Dancing Methodist Worship Service

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Called this video ”Dancing Methodist Worship Service” and put “Dancing Methodist Worship Service - Robert Sheffey Camp Meeting... The Methodist can dance too!” in the title

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Called this video ”Dancing Methodist Worship Service” and put “Dancing Methodist Worship Service - Robert Sheffey Camp Meeting... The Methodist can dance too!” in the title

I like! I am the quiet, reserved Sir Isaac Newton type, but I must admit, I would dance to this folksy gospel music with the guy in the orange T-shirt. Nothing wrong with worshiping that way. We need more of this in this troubled world. BTW, I love the reference to King Hezekiah. I call him my "sundial King". I am into sundials so the bible story of Hezekiah and Isaiah and the sundial is interesting to me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
WE used to dance in worship. 500 hundred of us in an upper room where the sprung floor used to bounce up and down. We all seem to have lost that now. Shame.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting to note..
---
There were many physical manifestations..
- during the early days of Methodist Revival/Movement.

One of our teens was a gifted dancer, so she performed an "interpretive dance" of one of the Lectionary scriptures during worship. I thought it was well-done, but one woman was so upset about dancing during worship, she stormed out of the sanctuary and went to the Baptist church down the street where they don't dance.

I told this story to one of my Baptist friends, and he chuckled and said in his West Virginia drawl, "Well, you know what we Baptists say, don't you?". No, Dwayne, what do you Baptists say? "We say, 'You gotta watch these kids with their pre-marital sex. It could lead to dancing and who knows what-all!'"

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WE used to dance in worship. 500 hundred of us in an upper room where the sprung floor used to bounce up and down. We all seem to have lost that now. Shame.

During Holy Week, we had a troupe from another church perform an interpretive dance of Twila Paris's beautiful Lamb of God. One of their own assumed a cruciform position while some of the others raised him up at one of the key points in the song. It was a profoundly moving experience to watch.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
During Holy Week, we had a troupe from another church perform an interpretive dance of Twila Paris's beautiful Lamb of God. One of their own assumed a cruciform position while some of the others raised him up at one of the key points in the song. It was a profoundly moving experience to watch.
I've seen interpretive dancers as well but never sure what to make of it. I think I was the only left in my church who danced - more swaying these day - with raised hands. I just HAD to, it is my way of worship. But it bothered me that people would say, 'Oh we love to watch you worship.' And I used to think that if they were really worshiping they wouldn't notice me. Not in his undies like David though. If king can dance before the King then so can I.

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have two left feet when it comes to dancing.
You could have three left feet and still dance for the Lord. He like the fact of dancing not the technical detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I am into sundials so the bible story of Hezekiah and Isaiah and the sundial is interesting to me...

Yes, fascinating stuff-
"And this shall be a sign unto thee from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing that he hath spoken;
Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.
(Isaiah 38:7-8 KJV)

I wonder if God either physically moved the sun backward, or reversed the rotation of the earth?
And I wonder if ancient astronomers (Chinese or Sumerian perhaps) noticed it and left written records somewhere?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that principle also applies to my singing voice. :D
it absolutely does. We can all make a joyful noise even if it's out of tune.

Psa 98:4
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing prais

Psa 100:1
A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

Psa 95:1
O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen interpretive dancers as well but never sure what to make of it. I think I was the only left in my church who danced - more swaying these day - with raised hands. I just HAD to, it is my way of worship. But it bothered me that people would say, 'Oh we love to watch you worship.' And I used to think that if they were really worshiping they wouldn't notice me. Not in his undies like David though. If king can dance before the King then so can I.
There's a couple of good points there.

I don't know what to make of "interpretive dance" either. I normally can't "hear" the scripture through the dance motions. The Lamb of God incident was a very notable exception in that the motions complemented the words in a particularly moving way that I can't explain. Maybe the Spirit dances sometimes too?

The second point that I agree with is that worship should be a "participation sport", not a "spectator sport". And that's an issue I have with professional choirs and the like.

Reactions: Pearl

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis
I myself do like the traditional hymns with Biblical content.

So do you like Christian hard rock? some ppl find that Biblical lyrics to hard rock can be very forceful an impression.
I like Christian metal. I am pretty picky when it comes to metal music. So much garbage to weed through. There are some very good Christian metal bands. I am not a big fan of contemporary Christian rock. Some songs are good. I like the sounds of hymns and the country/blue grass stuff like in this video.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like Christian metal. I am pretty picky when it comes to metal music. So much garbage to weed through. There are some very good Christian metal bands. I am not a big fan of contemporary Christian rock. Some songs are good. I like the sounds of hymns and the country/blue grass stuff like in this video.
@Mantis Yes well you would understand the distinction between hard rock and heavy metal...