Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Let's go to Paul in 2 Corinthians 2:1-11. Paul has found out that the unrepentant brother mentioned about in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 for having sexual relations with his father's wife that was excommunicated by that church at Corinth has repented and the church has forgiven him and let him back into fellowship. Paul was giving assurances to that church that he commanded to excommunicate the unrepentant brother that as they have forgiven the repentant brother, so has he also.

JIF, This is part two from yesterday re confession...
You picked interesting verses. The CC says that confession is necessary because the sin is against the entire community; just as the sinful brother was expelled from the church, so should all sinners be...but instead confession to a priest represents confession to the entire community --- which was literal in the beginning. A person had to stand up and confess to everyone. This was changed due to the problems it caused.

2 Corinthians 2:10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; 11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. This had to deal with forgiving and accepting a repentant brother back into fellowship in the church. Since the whole church had to forgive him to let him back in, so Paul had to assure the church that he also forgave him since he had ordered them to excommunicate the formerly unrepentant brother, and he did so in the pattern set forth by Christ or in the manner or in the person of Christ as the example. The point of 2 Corinthians 2:11 should be clear as warned below in another reference.
The priest also acts in the person of Christ, IOW, with His authority.
Wouldn't these verses tend to confirm the catholic confession?

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

That still does not negate going to Jesus for the forgiveness of sins and for help in repentance, but the forgiveness from the body of believers should be towards those that had asked for forgiveness and had repented for coming back in after having been excommunicated from the assembly.
I had once done a little study on Mathew 6:14 but I can't remember too much of it. I remember that in some way we hinder God from forgiving persons if we don't forgive them. I don't really understand this verse too much.

I don't know of anyone who had to repent to a church in order to be allowed back into the community. But, of course, I'm not familiar with all church denominations.

But, yes, Paul is saying that if a person is repentant he should be allowed back into the church.

Paul may not be clear in 2 Corinthians 2:1-11 in regards to that incident in 1 Corinthians 5th chapter, but I believe that was what he was referring to as I am sure the church had written him in regards to that brother finally repented for why he is giving assurance that he has forgiven him also so that the next time he visits that church, Paul knows why he is still there for he has repented and forgiven by the church to return to fellowship.

Agreed. You explain very well why Paul was written to a second time.
I suppose the important factor in all of this is that only God can forgive sin.
Of course, the CC claims Apostolic succession and I DO believe they have it...
I do believe they are the original church --- I guess this causes part of my problem with confession.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"Click to expand (I can't fix it)."

wadr you are fixing it now, which is why it is broken. If you just let the software guide you instead of fighting it this will not be an issue. How are you even overriding the /QUOTE that comes with every "quote" or "reply?" You have to be doing a lot of extra work to do this wadr

but fwiw you could continue your current MO, and just add in (after you have subtracted it out i guess) a [ /QUOTE ] WITHOUT THE SPACES, AND REPLY oops after that. the first word of your reply should always be next to a /QUOTE, just like the word WITHOUT up there
i mean, go read this post lol. it is impossible to tell who is talking to whom

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
"Confession is not a bad thing. It has nothing to do with salvation..."

yikes
Calm down!
I meant to a priest.
I guess I should have said that.
Confessing sins is very important!
I don't agree with those that say confessing is not required because we're already forgiven for all our sins; past, present and future.
It's nice to at least be sorry for sinning.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

wadr you are fixing it now, which is why it is broken. If you just let the software guide you instead of fighting it this will not be an issue. How are you even overriding the /QUOTE that comes with every "quote" or "reply?" You have to be doing a lot of extra work to do this wadr
Is this right? This is how I usually work this.
It wouldn't work for that last post to JIF. I don't know why.

but fwiw you could continue your current MO, and just add in (after you have subtracted it out i guess) a [ /QUOTE ] WITHOUT THE SPACES, AND REPLY oops after that. the first word of your reply should always be next to a /QUOTE, just like the word WITHOUT up there

I'll go check...

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

It can't be fixed 100%!
I did my best.
At least now you could tell who's talking.
Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
the only way to fix it now would be to re-insert all of the quote tags for jif, and re-insert all the /QUOTES before you reply. Then it would magically resolve, but you need both the tag (to "open" the quote) and the / to close it, which is why they are both in [].
you can even just copy/paste the tag from the very top quote, which is currently the only quote in that post that has one.

for instance if you were to click "reply" to this post, you would see
[QUOTE byrd009 etc ], then the body, the the [ / ] right. So what imo is happening is, you want to "break in" to the body to reply to a snippet, right? Imo better to just go back to the post and highlight the snippet, wherein you will get a little "quote/reply" window that will do all this for you as soon as you hit "reply," but regardless you can also break in by just adding a [ /QUOTE ] where you want to break in, then replying, then inserting a copy of the quote tag from the top; then keep reading til you wanna break in again, then repeat the process. But if you just break in and start typing, you get...what we got

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Oh I am so with you there...quite a few of them do this...the ladies more than the men ..it drive me nuts because I can't understand HOW they do it!!:confused: :D

I can only guess that they somehow cut off the last bracket of [/Quote without the last ] ( bracket) after the word Quote ...........then nothing separates the quote from their post.:rolleyes:....

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James says " Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed...."
I don't believe this means that we sit and tell another our general faults and failures, I think it means toward the person we are speaking to. "keeping short accounts"
Hi BG,

Here is what the EARLY Church taught/practiced and a follow up on @aspen post #8:

In the church you shall acknowledge your transgressions, and you shall not come near for your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together and break bread and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. – Didache 4, 14 (50 A.D)

The EARLY Christians believed and practiced confesssing their sins publicly (in Church, in front of everyone). The Church slowly changed that practice to private confession over time and solidified it at the Council of Trent.....Thank God! This girl had some dirty laundry in her younger days ;).

Mary

Reactions: aspen and Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have too much of a problem with it... I may not understand the Catholic point of view totally. James said to confess your faults (not sins) one to another. Jesus talked about being reconciled with your brother if you have a problem with him.

Whether or not it is really true, the priest or pastor is part of the flock. Hopefully he isn't just advising to say 3 hail marys, give extra in the offering and do 5 summersaults. Hopefully he's going to give some advice.

My Church doesn't have a confession booth. But I can call, meet, email or even text my pastor when I have a problem. I can literally text him and say, "pastor... I messed up! Here's wjat happened..." He gets back to me pretty quick. He's a true pastor who is on the job 24/7.

Doesn't seem that different drom a confession booth. But I don't know the Catholic protocol.
Hi,

We all generally know what a “sin” is.

What is a “fault(s)”?

Mary

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Oh I am so with you there...quite a few of them do this...the ladies more than the men ..it drive me nuts because I can't understand HOW they do it!!:confused: :D

I can only guess that they somehow cut off the last bracket of [/Quote without the last ] ( bracket) after the word Quote ...........then nothing separates the quote from their post.:rolleyes:....
imo they are most likely hitting the Reply at the bottom and then breaking in to the snippet they wish to comment on w/o inserting a /, rather than just highlighting the snip and hitting that Reply. But then you have to do some work if you want to avoid having ten posts in a row, like me lol. It would be nice to quote snips and reply to them without having to hit "post" after the first one to be able to trackback to the quote for the next snip or whatever, but then nothing's perfect i guess. on long posts i am just posting the first snip to get a trackback link, and then the rest of the snips can be built in the next post w/o hitting post, then that can be copypasted into the first post. if/when i remember at least :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
imo they are most likely hitting the Reply at the bottom and then breaking in to the snippet they wish to comment on w/o inserting a /, rather than just highlighting the snip and hitting that Reply. But then you have to do some work if you want to avoid having ten posts in a row, like me lol. It would be nice to quote snips and reply to them without having to hit "post" after the first one to be able to trackback to the quote for the next snip or whatever, but then nothing's perfect i guess. on long posts i am just posting the first snip to get a trackback link, and then the rest of the snips can be built in the next post w/o hitting post, then that can be copypasted into the first post. if/when i remember at least :)

I have done that once or twice.

It also takes a bit of work.
I quote the whole post. But that means , after answering the first point I have to add a [/Quote] And then write my part.

And also before wanting their next bit quoted I have to add the [Quote.. ]
before and the [/Quote..] at the end or I end up writing within their quote.
I guess we all have to do whatever is easiest for us. :)

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know me

I quote the whole post. But that means , after answering the first point I have to add a
And then write my part.

before and the [/Quote..] after or I end up writing within their quote.
I guess we all have to do whatever is easiest for us. :)[/QUOTE]
Have some coca cola

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi,

We all generally know what a “sin” is.

What is a “fault(s)”?

Mary

Good question! I will be "watching this space" for the answer.
I bet they end up being one and the same in the Greek.
We will see.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I quote the whole post. But that means , after answering the first point I have to add a
And then write my part.

Good morning @"ByGrace" !
I screw up on his forum so much it's embarrassing! I apologize for any wackado posts I send. I'm now just open notepad and go paragraph by paragraph.

Hope all is well!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

And then write my part.

ya, if you are wanting to reply to snips, highlighting them is the way to go imo. You just gotta deal with making like ten posts in a row then lol.

i'll just leave the "mistake" there so ppl can see what /QUOTE does

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ya, if you are wanting to reply to snips, highlighting them is the way to go imo. You just gotta deal with making like ten posts in a row then lol.

i'll just leave the "mistake" there so ppl can see what / does

Good one. :)

But the other thing I do is to quote them bit by bit.
Which works easily if who you are quoting is a post or three at the most above. But if it's back on another pages , all bets are off for me.

But a person can highlight a snippet and hit quote.
Then INSERT it...and answer it...then move the curser down a bit ..go back and highlight and quote the next snippet...and do likewise...that way I guess is the safest way.