Crucified with Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Matthew 16:24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Could we deduce from the above scripture the following...
  • One supreme condition of not only discipleship, but salvation?
  • It is truly a matter of life and death...on an eternal scale?
  • It is a matter of choice whether we take up that cross, or not?
  • Taking up that cross means death...with a resurrection.
  • Not doing so also means death...without the resurrection.
When Jesus spoke these words it was begore He had revealed anything of His impending fate to the disciples. Thus the cross He was referencing was in context of that cross His hearers were familiar with. A cross reserved only for the worst, the most vile of criminals. A cross of shame, aversion, and something to be abhorred and detested.
When Jesus went to the cross, it was because God had made Him "sin for us". (2Cor.5:21) He died as the chief of criminals, the representative of all mankind, the all inclusive sinner. As the sinner's substitute, His death was just. It is the same sin that is in me. It never changes, and the cross along with the death it inflicts upon whoever it bears, is the only remedy.
When Paul said "God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Gal.6:14) he was not referring to the glorified emblem of God's matchless love for mankind. When he said "we preach Christ crucified" (1Cor.1:23) he was referring to the cross as an instrument of horror, and a death which was fully justified, and was glorying in that. The very same cross that Jesus says we must take up if we are to (save our lives) live, and follow Him.
"Whosoever will save his life (from the death of the cross) shall lose it; and whosoever will lose his life (through the cross) for My sake, shall find it."

The only way for a man to save his life, is to go to the cross and lose it. You refuse the cross, you forfeit life. Seems to me that is our choice...to take up, or to let lie.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 16:24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Following after Christ is not just about salvation....it is about ruling with Him in the next age. Jesus' followers argued over who would be seated next to Him....not that they were just saved.

But the standard for following Christ is very high. Too high for most people. One should NEVER seek to follow Christ with a personal agenda...or else one may end up as Judas. One should not seek to follow Christ to save one's own life. There are no selfish motives permitted. One follows Christ to die with Him so that one can also live with Him.
Taking up that cross means death...with a resurrection.

We are to carry His death so that we might have His life right now....and bear the fruit of holiness unto glory.
Not doing so also means death...without the resurrection.

All will be resurrected. The house of God will be divided into those who are vessels of honour and those who are vessels of shame and dishonour.

"God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ"
Paul was not referring to what Jesus did on the cross in this instance but in the power that caused him to be separated from the world unto the living God. So he was glorying in the effects of the power of the cross on his present life.
The only way for a man to save his life, is to go to the cross and lose it. You refuse the cross, you forfeit life. Seems to me that is our choice...to take up, or to let lie.

For those who would follow Christ...yes. If one is going to play a game...one needs to abide by the rules.

But most people who say they are Christian are not Christ followers. They are in it for the benefits of the cross of Christ...the free stuff. It is better for them then to say...I am not a Christian...but just looking for God's mercy. That would be more honest...and more beneficial. An honest person's righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees. But today's church is filled with Pharisees..who look for the benefits of a follower of Christ....but who are unwilling to pay the price for it.

Did I mention that people are mostly only looking for the free stuff? it is far better to claim to NOT be a follower of Christ with that attitude...since the judgment against that is severe indeed.

Who is wise?

Reactions: faithfulness