CYCLING

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I too ride, being doing it for over 20 years , but only last year got myself a decent Specialized hybird bike, Certainly dont ride the distances you do, dont have time during the week, but try get out saturdays , sunday is swimming when I am able, after those 100 km + rides one need to recoup a little. Aiming to get a proper road bike, the one I currently have is usually lugging camera gear too. Makes it heavy.
Do you commute to work? I do...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nah live on central coast work in sydney, did get a commuter scooter to scoot home saves me 20 minutes, still get ecercise.

Reactions: FHII

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@FHII So how far you ride... That scooter is only from the station home, trips hr on the train.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FHII So how far you ride... That scooter is only from the station home, trips hr on the train.
I average about 100 to 125 miles a week. Depends how much I work. Commuting means I carry a big back pack. Every once in a while I get to ride loosed from that. Pure joy! 15 to 20 lbs lighter!

Reactions: Invisibilis

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I average about 100 to 125 miles a week. Depends how much I work. Commuting means I carry a big back pack. Every once in a while I get to ride loosed from that. Pure joy! 15 to 20 lbs lighter!
Nice, thats why im aiming for a proper road bike, no side bags just for the longer run. Longest ride is a mere 132Km though im aiming for the 200k when I can, mind you I also swim 2 ks when i do, need to quiet time with the Lord no distractions except the occasional lights and cars

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I started with a hybrid (half road bike and half mountain bike for those not knowing). I worked hard for a year to lose weight and ride fast enough to keep up with the local boys on road bikes. They were not impressed, especially when I started to ride away from them.

Then I rebuilt a second hand vintage road bike (1/3 carbon, 1/3 steel, 1/3 alloy). The speed jumped up by 3-4 kph. Because of this jump in speed, I had to find other guys to ride with who rode faster than I could. If I only found guys at my own speed then I would just settle into that group's speed and no longer go faster.

Most riders settle into a speed and finding hard to go faster without proper training to do so. So, they look for an alternative, they get a lighter bike. I was one of these guys too, until I learnt how to train to go faster. Now my old roadies who are still stuck into their original settled into speed are just doing 3-4 kph faster, and nothing more. Now that e-bikes are around, many of these same guys are buying them, and going through the same cycle (pun not intended).

However, two roadies I know quite well, one is in mid-60's and the other just turned 73, train hard on heavy mountain bikes through the hilly areas around here. Then they turn up to our weekend rides on their road bikes, and blast everybody off the road (speed wise).

Change of bike makes for small changes in speed. Training to go faster makes for large changes in speed (for those normally coming from a mountain or hybrid bike).

Also, if you are looking to ride with less weight, so you can go faster, it costs about a thousand dollars per kilogram lost. I find it is cheaper to lose that weight off your body, if you have a few kilograms to spare.

Reactions: mjrhealth and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Change of bike makes for small changes in speed. Training to go faster makes for large changes in speed (for those normally coming from a mountain or hybrid bike).

Also, if you are looking to ride with less weight, so you can go faster, it costs about a thousand dollars per kilogram lost. I find it is cheaper to lose that weight off
Love these last two points! I am 152 lbs on average and trying to get to 150. I have a Trek 1.1 which (if I remember correctly) weighed 24.5 lbs. To lighten it up would be expensive.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So since I have a few cyclists here... Here's some humor they may enjoy, especially if they are married.

I commute, so I actually sold my car. I still have one, but let my wife use it.

Even though my car was paid off, I saved $30 a week in gas, $20 a month in insurance, and lots in repair (cause it was an old car).

My wife has a car. She uses $40 of gas a week and $180 a month in insurance and we average $20 a month for maitenence. A car wash, while rare is $20. Our car payment is $380 per month.

Now, twice a year the bike needs maitenence. A new chain, always a new cassette. Cables, brake pads, tires... I need a new front derailer too, and a new chain ring.

But my point is, about twice a year there's about $300 of maitenence cost.

And my wife blows a gasket over that when she's spending over $800 a month to have a car!

Reactions: mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So since I have a few cyclists here... Here's some humor they may enjoy, especially if they are married.

I commute, so I actually sold my car. I still have one, but let my wife use it.

Even though my car was paid off, I saved $30 a week in gas, $20 a month in insurance, and lots in repair (cause it was an old car).

My wife has a car. She uses $40 of gas a week and $180 a month in insurance and we average $20 a month for maitenence. A car wash, while rare is $20. Our car payment is $380 per month.

Now, twice a year the bike needs maitenence. A new chain, always a new cassette. Cables, brake pads, tires... I need a new front derailer too, and a new chain ring.

But my point is, about twice a year there's about $300 of maitenence cost.

And my wife blows a gasket over that when she's spending over $800 a month to have a car!
Havnt owned a car in over 25 years, walk, ride, bus everywhere, except when my sons car is available to take nan to shops grandaughter to pool.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My ride at Terrigal beach, We have lots of brekkies together,

Attachments

• bike terrigal.jpg
    bike terrigal.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 0

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Love these last two points! I am 152 lbs on average and trying to get to 150. I have a Trek 1.1 which (if I remember correctly) weighed 24.5 lbs. To lighten it up would be expensive.
You must be a skinny guy. Went from 220 pounds now at 209, which is 100kilos down to 95, pretty happy where i am but would like 94 kilos, was 190 pounds when i left the navy good many years ago. Mind you could be my scales docs seem to make me look better, even the scales in his surgery are different i asked the nurse. Loosing even what I have has made the difference, swimming helps a lot as does cycling help swimming

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You must be a skinny guy. Went from 220 pounds now at 209, which is 100kilos down to 95, pretty happy where i am but would like 94 kilos, was 190 pounds when i left the navy good many years ago. Mind you could be my scales docs seem to make me look better, even the scales in his surgery are different i asked the nurse. Loosing even what I have has made the difference, swimming helps a lot as does cycling help swimming
I am at a stage where I am getting stronger and muscular on the legs. My body fat is decreasing, but my weight is the same.
Some say that muscle weighs more than fat.

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
CYCLING STORY
Last December I entered into my second pre-season race (C Grade). It's my first race on this hilly circuit, and got dropped on the first hill. However, though I dug in deep and was not able to close the 200yd gap to the bunch . I came last in the race.

After the race we were having refreshments at the cafe. One person, Bruce, asked what happened to me. I explained, and said: "Don't worry. One day I'll catch you and beat you to the line". Bruce replied: "There is no why you could ever beat me on this circuit, your body is not suited for this hilly course". I thought he was just teasing me, but I soon found out that he was very serious. He called the race commissaire for a witness to his statement. Well, he threw down his gauntlet, and I accepted.

Next race was a graded handicap, on a flat circuit. Half way through the race, there was just Bruce and I left in our grade. Bruce was stalling the handicap and trying to make me do most of the work by leading. Though I pulled reasonably hard up front, I only took short turns. Time was running out for us to catch the slower guys. I soon had to break away from Bruce and time-trial it to the finish. After my turn up front, I got behind Bruce, and had a quick drink. Throughout the race I learnt Bruce's body language as to when he wants me to take the lead. While watching him, I drifted back several bike lengths. As soon as I saw the tell-tale sign, I accelerated as fast as I could towards his back wheel, in his draft. On the last moment I flicked around him at 45 kph. It took him by surprise. I could hear 'click' 'click' click' of his gear changes - a big mistake. He put himself into such a big gear, he had no chance of winding out his bike to catch me.

Though I did not catch the winner, I finished second place overall, and first in C grade. Beat Bruce by over a minute.

The next race, was last Sunday, on that hilly course. It was raining, and it had been raining for a few days now. Not many riders turned up for the race. Only three riders for C grade. Bruce was one of them. It was another graded handicap race. However, as soon as our third rider broke away on the second hill, it was just Bruce and me left. It was no longer an handicap race between us. Now it was a race of tactics to see who beats who.

I learnt from the last race that Bruce likes others to do most of the work. So I decided to play his game. I never let Bruce get behind me. He knew I was faster than him on the flats. So all he could do was try and drop me up the hills. He gave two attempts in doing this, but I was able to stay with him, but I felt I was about to have a heart attack on each attempt.

The finish line is at the bottom of a long sloping hill. At the top of this hill, Bruce almost came to a stop. We stalled for three minutes, to see who would go for the final dash. I was able to stall better than Bruce, so he was slowly opening the gap between us. Just before I was about to launch an attack, a D grade rider passed me in a sprint to the line. Bruce took this opportunity to jump in front of him, and sprint also. As I accelerated towards them, the D grader was falling back. So I passed him and now it was just Bruce and I. Bruce kept looking back. I knew if I got on his wheel he would flick around to get on my wheel _ in the hope I would lead him to the finish. So I kept a gap between us, to drive him on. At 200 yds to go I sprinted passed to the line.

On the way back to the car park, Bruce rode up and said: "You did very well." I thought that was very gentlemanly from him. Though the commissaire knew we did poorly for a handicap race, he also knew it was a personal race between ourselves. We sat around having refreshments and nobody said a word about it, which was good to witness.

Over the next month of racing weekends, Bruce and I will be setting up the traffic control signs. This will give us a chance to know each other better, and hopefully develop a good friendship.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it's because she does not ride a bike, and has no reason to pay for it maintenance.
Well, that's a pretty cold thought on my marriage! LOL! She may soon get into riding... I'm working on it. But what she doesn't understand is bike parts aren't car parts. Tires are only good for maybe 2500 to 3000 miles. Chains, cassettes and brake pads about the same. Cables a bit longer. My derailers and chain ring are all about shot, but they've had a good run. I'd have to check my maitenence records, but they all have never been replaced and it's been at least 6 years (which is at least 30,000 miles).

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm training for a Sprint triathlon in July, so I've started swimming (started back in August after not doing any swimming since 1990!). Running is probably the greatest thing that helps... I heard Lance Armstrong endorse that notion as well.

Thinking of focusing less on running and more on cycling and swimming. I am skinny, but I'm also 50. The problem is I'm trying to train like I'm 25 or 30. Legs are tightening up and my knee is feeling some pain. I got a 10 mile race in June, but my crit is in May.

Feel like I should focus on the crit first.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CYCLING STORY
Last December I entered into my second pre-season race (C Grade). It's my first race on this hilly circuit, and got dropped on the first hill. However, though I dug in deep and was not able to close the 200yd gap to the bunch . I came last in the race.

After the race we were having refreshments at the cafe. One person, Bruce, asked what happened to me. I explained, and said: "Don't worry. One day I'll catch you and beat you to the line". Bruce replied: "There is no why you could ever beat me on this circuit, your body is not suited for this hilly course". I thought he was just teasing me, but I soon found out that he was very serious. He called the race commissaire for a witness to his statement. Well, he threw down his gauntlet, and I accepted.

Next race was a graded handicap, on a flat circuit. Half way through the race, there was just Bruce and I left in our grade. Bruce was stalling the handicap and trying to make me do most of the work by leading. Though I pulled reasonably hard up front, I only took short turns. Time was running out for us to catch the slower guys. I soon had to break away from Bruce and time-trial it to the finish. After my turn up front, I got behind Bruce, and had a quick drink. Throughout the race I learnt Bruce's body language as to when he wants me to take the lead. While watching him, I drifted back several bike lengths. As soon as I saw the tell-tale sign, I accelerated as fast as I could towards his back wheel, in his draft. On the last moment I flicked around him at 45 kph. It took him by surprise. I could hear 'click' 'click' click' of his gear changes - a big mistake. He put himself into such a big gear, he had no chance of winding out his bike to catch me.

Though I did not catch the winner, I finished second place overall, and first in C grade. Beat Bruce by over a minute.

The next race, was last Sunday, on that hilly course. It was raining, and it had been raining for a few days now. Not many riders turned up for the race. Only three riders for C grade. Bruce was one of them. It was another graded handicap race. However, as soon as our third rider broke away on the second hill, it was just Bruce and me left. It was no longer an handicap race between us. Now it was a race of tactics to see who beats who.

I learnt from the last race that Bruce likes others to do most of the work. So I decided to play his game. I never let Bruce get behind me. He knew I was faster than him on the flats. So all he could do was try and drop me up the hills. He gave two attempts in doing this, but I was able to stay with him, but I felt I was about to have a heart attack on each attempt.

The finish line is at the bottom of a long sloping hill. At the top of this hill, Bruce almost came to a stop. We stalled for three minutes, to see who would go for the final dash. I was able to stall better than Bruce, so he was slowly opening the gap between us. Just before I was about to launch an attack, a D grade rider passed me in a sprint to the line. Bruce took this opportunity to jump in front of him, and sprint also. As I accelerated towards them, the D grader was falling back. So I passed him and now it was just Bruce and I. Bruce kept looking back. I knew if I got on his wheel he would flick around to get on my wheel _ in the hope I would lead him to the finish. So I kept a gap between us, to drive him on. At 200 yds to go I sprinted passed to the line.

On the way back to the car park, Bruce rode up and said: "You did very well." I thought that was very gentlemanly from him. Though the commissaire knew we did poorly for a handicap race, he also knew it was a personal race between ourselves. We sat around having refreshments and nobody said a word about it, which was good to witness.

Over the next month of racing weekends, Bruce and I will be setting up the traffic control signs. This will give us a chance to know each other better, and hopefully develop a good friendship.
Sounds like the friendship is off to a good start! I've only got 5 races under my belt (3 duathlons, TT and a criterium). I have much to learn about strategy. I can watch the pros all I want and that's ok, but experiencing it is better! For example, never knew how well drafting works until I worked in it with others.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any you are on Strava, feel free to PM me and get my info to follow me, and I will follow you as well.

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If any you are on Strava, feel free to PM me and get my info to follow me, and I will follow you as well.
Sorry, I am not yet on Strava.
I heard its easy to connect via mobile phone, but data use can run into some money (that is hearsay). What's it like?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I am not yet on Strava.
I heard its easy to connect via mobile phone, but data use can run into some money (that is hearsay). What's it like?
It uses GPS so it keeps records of your rides in many ways. I could still access my first Strava ride if I wanted to.... About 4 years ago. It keeps tabs on my milage, elevation gain, speed, calories burned... It estimated my watts and everything else you could imagine. They allowed you to Bluetooth a HR monitor, but dropped it (very unpopular).

It also has a sense of social media as you can follow other riders and see what they have done.

The biggest thing I like is that it acts as my training diary. It tracks my swimming, weight training, cycling and running.

They have contests and challenges which is cool. You don't get much from that other than a digital badge and bragging rights. Although I did earn a free T shirt and an elite one for doing 500 miles in a month.

I wear that with pride!

Another cool thing they do is "segments". There are Sprint segments and hills. Your time is logged and placed amongst all others who have logged it on Strava. The guy or gal withe best time is KOM.

I haven't earned on yet... I think I'm in the top 10 in one... Maybe this summer...

The app is free although they have a premium subscription which is under $10 (US dollars) a month, which is worth it for me. However, if data usage was an issue, I probably wouldn't be part of it either.

And that depends on your mobile plan. I have unlimited data, so it's not an issue. I'm up here in the States and unlimited data is common. I don't know if it's readily available in Australia.

Overall, I am a bit of a data junkie in that I like statistics. Strava is great for that.

Reactions: Invisibilis