Commandments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
All of those things are to help us live a better life and to reach eternal life.

You can't reach eternal life by keeping law or by keeping commandments.

If you could @Augustine56, then Jesus never had to die for your sin.

The Law and Commandments, before we are saved, show us.. REVEAL US as we are in God's perspective = "ALL have sinned".

And then the good news for "all who have sinned", was born of a Virgin..

= JESUS, came into the world to SAVE SINNERS.

Not water, not works, not commandment keeping, but JESUS Himself, on the Cross is our ETERNAL Redemption = Salvation.

Or as Jesus told you... "All who believe in Me, .... I give unto them Eternal LIFE.. and they shall never go to hell, )(perish)".

Now the reason your cult of Mary teaches what you just taught.... that is a lie... (as you said.. that commandment keeping and other things.... is how to """REACH eternal life".

So, that is a "cult of Mary" lie, and you should not believe it, or teach it as when you do, you become this one... = Galatians 1:8

Listen..... its JESUS who gives, GIVES YOU>.. eternal life, if you BELIEVE.

And that is not water baptism, or lighting a candle to mary, or commandment keeping.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't reach eternal life by keeping law or by keeping commandments.

If you could @Augustine56, then Jesus never had to die for your sin.

The Law and Commandments, before we are saved, show us.. REVEAL US as we are in God's perspective = "ALL have sinned".

And then the good news for "all who have sinned", was born of a Virgin..

= JESUS, came into the world to SAVE SINNERS.

Not water, not works, not commandment keeping, but JESUS Himself, on the Cross is our ETERNAL Redemption = Salvation.

Or as Jesus told you... "All who believe in Me, .... I give unto them Eternal LIFE.. and they shall never go to hell, )(perish)".

Now the reason your cult of Mary teaches what you just taught.... that is a lie... (as you said.. that commandment keeping and other things.... is how to """REACH eternal life".

So, that is a "cult of Mary" lie, and you should not believe it, or teach it as when you do, you become this one... = Galatians 1:8

Listen..... its JESUS who gives, GIVES YOU>.. eternal life, if you BELIEVE.

And that is not water baptism, or lighting a candle to mary, or commandment keeping.

Jesus said, "IF you love Me, you will keep my Commandments." John 14:15

The two sentences that sum up the requirements for salvation are these: To come to God and be saved, you need to repent, have faith, and be baptized. If you commit mortal sin, you need to repent, have faith, and go to sacramental Confession.

That’s it. That’s all there is to it. And we can show each of these things from the Bible.

The need to repent is shown by the fact that, right at the beginning of his ministry, Jesus began preaching the gospel, saying “repent and believe in the gospel” (Mark 1:14-15).

The need for faith is shown when the author of the letter to the Hebrews writes that “Without faith it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him” (Heb. 11:6).

And the need for baptism is shown when St. Peter flatly tells us: “Baptism now saves you” (1 Peter 3:21).

So that’s what you need to do if you want to come to God and be saved: Repent, have faith, and be baptized.

If you do these things, you’ll be in a state of grace, and as long as you remain in a state of grace, you’ll go to heaven.

But we still have free will, and we can still turn our backs on God and fall from grace, to use St. Paul’s phrase (Galatians 5:4).

St. Paul is very clear about the possibility of us committing mortal sin. He tells us: “Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

To turn away from God and commit mortal sin is the opposite of repenting. So when we fall into mortal sin, we need to turn back to God—to repent again.

We also need to have faith.

And then we need to go to confession. This is something Jesus indicated just after he rose from the dead. He came to his disciples, breathed on them, and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained” (John 20:22-23)

So Jesus empowered his ministers to forgive or retain sins. In order for a priest to know whether he is to forgive or retain a sin, he needs to know about the sin and whether we have repented of it. That means we need to go and tell him these things, and so we have the sacrament of confession.

So that’s what you need to do. To come to God and be saved, you need to repent, have faith, and be baptized. If you commit mortal sin, you need to repent, have faith, and go to confession.

It’s all thoroughly biblical.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 Commandments are a summary of the Natural Law, given us by God.

So, what is the Natural Law? Here's my explanation. I'm assuming you have a car. In your car, in the glove box, is usually a manual put there by the manufacturer of your car. It explains how your car was designed to best operate. For example, it tells you that you should use unleaded gasoline in the tank and 5w20 oil in the crankcase. But, what if, you woke up one morning and thought to yourself, "You know, I've thought long and hard about this, and I'm absolutely convinced that my car will run just as well on water as it does on unleaded gasoline!" So, the next time you needed to tank up, you drug the garden hose over and filled up your tank with water. What would be the result of your actions with regard to your car? You'd be a pedestrian! Why? Because your car wasn't designed to run on water, regardless of what you thought! It would do no good to start complaining, "It's MY car! Who are THEY to tell ME what to do with MY car? I paid for it!" How silly, yes?

Well, the 10 Commandments are the "manual" given us humans by God, to tell us how we should best live according to how He designed us. All of those things are to help us live a better life and to reach eternal life. They aren't there to take anything away from us, except perhaps pain and sorrow.
Trying to insert Sabbath Law into Moral Law is like putting water into your car engine. There is *no place* for Sabbath Law in Christian Morality. It was an OT law for Israel, and has been retired at the cross of Jesus. Jesus did everything we couldn't do under the Law. We don't need religious feasts, Sabbath laws, animal sacrifices, dietary regulations, etc.

We get our morality by placing our trust in Jesus, and not by putting our trust in the Law of Moses. We get our virtue from Jesus, and not from an expired Law that always pointed out that we fall short of Eternal Life. Sabbath Law will be of no benefit to you because Jesus comes to us without Sabbath requirement.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trying to insert Sabbath Law into Moral Law is like putting water into your car engine. There is *no place* for Sabbath Law in Christian Morality. It was an OT law for Israel, and has been retired at the cross of Jesus. Jesus did everything we couldn't do under the Law. We don't need religious feasts, Sabbath laws, animal sacrifices, dietary regulations, etc.

We get our morality by placing our trust in Jesus, and not by putting our trust in the Law of Moses. We get our virtue from Jesus, and not from an expired Law that always pointed out that we fall short of Eternal Life. Sabbath Law will be of no benefit to you because Jesus comes to us without Sabbath requirement.
I think you're confused. There were two sets of laws in Jesus' day. Divine Law (10 Commandments) and Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law is commonly divided into civil, ceremonial, and moral precepts.

Here's a good article that explains it more clearly: Divine Law

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're confused. There were two sets of laws in Jesus' day. Divine Law (10 Commandments) and Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law is commonly divided into civil, ceremonial, and moral precepts.

Here's a good article that explains it more clearly: Divine Law
I am not confused on this matter. But you seem to claim a division between "Divine Law" and "Mosaic Law," when no such distinction is made biblically. And so, you want to establish truth that isn't truth, Bible that isn't Bible.

To me it's beyond dispute that the "10 Commandments" were a subset of the Law of Moses. It was a list given twice in the Pentateuch, which is the Law of Moses.

Calling the 10 Commandments the "Divine Law" is a category you created to defend your position that the 10 Commandments are eternal, whereas the regulatory Law is not. In reality, the entire Law, regulations and morals, is bundled under a single Covenant that expired at the cross.

The same moral rules apply now under a brand new covenant, the Covenant of Christ. But it excludes Sabbath Law because that regulation is associated with pre-redemption practices given solely to Israel. Nowhere in NT theology are we told that Christians, Jew or Gentile, should practice Sabbath Law. You just make that up out of nothing.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They may be the same commandments or they may not. "Remember the Sabbath Day" is not a New Covenant commandment, even though the rest of the Commandments may be somehow applicable under the New Covenant.
Well, well,"may somehow be applicable" is better than what you thought before.

It was a screw up of the Lord's-- engraving a ceremonial law like the Sabbath into stone as He did the other nine with His finger? And Moses wrote the other laws down with his hand (handwriting of ordinances)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I haven't at all changed my opinion. Your perception of what I believe is what probably changed. ;)
It was a screw up of the Lord's-- engraving a ceremonial law like the Sabbath into stone as He did the other nine with His finger? And Moses wrote the other laws down with his hand (handwriting of ordinances)
Of course I don't think that! God wrote some of the Law, and Moses wrote some of the Law by the inspiration of God. Moses was on a conversational basis with the Lord in some respects. Revelation doesn't get any better than that!

I will say it again. The 10 Commandments was a subset of the Law of Moses, and represented the moral aspect of the Law. The fact it included Sabbath Law indicates that it was not just moral law but also ceremonial law, or ritual law. It was not NT Law.

Many moral aspects of the Law of Moses are contained in an *entirely different covenant,* namely the NT Covenant. It was moral for Israel to obey the Law while it was in effect. But it is no longer moral to do that, now that it is no longer an efficacious covenant.

But moral aspects like obedience to divine virtue and obedience to God's word are eternal values true both in the 10 Commandments and in the new covenant of Jesus. I've said this all along, and nothing has changed.

Let me put it like this since you just don't seem to understand me. When it is written, "You shall not steal" under the Law, it is not the same thing as obeying "You shall not steal" under the New Covenant of Christ. One is predicated upon serving God under the temple system. The other is predicated on Christ's replacement of the temple system.

The command to "not steal" is identical in both covenants. However, what matters is what covenant we are serving when carrying out the commandment?

However, the commandment to "remember the Sabbath Day" is not identical from covenant to covenant. It is strictly an OT commandment. The fact it was written by the hand of God had only OT relevance. It was meant only for Israel during that time period.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how much time off I need in retirement?
I was warned that when you retire, you have to retire TO something. In other words, you have to have something to do.

That's true. I retired because I was bored with my job, but retiring didn't completely solve the problem.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a truism. Jesus did not, of course, negate himself or his teaching. But he did determine that in light of a covenant agreement, in which Israel failed to keep their part of the agreement, the covenant agreement was dead.
Likewise, Jesus did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of negating anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts (Jeremiah 31:33, Hebrews 8:10). Laws that weren't followed after the destruction of the 1st temple were once again after the construction of the 2nd temple, so there is nothing about the destruction of the 2nd temple that means that any of God's laws have been annulled.

As I told you, Jesus was not subject to the Law of Moses. He said he was Lord of the Sabbath. And what he told Israel to do while they were under the Law he did *not* tell them to do after the cross.

Jesus went to heaven, but he commissioned his apostles to lay the foundation for NT truth, which is *not* OT truth. To teach the Law in the NT era is heresy.
Again, Jesus was born under the law (Galatians 4:4) and circumcised on the 8th day (Luke 2:21), so he was a member of the Mosaic Covenant who was subject to the Law of Moses, so you insisting otherwise is contrary to the Bible. Jesus being Lord the Sabbath means that the Sabbath is about him, not that he was not obligated to keep the Sabbath holy as a member of the Mosaic Covenant. There is nothing that Jesus said after the cross to negate anything he taught before the cross. In Matthew 28:16-20, Jesus commissioned his disciples to make disciples of all nations teaching everything that he taught them. Jesus notably did not instruct his disciples to reject everything that he taught them and to teach the nations to do something else. The NT authors quoted or alluded to the OT thousands of times in order to show that it supported what they were saying and to show that they hadn't departed from it. In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture to see if what he was said was true, so agreement with OT Scripture is the standard by which we should accept the truth of what is written in the NT. In Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scriptures were written for our instruction. It absurd to think that the position that followers of God should follow what He has commanded in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow is heresy.

He was God.

The Scriptures are saying that Jesus was born under the *era* of the Law--not *subject* to the Law.
God can obligate Himself to do certain things, such as to act in accordance with what He promised, so the fact that Jesus is God does not mean that he was not obligated to obey the Mosaic Law. Even if Jesus hadn't been obligated to obey it, then he still would have lived in complete accordance with it because he still would have had the same character. Immersion is not just done for repentance. In Galatians 4:4, it notably does not state that Jesus was born under the era of the law, but that he was born under the law. Most of the Mosaic Law has nothing to do with sacrifices and most of the types of sacrifices have nothing to do with sin. The Bible does not state that the Sabbath rest and certain foods did not pertain to him or that feast days did not pertain to him, so you're just making things up.

What do you mean by Jesus embodying the Law?
I didn't say that Jesus was a sinner, but that he embodied the Mosaic Law by living in sinless obedience to it. In Hebrews 1:3, the Son is the exact image of God's character, so if the character traits of God that the Mosaic Law was given to teach us how to testify about were the form of a body that we can see, then that would be Jesus.

On the contrary, Jesus predicted the fall of their entire temple system. He was not advocating for temple sacrifices at a temple that would not exist!
If all of Jerusalem had accepted the Gospel message, then the 2nd temple would not have been destroyed and sacrifices would still be being offered.

No NT teaching suggests either Jew or Gentile follow Jesus in his pre-cross adherence to the Law. On the contrary, we are told that to teach the Law as a requirement for redemption is heresy.

Gal 3.1-5
I cited 1 Peter 2:21-22, 1 John 2:6, and 1 Corinthians 11:1 to support following Christ's example while there is nothing in the NT that speaks against doing that. Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Mosaic Law by word and by example and Galatians should not be interpreted as speaking against following Christ.

In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God, so obedience to God is part of the way to receive the Spirit, however, Galatians 3:1-2 denies that "works of the law" are part of the way to receive the Spirit, therefore that phrase does not refer to obedience to the Mosaic Law. In Romans 3:27-31, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, so works of the law are of works while our faith upholds the Mosaic Law, so it is of faith, and the law that our faith upholds can't be referring to the works of the law that are not of faith in Galatians 3:10-12. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to trust in God is by obediently trusting in His instructions, it is contradictory to think that we should trust in God for salvation, but not in His instructions, and to interpret Galatians 3:10-12 as saying that God's law is untrustworthy/not of faith is to deny the trustworthiness/faithfulness of God.

Again, according Titus 2:14, becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross. The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty of our sins should make us want to go and sin no more by living in obedience to the Mosaic Law, not consider ourselves free to do the things that God revealed to be sin through it. In Romans 8:1, there is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ, and in 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, so there is only no condemnation for those who are walking in obedience to the Mosaic Law.

The Law did not justify any infraction of God's moral law, and only brought temporary redemption by faith. The only thing that could redeem from death was Christ himself, justifying men *apart from the Law!* No man could be justified from death by the Law!

Since you reject Redemption through Christ Alone 101, no sense arguing with you. But others should know that your teaching of OT Law in the NT era is heretical.
While we do not earn our righteousness as the result of obeying the Mosaic Law because it was never given as a way of doing that, that does not mean that we are not obligated to obey it for the purposes for which it was given. The way to become righteous is different from what we are becoming when we become righteous. The only way to become righteous is by faith that we ought to be doers of righteous works apart from being required to have first done a certain amount of righteous works, but becoming righteous through faith means becoming a doer of righteous works through faith, so it is contradictory for someone to become righteous apart from becoming a doer of righteous works. For example, to say that God is righteous means that He is a doer of righteous works and it would be contradictory to say that God is righteous if He were not a doer of righteous works. This is why the same faith by which we are declared righteous does not abolish our need to be a doer of righteous works in obedience to God's law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:31).

In accordance with Titus 2:14, It is not becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law that is rejecting redemption through Christ alone, but rather the way to reject that is by returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was warned that when you retire, you have to retire TO something. In other words, you have to have something to do.

That's true. I retired because I was bored with my job, but retiring didn't completely solve the problem.
Well, one thing I do is spend a few minutes of every day trying to resolve problems on forums. ;) I do a little gardening, among other pursuits. ;) I find that I need a lot more rest than in earlier times, and a few naps that I never needed before...

Reactions: Bob Estey

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To suggest that some of God's laws are not moral laws is to suggest that we can be acting morally while disobeying those laws, however, there is no example in the Bible of disobedience to any of God's laws being said to be moral and I do not see justification for thinking that it can ever be moral to disobey God. Morality is in regard to what we ought to do and we ought to obey God, so all of God's laws are inherently moral laws. Legislators give laws according to what they think ought to be done, so for you suggest that some of God's laws are not moral laws is to suggest that God made a moral error about what ought to be done when He gave those laws, and therefore to claim to have greater moral knowledge than God.

In Titus 2:14 it does not say that Christ gave himself to retire any laws, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what he accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

In 1 Corinthians 5:6-8, Paul spoke in regard to how Passover foreshadowed Jesus by drawing the connection of him being our Passover Lamb, however, instead of concluded that we no longer need to observe Passover after the cross, he concluded by saying that we should therefore continue to observe Passover. The only way that we should no longer continue to observe Passover is if the eternal things that it testifies about Jesus are no longer eternally true.

In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to do that, which includes keeping His Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3) and refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so by following God's instructions for how to be holy as He is holy we are testifying about His eternal holiness, while the only way that we should no longer follow those instructions is if God is no longer eternally holy.

It is contradictory to think that we should place our trust in God's word made flesh, but not in God's word. The Bible repeatedly states that obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to inherit eternal life, never that it points out that we fall short of it. If you believe that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, then you should live in a way that testifies about that truth by keeping the Sabbath holy rather than a way that denies that truth.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All of God's laws have the same moral authority regardless of whether He wrote them or told Moses to write them. The Bible never uses the Greek word "dogma" to refer to the Law of Moses, but rather the handwriting of ordinances that was against us was the list of sins that we have committed that were nailed to Christ's cross so that he died in our place to pay the penalty for our sins.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likewise, Jesus did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of negating anything that he spent his ministry teaching...
That was certainly true in the Persian Restoration--the Law was simply reasserted. However, I wasn't saying that Jesus' New Covenant "negated" his ministry or moral law, nor did it negate the *purpose* of the Law of Moses.

Rather, what Jesus negated was the application of the Law in condemning all men apart from the redemption of Christ.

Again, Jesus was born under the law (Galatians 4:4) and circumcised on the 8th day (Luke 2:21), so he was a member of the Mosaic Covenant who was subject to the Law of Moses, so you insisting otherwise is contrary to the Bible.
No, Jesus declared himself "Lord of the Sabbath." He was above the Law. The Law was for sinners, and yet he was sinless. He required no resort to the Law for temporary redemption, for pacifying God in order to maintain covenant relations.

This is Bible--not your perversion of it. To say Jesus required observance of the Law is a perversion, since he was not a sinner. He only had to obey his Father for purposes beyond the need for his own redemption.

In following the rituals of the Law Jesus was acting out what sinful Jews had to do. He portrayed what he wished others to do for the sake of God's covenant with Israel. But he did not expect Israel to follow the Law beyond his own generation since he anticipated his own demise.
Jesus being Lord the Sabbath means that the Sabbath is about him, not that he was not obligated to keep the Sabbath holy as a member of the Mosaic Covenant. There is nothing that Jesus said after the cross to negate anything he taught before the cross.
Then you've missed the whole purpose of the cross. It was in the very act a negation of the covenant of Law. Israel failed to uphold their part of the agreement.

Therefore, the agreement failed. It was synonymous with the failure of the whole of humanity to obtain justification by the Law, since in the act of rejecting Christ all Israel became guilty.

Even those who did not actively oppose Jesus were found to be complicit in Jesus' rejection--even Jesus' disciples. Peter could not even avoid betrayal at Jesus' arrest.
In Matthew 28:16-20, Jesus commissioned his disciples to make disciples of all nations teaching everything that he taught them.
He had taught them that his coming was to *fulfill the Law.* That would, he clearly stated, lead to his death. And that required his introduction of a new covenant, just as he exhibited in the Lord's Communion.

You sound like an Ebionite, and not a follower of Apostolic Teaching. You are clearly pushing Rabbinic Judaism, and not Christianity. At the very least you are pushing an aberrant form of Christianity, replete with Jewish legalism.
In Galatians 4:4, it notably does not state that Jesus was born under the era of the law, but that he was born under the law.
You don't understand what Paul was saying. Paul never taught that Jesus was subject to the Law as an ordinary Israelite obeying the Law. He was divine Messiah, fulfilling the Law--not pursuing a covenant relationship with God.

He was the Son of God, and not a sinful man. Your failure to distinguish between Christ and an ordinary Israeli is telling. They had different purposes for following the Law.
Most of the Mosaic Law has nothing to do with sacrifices and most of the types of sacrifices have nothing to do with sin....
What are you talking about? The entire Law had to do with human sin! It was a covenant designed to pacify God so that He could continue to have good relations with a nation!

All of the feasts and holy days had to do with this. You clearly don't understand how the letter of Hebrews explains it. Virtually everything under the Law was sanctioned by blood. That had to do with representing the violence of sin, or the death that results from it.
I didn't say that Jesus was a sinner, but that he embodied the Mosaic Law by living in sinless obedience to it.
It makes no sense to say that Jesus is subject to a Law that was designed to redeem sinners from the consequences of sin.
If all of Jerusalem had accepted the Gospel message, then the 2nd temple would not have been destroyed and sacrifices would still be being offered.
The point was that God had expected that all of Jerusalem would unveil human sin at its worst, when a nation's sin had fully matured. At any rate, it was never God's purpose to perpetuate animal sacrifices once Jesus had died.
Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Mosaic Law...
We follow Christ, and not the Law of Moses. At the Transfiguration Peter, James, and John were told not to look to Moses, but to Christ. The Apostle John wrote that the Law came by Moses, but grace and truth by Christ.

Jesus did not come to show us how to live by the Law perfectly, nor to even tell us to live by the Law. He did that with Israel for only the short time of his earthly ministry.

Rather, Jesus came to fulfill the failure that the Law was designed to exemplify, by giving us a way apart from the Law. He died outside of the camp where sinners could apply for his redemption (Heb 13).
In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God, so obedience to God is part of the way to receive the Spirit, however, Galatians 3:1-2 denies that "works of the law" are part of the way to receive the Spirit, therefore that phrase does not refer to obedience to the Mosaic Law.
What does that even mean? Yes, we receive the Spirit by obeying God's words in our hearts. But that doesn't mean we obey God's words as if they are requiring us to obey Moses' Law!

There are many things God's word to our conscience tells us to do or not do that has nothing whatsoever to do with Moses' Law! Anything not of His love is forbidden to us. We do this without any reference to Moses' Law whatsoever!
In Romans 3:27-31, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, so works of the law are of works while our faith upholds the Mosaic Law..
That's absurd. We are *never* told that our faith upholds the Law! Our faith is in Christ who himself fulfilled the Law. The Law is *only* fulfilled by Christ. Our faith is *only* in him.
Again, according Titus 2:14, becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross.
So you say, and yet it is completely untrue. We don't obey Moses. To follow Jesus is to bypass the Law of Moses entirely since by that system all efforts at self-justification were destroyed.

We obey Christ because only he justified us. That is, Moses' system was based on self-justification because it was carried out by sinners who could never justify themselves--not even in their obedience and faith. It was required that they direct their faith to Christ alone.
The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty of our sins should make us want to go and sin no more by living in obedience to the Mosaic Law...
You miss the whole purpose of the Law, which was to lead to the cross and to its nullification. This was necessary to relieve us of the inevitable condemnation of the Law.
, not consider ourselves free to do the things that God revealed to be sin through it. In Romans 8:1, there is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ, and in 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, so there is only no condemnation for those who are walking in obedience to the Mosaic Law.
Your claiming that following Christ is following his model of "obeying the Law" is heresy. You've added that because it's not found in any of the NT Scriptures. You are following Old Covenant Law!
While we do not earn our righteousness as the result of obeying the Mosaic Law because it was never given as a way of doing that, that does not mean that we are not obligated to obey it for the purposes for which it was given.
Right, since the Law was never given for purposes of self-justification it was always designed to orient Israel to Christ who would provide a way *apart from the Law.* This is what we read in Jer 31. It is a New Covenant, different from the Covenant given at Sinai.
For example, to say that God is righteous means that He is a doer of righteous works and it would be contradictory to say that God is righteous if He were not a doer of righteous works.
Nobody is saying that Christians should avoid being obedient to the word of God. But the word of God is no longer directing Israel, or us, to obey the Law of Moses.

Its purpose was completely fulfilled in the cross of Christ, and in his resurrection from the dead. Following him no longer requires following a Law that was only designed to reveal him as beyond the Law and its condemnation.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of God's laws have the same moral authority regardless of whether He wrote them or told Moses to write them. The Bible never uses the Greek word "dogma" to refer to the Law of Moses, but rather the handwriting of ordinances that was against us was the list of sins that we have committed that were nailed to Christ's cross so that he died in our place to pay the penalty for our sins.
There certainly was a reason that God wrote the Ten commandments with His finger. If they were the same, why bother?

and like I've said before not all of the laws were Moses' laws.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There certainly was a reason that God wrote the Ten commandments with His finger. If they were the same, why bother?

and like I've said before not all of the laws were Moses' laws.
In Deuteronomy 5:31-33, Moses wrote down everything that God commanded him to without departing from it, so none of the laws were his laws. Likewise, the speaks of the Law of Moses as being the Law of Gods in verses like Nehemiah 8:1-8, Ezra 7:6-12, and Luke 2:22-23. While the 10 Commandments have more prominence than God’s other laws, they do not have more moral authority.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Deuteronomy 5:31-33, Moses wrote down everything that God commanded him to without departing from it, so none of the laws were his laws. Likewise, the speaks of the Law of Moses as being the Law of Gods in verses like Nehemiah 8:1-8, Ezra 7:6-12, and Luke 2:22-23. While the 10 Commandments have more prominence than God’s other laws, they do not have more moral authority.
Oh they most certainly do.