Contradiction Or Paradox?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You asked for it, you got it Toyota!

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.

GE 1:26 Man is to have dominion over fish, birds, cattle, and all wild animals, yet--
GE 2:15-17 It is wrong to be able to tell good from evil, right from wrong.

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.

GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience as well as with the fact that God allegedly does not change his mind: NU 23:19-20, 1SA 15:29, JA 1:17.)

GE 2:4, 4:26, 12:8, 22:14-16, 26:25 God was already known as "the Lord" (Yahweh) much earlier than the time of Moses.
EX 6:2-3 God was first known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) at the time of the Egyptian Bondage, during the life of Moses.

GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

GE 4:4-5 God prefers Abel's offering and has no regard for Cain's.
2CH 19:7, AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.

GE 4:9 God asks Cain where his brother Able is.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from his view.
Hmm, maybe you’re the one who is off with some of these. But I realize there’s no point in my saying this to you. Just couldn’t resist.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol Just homework for those that want to look into it.
Right, like we all have time to look them all up. BUT others have studied these seeming contradictions and offer explanations.

We've been over this before, and it hasn't make any difference to you when explanations have been offered. There are plenty of atheist websites offering longer lists than you posted. Of course, they have a reason for wanting to disparage the Bible.

Why would a Christian want to do this???

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Grailhunter,

There is a reconciliation for every one of the apparent contradictions that you have brought up; and if you brought them up more slowly I would be able to show that. But because of the overwhelming nature of your posts, I am content to simply say as a blanket statement, by faith, that there is a reconciliation for every apparent contradiction that you have presented.

I would also bring up what it says in the following verses:

Jde 1:12, These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
Jde 1:13, Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
Jde 1:14, And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jde 1:15, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Jde 1:16, These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.
Jde 1:17, But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contradictions in the Bible?
Resource Preview
on January 1, 2010
Featured in Answers Magazine

“How can you believe a book that’s full of contradictions?” If you actively witness for Christ, it won’t take long before you hear these words. Are you prepared to give an answer?

Many scoffers reject the Bible’s authority because they say it contradicts itself.

Latest Answers
Perhaps you’ve heard one of their pat claims: “The Bible says the sun moves around the earth,” “The Bible calls a bat a bird,” and so on.

You know the Bible is true in every detail based on Christ’s own words (John 17:17), but are you prepared to give answers when someone hammers you with alleged contradictions? Now a new book written by Answers in Genesis speakers and researchers offers Christians help. Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions gives brief, easy-to-understand answers to more than 40 supposed contradictions that skeptics commonly claim in their attacks.

Many alleged contradictions take verses out of context. For example, the Bible refers to sunrise and sunset, so some critics claim that it teaches that the sun goes around the earth. But clearly the Bible is using the language of appearance—describing a phenomenon as it appears from a human perspective. We do the same thing almost every day. After all, even scientists refer to “sunrise” and “sunset,” although they know that the sun is not actually moving around the earth.

Skeptics also frequently quote a flawed translation when claiming a contradiction. For example, in Leviticus 11:13–19, we find words like these in our English translations: “And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle . . . and the bat.” The translation process is not infallible, so we must consider what the original Hebrew author intended. The Hebrew word translated bird—owph—actually means “fowl or a winged creature.” Of course bats are winged creatures.

God’s Word is perfect and cannot contradict itself. But our enemy the devil wants people to doubt or dismiss God’s Word on any flimsy basis, so he constantly attacks its validity. The new 148-page book Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions will equip you to stand firm and help others see the emptiness of these challenges to the Bible’s authority.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know of any contradicts?
No. Every "contradiction" that has ever been presented to me on the King James Bible, or that I read which seemingly on the surface appeared to be, have all been reconciled without contradiction to those sources.

Now, in other modern version like NIV, there are actual contradictions, which were inserted by the translation committees hoping to clarify a spot they didn't understand. Examples upon request.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Volume 1
Exploring Forty Alleged Contradictions, Volume 1
Contributor Steve Fazekas, Bodie Hodge, Dr. Jason Lisle, Stacia McKeever, Roger Patterson, Dr. Georgia Purdom, Paul F. Taylor, John UpChurch, and Gary Vaterlaus; Edited by Ken Ham

More in this series
Do you have concerns about Bible passages that have bothered you for years?
This book is based on many of the most-asked questions about supposed Bible contradictions and errors. Most of the topics are drawn from questions submitted via our extremely popular website.

Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions is an exciting, lay-friendly resource designed to give quick yet thorough answers to questions about more than 40 of the most common supposed mistakes in the Bible. Edited by Ken Ham and co-written by ten leading apologetics speakers and authors, a few of the dozens of supposed contradictions include:

• In the Old Testament, God wipes out entire cities and unleashes great suffering. Yet the Bible teaches that God is all-loving.
  • God warned Adam not to eat the forbidden fruit or he would die. But when Adam disobeyed and ate, he lived a full life.
  • Scripture claims that pi equals 3. Any high-school math student knows that’s not true.
  • A prostitute is praised for lying in James 2, yet the Ten Commandments forbid it.
Excellent for both adults and teens.

The contributors include:
  • Ken Ham
  • Dr. Jason Lisle
  • Bodie Hodge
  • Dr. Georgia Purdom
  • Gary Vaterlaus
  • Stacia McKeever
  • Roger Patterson
  • Paul F. Taylor
  • John Upchurch
  • Steve Fazekas

Source: Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Volume 1

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you do not want to know the answer do not ask someone that has degrees in theology.
No one needs any degrees in theology to answer any or all of what you have posted. They only need the KJB, the Holy Ghost, and the ability to read and consider carefully.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a debate thread. I can't keep it from becoming one, of course, but let the record show that it was never my purpose for starting it.

I believe that most disagreements stem from either a refusal or lack of recognition that the solution involves accepting that God has the power to claim things which, if originating from humans, would be considered talking out of both sides of one's mouth.

For instance:

***And indeed, there must be differences among you to show which of you are approved. (1 Corinthians 11:19

***Ephesians 4
11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

I have chosen a mild example to start. But I have no doubt that the question of unity versus division could be debated at length on this forum. In this example, it seems to be that division is a temporarily necessary reality, but that unity should be the ultimate goal of the church.

I personally find the presence of paradox in Scripture quite fascinating.

Does anyone else have any examples of passages that seem to contradict each other, but are actually both quite true?

For myself, I look for harmony between passages and pretty much find it. I don't see the "talking out of both sides" myself.

I think apparant contradiction shows we need greater understanding. The level of understanding we currently have, I think, will determine how much we feel we see in the way of contradictions.

I have chosen a mild example to start. But I have no doubt that the question of unity versus division could be debated at length on this forum. In this example, it seems to be that division is a temporarily necessary reality, but that unity should be the ultimate goal of the church.

In this case, I see those that aren't approved as not sharing the same doctrine which unifies us.

We need to know what everyone here teaches, so we can now who is in agreement with Scritpure and who is not, so that those who are may reach that unity without the interferance of those who are not.

That's my take anyway!

Much love!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MT 24:9 Even some of the disciples of Jesus will be killed.
JN 8:51 If anyone keeps Jesus' words, he will never see death.
When Jesus says they will never see "death", it refers to the second death, which a Christian will never experience.

Rev_2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
Rev_20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.​

It is not saying anything about the first death, which is sleep (meaning the person is not completely gone (oblivion), for God can still resurrect them).

Joh_11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Joh_11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Mat 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,

Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.​

So, same in connection with Abraham,

Mat_22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Luk_20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.​

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue.

Joh_15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

However, moreso, looking at the text [John 5:18], this word for “broken” is ελυενG3089 V-IAI-3S [Grk. Trans. = eleun] and, generally meaning 'loosed' [as in, 'untied', 'unbound', 'set free'], can be seen in other passages, like:

loose, 15
Mat_16:19, Mat_18:18, Mar_11:2 (2), Mar_11:4, Luk_13:15, Luk_19:30-31 (2), Luk_19:33, Joh_11:44, Act_24:25-26 (2), Rev_5:2, Rev_5:5, Rev_9:14

loosed, 10
Mat_16:19, Mat_18:18, Mar_7:35, Luk_13:16, Act_2:24, Act_22:30, 1Co_7:27, Rev_9:15, Rev_20:3, Rev_20:7

broken, 7
Joh_5:18, Joh_7:23, Joh_10:35, Act_13:43, Act_27:41, Act_27:44, Eph_2:14

unloose, 3
Mar_1:7, Luk_3:16, Joh_1:27

destroy, 2
Joh_2:19, 1Jo_3:8

dissolved, 2
2Pe_3:11-12 (2)

loosing, 2
Mar_11:5, Luk_19:33

break, 1
Mat_5:19

melt, 1
2Pe_3:10

off, 1
Act_7:33

put, 1
Act_7:33 (2)​

Therefore did Jesus “destroy” the Sabbath? No. He clearly defends His position from Scripture upholding the Sabbath.

Did Jesus “dissolve” the Sabbath? Again, No, otherwise why defend His actions from Scripture about the appropriateness of what was permissible in/on the Sabbath?

Did Jesus actually “break” the Sabbath? No, for that would have been sin [1 John 3:4, etc], and would have been contrary to Jesus' own mission as stated in Prophecy [Isaiah 42:21], in which He would “magnify” the Law and make it “honourable”, not dishonourable or lessened.

Therefore, what does this word “broken” mean in the context of the Pharisaical understanding? Jesus ignored their man-made traditions which placed heavy “burdens” upon Sabbath, which God never gave:

Mat_23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.​

Jesus therefore indeed “broke” the Sabbath free of these horrendous selfish regulations which the Pharisees, etc had burdened it with, but never ever would break the Sabbath as commanded to all men [the Sabbath commandment even speaks of Gentiles and beasts of the earth, and nowhere does it say “Jew” in the Commandment, Exodus 20:8-11]. In effect, what Jesus did was give rest back to the people on Sabbath. :) He loosed their restrictions, untied those toilsome knots, and set it free to be obeyed in righteousness. Notice Isaiah 58, even contexually in regards the Sabbath:

Isa_58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Mat_11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mat_11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Exo_33:14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.​
ditto

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Volume 1
Exploring Forty Alleged Contradictions, Volume 1
Contributor Steve Fazekas, Bodie Hodge, Dr. Jason Lisle, Stacia McKeever, Roger Patterson, Dr. Georgia Purdom, Paul F. Taylor, John UpChurch, and Gary Vaterlaus; Edited by Ken Ham

• Format: Softcover
  • Dimensions: 6" x 9"
  • Length: 172 pages
  • Technicality: Layman
  • Ages: Teens – Adults
  • Publisher: Answers in Genesis, Master Books
  • Published: 2010
  • SKU: 10-2-386
  • ISBN: 9780890516003
Do you have concerns about Bible passages that have bothered you for years? This book is based on many of the most-asked questions about supposed Bible contradictions and errors.

Jump to Full Description
Better Together

More in this series
Do you have concerns about Bible passages that have bothered you for years?
This book is based on many of the most-asked questions about supposed Bible contradictions and errors. Most of the topics are drawn from questions submitted via our extremely popular website.

Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions is an exciting, lay-friendly resource designed to give quick yet thorough answers to questions about more than 40 of the most common supposed mistakes in the Bible. Edited by Ken Ham and co-written by ten leading apologetics speakers and authors, a few of the dozens of supposed contradictions include:

• In the Old Testament, God wipes out entire cities and unleashes great suffering. Yet the Bible teaches that God is all-loving.
  • God warned Adam not to eat the forbidden fruit or he would die. But when Adam disobeyed and ate, he lived a full life.
  • Scripture claims that pi equals 3. Any high-school math student knows that’s not true.
  • A prostitute is praised for lying in James 2, yet the Ten Commandments forbid it.
Excellent for both adults and teens.

The contributors include:
  • Ken Ham
  • Dr. Jason Lisle
  • Bodie Hodge
  • Dr. Georgia Purdom
  • Gary Vaterlaus
  • Stacia McKeever
  • Roger Patterson
  • Paul F. Taylor
  • John Upchurch
  • Steve Fazekas
Table of contents
  • Foreword— Ken Ham
  • Introduction—Dr. Jason Lisle
Genesis
  • Meat of the Matter—Bodie Hodge
  • Time of Death—Bodie Hodge
  • Underneath a Solid Sky—Gary Vaterlaus
  • Full of Meaning—Stacia McKeever
  • My Three Sons—Bodie Hodge
  • Location, Location, Location—Bodie Hodge
  • The Order of Nations—Gary Vaterlaus
  • A Lot of Relatonships—Roger Patterson
  • Left in the Dust—Gary Vaterlaus
  • Two Creation Accounts?—Paul F. Taylor
  • By the Light of the Moon—John Upchurch
Exodus - Deuteronomy
  • A Time to Kill—Roger Patterson
  • Bats of a Feather—Bodie Hodge
  • Two Missing Legs—Bodie Hodge
  • Dead Man Writing—Roger Patterson
  • Too Close for Comfort—Gary Vaterlaus
  • Face to Face—Bodie Hodge
  • Change of Heart—Stacia McKeever
Joshua - Malachi
  • Slaughter at Jericho—Steve Fazekas
  • Cut in Half—Roger Patterson
  • A Man of Many Wives—Roger Patterson
  • Two Ages at Once—Bodie Hodge & Stacia McKeever
  • Get Out of Jail Twice—Bodie Hodge
  • Mixed Prophets—Paul F. Taylor
  • As Easy as Pi—Dr. Jason Lisle
Matthew - John
  • Problems with Basic Math?—Bodie Hodge
  • Seeds of Dissent—Stacia McKeever
  • Against the Law—Roger Patterson
  • Counting Offspring—Stacia McKeever
  • A Staff or Not?—Stacia McKeever
  • What's in a Father's Name?—Bodie Hodge
  • Greater Than or Equal To—Paul F. Taylor & Bodie Hodge
  • Crossed Messages—Dr. Georgia Purdom
  • An Extra Cainan?—Paul F. Taylor
  • Three Days and Nights—Paul F. Taylor
Acts - Revelation
  • A Righteous Lie?—Bodie Hodge
  • How Did Judas Die?—Dr. Georgia Purdom
  • The Unforgivable Sin—Bodie Hodge
  • The Firstborn Creator—Bodie Hodg
  • Accounts Payable—Roger Patterson
  • Conclusion—Bodie Hodge
  • Appendix: Regarding a Righteous Lie—Bodie Hodge
Source: Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Volume 1

There ya go...homework.
This is some of the things that you run into when you are at college for theology and biblical studies.
Some of the explanations are good and some are klondike. Some attempt to reinterpret or re translate the scripures.
How anyone address this, be sure to know that as far as the OT, the Jews have been discussing this for centuries. It is not a new discovery. In fact it is one of the reason why the Jews were compelled to write the Talmud and other early Jewish writings. In a lot of ways these writings are like the Christian amplified Bibles. The same is true for Christians and from different perspectives.

Either way, to take up the apologist challenge in detail, will lead to a better understanding of the Bible and biblical history.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like Jesus touched the Leper.
Where was the law that such a priest (as Jesus was, after the order of Melchizedek), could not do so? The priests of the Levitical were to examine closely the cases of Lepers, and to search them all over. The priests were the ones that were to come close to the Lepers (Lev 13, &c).

Mat_8:3 And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
Mar_1:41 And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
Luk_5:13 And he put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will: be thou clean. And immediately the leprosy departed from him.​

Jesus, acting as the priest would, and even as Deity, seeing through and through, in matter of the plague of sin, pronounces the man "clean". The touch at the same time, reinforces the words spoken.

This is why Jesus told the man to go shew himself to the priests afterward.

So there is no contradiction.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya go...homework.
This is some of the things that you run into when you are at college for theology and biblical studies.
Some of the explanations are good and some are klondike. Some attempt to reinterpret or re translate the scripures.
How anyone address this, be sure to know that as far as the OT, the Jews have been discussing this for centuries. It is not a new discovery. In fact it is one of the reason why the Jews were compelled to write the Talmud and other early Jewish writings. In a lot of ways these writings are like the Christian amplified Bibles. The same is true for Christians and from different perspectives.

Either way, to take up the apologist challenge in detail, will lead to a better understanding of the Bible and biblical history.
You have a masters degree in theology, right? Why don't YOU offer some explanations for your list of "contradictions"? My degree is in psychology. Not useful at all when it comes to this topic. :(

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2KI 24:8 Jehoiachin (Jehoiakim) was eighteen years old when he began to reign.
2CH 36:9 He was eight.
(Note: This discrepancy has been "corrected" in some versions.)
No contradiction, just a matter of understanding words:

Taken from "Age of the Earth" (my own personal study) - https://archive.org/download/age-of-the-earth/Age of the Earth.pdf

What about Daniel 1:1-2; 2 Kings 24:1,6 and the age of Jehoiachin?

The 13th year of Josiah (AM 3599) unto the 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 25:1, 46:2; AM 3617 - Jehoiakim + 4 (Jer 25:1) = AM 3621) is 23 years (Jer 25:3), inclusive reckoning (AM 3586 - Josiah + 13 (Jer 25:3) = AM 3599; thus AM 3599 (1) + 22 = 23 years; Jer 25:3; AM 3621))

AM 3586 - Josiah - AM 3617 (13th year is AM 3599)

AM 3617 - Jehoahaz - AM 3617

AM 3617 - Jehoiakim - AM 3628 (4th year is AM 3621, is 23 years inclusive (Jer 25:3), 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar; Jer 25:1, 46:2; Jehoiakim is 36 years old when taken captive (2 Chr 36:6) in AM 3628)

AM 3628 - Jehoaichin - AM 3628/9 (is the 8th year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign (2 Chr 24:12, 36:9-10; 2 Ki 24:8; Jer 24:1, 29:2; Eze 17:12))

AM 3629 - Zedekiah - AM 3640 (9th year is AM 3638, is the 17th year of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 39:1, 52:5), thus AM 3621 – AM 3638 = 17 years)

Jehoiachin was 18 years old (2 Ki 24:8; AM 3628) when he began to reign, which makes Jehoiakim, his father, 36 years old at that time. This places Jehoiachin's birth 18 years previous in AM 3610, which makes Jehoiakim, his father, 18 years old at that time.

The 1st year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (2 Chr 24:12, 36:9-10 (lit. 'a son of 8 years, under Nebuchadnezzar's reign'); 2 Ki 24:8 (Jehoiachin was 18 years of age in the 8th year of Nebuchadnezar's reign; literally a "son of eight years" or "eight years old" under Nebuchadnezzar's reign, not actually 8 years in age, but in relation to the new King (see also 1 Samuel 13:1, literally "a son of one year"), meaning in subjection to the King of Kings Nebuchadnezzar)) Jer 24:1, 29:2; Eze 17:12; AM 3629) is the 8th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar.

The 5th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (Eze 1:2; AM 3634) is in the 30th year, 4th month, 5th day (Eze 1:1; 30 years prior = AM 3604, middle of Josiah's reign AM 3586 - AM 3617, or the 18th year of Josiah's reign to be precise, the finding of the Law, the restoration of the Temple, and his covenant to God, see 2 Ki 22:3, 23:23; 2 Chr 34:8,31, 35:1-19).

The 9th year (10th month, 10th day) (Jer 52:4; AM 3638) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 17th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, who at that time besieged the city of Jerusalem (Jer 39:1, 52:5), for two years ((9th) 80 + (10th) 360 + (11th) 99 = circa 539 days (30 day months)), unto the 11th year (4th month; 9th day) (Jer 39:2, 52:5-7).

The 10th year (AM 3639) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 18th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 32:1), 832 persons of Jerusalem were carried captive to Babylon (Jer 52:29).

The 11th year (AM 3640) of the reign of Zedekiah is the 19th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (2 Ki 25:2-8), (5th month, 10th day) (Jer 52:12), in which Zedekiah is blinded (2 Ki 25:7; Jer 39:7, 52:10-11; Eze 12:13) and taken captive.

In the 23rd year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar (Jer 52:30; AM 3644), more persons, 745 Jews, are carried away captive to Babylon, all together 4,600 persons captive.

The 1st year of Evilmerodach was the 37th year of the captivity of Jehoiachin (Eze 1:2; AM 3634 (5th) + 32 = AM 3666), in the 12th month, 25th day (Jer 52:31; issued the orders to have him come “out of prison”), 27th day (2 Ki 25:27; orders actually carried out, and he comes out of prison, “did lift up the head … out of prison”), and Zedekiah was 21 years old when Jehoiachin was taken captive (2 Ki 24:18), which would make Zedekiah 58 years old in the first year of Evilmerodach if he was even still alive.

2 Kings 23:34 And Pharaohnechoh made Eliakim the son of Josiah king in the room of Josiah his father, and turned his name to Jehoiakim, and took Jehoahaz away: and he came to Egypt, and died there.

2 Kings 23:36 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign; and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Zebudah, the daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah.

2 Chronicles 36:4 And the king of Egypt made Eliakim his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem, and turned his name to Jehoiakim. And Necho took Jehoahaz his brother, and carried him to Egypt.

2 Chronicles 36:5 Jehoiakim was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD his God.

2 Chronicles 36:6 Against him came up Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and bound him in fetters, to carry him to Babylon.

2 Kings 24:1 In his days Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came up, and Jehoiakim became his servant three years: then he turned and rebelled against him.

2 Kings 24:6 So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

2 Kings 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 36:8 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and his abominations which he did, and that which was found in him, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah: and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead.

2 Chronicles 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

Daniel 1:1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.

Daniel 1:2 And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.

Jeremiah 25:1 The word that came to Jeremiah concerning all the people of Judah in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, that was the first year of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon;

Jeremiah 25:3 From the thirteenth year of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, even unto this day, that is the three and twentieth year, the word of the LORD hath come unto me, and I have spoken unto you, rising early and speaking; but ye have not hearkened.

Jeremiah 46:2 Against Egypt, against the army of Pharaohnecho king of Egypt, which was by the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote in the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah.

Jeremiah 52:28 This is the people whom Nebuchadrezzar carried away captive: in the seventh year three thousand Jews and three and twenty:​

AM 3617 is the beginning of Jehoiakim's Judaic reign, and if we add 4 years, unto the 4th year of his Judaic reign, AM 3617 + 4 = AM 3620/1 (4th year Jehoiakim, 1st year Nebuchadnezzar), which historically becomes the 1st year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign in Babylon.

The Bible says that Nebuchadnezzar, “in the seventh year” (Jer 52:28) he took captives, 3023 Jews. If we consider the context of Jeremiah 52:28-30, this would mean then, that it is the 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, being AM 3627/8, placing it right at the time of Jehoiakim's captivity.

Jehoiakim, serves Nebuchadnezzar for “three years” (2 Ki 24:1), which is what Daniel refers to (Dan 1:1) as the “the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah”. In other words, it was the 3rd year of Jehoiakim's reign being subjected to the greater earthly King of Kings (Dan 2:37), not the third year of Jehoiakim's Judaic reign, but instead Jehoiakim's 9th year of Judaic reign. Jehoiakim after serving Babylon three years (AM 3624/5 - AM 3627), he rebelled, and so Nebuchadnezzar has to come and “besiege” Jerusalem, and in the following months/year, we come to AM 3628, in which Jehoiakim is taken captive (Dan 1:2), deposed and his son Jehoiachin is placed upon the throne in his stead (2 Ki 24:6; 2 Chr 36:8).

AM 3628 – 4 = AM 3624, when Jehoiakim began to serve King Nebuchadnezzar, in which from AM 3624/5 – AM 3627, Jehoiakim, served “three years” (2 Ki 24:1). In this 3rd year (AM 3627) of subjection, Jehoiakim decides to no longer be subject to Nebuchadnezzar, and so rebels (Dan 1:1), and in the 4th year of being subject, or the 11th year of his Judaic reign (AM 3628), he is taken captive by Nebuchadnezzar (Dan 1:2) and eventually dies (2 Ki 24:6).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a masters degree in theology, right? Why don't YOU offer some explanations for your list of "contradictions"? My degree is in psychology. Not useful at all when it comes to this topic. :(

Not my first rodeo...I have been through this....
If you can imagine the students in college shifting to apologist mode after being confronted with this.
There are various explanations for some of these but, even in that depending on the beliefs of others, no matter what people are not going to like some of the explanations.
The explanations themselves end up being personel. In other words they have to resolve the contradictions to their own satisfaction. Anyone that tries to offer explanations will just get ridiculed.

As Rechoired said, No one needs any degrees in theology to answer any or all of what you have posted. They only need the KJB, the Holy Ghost, and the ability to read and consider carefully. Apparently he does not think that over the last 2000 years and 30,000 denominations that they have come to a consensus on this, because they did not consult with or were not filled with the Holy Spirit. He is the only one filled with the Holy Spirit, and thus his interpretation is the only correct one...and he is not alone.

Depending how deep you dig into this topic, it get complicated real quick. And I can tell you where it leads....Faith dependent on human concepts of perfection.

Last edited: