--error teachings have been there for centuries--- find the teachers who are making the required changes to error teachings and finding new light, and you will find the one single religion that has the real HS. The rest remain in darkness.