Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Lol.....If it’s not a major point to you then why did YOU point it out???

It’s not a big deal to me....YOU are the one who first injected FAULT with SIN by quoting the KJV. YOU are the one who has failed to explain why you prefer the KJV over other versions. YOU are the one who seems to be suggesting fault means something other than sin.

I don’t have any explaining to do...YOU DO.

Please do share your three minutes of googling research.

Mary
I think I already posted this on here. Not sure.
To God everything is sin...this is how holy He is.

Maybe to US a fault is different than a sin.
A fault could be if I always forget to return phone calls.
It's not really missing the mark of attaining to God's conditions, it's just a fault.
If I purposefully tell someone I'll call back, knowing that I'm lying...this is a sin.
But to God, both are sins. One is a sin of deed and one is a sin of omission.
Lying
Not returning calls when promised.

As I said, to God everything is a sin.

My NASB has sins and sins in both James 5:15 and 16.
The YLT has sins and trespasses.
My Italian bible has sins and sins.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to click open your quote box of my quotes to find your replies within and copied and paste it here to reply.

No problem. That has happened to me twice while in this forum. It was a mistake I had made with the surrounding quotes in some way.

JIF, This is part two from yesterday re confession...
You picked interesting verses. The CC says that confession is necessary because the sin is against the entire community; just as the sinful brother was expelled from the church, so should all sinners be...but instead confession to a priest represents confession to the entire community --- which was literal in the beginning. A person had to stand up and confess to everyone. This was changed due to the problems it caused.

Well, when Paul heard of a brother having his father's wife, the whole community had heard it obviously for word to get to him. The brother was not ashamed of it nor was he in a repented mood about it. This sets a bad example in the church as well as endangering babes in Christ that may think it is not really a bad thing in the eyes of the church. So in that sense, in that assembly, excommunication is required to set the proper fellowship.

I would "think" it changed because they figured it out that was not what Paul meant for the church to do. Sins against God are to be confessed to God but public sins that the assembly is aware of requires public confessions & repentance in order to continue in fellowship for the sake of new believers in Christ.

The priest also acts in the person of Christ, IOW, with His authority.
Wouldn't these verses tend to confirm the catholic confession?

There is a BIG difference between acting FOR the person of Christ and acting IN the person of Christ. We forgive others as Christ has forgiven us.

In that reference, the verses was Paul assuring the assembly that if they had forgiven the repentant brother, he does too. He was not forgiving the brother that was forgiven by the assembly as if Paul was doing it for Christ, but assuring the assembly that had forgiven that repentant brother, that as Christ forgives, Paul has too. The assembly was concern that Paul would not condone their forgiving that repentant brother because Paul was the one that ordered them to excommunicate that unrepentant brother in the first place. Paul was assuring them that the church did not overstep their bounds when forgiving that repentant brother in letting him back into fellowship.

The problem with Catholic confession was what I had shared earlier in this thread about how a young Catholic was critical in going into emergency surgery, pleading for the priest to get there in time for forgiveness and last rites, but the priest did not come in time. Fortunately, he lived through and the priest came afterwards, assuring him that God had heard his prayers even though he was not there to hear them. This is where I see it as not good when Catholics become so dependent on confessions to the priest, they are in a state of panic in meeting their Lord & Savior at death's door for no reason at all. Many look to going to the Mass in that way too. One former co worker said he had to get to the Mass, and if Catholics looks to the Mass in receiving His one time sacrifice for sins to receive again to "cleanse" themselves from sin, then is it any wonder why many Catholics are at risk when Jesus appears as the Bridegroom?

Hebrews 10:37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. 39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Even in that chapter, Paul is rebuking what the Mass is about as if His one time sacrifice for sins has to be received again, that His blood is on par with the blood of goats and bulls that His one time sacrifice for sins needs to be made present again in order to be receive again by His people. God's wrath will judge His people unless they repent before the Bridegroom comes.

So not only does confession booths gets in the way in meeting the Lord, but so does the Mass. If Catholics continue to place their hopes on other "things" besides Jesus Christ Whom is to be our singular hope in coming to God the Father by, then those stepping stones will make them draw back.

No one can forgive FOR Christ. He does not need our help to forgive for Him. He does want us to forgive as He does as Christ as IN the manner and practice of Christ aka IN the person of Christ. If we could really forgive FOR Christ, then there would be no need for Him at that throne of grace.

So I pretty much see the stepping stones for the Catholics in coming to Christ antichrists because they are going somewhere else "instead of Christ".

Jesus is their solitary hope for all things. If they believe something else is necessary before coming to Him, then how can they not draw back when the Bridegroom comes? They need His help to see the evil of what they are doing in order to lean on Him for help as their Good Shepherd to repent.

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JIF,
I answered to the Corinthians post.
Didn't you see it?
I'll try to find it.

I found it. Thanks.

WHO is a vessel unto honor in His house?
I'd like to understand you.

May the Lord help me to share this and help you to understand this.

Not every believer's walk with the Lord will be the same at the time the Bridegroom comes. Indeed, it was prophesied that He even wonders if He will find faith in all the earth.

Luke 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? 8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

So that is what running that race is for as we labour that we may be accepted of Him when the Bridegroom comes, but good or bad, including those left behind to die, they will be present with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences. 12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

So here below is that call to depart from iniquity as it is even given out to FORMER BELIEVERS in getting ready for the coming Bridegroom.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Look at verse 20 above in how there are 2 kinds of vessels in the Lord's House; some to honor & some to dishonor. The call to depart from iniquity is how one can be received as a vessel unto honor whereas those that refuse to repent is where the vessels unto dishonor comes from that are still in His House.

Those who depart from iniquity with His help before the Bridegroom comes shall be received as vessels unto honor in His House to attend the Supper.

Those who did not depart from iniquity, even former believers, they still have His seal for why they shall be received later on as vessels unto dishonor in His House, but "excommunicated" from having fellowship with others at the Supper table in Heaven at the pre great trib rapture event.

Like the prodigal son that gave up his inheritance for wild living; although he can never have it back, he is still son. But like Esau, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth that they will need a miracle from God to get past that loss of their first inheritance and God will wipe the tears from their eyes of all those saints coming out of the great tribulation, resurrected or otherwise.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True, but the race for the high prize of our calling to be received as that vessel unto honor in His House is still on. Exposing the works of darkness so that saints can discern and depart from iniquity is His work in helping them reach their prize.

Oh good...at last..a post I can say a loud AMEN to. :)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

I found it. Thanks.

May the Lord help me to share this and help you to understand this.

Not every believer's walk with the Lord will be the same at the time the Bridegroom comes. Indeed, it was prophesied that He even wonders if He will find faith in all the earth.

Luke 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? 8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

So that is what running that race is for as we labour that we may be accepted of Him when the Bridegroom comes, but good or bad, including those left behind to die, they will be present with the Lord.

Amen to the understanding part.
But I see already my problem...I know very little about eschatology.
What are we running for? Isn't it to get to heaven?
Do we need to labour to be accepted by Him? I don't feel like I'm labouring. With joy I try to follow Him the best I can and depend on Jesus for where I fail.

What do you mean, "those left behind to die, will be present with the Lord"?

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences. 12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
So we die and go to be where we're supposed to be.
We are judged; For it is appointed for man to die once and then comes the judgement. OK. And everything for God refers to our heart condition. OK.

So here below is that call to depart from iniquity as it is even given out to FORMER BELIEVERS in getting ready for the coming Bridegroom.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Look at verse 20 above in how there are 2 kinds of vessels in the Lord's House; some to honor & some to dishonor. The call to depart from iniquity is how one can be received as a vessel unto honor whereas those that refuse to repent is where the vessels unto dishonor comes from that are still in His House.
What is a former believer? One who used to have faith and now has lost his faith and is lost again? In another thread it seemed as though you didn't believe this could happen...

If one refuses to repent, he can't be saved.
So HOW could he still be in the "house"?

Those who depart from iniquity with His help before the Bridegroom comes shall be received as vessels unto honor in His House to attend the Supper.

Those who did not depart from iniquity, even former believers, they still have His seal for why they shall be received later on as vessels unto dishonor in His House, but "excommunicated" from having fellowship with others at the Supper table in Heaven at the pre great trib rapture event.
Former believers still have His seal? This I do not agree with.
We are sealed by the Holy Spirit but only for as long as we wish to be. We can be unsealed; just as kings remanded sealed orders in those days. All it took was their word.

I also am coming to not believe in a pre-trib event. I'm beginning to believe there's no such event as the rapture.

Like the prodigal son that gave up his inheritance for wild living; although he can never have it back, he is still son. But like Esau, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth that they will need a miracle from God to get past that loss of their first inheritance and God will wipe the tears from their eyes of all those saints coming out of the great tribulation, resurrected or otherwise.
What good is being a son if there is no inheritance?
Inheritance is heaven...that is our inheritance.
You seem to be saying that in the end we will all be saved even if we abandoned God at some point in our lives and never went back to Him but the only thing those will be missing the the "Marriage Supper" but they still make it to heaven.

Is this right?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen to the understanding part.
But I see already my problem...I know very little about eschatology.

Don't let the big word and the many topics within throw you. He will supply wisdom to confirm by His words what is being presented is true and what is not true to be reproved by His words.

What are we running for? Isn't it to get to heaven?

If a believer dies, whether he runs the race or not, his spirit is with the Lord in Heaven, but the race for that high prize of our calling is for that mansion in our Father's House.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

So #1. His disciples abiding in Him will have a place in the city of God.

Luke 20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Those worthy of that first resurrection in meeting the Bridegroom in the air, will be received as vessels unto honor in His House where they will not marry any more but be like the angels that never die; thus obtaining the glory that comes with our salvation in Jesus Christ.

That being said, those left behind will not have that kind of a celestial inheritance but a glorified terrestrial one where the second death will have no power over them, but the first death, physical death still does until death and hell are put in the lake of fire at the great white throne judgment.

All those left behind will be resurrected after the great tribulation in having a glorified terrestrial body where they will not be able to sin but the coming generation from them might when Satan is released from the pit after a thousand years. That means they can get killed still as it also means they will be marrying and having children.

Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

For them to be the priests of God for raising up the generations coming in the millennium reign, they would have to be like bishops in leading by example.

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

So there is a difference between the prodigal son and the elder loyal son; the prodigal son had already given up his first inheritance for wild living, but he is still son; and will have a terrestrial inheritance because he is still son. The prodigal son will not have everything the elder loyal son has which is a place in the city of God and be like the angels that can never die. Eventually, death and hell will be done away with in the end when Satan & his angels are cast into the lake of fire with death & hell, but until that time..... that is the difference between the two inheritance.

Do we need to labour to be accepted by Him? I don't feel like I'm labouring. With joy I try to follow Him the best I can and depend on Jesus for where I fail.

Please learn from my mistake and depend on Him all the time for following Him.

What do you mean, "those left behind to die, will be present with the Lord"?

Here is the warning to the church at Thyatira in Revelation.

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Here are those souls that had died under the altar in Heaven that had not inherit the first resurrection;

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Revelation 7: 9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; 10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb. 11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God, 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen. 13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they? 14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them. 16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. 17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

So the souls of those saints are in Heaven praising God awaiting their resurrection after the great tribulation.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we die and go to be where we're supposed to be.
We are judged; For it is appointed for man to die once and then comes the judgement. OK. And everything for God refers to our heart condition. OK.

Refers to where all our faith and hopes, and confidence and trust is in; in our works or in Him? It cannot be both since I rely on Him to do good works so my focus is not on good works but on trusting Him at His word so I can rest in Him now.

What is a former believer? One who used to have faith and now has lost his faith and is lost again? In another thread it seemed as though you didn't believe this could happen...

I do not believe he can lose salvation, but if he continue to deny Him, he will be denied by Him ( 2 Timothy 2:12 ) and yet even though he believes not any more, He is faithful because He still abides in him. ( 2 Timothy 2:13 )

If one refuses to repent, he can't be saved.
So HOW could he still be in the "house"?

Because that foundation remains; it is the works on that foundation that gets burned up. Look at this promise.

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

That is in spite of his physical body being destroyed, hence physical death. Look at the purpose of excommunication by the church.

1 Corinthians 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

So when the Bridegroom excommunicate unrepentant brethren, He has given them over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh as Satan will wage war against the saints in starving them out and hunting them down to kill them during the great tribulation but their souls are still His having His seal.

Former believers still have His seal? This I do not agree with.
We are sealed by the Holy Spirit but only for as long as we wish to be. We can be unsealed; just as kings remanded sealed orders in those days. All it took was their word.

When God the Father has given the Spirit by promise in Jesus's name; it coincides with eternal life. Jesus will do His Father's will and not lose one.

John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. 39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The question is which last day will a believer find himself resurrected in? In Meeting the Bridegroom in the air or after the great tribulation in meeting the King of kings already on earth after Satan is in the pit for a thousand years?

I also am coming to not believe in a pre-trib event. I'm beginning to believe there's no such event as the rapture.

Then you overlook why Jesus is warning His disciples and the churches in Revelation to be ready in preparing themselves or else.
What good is being a son if there is no inheritance?
Inheritance is heaven...that is our inheritance.

It is our first inheritance which is a celestial one; the glory that comes with our salvation in Christ Jesus, but there is a second inheritance, a glorified terrestrial one for why you will find the prodigal son is still son although he has no first inheritance.

You seem to be saying that in the end we will all be saved even if we abandoned God at some point in our lives and never went back to Him but the only thing those will be missing the the "Marriage Supper" but they still make it to heaven.

Is this right?

All who believe in Him, including former believers are saved, but not every saved believer will be ready for the Bridegroom when He comes. Those not ready & left behind is where the vessels unto dishonor comes from that are still in His House.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm no longer in a sharing mood.
OK....Thank you. Sometimes it is best to run away from a conversation when you are unable to defend your beliefs or statements.

Mary

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK....Thank you. Sometimes it is best to run away from a conversation when you are unable to defend your beliefs or statements.

Mary
First off, I said it wasn't a big deal; you said it wasn't a big deal... So why are we discussing it? Two people discussing something that neither thinks is important... Wow!

Second, I actually gave the reason in a post.

Third... Don't really care for the tone of the conversation.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, I said it wasn't a big deal; you said it wasn't a big deal... So why are we discussing it? Two people discussing something that neither thinks is important... Wow!

Second, I actually gave the reason in a post.

Third... Don't really care for the tone of the conversation.
Silly boy.....You are the one who in post #30 PUBLICALLY corrected someone (I'm not sure who you were talking to) by saying, "James said to confess your faults (not sins)..."

YOU are the one who publically corrected someone based on what YOU believe to be true.

So please don't suggest that I am making this a big deal. YOU did by publically correcting someone. I simply asked you to articulate your belief and back it up. You ran from the conversation....Not me.

You gave a reason for what you wrote (because that what the KJV says), not what you believe. BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you would like to take this conversation serious I will ask one more time: What did James mean when he used the word fault?

Mary

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The problem with Catholic confession was what I had shared earlier in this thread about how a young Catholic was critical in going into emergency surgery, pleading for the priest to get there in time for forgiveness and last rites, but the priest did not come in time.

Any Catholic that fears that needs to learn that a desire for a thing, in God's eyes, it is as if you have done that thing (good or bad)

Pax!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Silly boy.....You are the one who in post #30 PUBLICALLY corrected someone (I'm not sure who you were talking to) by saying, "James said to confess your faults (not sins)..."
I wasn't correcting anybody. I was merely pointing out that the verse says "faults". The topic is about confessing sins. Thus I noted the slight difference. In fact, had you simply noted in other versions it says "sins", I would have said, ok... Thanks.

What your are missing iams that I used that verse to support and agree with Aspen on the topic. There was no correcting going on: it was used to support Aspen.

So please don't suggest that I am making this a big deal.

Request denied. My whole response was supportive of the OP's opinions. It never had anything to do with correcting someone. It had nothing to do with a debate of "faults vs. Sins". Furthermore... At the time I DIDN'T. have an opinion. I was not running from anything. I love a good debate and haven't run from one! Furthermore Im pretty good at it so why would I run?

If you would like to take this conversation serious I will ask one more time: What did James mean when he used the word fault?

Frankly, I don't take it seriously. I think its rediculous. It has very little to do with the original conversation. Both of us have confessed its not a big deal... But here we are still debating a non issue. Why am I still doing so? Its amusing. I find it hilarious!

Sorry, I can't take it serious! But I will appease you and answer your question:
What did James mean when he used the word fault?

Ok... I think when James used the word "fault", he meant, "fault"

I will be serious here:

Mary, the greek word used in verse 16 (fault) is different from the greek word used for "sin" in verse 15. There have been a few excellent posts on the difference between faults and sins on this thread. And when you look at the strongs definition, its clear to me that the KJV fot it right. "Faults" can be mistakes, errors, transgresions or poor character traits or sins against the Levitical law. "Sins" are not that diverse: its talking about transgressions against the Law. I don't think its that difficult to understand.

Regardless of that fact, it does not change the context of my suppoet of Aspen's views and doesn't change the bigger point James was making.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't correcting anybody. I was merely pointing out that the verse says "faults".

Ok... I think when James used the word "fault", he meant, "fault"

I will be serious here:

Mary, the greek word used in verse 16 (fault) is different from the greek word used for "sin" in verse 15. There have been a few excellent posts on the difference between faults and sins on this thread. And when you look at the strongs definition, its clear to me that the KJV fot it right. "Faults" can be mistakes, errors, transgresions or poor character traits or sins against the Levitical law. "Sins" are not that diverse: its talking about transgressions against the Law. I don't think its that difficult to understand.

Regardless of that fact, it does not change the context of my suppoet of Aspen's views and doesn't change the bigger point James was making.
Hi FHII,

FINALLY....an answer!! Thank you.:)

The BETTER Greek texts have the same word for sin (hamartia) so the NRSV, NIT, RSV, ASV all translate James 5.16 with "sins,". The KJV, which uses "fault," is using a textual tradition, not reflected in the best texts, which has paraptomata, transgressions, which should be understood in the same sense as hamaratia, "sins".

Did you know there was a time when the KJV translation interpreted paraptomata as "slips."??? Since that tradition cheapened the force of James 5.16 it was eventually rejected by bible scholars.;)

The Greek word used in verse 16 was SIN and not fault......but don’t worry sir...I’m not correcting you I am merely pointing out that the verse says sins o_Oo_O:);)

http://biblehub.com/james/5-16.htm

Mary

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The BETTER Greek texts have the same word for sin (hamartia) so the NRSV, NIT, RSV, ASV all translate James 5.16 with "sins,"
Mary, had you substituted "WORST" for better, it would have reflected the reality of the corrupted Greek texts behind the Critical Text and the modern versions you have mentioned.

Evidently you need to study this matter thoroughly and carefully. So please read and study The Revision Revised by John William Burgon before you respond to this post or talk about "better Greek texts". Burgon actually examined the Greek manuscripts of the NT personally and was very clear about how the Bible was corrupted.

Paraptoma is the correct word and hamartia is the corruption. See my eariler post on this.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FINALLY....an answer!! Thank you.:)
Well I am glad you got what you wanted, even though I gave the answer several days ago and you really didn't take notice. But as long as you are happy, I guess that is all that matters.

The BETTER Greek texts have the same word for sin (hamartia) so the NRSV, NIT, RSV, ASV all translate James 5.16 with "sins,". The KJV, which uses "fault," is using a textual tradition, not reflected in the best texts, which has paraptomata, transgressions, which should be understood in the same sense as hamaratia, "sins".
Thank you for your opinion.

The Greek word used in verse 16 was SIN and not fault..
Not according to my 1611 edition of the KJV. But feel free to spin away. Doesn't matter because like I said... I am not taking this conversation seriously.

But have a piece of celebration cake for me.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I am glad you got what you wanted, even though I gave the answer several days ago and you really didn't take notice. But as long as you are happy, I guess that is all that matters.

Thank you for your opinion.

Not according to my 1611 edition of the KJV. But feel free to spin away. Doesn't matter because like I said... I am not taking this conversation seriously.

But have a piece of celebration cake for me.
I am happy....thank you.

The cake was good....wish you could have had some but only those that interpret scripture properly get the cake.

All in fun....Mary