Critical Thinking

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you been punished for thinking critically? i just saw an article that discussed the depression found in educated people and a possible link between being trained to think critically and living in a society designed to value physical labor over critical thought.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Critical thinking requires our ability to be metacognitive - thinking about our thinking. Can you step back and evaluate your own thoughts and ideas?

Can you see past your opinions and perceptions in order to gain perspective or are your opinions part of your identity?

In my opinion, the ability to think critically about our beliefs and ideas is incredibly important today because there is so much information flooding our minds.......much of it is propaganda used to support the beliefs of our group/tribe.

Can you evaluate information that seems to support your beliefs? QAnon comes to mind.....
It seems to support positive beliefs about Trump - can you evaluate it from a neutral position?
Is it important to do so?

IMO our tribe, Christianity, wants us to accept the teachings of our specific brand (denomination) without question. This mentality makes it difficult for us to evaluted secular information that seems to support our beliefs - ‘Trump is anti-abortion so he must be the right guy’ - ‘i did the right thing by voting for Trump so he must be the right guy no matter what’ therefore, ‘any criticism of Trump is a personal attack on my group and on me’. This is a dangerous mindset. It allow us to turn off our minds and i believe it can lead to disastrous results for our country and our spirituality. The devil operates in the shadows of our minds....conspiracy theories, propaganda, identity with opinion....

1. Do you value critical thinking?
2. Are you able to evaluate information that seems to support your worldview?
3. Is faith the same as doubling down on your ideas about God? Or, is faith allowing events to unfold, with the hope that God will make everything right?

To the OP . . .

Hi Aspen,

Yes, I value critical thinking a great deal!

I think what you've mentioned is well worth considering, this idea of being able to evaluate information and conclusions on their own merit. We need to understand the myriad of logical fallacies that crop up all the time, distracting discourse away from the matter at hand.

This thread provides such a perfect example. The message to love others is rejected on the basis that not all love completely.

But if you reason this through critically for just a moment, they are non-sequitor.

The Government is funded by taxes, though not all pay taxes. But that doesn't mean the government is not funded by taxes.

Love fulfills all the law and the prophets, though not all love. But that doesn't mean that love doesn't fulfill the law and the prophets.

People can become so easily distracted by side issues that don't actually effect or address the matter at hand. Being on Christian Debate Forums for so many years has certainly proven that to me.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: aspen and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you been punished for thinking critically? i just saw an article that discussed the depression found in educated people and a possible link between being trained to think critically and living in a society designed to value physical labor over critical thought.

I wonder how many people in the world in general even know what critical thinking is.

I certainly see a growing tide of resistance against reason. People jump on their bandwagons, take up their slogans, and join the groupthink, without considering whether this is a viable position.

It seems to me that the powers the be don't want critical reasoning.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How timely.....yet another example of anti-intellectualism in our culture provided by a feller who is dumb as the dirt on the ground
I wonder how many people in the world in general even know what critical thinking is.

I certainly see a growing tide of resistance against reason. People jump on their bandwagons, take up their slogans, and join the groupthink, without considering whether this is a viable position.

It seems to me that the powers the be don't want critical reasoning.

Much love!
Mark
Sometimes they actually get angry when reason is presented or demanded from them - as if it hurts to

Reactions: Nancy