Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faults” παραπτώματα, A side-slip (lapse or deviation), i.e., (unintentional) error or (wilful) transgression faults. I would see this word as meaning sins.

Reactions: Marymog and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
faults” παραπτώματα, A side-slip (lapse or deviation), i.e., (unintentional) error or (wilful) transgression faults. I would see this word as meaning sins.

So Fran was right then...meaning the same......missing the mark = sin.

Reactions: Nancy and Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have an opinion on what he meant.
LOL...that (no opinion) would be a first.

You are of the opinion that James said "fault". MOST translations of that verse use the word "sin".

Do you have an educated point of view on why the version (KJV?) you chose says fault and not sin??

Curious Mary

Reactions: bbyrd009

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...that (no opinion) would be a first
Well no. Its not a first and it won't be the last. Yes, I have a lot of opinions on a wide range of topics. This one I didn't. I'm simply pointing out what it (yes the KJV) says.

You are of the opinion that James said "fault"
Not really an opinion. Thats what the bible says. Yes. The KJV. Thus its not an opinion since I noted a reference.

MOST translations of that verse use the word "sin".

Ok, that's fine. I'd have to go back and reread what I wrote, but it really isn't a major point. At least not to me.

Do you have an educated point of view on why the version (KJV?) you chose says fault and not sin??

Well I didn't. But since its becoming a big deal and all, I have since conducted a major reseach inquiry on it. And after 3 minutes of intense googling I have come to a conclusion as to why the KJV says "faults" and not "sins".

So I will be happy to compare notes with you. You did research too, right?

Why is this such a big deal to you, by the way? Sure, I brought it up... But it wasn't a major point.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have too much of a problem with it... I may not understand the Catholic point of view totally. James said to confess your faults (not sins) one to another. Jesus talked about being reconciled with your brother if you have a problem with him.

Whether or not it is really true, the priest or pastor is part of the flock. Hopefully he isn't just advising to say 3 hail marys, give extra in the offering and do 5 summersaults. Hopefully he's going to give some advice.

My Church doesn't have a confession booth. But I can call, meet, email or even text my pastor when I have a problem. I can literally text him and say, "pastor... I messed up! Here's wjat happened..." He gets back to me pretty quick. He's a true pastor who is on the job 24/7.

Doesn't seem that different drom a confession booth. But I don't know the Catholic protocol.

Here's my initial post. I just wanted to bring it up to the present. Its my opinion that James 5:16 saying faults or sins isn't really an important part of my reply other than I mentioned that "faults" is the word used in the Bible I read (which happens to be the KJV).

Reactions: Helen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha!! Cheater...and there I was with bated breath waiting for a deep revelation. :D

Bless you...H
Well I had no initial deep revelation. That comment I made wasn't really a big deal. "Fault", "sin".... Ok. Whatever. But there is a difference between fault and sin. Most pertinent faults are sins. Not all.. But most.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I had no initial deep revelation. That comment I made wasn't really a big deal. "Fault", "sin".... Ok. Whatever. But there is a difference between fault and sin. Most pertinent faults are sins. Not all.. But most.

That is interesting...in all my time I have never thought of that.
Neither have I ever heard anyone expound upon it!! I wish someone would explain the difference.

BTW, where is your friend @101G these days? I haven't seen him for ages.
Maybe he has snuck off to another forum and not told us where :D

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 5:15-16 KJV
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
[16] Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The word in greek is different. So there is a difference between faults and sins. They will overlap. But they are not the same.

Frankly, we cannot confess our sins to neither our brethren nor God. We don't have time and we don't know all the times we sinned. If you are 20 years old.... It would probably take you 20 years to confess all your sins.

What we can do is tell God we knoq qe are a sinner. Hod already knows all our sins and he is a better accountant than we are. And a better judge. But I can say... "Damn Lord... Its pretty bad and I need you!" thats a bit more truthful .than trying to admit every lie, piece of candy I stole or whatever .....

And if you want a revelation here it is: you don't know enough or have time enough to confess all you sins to God. You can spend 70 years doing so, and God's going to remember something you forgot (unless he's viewing you with grace).
So how are you going to confess your sins to the brthren? Perhaps you can't even list all your faults (and truat me... They will remind you of a few you don't know of)!

Whether you want to see James 5:16 as sins or faults makes no difference to me. You have more of both than you know. But understand the greater point.

And the greater point is having peace with the breatren. We already have peace with God through Jesus
That is most important. But Jesus wants more... He wants his brothers and bride to have pieace.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well no. Its not a first and it won't be the last. Yes, I have a lot of opinions on a wide range of topics. This one I didn't. I'm simply pointing out what it (yes the KJV) says.

Not really an opinion. Thats what the bible says. Yes. The KJV. Thus its not an opinion since I noted a reference.

Ok, that's fine. I'd have to go back and reread what I wrote, but it really isn't a major point. At least not to me.

Well I didn't. But since its becoming a big deal and all, I have since conducted a major reseach inquiry on it. And after 3 minutes of intense googling I have come to a conclusion as to why the KJV says "faults" and not "sins".

Why is this such a big deal to you, by the way? Sure, I brought it up... But it wasn't a major point.

"I have since conducted a major research inquiry on it. And after 3 minutes of intense googling I have come to a conclusion as to why the KJV says "faults" and not "sins".

Funny :D

Reactions: FHII

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
[16] Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The word in greek is different. So there is a difference between faults and sins. They will overlap. But they are not the same.

Frankly, we cannot confess our sins to neither our brethren nor God. We don't have time and we don't know all the times we sinned. If you are 20 years old.... It would probably take you 20 years to confess all your sins.

What we can do is tell God we knoq qe are a sinner. Hod already knows all our sins and he is a better accountant than we are. And a better judge. But I can say... "Damn Lord... Its pretty bad and I need you!" thats a bit more truthful .than trying to admit every lie, piece of candy I stole or whatever .....

And if you want a revelation here it is: you don't know enough or have time enough to confess all you sins to God. You can spend 70 years doing so, and God's going to remember something you forgot (unless he's viewing you with grace).
So how are you going to confess your sins to the brthren? Perhaps you can't even list all your faults (and truat me... They will remind you of a few you don't know of)!

Whether you want to see James 5:16 as sins or faults makes no difference to me. You have more of both than you know. But understand the greater point.

And the greater point is having peace with the breatren. We already have peace with God through Jesus
That is most important. But Jesus wants more... He wants his brothers and bride to have pieace.

LOVE IT!! I must say I never even realised that we can never ever "confess ALL our sins"...

Not that I have ever tried, I don;t even believe it means that when people get born again.
I have heard pastors and people say " Now confess your sin to God and you will be saved...rubbish...never in 54 years have I believed that! :rolleyes:

You bring out some god points...thank you Fred. :)

Reactions: FHII

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Thats a good post.

For those that dont know i would point out that the sacrament of reconcilliation absolves you of all sins.. Those that the Holy Spirit has brought to your concience and all those you arent aware of or dont remember...

It makes your wedding garment once more clean that you be able to approach and receive our Most Holy Husband !!

Peace!

Reactions: aspen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed.
But no one is perfect here!

True, but the race for the high prize of our calling to be received as that vessel unto honor in His House is still on. Exposing the works of darkness so that saints can discern and depart from iniquity is His work in helping them reach their prize.

Will continue on Corinthians tomorrow.
For now it's Good Night.

Okay. God be willing. James 4:13-17

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
True, but the race for the high prize of our calling to be received as that vessel unto honor in His House is still on. Exposing the works of darkness so that saints can discern and depart from iniquity is His work in helping them reach their prize.

JIF,
I answered to the Corinthians post.
Didn't you see it?
I'll try to find it.

WHO is a vessel unto honor in His house?
I'd like to understand you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Re James...yes...
Man proposes and God disposes.
Nothing happens without God's consent.

I did find my answer to you...
See page 15
Post no. 218

(click to expand it - this might be why you missed it. Sorry)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lol.....If it’s not a major point to you then why did YOU point it out???

It’s not a big deal to me....YOU are the one who first injected FAULT with SIN by quoting the KJV. YOU are the one who has failed to explain why you prefer the KJV over other versions. YOU are the one who seems to be suggesting fault means something other than sin.

I don’t have any explaining to do...YOU DO.

Please do share your three minutes of googling research.

Mary