Cook off

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay Dave L

If Jesus cannot use his godly abilities unless we have faith in him to use those abilities, then is God incapable of something? Doesn't the general believer rant about how God can do anything, and nothing is impossible for him?

The fact that God can do anything doesn't oblige Him to do everything. There are very many things that He presumably could do but doesn't - and He doesn't explain all His choices to us, either.

Reactions: farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here it is mentioned that Jesus (Who is the almighty) couldn't seem to release his power due to a faith mix up.

Mark 6:5 5He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them.

I've always questioned this verse, that I can't understand how Jesus power was prevented working in this way. It is a recurring theme in the new testament, that Jesus needed faith from other's for his power to actually work.
That verse relates directly to this one in the OT:

"Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel." Psalm 78:41

How can people limit almighty God? By using the authority given to them by God to block Him. What authority have men been given?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Gen 1:26

The dominion is ours but when we disobeyed God that first time we began moving in our own ways without His direction and we went farther and farther off course. Jesus did not put us back on course, but He made it a real possibility. The way to do it is to surrender the reins to ourselves which were included in verse 1:26 of Genesis. If we don't surrender God is limited because His Word is binding on Him. He will not stop us from doing wrong.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That verse relates directly to this one in the OT:

"Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel." Psalm 78:41

How can people limit almighty God? By using the authority given to them by God to block Him. What authority have men been given?

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Gen 1:26

The dominion is ours but when we disobeyed God that first time we began moving in our own ways without His direction and we went farther and farther off course. Jesus did not put us back on course, but He made it a real possibility. The way to do it is to surrender the reins to ourselves which were included in verse 1:26 of Genesis. If we don't surrender God is limited because His Word is binding on Him. He will not stop us from doing wrong.
For the love of science, can we just stick to things that are relevant.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the love of science, can we just stick to things that are relevant.
To me it is relevant! You don't see the connection to your question... even if you disagree with the conclusion?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think I care for formalities,
I would guess that you don't but is it serving you a good purpose?
God is here to free us from from this crap.
Our freedom comes when they shovel the dirt over our faces at the end of our course. Whether or not we will recognize it after that final event is quite another question.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I would guess that you don't but is it serving you a good purpose?

Our freedom comes when they shovel the dirt over our faces at the end of our course. Whether or not we will recognize it after that final event is quite another question.
If this universe is full of flaws, how do you perceive the next system will be in your favour?

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Belief is not going to tell me anything about the effectiveness of any cancer medication. Belief is blind, and therefore can not give me any surety that I'm making the right decision by taking the pills or not.

Your move stranger.
You still falsely believe that faith is something you, or others, mustered up via free will. After this erroneous assertion you build your straw man.

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The fact that God can do anything doesn't oblige Him to do everything. There are very many things that He presumably could do but doesn't - and He doesn't explain all His choices to us, either.
Indeed. God is God. (Despite the best efforts of professedly religious people to prove the contrary....)

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I suspect that an awful lot of so-called "faith healing" (the kind that happens at "healing services") is psychosomatic. There are a few cases that are genuine (I've come across one or two), but they get far less publicity.
Do you have any evidence for the real faith healing?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have any evidence for the real faith healing?

About 30 years ago, when I was a member of a charismatic church, I remember a young woman (who had been deaf in one ear) showing us the audiogram that documented her healing.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
About 30 years ago, when I was a member of a charismatic church, I remember a young woman (who had been deaf in one ear) showing us the audiogram that documented her healing.
And you don't think there's any possible way that her ear self corrected itself?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you don't think there's any possible way that her ear self corrected itself?

This is rich. The atheist/agnostic ask for proof and evidence. Then when it is given, they reject it. It could be something else. If a doctor prescribes pills and surgery or whatever, and the person is healed, the atheist recognizes the person was healed by the profession of the doctors, and science.

But, if a believer prays and is healed, the prayer of faith did not heal him. God did not heal him. Something else must have.

The unbeliever does not care if there is evidence. There will never be enough evidence. They simply don't want God and use evidence and proof as a way to prop up their unbelief.

(2 Cor. 2:16)

Stranger