Condoms and non catholic Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people have a right to choose birth control, or not. In the early 20th century contraception was illegal in America.

I think the RRCC needs to reconsider their stance on birth control.
If they did so I believe there would be fewer dying newborns in third world countries, like Africa, where Catholic missionaries serve and promote that teaching.
I certainly did...

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pardon...? I just woke up. Are you saying you were a missionary?

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
;)
It was called the Council of Nicea in 325 a.d. Read up on it - it's interesting. From what I understand, they moved a selection of books called the Apocryphal books to be positioned between the Old Testament and the New Testament, designating them as non-canonical. Then they were later completely removed. There were many other books, Enoch, Jasher, Jubilees, Testament of Solomon, etc. that were removed completely by the Council.

The Council of Nicea was basically the early Roman Catholic Church.

King James (The King James Bible) declared a decree in his time (early 1600's) that anybody who printed a Bible without the Apocrypha would be imprisoned. Sometime later those books were removed.
Thanks! This is very helpful!

Birth control has been around a lot longer than we think. A tbs of seeds from queen Anne's lace (NOT hemlock) is a popular method that has been used for a long time.
Queen Anne's lace can be used both for contraception and abortion so when a woman takes it, she cannot be sure whether or not she's having an abortion.

1 Corinthians 7:9
“But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.”
This verse neither condemns nor authorizes the use of contraception although one might say that Paul didn't expect couples to have 25 children. I told this to a number of catholic friends and all they say is that I'm arrogant for not thinking like one billion people.

Now, my question was "Where do non catholic Christians stand on condom usage?" and no one responded to that. I'm not trying to know who is right, I'm just trying to know what different kind of Christians abide by.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, my question was "Where do non catholic Christians stand on condom usage?" and no one responded to th not trying to know who is right, I'm just trying to know what different kind of Christians abide by.
Everyone besides Catholics are totally ok with condomns.

Reactions: Vid

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone besides Catholics are totally ok with condomns.
Well, ... that's a bit complicated to answer, really.

As far as abortion goes, my GF and I chose to abort many years ago and I regret it deeply to this very day. I'm not Catholic and I guess I'd have to say I'm against abortion mostly for the outside consequences of it. That is, not to say a person shouldn't have say about their own body, but having the seemingly simple option of abortion, as an escape hatch if the 'unplanned' happens, leads to a whole lot of other problems in the world; from immoral marketing practices to very dangerous casual activities among the youth of the world, etc., which we could easily create an entire thread upon.

Really, we're supposed to leave unplanned consequences to God. That's primarily HIS Department. We have moved far, far away from that thinking.

Condoms is an interesting concept for a Christian specifically because if you are living by the Bible, you really shouldn't be sleeping around outside of marriage anyway.(Answering Biblically here) And if you're married, what would be the point in protecting from STD's? The only purpose would be contraception among a married couple.

As far as that goes, I believe God put very specific consequences to all actions/activities for a very specific reason. If you think about it, if there was absolutely no way to abort a pregnancy, or any means of contraception, people would be a lot less willing to dive into such an endeavor knowing there are some pretty serious consequences. And sensual activities, simply for the sake of sensuality, are actually condemned by God. Sex outside of marriage is undoubtedly a sensual activity.

Sensuality is the modern word for Lasciviousness, often used in the KJV.

Here's what Got Questions has to say about Sensuality:

"In the Bible, sensuality is usually listed with other evils that include sexual promiscuity and perversion. Also known as “lewdness” or “debauchery,” sensuality can be defined as “devotion to gratifying bodily appetites; free indulgence in carnal pleasures.” The word sensuality comes from the root word sense, which pertains to our five senses. The Greek word most often translated as “sensuality” means “outrageous conduct, shocking to public decency; wanton violence.” Sensuality is a total devotion to the gratification of the senses, to the exclusion of soul and spirit. ...

Sensuality has no place in the life of a child of God (1 Peter 4:3). Romans 8:4 says that Christians “do not walk according to flesh but according to Spirit.” First John 2:15–16 warns us against loving “the things of this world,” which include the “lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.” Those things summarize the heart of sensuality. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23). That “cross” symbolizes death to our old sin nature. No one carried a cross who expected to come back alive. Jesus was saying that, in order to follow Him, we must allow Him to kill that old sin nature, which includes sensuality. We cannot please both Jesus and our flesh (Romans 8:8). Jesus is going in the opposite direction of our flesh. So before we can truly follow Christ, we must be willing to die to our old nature, which includes sensuality (1 Peter 2:24; Romans 6:2, 11)."

What does the Bible say about sensuality? | GotQuestions.org

Taodeching

Apr 8, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, my question was "Where do non catholic Christians stand on condom usage?" and no one responded to that. I'm not trying to know who is right, I'm just trying to know what different kind of Christians abide by.

If I didn't respond right I am sorry. I agree with the Catholic Church.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would therefore like to know where non catholic Christians stand on the usage of condoms.
Condoms fall into a group of contraceptives known as the "Barrier" method. They keep egg & sperm from ever coming together, in the first place (when they work as intended).
Not a sin, but there are three related concerns:
  1. Other forms of contraception (like IUDs) are intentionally abortifacient. That is, they kill a successful conception by denying it implantation onto her womb.
  2. Hormonal contraception (like the Pill & implants) are unintentionally abortifacient. Their design is to trick her ovaries into thinking she is already pregnant so they don't release more eggs. If an egg is released (and fertilized), anyway, her womb ejects it in the same fashion as #1.
  3. Barrier methods (like condoms) work before conception, not after (so they are not abortifacient). Their main downside is that the longer a woman delays her first pregnancy, she increases her risk for getting breast cancer.

Last edited:

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The concept itself actually did exist and is actually mentioned in the book of Enoch, I believe. Yeah, I know people get all itchy if you mention a book that's not official canon, but if you're interested, it's worth checking out.

It does imply that it's a sin to use the equivalent of contraception so I guess God doesn't want us enjoying such activity simply for the sheer pleasure of the high. (My guess)

It describes the fallen angels teaching man how to make certain liquid concoctions that block the possibility of conception.

I'll find the exact chapter and verse for those who dare to consider the source.

(For the record, Enoch is referenced in the Bible; multiple times, I believe. That makes it worthy of study to me.)
The book of Enoch is not mentioned in the Bible at all, contrary to what people claim. People get "itchy" when someone tries to quote it as an authoritative source because it contradicts the Bible at least a half dozen ways, and Christ said the inspired writings don't contradict each other(Jhn 10:35). The book of Enoch has absolutely no scriptural authority to determine whether the use of contraceptives is a sin or not. As it stands, there is no clear or implied prohibition against contraceptives in the canonized writings. Those writings are the only ones that carry doctrinal authority for a Christian.
"Overpopulated earth" is another myth from the makers of "sustainable development" (which means absolutely nothing).

Take Saudi Arabia as an example. What is the total population? about 35 million. What is the area in square km? 2.15 million sq km. Since 1 sq km = 247 acres, that is over 531 million acres of land. Which means every person could have 15 acres of land. City dwellers need a tiny fraction of that. Can deserts be converted into arable land? Absolutely. Israel has done it. All Palestinians could live on the Arabian Peninsula and thrive in luxury, if all those billions of dollars had gone towards giving them a viable homeland on this peninsula. They would not need a measly Gaza Strip or West Bank.
The idea that the planet is overpopulated is not a myth. The number of human beings that live on it are increasing, and the amount of land that can be used for farming is decreasing due to farmers not allowing the land to rest every 7 years like God commanded as well as abusing the land with pesticides and fertilizers to increase production. You fail to understand this, which is why you believe throwing money at the problem could solve it in the long term like Democrats do. It's as shortsighted as it is illogical.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you all for your responses.
According to Catholic Church, you're supposed to have sex ONLY if you want to conceive.
Not true. The unitive element of sex is important, and separating the unitive from the pro-creative can damage marriages. This is evident in the skyrocketing divorce rates since the contraceptive mentality took over our culture. At the same time, the Church does not expect couples to be irresponsible in the number of children they can afford.
The Enrichment of Marriage through NFP Versus Contraception, Argumentative Essay Final Draft (1) (1)
Contraception Increases Rates of Divorce, Suicide, and Sexual Dysfunction - Catholic Stand
I think that whenever the church sticks it's nose into a couple's private life, they are abusing it's authority.
Defending the family as an institution from the assaults from the culture of death has nothing to do with "sticking it's nose into a couple's private life". Contraception and abortion are twin evils of the same root. The contraceptive mentality is a threat to the human race because the family is the foundation of civilization. So there is more to it than a couples private life. Couples and children suffer in divorces. That is what the Church opposes.

The world doesn't want a moral authority and that is the main reason why anti-Catholicism is so rampant.

Last edited:

Vid

May 12, 2021
France
stephanepautrot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
France
I always find it so interesting that virgins who value humility so much think so highly of themselves that they think they can give lectures on sex, a part of human life they know nothing about.

And I also find it so interesting how people who are supposed to stand for the Truth (Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life, remember?) can be liars: contrary to what the title of this article suggests, it doesn't say that "Contraception Increases Rates of Divorce, Suicide, and Sexual Dysfunction" but that the pill does. Nothing is said about condoms which are obviously harmless in those respects plus it is common knowledge that a unhappy sexual life is linked to a high divorce rate.

And how can be people be so indoctrinated that they are convinced it is not ok for a married couple to use a condom once in a while but is not too much to have sex three times a day for years as long as you are married and do use any contraception ?

Contraception and abortion are twin evils of the same root
And condoms are so much more dangerous than prejudice, lie and coercion, right?

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I always find it so interesting that virgins who value humility so much think so highly of themselves that they think they can give lectures on sex, a part of human life they know nothing about.
The citations listed at the bottom of the article are not exclusively from virgins. Most of them are from research papers, not "virgins".
And I also find it so interesting how people who are supposed to stand for the Truth (Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life, remember?) can be liars: contrary to what the title of this article suggests, it doesn't say that "Contraception Increases Rates of Divorce, Suicide, and Sexual Dysfunction" but that the pill does. Nothing is said about condoms which are obviously harmless in those respects plus it is common knowledge that a unhappy sexual life is linked to a high divorce rate.
And how can be people be so indoctrinated that they are convinced it is not ok for a married couple to use a condom once in a while but is not too much to have sex three times a day for years as long as you are married and do use any contraception ?
There is a clear correlation between the contraceptive mentality and high divorce rates since 1960.
And condoms are so much more dangerous than prejudice, lie and coercion, right?
What about the children of divorced parents?

MORE CONDOMS, PLEASE
Here we go again. More bad news about sexually transmitted diseases is followed by more calls for more condoms. They just don’t get it.

One in four—26 percent—of adult New Yorkers have genital herpes (compared to 19 percent nationwide). And who is being hit the hardest? Homosexuals, blacks and women. Look for some politically correct dope to blame straight white guys.

The New York City Health Department’s answer, of course, is not to counsel restraint. That would be judgmental. So their considered judgment is to hawk another round of condoms. Yeah, that will work—just like it has all along.
More Condoms, Please – Catholic League

DO CONDOMS INCREASE STDS?
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s office yesterday released the annual Mayor’s Management Report. It shows that the Health Department gave away 39,070,000 male condoms to community groups in fiscal year 2008, which ended June 30. News story are reporting that this figure is more than double the rate from the previous fiscal year.

What is not being discussed by the media, however, is what the data show regarding the incidence of syphilis: while the distribution of condoms increased by 120 percent in one year, the number of syphilis cases increased by 20 percent.

If condoms are the answer to STDs, then syphilis cases should have declined markedly. The fact that syphilis cases spiked should prove sobering. But, alas, New York City has learned absolutely nothing: next year it plans to distribute 51.6 million condoms. Watch for the rate of STDs to increase as well.

Do condoms increase STDs? It would be difficult to prove that they do, though it is entirely possible that the promiscuous distribution of condoms by government agencies fosters a climate of complacency, one ill-suited to inducing the virtue of self-restraint. One thing is for sure: condom distribution does not curb STDs. Indeed, Mayor Bloomberg is perpetuating a dangerous hoax on young people by ratcheting up condom distribution—even when it is crystal clear that this policy is backfiring.
Do Condoms Increase STDs? – Catholic League

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The book of Enoch has absolutely no scriptural authority to determine whether the use of contraceptives is a sin or not. As it stands, there is no clear or implied prohibition against contraceptives in the canonized writings. Those writings are the only ones that carry doctrinal authority for a Christian.
There is a wide variety of views, among those who may in theory have a similar doctrinal outlook.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Little girls do not grow up dreaming of hopping from bed to bed and contraception. They dream of a man who will sweep them off their feet and love them forever, and of having his many children. A cynicism born of the sexual revolution has brought emptiness to the hearts, wombs and lives of far too many modern women. This emptiness and pain can be avoided or redeemed and healed by the love of Christ and adherence to His teachings. The Catholic Church believes in such dreams because God wrote them on the human heart. And there are men who long for such a woman to love and cherish.

Real lovers want to give without reserve in God's own superabundance creating more hearts and lives to love. Contraception is like kissing through a screen door and real love cannot tolerate obstacles. Contraception breeds selfishness and separation that drives a wedge between husband and wife that kills love. Real lovers want their love to explode into the posterity of future generations for all eternity. This is the kind of passion and fulfillment God wants for His children. Contraception limits what should be boundless. It spits in the face of this glorious passion and love's true abandon; and that is why it is a sin. It seeks to "tame" love, thus killing it. The Catholic Church is the last bastion on earth of true romance. The modern world has suffocated love and made sex a thing of deadness.

ABORTION / CONTRACEPTION twin evils of the same root.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte