confession and repentance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
We have to as one said keep the slate clean

But you cant, and that is why you sin, confess, repent.....repeat.

See that?

Why does that happen?
Because "The Law is the power of sin".

What is the law?
Its not just Moses writings... Its more specific...its everything that you believe is a sin, that you are trying not to do.
So, when that is your religion, as its not CHRISTianity, then you are trying to exist in your religion that is to try to perform for God so that He'll keep you, or even take you to begin with...
As long as you do that, as long as that is your Carnal MIND of the FLESH.....then the dominion of the law will empower your sin consciousness and your flesh to sin more.
Thats a fact.

Look at this verse.
"Christ came to deliver us from the CURSE of the Law"., and most believers are living inside the curse, in their own head, trying to do this, and not do that, to try to please God, and STAY SAVED.
See that? That is RELIGION< tied to the Law, that is not Salvation.
Its a work of your FLESH. (carnal mind), to believe this way.

See that?....and that means that those people who are under that curse are trying to be good enough for God to accept and keep.
This is why they are sinning and confessing and can't stop.
Reader, you can't be good enough for God to take you to begin with, or keep you... As He can only accept you and keep you, based on Jesus, and the finished work Jesus did for you, on the Cross.

Jesus did it, and we get it. " The GIFT of Salvation".
You take Christ and GOD TAKES YOU. = forever. "ETERNAL LIFE"... "eternal Forgiveness".

The Religious but lost....or believers who are deceived.....both have in their own heart and mind a LAW, many, and they are trying to keep them to "keep fellowship with God" and "Stay saved".
And that is why the curse of the law, their own, keeps them out of the revelation knowledge of God's Grace, and in bondage to their self righteousness.
See, until you place all your Trust in Christ to get you to heaven and keep you CLEAN, forgiven, .. then you are trying to do it, and that is Bondage to Self RIGHTEOUSNESS, = you are in bondage to your own SELF Righteousness......

"self Righteousness"..= Trying to make SELF....RIGHT with God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the purpose of confession? Since God already knows our innermost thoughts, confession cannot serve to benefit God. Therefore, confession must serve to benefit us. In that case, what benefit does confession endow us? In other words, why confess?
-Confess to God and yourself: should always be done. yes, it is good to actually say “I’m sorry I lost my temper” (or whatever it maybe). It’s important to admit it: acknowledge guilt and be humble

-Confess to any wronged parties / legal authorities- again this is good. Part of us coming to justice and making reperations

-Confess to a spiritual mentor / priest / etc: sometimes done, depending on sin/denomination. Also good in helping us be supported in the repentance process.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man's first response to having sinned was to hide from God. He became aware he was naked.

When we fail to believe in our reconciliation in Jesus Christ, we also hide from God, failing to remember that we are in Christ, reconciled to God. If we choose to hide, this is to choose our flesh, and leads to more sin. If we choose our reconciliation in Christ, to believe in what Jesus did for us, to rely on His obedience, we come boldly before the throne of grace, to find timely help.

Again, as I have said with @Behold, I am not speaking of reconciliation, or salvation but rather fellowship with God. Sin prevents us from fellowship with God. Confessing that sin and repenting restores that fellowship because it shows our submission to His will, and the error of our own will.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
-Confess to God and yourself: should always be done. yes, it is good to actually say “I’m sorry I lost my temper” (or whatever it maybe). It’s important to admit it: acknowledge guilt and be humble

Confess all you need to confess, it that makes you feel better, as God has already forgiven all the Born again their sin, 2000 yrs ago.

Reactions: marks

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Confess all you need to confess, it that makes you feel better, as God has already forgiven all the Born again their sin, 2000 yrs ago.

Your understanding is immature on this subject, as you are unable to distinguish between salvation from God and fellowship with God. Just because you are married to your wife and have a certificate of marriage does not mean you have no responsibility to maintain that marriage, correct?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What is the purpose of confession? Since God already knows our innermost thoughts, confession cannot serve to benefit God. Therefore, confession must serve to benefit us. In that case, what benefit does confession endow us? In other words, why confess?

"confession" is proof not that you are humble, but that you did something wrong, and you feel GUILT.
So, by confessing it, your guilt can be RELIEVED.
The issue is if you believe that confession keeps you saved or restores fellowship to God.
If that is your belief, then this means that you dont understand Salvation.

Often the simple fix...the simple solution, for the sinning confessing failed discipleship person, is for them to be taught in 10 seconds that..

Discipleship is not Salvation.

Salvation is what GOD does, what GOD provided, and Jesus is Salvation.
Do you have Him in you? Then you are going to heaven.
Welcome to : Salvation.

Discipleship follows Salvation....its what you do, its the love you give back to God, BECAUSE HE HAS SAVED YOU and forgiven all your sin.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Your understanding is immature on this subject, as you are unable to distinguish between salvation from God and fellowship with God.

Im anything but that, David.

And your Wife is not Jesus on the Cross, or God in man as the Holy Spirit.
Your relationship to your wife, is not based on the Blood of Jesus....so, you are responsible for that fellowship issue.
So, Your analogy is a fail.

However with Salvation, GOD is responsible for supplying Salvation,(The Cross) and inherent in Salvation is eternal peace with God for all the born again, that He has provided that is everlasting.

So, you dont understand this yet.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, as I have said with @Behold, I am not speaking of reconciliation, or salvation but rather fellowship with God. Sin prevents us from fellowship with God. Confessing that sin and repenting restores that fellowship because it shows our submission to His will, and the error of our own will.
Then you feel you are only in fellowship with God if you approve of your behavior? If you deem yourself not sinning?

I wonder . . . do you truly believe that you are aware of any and all sin you commit?

Reconciliation settles our fellowship with God. We are united to Him in His Spirit, based on Jesus' righteousness.

Maturity - discipleship - affects our responsiveness to God. As we mature in His Spirit, we hide less, we are more honest, more humble. We stop thinking we can somehow improve our connection to God by "working on our behavior". But if we stop hiding that helps significantly!

Much love!

Last edited:

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is if you believe that confession keeps you saved or restores fellowship to God.

Ah... I see the confusion. There are actually two concepts being expressed in this thread. The first concept is confession as man's way of relieving his own guilt at having sinned against God. The second concept is God forgiving man as a result of confession. The two are similar only in the words they use.

I believe we can agree that once God has decided you are his then nothing will change that. However, as humans we will continue to sin so confession is still appropriate in the first sense to help us clear the air, so to speak, in our relationship with God.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I Am not talking about this kind of confession and for the purpose of this post confession is the humble acceptance of our own wrongdoing. Sometimes the hardest words to say are "I am wrong". It takes great humility to say these three words and mean it.
I know you weren't but it was just a starting point for the rest of my post. But that seems to be the only bit you picked up on.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"confession" is proof not that you are humble, but that you did something wrong, and you feel GUILT.
So, by confessing it, your guilt can be RELIEVED.
If that is your belief, then this means that you dont understand Salvation.
And in fact "confession" can become a thing of pride for someone who thinks that they're doing so - confessing - "restores relationship". They are doing what is required to continue in their relationship with God.

"Relieving one's guilt" is not something we do for ourselves!

Much love!

Reactions: Behold

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And in fact "confession" can become a thing of pride for someone who thinks that they're doing so - confessing - "restores relationship". They are doing what is required to continue in their relationship with God.
Much love!

Yes.

= "there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ, who walk not after the FLESH, but after the SPIRIT".

Paraphrase.... "who do not try to understand God and Christ and Salvation in the natural mind of the "flesh", but understand Salvation and the Grace of God by the Light of Revelation, having spiritually discerned it".

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you feel you are only in fellowship with God if you approve of your behavior? If you deem yourself not sinning?

I wonder . . . do you truly believe that you are aware of any and all sin you commit?

Reconciliation settles our fellowship with God. We are united to Him in His Spirit, based on Jesus' righteousness.

Maturity - discipleship - affects our responsiveness to God. As we mature in His Spirit, we hide less, we are more honest, more humble. We stop thinking we can somehow improve our connection to God by "working on our behavior". But if we stop hiding that helps significantly!

When The Holy Spirit convicts of sin is when we realize what we are missing out on the riches of His grace. Our response to the conviction of the Holy Ghost is to say "I am wrong".... The hardest three words to come out of your and @Behold 's mouth. It is then that the Holy Spirit can begin to sanctify you.

Have you ever been convicted of Sin that you were unaware of in your life? For example the pride of life?

Confession is the very opposite of pride as intended in this post.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im anything but that, David.

And your Wife is not Jesus on the Cross, or God in man as the Holy Spirit.
Your relationship to your wife, is not based on the Blood of Jesus....so, you are responsible for that fellowship issue.
So, Your analogy is a fail.

However with Salvation, GOD is responsible for supplying Salvation,(The Cross) and inherent in Salvation is eternal peace with God for all the born again, that He has provided that is everlasting.

So, you dont understand this yet.

Your obviously a perfect person who never sins? 1 John 1:8-10

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
confession and repentance are like the oil that lubricates our spiritual maturation. Sin in our lives interferes with our fellowship with God, confession and repentance restores that fellowship, and the humility which it takes to confess and repent Is the broken and contrite heart God loves to mold as Potter molds clay.

Scripture:
Psalm 51:17, 1 John 1:5-10, James 4:1-10

Expound please.
Are you implying...confession and repentance is an Ongoing Necessity, for a man to have a Relationship WITH God?

Thanks,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your obviously a perfect person who never sins? 1 John 1:8-10

Conjecture and accusation.
He did not say he was perfect.

1 John 1: does not apply to a Converted Person.
IF he IS Converted 1 John 1:9 would have been fulfilled.
1 John 1: 10 does not apply to a Converted Person.

1 John 1:
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
[10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

I believe it is good to be open and honest with God, to let him know everything that may be sinful which plagued you, understanding Gods grace is sufficient and Jesus with-in you is there to raise you back up. It may take time and patience. God knows I can be highly impatience with others, and to admit it to him is good, to admit my frustrations, even the sinful nature that comes back up from being dead, remain humble and continue to give God your honesty, and he will repay you, he has already forgiven you. It’s just we can quench the spirit within us when we do what is sinful indeed.

Praise God for his grace, mercy, kindness, long-suffering with us as his children, and sons and daughters of God lead by the spirit.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1: does not apply to a Converted Person.
IF he IS Converted 1 John 1:9 would have been fulfilled.
1 John 1: 10 does not apply to a Converted Person.

The first Epistle of John is addressed to His converts ("My little Children"), so you are wrong.

Expound please.
Are you implying...confession and repentance is an Ongoing Necessity, for a man to have a Relationship WITH God?

Yes. It is How progressive sanctification works. It is our response to the conviction of the Holy Spirit when he reveals the motives of the heart, on the way to Holiness.

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6

Conjecture and accusation.
He did not say he was perfect.

Do You consider yourself Holy as God is Holy? My point was a sarcastic response to his inability to answer that question when discussing the difference between imputed righteousness and holiness, and the instant sanctification when we are born again, and the progressive sanctification of a lifelong walk in Christ Jesus. Point being that he is only preaching half the Gospel of Paul when he neglects holiness.