Damned for not agreeing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Damned for not agreeing

It wasn't bad enough that John Calvin had Michael Servetus burned at the stake... But he sought also to damn anyone for not agreeing with the verdict...

"Whoever shall maintain that wrong is done to heretics and blasphemers in punishing them makes himself an accomplice in their crime and guilty as they are. There is no question here of man's authority; it is God who speaks, and clear it is what law he will have kept in the church, even to the end of the world. Wherefore does he demand of us a so extreme severity, if not to show us that due honor is not paid him, so long as we set not his service above every human consideration, so that we spare not kin, nor blood of any, and forget all humanity when the matter is to combat for His glory. " - John Calvin

I hope we don't stoop down to damning people for not agreeing on our particular viewpoints on our unique perspectives...

1. On worship
2. On doctrine
3. On speaking in tongues
4. On the rapture and 2nd coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
5. On the points of John Calvin

On holiness I believe that a Christian does not...

1. Commit adultery or fornication.
2. Does not abort children
3, Commit homosexuality
4. Participate in drugs or alcoholism

***But we do not persecute those who do***

[sup]20[/sup]For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. [sup]21[/sup]Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

[sup]22[/sup]But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.- Matthew 5: 20, 21, 22

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. - Acts 2:21

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.- 2 Corinthians 3:6

It is faith and a verbal confession in Jesus that saves us and not the intricities of understanding the letter.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It is amazing the people as this, John Calvin, are seen by so many as saints when so little of their actions are like Christ's.

So much for turn the other cheek... So much for not using the power of the flesh... So much for dying for your enemies...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Calvin always did have a problem with the tyranny of the Papacy; he never could get that guy in Rome to bow to him!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Calvin always did have a problem with the tyranny of the Papacy; he never could get that guy in Rome to bow to him!

Haha! Good thing the pontiff did not visit his church!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Matthew 10:34-39

Are you seriously using this to defend the actions of John Calvin?

You're taking one part of scripture and making it apply to what you want. Jesus Christ brought a sword, yes, which divides. But he did not come to kill men. Christ was crucified, not the one crucifying.

[sup]Luke 9:54[/sup]And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? [sup]55[/sup]But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [sup]56[/sup]For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 10:34-39

Good News! According to, [font="Verdana][size="2"]Proverbs 26:11 [/size][/font]only a fool would work at my job so I guess I am off the hook!

Look Mom! I am a Calvinist!

[font="Verdana][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana][size="3"]
[/size][/font]

jdbrown

Jun 5, 2011
And so the spirit of the Inquisition lives on. You all seem very eager to judge. [Romans 14:10-12] All that I did was give reference to some of the scripture that Calvin used to justify his thinking. I do not support Calvin on this issue. Please review [Romans 12] and [1 Corinthians 13].

Peace Brothers.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Over the last few years I've come to really dislike Clavin and Luther, though some of what they did an dsaid was neccessary. I liked Haldrych Zwingli a lot more but I have to be totally honest and say I'm not a fan of the reformation.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to treat your enemies... By John Calvin

michaelservetus02.jpg

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
People damn people as history so brutally illustrates.

But people also damn God as revealed by their own tongues.

If people are capable of burning each other in the flames of rejection, how much more do they incinerate their own chances of eternal bliss by rejecting the loving overtures of the Most High?

The single greatest sin of mankind is to refuse to put the blame where it lies, generally in one's own lap.
Today we call it 'owning'.

It is ALWAYS somebody else's fault.

It's God's fault or it's the neighbors fault, or it's the fault of someone of a different race or political party, or it's their parent's fault. It's always the same sad empty pitiful excuse......

God blamed Himself and died on the cross to prove it.

But who cares, it isn't our damn fault anyway is it?

Damn.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
And so the spirit of the Inquisition lives on. You all seem very eager to judge. [Romans 14:10-12] All that I did was give reference to some of the scripture that Calvin used to justify his thinking. I do not support Calvin on this issue. Please review [Romans 12] and [1 Corinthians 13].

Peace Brothers.

Forgive me for jumping to conclusions, brother. :unsure: Meant no harm.

I agree with Templar, I'm not a fan of the reformation and as a matter of fact don't really agree...

Blessings in the Lord

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
There's no doubt in my mind that we would all agree more if Calvin never opened his mouth from the begining.

Most of what many of us debate and most of what others believe are unknowingly following Calivnism doctrine.

I'm always amazed by how much of this mans bastardized religious views have blead and still hold strong in todays Christians.

We all discuss and wonder and dream about "early" Christianity. We discuss and lament over how "bad" Christianity is becomming.

While there are several other variances that effect, I put 98% of the blame on Calvinisms corruption of the gospel and of a supposed "moral" society. No doubt, there would be more people apt or accepting of Christianity today if it werent for these fear mongoring, hate filled, ignorant people.

Cleche' it maybe, put I think the symbols on the satanistic pentegram stand for the 5 points of Calvinism.