Daniel 9:24-27

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Marcus.

Marcus O'Reillius said:
Retro: I live across the street from some Greeks. The Greeks are all Greek around here. They marry Greek. The eat Greek. They run Greek restaurants. They name their kids Greek. They only speak Greek among themselves. They constantly have Greek family over. They have Greek parties. They eat Greek food.

They are not authorities on Kione Greek though. They don't know everything and they stumble over words they don't know, like euthuno.

As far as you: you're the only one in all my books that uses the funny spelling you use. You fail to communicate when you use your own little special way of spelling things because they don't line up with what real authorities in the language use.

Now you gave a pretty good definition of gabar, and then you conveniently change it to mean what you think the passage says.

In a nutshell:
  1. As a verb: gabar means to prevail, to rise up - and this sense is expressed in the Bible in Job 15;25, 36:9, and Isa 42:13.
  2. As an adjective, gabar means to be strong, and is usually associated with might, especially as a warrior.

In the short passage in question:

1. There will be seven 'sevens' for rebuilding in times of distress (Israel is occupied, and this is not the Great Distress).
2. There will be sixty-two 'sevens' until Messiah the Prince (#1) comes - mashiyach nagiyd.
3. After the sixty-two 'sevens' the Messiah - mashiyach - will be cut off (karat).
  • This ends the involvement of the Messiah Prince.
  • The cutting off denotes no following lineage - unlike the whole Holy Grail obsession.
  • The cutting off also connotes a covenant - as in cutting a deal - Biblical covenants require shed blood.
4. Then the people of the prince who will come (#2) destroy the city and the sanctuary.
  • The Jews did not do this, Titus did.
  • To destroy is in the Hebrew hiphil stem, as a verb, imperfect, 3rd person, masculine, and singular with 'people' as one unit.
  • Daniel uses this verb in the Hiphil stem in 8:24 - and it is used as ruin (destroy) not morally corrupt.
  • You know, and I know Hebrew words can have more than one meaning.
  • When we have solid historical evidence of physical destruction in history foretold by Christ, then we need not twist the word around to a moral corruption for which there is no evidence despite the some of the objectionable actions of the zealots - who - as zealots, probably took a very strict, literal interpretation of the Torah and would insist on the least letter of the Law being fulfilled. There has been corruption in the Temple by Priests in the past, but there is no evidence the zealots exceeded their sins. Hence, your insistence on making all things Jewish and ignoring the elephant in the room (the Romans) forces you to interpret this word as a moral corruption.
5. War continues until the end - which sets up a very long period of time between the sixty-two and the one 'seven.'
  • War has been a continual fact of man's history for the last 2000 years.
  • The first Jewish Revolt was not the worst time ever - it happened during the Romana Pax - the Roman peace!
  • War will only end when the one 'seven' is concluded.
  • Ergo: the one 'seven' has not ended, nor begun - it is one unit of time.
6. The prince who will come prevails a covenant for one 'seven.'
  • Prince (#2) is the last person named for labeling the 3rd person singular conjugation of gabar.
  • There is no rule in Hebrew that an object of a preposition cannot be the reference for the next pronoun (unlike what you say).
  • Jesus' only covenant was the New one, and He made that just before His being cut off.
  • Jesus' role ended when He was cut off, which supplied the blood of the Covenant.
  • Jesus did not prevail on the cross by might. (Nor did He die of crucifixion though.)
  • Jesus never instituted a limited, seven-year covenant; His New Covenant goes on until the Last Trumpet.
  • Jesus said the Day of the Lord will not come until after the midpoint (Mt 24:15-31) of the one 'seven.'
7. In the middle of the one 'seven,' quickly (on wing - like a flood) there is an abomination of great magnitude (plural) and desolation.
  • In Rev 13:14-15 Jesus gives us the explanation for why this abomination (idol in the Bible) is so great - it speaks!
  • Following the abomination comes God's Wrath - which are a series of desolations upon the earth.
8. At the end of the one 'seven' the desolations are poured out on the desolator.
  • The last desolations are the Bowls.
  • God's Wrath is not directed toward conditions; God's Wrath is directed toward entities, persons/demons.

Please provide the Biblical reference, chapter and verse - where Jesus specifically makes, remakes, or strengthens the Davidic Covenant.

Also - you will have to provide start and end dates for said limited-time offer. (This will be hard because we don't have any firm dates in the Bible - including the exact date of Jesus' birth which we are soon to celebrate).

You will also have to explain why this strengthening by the Commander of God's Army is so weak it only lasts seven years.

This is after you have already acknowledged that sacrifice and offering went on for another four decades or about.

Your timeline is not in accordance with what Gabriel told Daniel.

We do have evidence in Revelation chapter 13 that the false prophet, who controls the Temple, erects a talking image (an idol = abomination in the Bible) and unlike the many idols God hates in the past which are dumb and cannot speak - this one does!

We can surmise that with the willing subjugation of the Priestly class in the one 'seven' - still to come - that Priestly functions would cease with such an abomination - as both Jesus and Paul said would happen and as John writes - in place in the Temple in front of the curtain (Holy Place).

This really limits what the Lord will do with His Wrath not only on the Day of the Lord, but afterward.

What you do with the language of Daniel 9:26-7 not only violates it, but it goes against what Jesus said in the Olivet Discourse, what Paul wrote in 2nd Thessalonians chapter 2, and what John wrote revealed by God through Jesus to him in Revelation chapter 13.
Yeah, but those Greeks never tried to revive the Koine Greek as a living language. Hebrew HAS been revived and is alive again! This has NEVER happened before in human history, that a dead language should be revived as a conversational language! Usually, dead languages, like Latin, for instance, never make it beyond the textbooks of Latin language classes! Why not? I think it’s for lack of interest. I mean, the Italians are happy with Italian now, and the other romance (stemming from “Rome”) languages, like French for instance, are good enough for the people who speak them.

However, when the nation Israel was “born in a day,” back in 1948 when they declared their independence, they needed a uniting, common language, and what could be better than the language of the ancients when Israel was ruled by David and Shlomoh (Solomon)? Up to that time, Hebrew had been used as a lingua franca in the Land, and in various forms within Europe used mostly for religious liturgy, but it wasn’t until Mendele Mocher Sfarim revived the language that it became a conversational language, first in the Land and then for Jews around the world! Not only was Israel a nation again, but Hebrew was a language again!

As far as my methods of transliteration are concerned, I’ve adopted and adapted a method of transliteration from PC Study Bible (by BibleSoft) that I feel does a very good job of writing things the way that they are truly spoken and the way the words sound. There’s NO standardized method of transliterating Hebrew into English, Greek either, for that matter, and while certain methods may be more common, they don’t quite make the various sounds unique, or they aren’t very close to actual English sounds available. I’ve done my best across the board. Here’s the transliteration scheme again, for those interested:

Hebrew letters:
Letter-name : at-beginning-of-sentence-or-name : in-middle-or-at-end-of-word (sound)
Alef : (nothing) : (an explosive sound at beginning of words like “apple,” “egg,” or “umbrella”)
Vet : B : V
Bet : B : b
Gimmel : G : g
Dalet : D : d
Hei : H : h
Vav : V : v (with vowel variations; see below)
Zayin : Z : z
Chet : Ch : ch (as “ch” in Scottish “loch,” breathy like an “h")
Tet : Tt : T (like a Spanish “t”)
Yod : Y : y
Khaf : K : kh (as “ch” in German “reich,” harsh, guttural sound)
Kaf : K : k
Lamed : L : l
Meim : M : m
Meim sofit (ending meim) : (nothing) : m
Nun : N : n
Nun sofit : (nothing) : n
Ayin : ` : ` (a “swallowed g” sound as “G” in “Gaza” or “Gomorrah")
Fei : F : f
Fei sofit : (nothing) : f
Pei : P : p
Tsadday : Ts : ts
Tsadday sofit : (nothing) : ts
Qof : Q : q
Reish : R : r
Shin : Sh : sh
Sin : S : s
Tav : T : t
Thav : T : th (always as “th” in “thin”; never as “th” in “this”)

Hebrew vowel pointing:
Point-name (description) : transliteration : sound
Patach ( a hyphen “-" below a letter) : a : “a” in “father"
Qamets and qamets chatuf (a small “T” below a letter) : aa : “aw” in “saw"
Segol (a triangle of dots below a letter) : e : “e” in “bed"
Tsere (a sideways colon “..” below a letter) : ee : “ay” in “day"
Tsere with yod (a sideways colon “..” below a letter followed by a yod) : eey : “ay” in “day"
Chireq (a single dot “.” below a letter) : i : “ee” in “bee"
Chireq with yod (a single dot “.” below a letter followed by a yod) : iy : “ee” in “bee"
Cholem (a dot or small circle above and to the left of a letter) : o : “o” in “doe"
Cholem with vav (a vav with a dot above it) : ow : “ow” in “rainbow"
Qibbuts (three dots like a back-slash “\” below a letter) : u : “oo” in “moon"
Shureq (vav with a dot in middle of the letter) : uw : “oo” in “moon"

My Greek transliteration scheme is very close to what most know with some minor variations:

Greek Letters:
Letter-name : capital : minuscule
Alpha : A : a
Beta : B : b
Gamma : G : g
Delta : D : d
Epsilon : E : e
Zeta : Z : z
Eta : Ee : ee
Theta : Th : th
Iota : I : i
Kappa : K : k
Lambda : L : l
Mu : M : m
Nu : N : n
Xi : X : x
Omicron : O : o
Pi : P : p
Rho : R : r
Sigma : S : s
Stigma : [x] : s
Tau : T : t
Upsilon : U : u
Phi : F : f
Chi : Ch : ch
Psi : Ps : ps
Omega : Oo : oo
Rough breathing : H : h
Smooth breathing : [x] : [x]
Accents are ignored.
Also, if I have an omicron/omega pair, I will separate them with a hyphen like this: o-oo.

So, with these schemes, I don’t have to add any special characters; I can use the keys of the keyboard without adding underlines or overlines or special symbols or fonts. I can just type along! I try to be sure to italicize the transliterations of both Bible languages, but if I’m doing a lot of Hebrew or Greek transliteration, I may forego the italicizing.

Take these transliteration schemes or leave them. Whatever works for you, but at least you’ll know what letters are in the word I’m talking about in Hebrew or Greek. And, once being a computer programmer, I’m VERY particular (nit-picky) and consistent!

Frankly, you have NUTS in your nutshell! “Gabar” (“GaaVar") does NOT mean "to prevail!” It means “TO BE STRONG or “TO MAKE STRONG,” depending on the form! That is NOT something that is subjective! That is an OBJECTIVE determination DIRECTLY FROM THIS SCRIPTURE! In your point #6 above, you’re not even using the word “prevails” correctly! YOU CAN’T “PREVAIL” SOMETHING! That makes NO SENSE!

Learn how to use the word “prevail” and THEN we’ll talk some more.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Retrobyter said:
Frankly, you have NUTS in your nutshell! “Gabar” (“GaaVar") does NOT mean "to prevail!” It means “TO BE STRONG or “TO MAKE STRONG,” depending on the form! That is NOT something that is subjective! That is an OBJECTIVE determination DIRECTLY FROM THIS SCRIPTURE!
We don't need to talk anymore. The dividing lines have been drawn. You seek to prevail over real scholars by bombast and verbal beating. I'm sorry, you're not that strong.
Your take on things is not directly from Scripture. It starts with Scripture with gabar (I really don't care about your weird spelling which differs from every reference work I use) and then it goes through your head, and it comes out as you think, which you then mistake for the truth. Don't believe everything you think. Examine every precept. If it doesn't fit, it must be rejected.

Jesus did not force through a limited-time agreement at the beginning of His Ministry. You can't produce the evidence for your assertion, but rather, you double down on insisting your will be done even in such a little area as spelling. I laugh at such a silly notion that what you propose is what I must accept. I will point out your fallacies here so the next reader is beware.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Marcus.

Marcus O'Reillius said:
We don't need to talk anymore. The dividing lines have been drawn. You seek to prevail over real scholars by bombast and verbal beating. I'm sorry, you're not that strong.

Your take on things is not directly from Scripture. It starts with Scripture with gabar (I really don't care about your weird spelling which differs from every reference work I use) and then it goes through your head, and it comes out as you think, which you then mistake for the truth. Don't believe everything you think. Examine every precept. If it doesn't fit, it must be rejected.

Jesus did not force through a limited-time agreement at the beginning of His Ministry. You can't produce the evidence for your assertion, but rather, you double down on insisting your will be done even in such a little area as spelling. I laugh at such a silly notion that what you propose is what I must accept. I will point out your fallacies here so the next reader is beware.
We don’t? Are you saying we should just agree to disagree and move on? OR, are you saying, “Don’t bother me with an explanation; my mind’s made up”?

The beauty of the precepts I accept DO fit well together! Indeed, they answer many of the questions others still have with “difficult passages” of Scripture. Fortunately, they do NOT align with the all-too-common belief systems out there. And, because my “precepts” don’t fit in to YOUR little box of beliefs, you’re willing to denigrate me (not my beliefs), and laugh?

You don’t HAVE to accept what I’ve proposed, but spelling IS important in Hebrew, just as it is important in English. “Here” does not mean with one’s ears; it’s the location right in front of you. Homonyms are frequently a problem with trying to be understood when one is writing a response. If one cannot spell correctly, even the simplest of errors could lead to misunderstanding that then must take up additional time.

The word “gabar” (“gaaVar") is NOT found in Daniel 9:27; the word found there is “vhigbiyr.” That spelling, which is BASED on “gaaVar,” has embedded within the nuances of the word the case, gender, number, and form that determines any additional English words that must be added for translation, not to mention the addition of the connective “v-“ which is usually translated as “and.” It’s just like in any other language that includes information of case within the spelling of the word! I’m not making this stuff up! It’s NOT unique with me; any one who has studied Hebrew will give you the same information! And, by “studying Hebrew,” I do NOT mean just looking up a word in a concordance, glossary, lexicon, or a dictionary! One must also be introduced to grammar books and the BEST lessons are learned from those who truly KNOW the language, like the Sabra who was my mentor. (A “Sabra,” btw, is a NATIVE of Israel, born and raised and taught in a Hebrew-speaking culture.) He holds a doctorate from the Hebrew University (but he will frequently be found in a loose-fitting shirt, shorts, and sandals).

When are you going to understand that this is not unique with me nor is it due to my “limited understanding?” It comes from the TEACHING I have received! It’s not subjective; it’s OBJECTIVE! It comes from grammar text books, and life lessons from my teacher, and being forced to converse in Hebrew every time I meet with my teacher in public, and living with others who only understand Hebrew, and hearing the nuances of the words used in conversation, how those individuals use those words in context! It comes from weekly hearing the words in the context of the liturgy! It comes from understanding my Jewish roots as a Messianic Jew!

Now, NO; "Jesus did not force through a limited-time agreement at the beginning of His Ministry.” He didn’t HAVE to do so! All He had to do, being the “Son of David,” and being born the “King of the Jews,” was SUBMIT to being baptized by John (and getting John to submit to baptizing Him, as well)!

Matthew 3:13-17
13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
KJV

Mark 1:9-11
9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
11 And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
KJV

Luke 3:21-22
21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
KJV

This is GOD’S direct fulfillment of the Davidic Covenant:

2 Samuel 7:4-16
4 And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying,
5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in?
6 Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle.
7 In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spake I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me an house of cedar?
8 Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel:
9 And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth.
10 Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,
11 And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the Lord telleth thee that he will make thee an house.
12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.
16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.
KJV

1 Chronicles 22:7-10
7 And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God:
8 But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.
9 Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.
10 He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever.
KJV

1 Chronicles 28:2-7
2 Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:
3 But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood.
4 Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel:
5 And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.
6 And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
7 Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.
KJV

Psalm 89:20-37
20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
29 His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness (Hebrew: v-chacdiy = "and-my-covenant-keeping") will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
34 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.
35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.
36 His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.
37 It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.
KJV

That’s why the author of Hebrews adds:

Hebrews 1:1-9
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
KJV

So, Yeshua` (Jesus) didn’t HAVE to “make” a covenant or “force” a covenant! The covenant was ALREADY IN PLACE! It was GOD, Yeshua`s Father, who enforced the Covenant!

Now, THIS verse, Daniel 9:27, is the ONLY place that actually gives the information that His offer of the Kingdom would take "one Seven" or seven years to complete. However, we DO have the information that David, Yeshua`s ancestor, reigned as “king of the Jews” or a king over the tribe of Y'hudah for 7 years or for 7.5 years. This could have been a pattern for Daniel 9:27, but if so, this pattern would have come from God alone, for this prophecy was not given by Daniel but by Gavriel (Gabriel) as God’s messenger.

We are also given the information that “in the middle of the Seven HE (the Messiah) would make the sacrifice and oblation to cease and the author of Hebrews tells us in Hebrews 10 that this was accomplished because the death of the Messiah ended the need for animal sacrifices! There is NO MORE SACRIFICE when God is not accepting further sacrifice! They could slaughter all the animals they would like over the next 40 years, but they would accomplish NOTHING! They were just slaughterings!

It’s like when the children of Israel “decided/repented” that they would go into the Promised Land anyway after God told them that they would wander the wilderness until all that generation died off. They learned they had no ability to do so because God was no longer supporting them!

Numbers 14:26-45
26 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
27 How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me.
28 Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:
29 Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me,
30 Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
31 But your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, them will I bring in, and they shall know the land which ye have despised.
32 But as for you, your carcases, they shall fall in this wilderness.
33 And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be wasted in the wilderness.
34 After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.
35 I the LORD have said, I will surely do it unto all this evil congregation, that are gathered together against me: in this wilderness they shall be consumed, and there they shall die.
36 And the men, which Moses sent to search the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up a slander upon the land,
37 Even those men that did bring up the evil report upon the land, died by the plague before the LORD.
38 But Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of the men that went to search the land, lived still.
39 And Moses told these sayings unto all the children of Israel: and the people mourned greatly.
40 And they rose up early in the morning, and gat them up into the top of the mountain, saying, Lo, we be here, and will go up unto the place which the LORD hath promised: for we have sinned.
41 And Moses said, Wherefore now do ye transgress the commandment of the LORD? but it shall not prosper.
42 Go not up, for the LORD is not among you; that ye be not smitten before your enemies.
43 For the Amalekites and the Canaanites are there before you, and ye shall fall by the sword: because ye are turned away from the LORD, therefore the LORD will not be with you.
44 But they presumed to go up unto the hill top: nevertheless the ark of the covenant of the LORD and Moses, departed not out of the camp.
45 Then the Amalekites came down, and the Canaanites which dwelt in that hill, and smote them, and discomfited them, even unto Hormah.

KJV

The same was true about their attempts at sacrifice after they killed the Messiah! Yeshua` had already left them DESOLATE (Matt. 23:37-39)! EMPTY! A WASTELAND! The destruction of the Temple just hadn’t happened, yet!

Yeshua`s offer of the Kingdom to Israel was for the totality of His “ministry” from the time He was baptized to the time He was rejected and He pronounced them “Desolate.” He was not sent but to the “lost sheep of the house of Israel.” His instructions to His emissaries was NOT to go onto the roads to the Gentiles or the Samaritans but to go only to the towns of the children of Israel. And, the job of the emissaries was to herald the soon arrival of the Messiah to their town, as He was following them throughout the towns and villages of Israel.

So, feel free to point out my fallacies. I look forward to hearing what you perceive as fallacies.

Shalom, Trekson.

Trekson said:
Hi Retro, I thought I made my point pretty clear in the OP, but I guess not. Let's take a second look:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. 25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. 26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: (imo, there should have been a period here (with no "and") to close the topic of the Messiah and to start a new one, ie. "the people of the prince") and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."

The first thing one must come to grips with is, it's all or nothing regarding the 70th week. There is no such thing as a 3 1/2 yr. split except in the eyes of those that want to devise one out of nothing.

Your words: “See, HE put the gap in the middle of the Seven! When He left them desolate and ended the sacrifice, HE postponed the second half of the Seven until His people knuckled under! He offered them His Kingdom BEFORE He was crucified, and He will offer them His Kingdom AFTER He returns!

There is no “gap” at all. His “coming” did not begin with his ministry but with his fulfillment of Zech. 9:9 – “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”

So there is no gap! At the end of the 69th week Messiah was “cut off” (crucified). The 70th week never began! Also there can be no partial fulfillment. All six aspects of vs. 24 must be fulfilled within or at the end of the 70th week.

Your words: “Christians have put FAR too much emphasis on a “seven-year period” and an “antichrist!” That is NOT who is seen in Daniel 9:26-27! That “prince” was Titus who DID come ... in the first century! The people of that “prince,” the Romans, particularly the Roman soldiers, burned and tore the Temple apart, stone by stone, until there was nothing left standing! Thus, ANY and EVERY theory based on seeing an “antichrist” in Daniel 9:24-27 should be DISCARDED!

Antiochus Eppiphanes was closer to a complete fulfillment of the prophecy than Titus ever could be. The only reason he is not is because all six aspects weren’t fulfilled, thus he became a ‘type” of what we and the Jews are to look for in the future. I agree that “some” aspects seemed to be fulfilled around 70 AD but again not ALL, thus it should be eliminated from the list of possible fulfillments.

Your words: “What Yeshua` was talking about in His "Olivet Discourse” (Matthew 24, 25; Mark 13; and Luke 21) was the ultimate result of those “abominations that led to desolation” - the “abomination OF the desolation,” namely the desecration of the Temple, the most terrifying and horrible abomination of all to a Jew.”

Respectfully, I think you’re wrong on your take of the gospel account.

Matt. 24:15 – “When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand :)

I believe this can come from only two places.

Dan. 11:31 – “ And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.” (and the same thing being spoken of in…)

Dan. 12:11 – “And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.”

Well, here are some things we know for sure. It wasn’t the destruction of the temple that was the a of d as that had happened before. There is only one foreseeable point in scripture when “there will be an end to sins” and that is in the millennial era. That and that alone should be enough to inform one that the end of the 70th week will be the beginning of the millennial era and that hasn’t happened yet. I know you disagree with this but, imo, from Dan. 11:21 unto the end of the chapter is detailing the time of the a/c. So we must ask ourselves did Christ give us any more clues describing the a of d and in my opinion, he did in Rev. 13. I think it quite clear that the only thing that would qualify as THE a of d, would be a fulfillment of the “type” that occurred with Antiochus Eppiphanes. Remember, what was the #1 law as shown in the OT? “Thou shalt have no other Gods before me”! As far as I know, Titus never erected a statue to be worshipped, thus again eliminating 70 AD as a possible fulfillment.

Your words: “We’ve been LIVING in the “Great Tribulation,” THEIR “horrific pressure," sandwiched between for the last two millennia!”

Sorry, but I believe the great trib is on the church and Israel will have the “time of Jacob’s trouble”. Two similar but separate events, imo. And yes, I think it’s going to get much worse for Israel as a whole, in the near future, and no disrespect intended but it will make the holocaust seem like small potatoes, in comparison. It will be about Jews and Christians world-wide not just around Israel.
You said, 'imo, there should have been a period here (with no "and") to close the topic of the Messiah and to start a new one, ie. "the people of the prince.”’ The problem with this, as I’ve said before, is that “the prince” is the OBJECT OF A PREPOSITION! That is, the “PEOPLE" can be the subject, but NOT the "PRINCE!” Not to mention that taking out the vav connective changes the text of God’s Word! Ironically, the vav is NOT on “people” or “the prince" but on “the city,” because the direct objects come first in the Hebrew. There’s also a vav connective on “the sanctuary."

You said, 'There is no “gap” at all. His “coming” did not begin with his ministry but with his fulfillment of Zech. 9:9 – “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”
So there is no gap! At the end of the 69th week Messiah was “cut off” (crucified). The 70th week never began! Also there can be no partial fulfillment. All six aspects of vs. 24 must be fulfilled within or at the end of the 70th week.'

However, you have a “gap,” too. You just place it between the 69th Seven and the 70th Seven. The problem is this: How does one justify THAT “gap?" The preterists are right when they point out that there’s no Scriptural reason for having a gap between those two Sevens, ESPECIALLY a gap of 2,000 YEARS! So, how does one justify it?

Now regarding your words, 'Antiochus Epiphanes was closer to a complete fulfillment of the prophecy than Titus ever could be. The only reason he is not is because all six aspects weren’t fulfilled, thus he became a ‘type” of what we and the Jews are to look for in the future. I agree that “some” aspects seemed to be fulfilled around 70 AD but again not ALL, thus it should be eliminated from the list of possible fulfillments.’

Coupled with, ‘Respectfully, I think you’re wrong on your take of the gospel account.
Matt. 24:15 – “When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand :)
I believe this can come from only two places.
Dan. 11:31 – “ And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.” (and the same thing being spoken of in…)
Dan. 12:11 – “And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.”'

You’ve made the mistake of using labels instead of letting the words simply have their meanings. We who speak English often have that problem. We have so many synonyms that we can “afford” to have a certain set of synonyms SOLELY mean a particular thing. So, we have this phrase, the “abomination of desolation” that can ONLY refer to the particular event that “hasn’t happened, yet."

However, the word “abomination” means “a detestable thing or act.” The word “desolation” means “an emptying” or “a barrenness.” So, how many Christians know that “abomination of desolation” means “a detestable act that leads to barrenness?” And, what might that be? Well, a certain subset of the people who claim to be Christians believes that this MUST refer to the “setting up of an idol in the Temple performed by a future ‘Antichrist.’” That’s pretty particular! And, what proof do they have? The words of FULFILLED prophecy in Daniel 11 and 12, as though the prophecy was unfulfilled! Bad form, as far as interpreting Scripture is concerned. The larger of the two sets of prophecy is that of Daniel 9, covering the 490-year expanse from the time that the restoration of Jerusalem and the Temple were commissioned. The shorter timeline of the prophecy of Daniel 11 and 12 was WITHIN that time period from a different perspective. And, like it or not, Antiochus IV Epiphanes DID fulfill both Daniel 11 and Daniel 12.

More later; gotta get some sleep.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Retro, it's the matter that I have looked at your declarations which are the foundation of your conclusions and I reject the very basis for your eschatology.

I note that you are entirely on your own regarding your take on the language. It's not so much a matter of hearing what is said here as being mixed up with hereing what is said hear but the fact that you declare word meaning in the only one manner which supports your eschatology.

That is the dividing line and I will never follow your take.

Likewise, a covenant is a very specific legal act when God does it. It has necessary steps for its execution in order to be enforceable. None of that is done when Jesus fulfills prophecy concerning the lineage of David. I reject your take on this as well.

Continuing, for those Amillennialists who reject sacrifice as detailed by Ezekiel as being future-oriented and who bring up Hebrews as saying sacrifice is over, reading carefully; there is never a specific or even a blanket revocation of the Law. We are not under the Law when we accept Jesus' sacrifice for us. We are under the New Covenant which DOES comport with all the legal requirements in the Bible for making (not gabar) a covenant.

Finally, I find your definition of abominations desolation to fall so short of its full ramifications as to also be self-serving to your eschatology. This is the worst type of exegesis in my opinion: where you make something mean what you want it to mean.

So, I reject your partial Preterist leanings on Daniel 9:26-27. It is important to do so not without reason. Finding where we split, as with basic word definition, is necessary for growth in understanding.

I ask the reader to look to valid reference research and not trust your declarations at face value.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Retro, Your words: "However, you have a “gap,” too. You just place it between the 69th Seven and the 70th Seven. The problem is this: How does one justify THAT “gap?" The preterists are right when they point out that there’s no Scriptural reason for having a gap between those two Sevens, ESPECIALLY a gap of 2,000 YEARS! So, how does one justify it?"

Well, I "justify" it this way. Who is the prophecy to? "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people (Israel) and upon thy holy city (Jerusalem)" The OT is a historic reckoning of all the times Israel could have had the Kingdom of God upon them, if they had just obeyed and stuck to their parts of the various covenants. The lesson we've learned over and over again is that Israel constantly failed. The first time was just after the twelve spies were sent into the Promised Land. They let fear coupled with a lack of faith overcome them so instead of inheriting the "kingdom" they were sentenced to wander the desert for forty years. The second time was after the 40 yrs. were over and they had many military victories with God’s help but they wanted an earthly king who ended up disobeying God’s instructions and because of their national disobedience, again the kingdom was denied them and then because of their continued disobedience and spiritual adultery they went into the Babylonian captivity for seventy years.

The third time was after the Babylonian captivity. We have the story of Nehemiah and the promises made. God even designed their second temple (Ez. 40-46). Let’s face it, God isn’t going to give them plans for a third temple before the second one was built. That is why it speaks of sacrifices. All they needed to do was to repent on a national level. They failed again. That is why the second temple wasn’t built to specs. God sent Cyrus and Darius as hindrances and Israel’s fear of them over their fear of God coupled with their unhappiness over the barren condition of the land where Jerusalem needed to be rebuilt, led them to build a “lesser” temple.

The time from their prophecy by Daniel and the time the Messiah came was 483 yrs. Do you see how the time between opportunities graduates exponentially? Christ needed to become our and their sacrifice but as Christ taught over and over, “the kingdom of God was at hand”. It is my belief that if Israel had repented on a national level, immediately after His resurrection, the 70th week would have continued and the “literal” Kingdom of God would have commenced. God knew they would not but He will show them at a future date that it could have. Their national rejection of the Messiah is the one and only reason for the gap between the 69th and 70th week. This time it’s been over two thousand yrs. and counting.

At a future date of God’s timing, the 70th week will begin, this time leading up to the national acceptance of Christ by the 1/3 remnant per fulfillment of prophecy, by the end of the 70th week. At that time, all six aspects of the prophecy will be fulfilled on both an individual and national basis and the promised millennial era will begin.

Your words: “You’ve made the mistake of using labels instead of letting the words simply have their meanings. We who speak English often have that problem. We have so many synonyms that we can “afford” to have a certain set of synonyms SOLELY mean a particular thing. So, we have this phrase, the “abomination of desolation” that can ONLY refer to the particular event that “hasn’t happened, yet."

I don’t see the mistake. Christ’s words were pretty specific about it being a specific thing at a specific time, not fulfilled by the time he was preaching. You refuse to believe in typology and near/far fulfillments although it’s been shown and proven to be a reality time and time again. So much so that the phrase “history repeats itself” is a common modern day axiom even in the secular world. Why they can see it and you can’t, remains a mystery to me. Just because you don’t want to believe in the reality doesn’t make it not one.

Your words: “However, the word “abomination” means “a detestable thing or act.” The word “desolation” means “an emptying” or “a barrenness.” So, how many Christians know that “abomination of desolation” means “a detestable act that leads to barrenness?”

Sounds like what allowing an image of a false God to be set up would lead to.

Your words: “And, what might that be? Well, a certain subset of the people who claim to be Christians believes that this MUST refer to the “setting up of an idol in the Temple performed by a future ‘Antichrist.’” That’s pretty particular! And, what proof do they have? The words of FULFILLED prophecy in Daniel 11 and 12, as though the prophecy was unfulfilled! Bad form, as far as interpreting Scripture is concerned. The larger of the two sets of prophecy is that of Daniel 9, covering the 490-year expanse from the time that the restoration of Jerusalem and the Temple were commissioned. The shorter timeline of the prophecy of Daniel 11 and 12 was WITHIN that time period from a different perspective. And, like it or not, Antiochus IV Epiphanes DID fulfill both Daniel 11 and Daniel 12.”

Sorry Retro, but stamping your foot and declaring something untrue as true, just because you want it to be, won’t fly. Historically, it’s been proven that the time of Antiochus Eppiphanes is just Dan. 11:14-20 and expanded upon in Maccabees. You want to continue to mix typology with reality and prophetically it just doesn’t work out as you’ve been shown over and over. So, it’s not a matter of “if I like it or not”, it’s a matter of an unbiased historical perspective. There is no “proof” of prophecy possible until it’s fulfilled and history has shown that what you consider a fulfillment is not because it fails the 100% accuracy test. So it remains unfulfilled unto this day, as you put it, like it or not!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shabbat shalom, Marcus.

You said, “No, Retro, it's the matter that I have looked at your declarations which are the foundation of your conclusions and I reject the very basis for your eschatology.
I note that you are entirely on your own regarding your take on the language. It's not so much a matter of hearing what is said here as being mixed up with hereing what is said hear but the fact that you declare word meaning in the only one manner which supports your eschatology.
That is the dividing line and I will never follow your take.”

“Never" is a VERY long time, bro’. It’s kinda sad that you won’t even CONSIDER my point of view, but ... oh, well. Time will tell.

You said, "Likewise, a covenant is a very specific legal act when God does it. It has necessary steps for its execution in order to be enforceable. None of that is done when Jesus fulfills prophecy concerning the lineage of David. I reject your take on this as well."

I agree! But, when GOD executes such a covenant - TO DAVID, btw - and executed it FOR HIS OWN SON, it’s sacrilege to reject such a covenant! Yeshua` didn’t have to “DO” anything, really! All He did was SUBMIT to His Father’s will!

You said, “Finally, I find your definition of abominations desolation to fall so short of its full ramifications as to also be self-serving to your eschatology. This is the worst type of exegesis in my opinion: where you make something mean what you want it to mean.
So, I reject your partial Preterist leanings on Daniel 9:26-27. It is important to do so not without reason. Finding where we split, as with basic word definition, is necessary for growth in understanding.”

Okay, this requires a little more information, although you’ll probably STILL misunderstand:

Here’s the Hebrew of Dan. 9:27; Dan. 11:31; and Dan. 12:11:
Daniel 9:27 Vhigbiyr briyt laaraviym shaaVuwa` echaad vachatsiy hashaaVuwa` yashbiyt zebach uwminchaah v`al knaf shiquwtsiym mshomeem v`ad kaalaah vnecheraatsaah titakh `al shomeem:
v’al = and-above/over/upon/against
knaf = a-wing-spread-out
shiquwtsiym = of-abominations
mshomeem = from-he-shall-make-it-desolate

Daniel 11:31 Uwzro`iym mimenuw ya`amoduw vchilluw hamiqdaash hamaa`owz vheeciyruw hataamiyd vnaatnuw hashiquwts mshowmeem:
vnaatnuw = and-they-shall-place
hashiquwts = the-abomination
mshowmeem = from-that-makes-desolate

Daniel 12:11 Uwmee`eet huwcar hataamiyd vlaateet shiquwts shomeem yaamiym elef maa’tayim vtish`iym:
vlaateet = and-shall-set-up
shiquwts = an-abomination
shomeem = that-makes-desolate

Notice how none of the three is the same as the others. It’s important to see that NONE of them can be interpreted as the “abomination of desolation.” Investigating the contexts of each, one might make the conclusion that Daniel 12:11 is the same time as Daniel 11:31, but neither is the same time as that of Daniel 9:27. However, IF one can determine (legitimately, btw) that Daniel 11:31 is talking about Antiochus IV Epiphanes, then so is Daniel 12:11! Thus, the ONLY one of the three that could be talking about the time period Yeshua` was talking about in the Olivet Discourse, a time AFTER Yeshua`s discourse, would be Daniel 9:27. And, Matthew 23 DEFINITELY matches the activities of the Messiah Yeshua` predicted to occur by Daniel 9:27. Thus, Matthew 24:15 - in the VERY NEXT CHAPTER - is referring to THIS verse in Daniel.

Now, if Daniel 11:31 is referring to Antiochus IV, then HE is the one who fulfilled that verse on 25 Kislev 168 B.C. when he sacrificed unclean animals such as pigs on the Altar of God to Olympian Zeus. The problem with understanding Daniel 11 is that a HUGE amount of time occurs within that one chapter, and MANY men (and women) are predicted and described within God’s predictions through Gavri’el, His messenger. While some think that all the verses that follow are about this “antichrist” character because Antiochus IV didn’t fulfill them all, they are actually predictions of other men - Herod the Great and Caesar Augustus - who DID fulfill those verses.

Finally, you said, “I ask the reader to look to valid reference research and not trust your declarations at face value."

To that I say, yes, please! Search the Scriptures and all the references at your disposal. Don’t just take my word for it; get expert help!

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Retrobyter said:
knaf = a-wing-spread-out
shiquwtsiym = of-abominations
mshomeem = from-he-shall-make-it-desolate
kanaph does NOT mean wing spread out. It means wing - period.

siqqusim does not mean OF abominations; it means abominations.

mesomem does not mean "from he shall make it" desolate - it means desolation by taking the root somen (adjective: desolate) and adding a prefix me which makes it a noun (hence desolation).

None of the added words are actually there.

Words are added in by means of translation to make these three nouns understandable.

In that respect, they are like the words God wrote to Belshazzar that only Daniel could interpret: MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN - three simple words which no one but Daniel could decipher correctly.

Likewise kanaph siqqusim mesomen are also three simple nouns to which we know their individual meaning, but together their meaning is totally muddled - and you are not Daniel.

There is a correct translation, but you don't have it because you start with defining the words in only one particular way - the exact way you wish to interpret it.

I will say this in love as a Christian reproof: you are not being an honest scholar here and you are doing harm.

There is a way to interpret these words which comports with Revelation chapter 13.

However, as much as you would like to assign these words to the past, you do a great disservice not only to the language but to any who would follow you.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Daniel 9:24 "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy People and upon thy holy city, to finesh the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy."

There are six things that will come to pass before the transgression is completed upon Jerusalem. Then we will see our Lord Jesus Christ coming back to set up His kingdom upon the earth, and the transgressions will be no more.

Do you see sin around today? Of course; What these things are referring to is the first day of the millennium age. this is looking forward to when the Antichrist has come to earth, and has been cast into the pit.
It is a time when our Lord Jesus Christ is anointed in the most holy place in Jerusalem, showing the world that Jesus Christ is the only True Christ. The next three verses lets us know there is a difference between the true Christ and the false Christ.

Daniel 9:25 "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again and the wall, even in troublous times."

There are four times in history that the starting time of this seventy week period of prophecy could have started. This is what has made this starting date so controversial. During the time of Jewish captivity, four different commandments were issued, for the return to Jerusalem. These were:

First, was the command of Cyrus to return to rebuild the temple as seen in II Chronicles 36:22-23 and Ezra 1. the date of this command was given in 539 B.C.

Second, was the command by Darius to advance the construction of the temple, as we see in Ezra 6:1. This command was given in 518 B.C. or in 519 B.C.

Third, was the command of Artaxerxes to Ezra to purify the temple and reestablish the sacrifices and ordinances. This command is found in Ezra 4:17, and the command was given in 457 B.C.

Fourth, the command of Artaxerxes to Nehemiah to return to Jerusalem, to rebuild the city streets and walls, to make the city safe from the raids and plundering of the neighboring nations. We read of this in Nehemiah 2:1-9, and this puts this command in 444 B.C.

In Daniel 9:25 we read, "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem..." The fourth command in 444 B.C. could be the only starting point for Daniel's seventy week prophecy. All three of the other commands were not relating to the city of Jerusalem, but to the building, finishing, and purification of the temple.

At the conclusion of the seventy weeks of years, Daniel saw in the vision that certain things would happen. Look ar Daniel 9:24, "... to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy and to anoint the most Holy."

We know that each of these things above still exist and will exist until the end of the tribulation period. That time of testing for all Israel, and destruction for the rest of the world.
It is an historical fact that the time to rebuild the streets and walls of Jerusalem was 49 years, exactly as Daniel prophesied in Daniel 9:25. "...from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince (Jesus Christ recognized as the Messiah), shall be seven weeks, three score and two weeks."

The first seven weeks, then sixty-two more weeks of years were given in the vision of Daniel for the time of the Messiah. This then leaves us one week shy of the total seventy weeks prophesied by Daniel, for the Messiah to come and physically rule over Israel.

444 B.C. Jerusalem Rebuilt Messiah Messiah

7 weeks 62 weeks Gap 1 week
49 years 434 years time of Millennium age
Gentiles

there are three separate periods, with a gap between the second period of of 434 years, and the final period of seven years. This gap in the seventy years of weeks prophecy period is what the Apostle Paul calls the time of the Gentiles. In Romans 11:17-24 Paul talked about the time when Gentiles, the wild olive branch, will be grafted onto the good olive tree, the trunk of Abraham. This grafting period, or the gap, is what we now call "the Church age". The time from the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the head of the Church, to the start of the last seven week period, then is the time of grace, and peace that is offered to all.

Grace is the gift of total forgiveness by God, by simply accepting by faith the price that Jesus Christ's death on the cross, and his resurrection, paid for. For this God offers "peace", and whatever sins were ever committed, are blotted out and covered by the blood of Christ. This is spelled out in John 3:16.
When we consider the time span from 444 B.C to 33 A.D., and deduct for the fact of the one year between 1 B.C. and 1 A.D., we have a total of 476 solar years. That is 173,855 total solar days. The Jewish calendar year has 360 days to the year, and would show 483 years for the same time frame. (360 days X 483 years equals 173,880 Jewish calendar days.)

To be accurate, the actual date of the commandment was March 5th of our calendar year of 444 B.C. When we compute the solar calendar days of 173,855 to the starting date, and add the 25 days excess from the Jewish calendar, we find the date to be March 3oth, 33 A.D., the time Jesus rode into Jerusalem with a multitude of people around him; "...cried saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest." Matthew 21:1-12 They were claiming Jesus to be the Messiah.

In Daniel 9:27 continues thousands of years later, following the period we call the gap, or Church age. This is the one week of years God set aside to draw His people, called the Jews, back to himself. "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."
Halfway into the period, three and a half years, the Antichrist reveals his true colors, and Satan then turns on the Jews. He stops sacrifices and oblations, and brings the abomination to the temple. Then hatred, wrath and killing will be poured out on the nation of Israel. We will discuss each of these points later, as we look at various biblical passages in both the Old and New Testaments.

The thing that makes these four verses, Daniel 9:24-27 so important to Christians, and Bible prophecy, is that it identifies the time of the age of Christ's church on earth. The two important things to remember here is that the sacrifices and the oblation will cease, this is the communion, and the Passover feast offerings, and that is because the entire world, including Christians, will believe that Christ has returned to earth. They will believe that the Antichrist is the Messiah.

The second thing is that abomination that is to take place in Jerusalem, is when the Antichrist, Satan, shall stand in the temple and claim himself to be the true Christ.

Daniel 9:26 "And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for Himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and unto the end of the war desolations are determined."

The emperor of Rome took sides with the Syrians, against the Jews, and Titus Vespian moved his huge Roman army against all Judea, to totally destroy the city, and as Jesus prophesied, dismantled the entire temple. The Jews that escaped with their lives were scattered throughout the countries of the world.
Daniel 9:27 "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."
In the translation, "the desolate", it is a person, and should be translated "desolator". That desolator is the Antichrist. and is Satan himself. It is not a king in Europe, or the middle east, for Satan is the "star" that fell to the earth in Revelation 9:1, and he will be given the key, or the authority to the bottomless pit.
When the seventh trump sounds, the seventy weeks of years are over, and you will face the Lord Jesus Christ, either as a happy bride [the church], or in shame for chasing after the Antichrist.

http://www.theseason.org/daniel/daniel9.htm

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Marcus.

Marcus O'Reillius said:
kanaph does NOT mean wing spread out. It means wing - period.

siqqusim does not mean OF abominations; it means abominations.

mesomem does not mean "from he shall make it" desolate - it means desolation by taking the root somen (adjective: desolate) and adding a prefix me which makes it a noun (hence desolation).

None of the added words are actually there.

Words are added in by means of translation to make these three nouns understandable.

In that respect, they are like the words God wrote to Belshazzar that only Daniel could interpret: MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN - three simple words which no one but Daniel could decipher correctly.

Likewise kanaph siqqusim mesomen are also three simple nouns to which we know their individual meaning, but together their meaning is totally muddled - and you are not Daniel.

There is a correct translation, but you don't have it because you start with defining the words in only one particular way - the exact way you wish to interpret it.

I will say this in love as a Christian reproof: you are not being an honest scholar here and you are doing harm.

There is a way to interpret these words which comports with Revelation chapter 13.

However, as much as you would like to assign these words to the past, you do a great disservice not only to the language but to any who would follow you.

No, you’re not thinking. When you see a bird at rest, do you see the wing? (Not unless it’s colored differently,) No, what you see is simply a covering of feathers. One must spread out the wing to see it. Remember: We are talking about an agricultural society ... with CHICKENS, like a rooster that crows after denials!

The Hebrew idiom, “`al knaf," “upon a wing,” refers to the feathers branching out and spreading apart. Why do you think the phrase “al knaf ha’ahavah” means “on the wing of love?” It doesn’t mean to “buoy” someone “up on love”; it means “as love grows! - “as love MUSHROOMS!"

Secondly, the word is not “siqqusim”; that’s confusing transliteration. The first “s” is actually the “shin” with the dot above the right side of the shin, not the “sin” with the dot above the left side. The second “s” is actually the “tsadday” which sounds like our “t” and “s” together as in the word “pots.” The word would be better transliterated as “shiqquwtsiym,” because there is also a “vav” (“uw”) and a “yod” (“y”) in the word. Thus, the word is spelled “shin-qof-vav-tsadday-yod-meim,” or “sh-q-w-ts-y-m.” The vowel pointing directs us to pronounce it with an “ee” sound after the “sh,” an “oo” sound after the qof (WITH the vav as “uw”), and an “ee” sound after the “ts.” This gives us the pronunciation of “sh-ee-q-uw-ts-ee-m.” Replacing the “ee” with the “i” that represents that sound gives us “sh-i-q-uw-ts-iy-m.” Also, the “qof” has a dagesh in it (a dot in the middle of the letter) that makes the letter a sound for the previous and the present syllable. This is why it is often doubled as “qq.” That gives us the final spelling, “sh-i-qq-uw-ts-iy-m.” And, THAT is why I use this transliteration scheme! While it does nothing for cantination, it gives us the important information of both the Hebrew letters and the vowel pointing so we know PRECISELY how it is spelled AND pronounced in Hebrew!

Thirdly, the word “shiqquwtsiymFOLLOWSknaf!” When a noun follows another noun in Hebrew it is called a noun "construct state!" That PUTS the “of” in the translation, just as “ben Yisra’eel” means “a son OF Israel!” Thus, this is “a wing OF abominations!” And, when you add “shomeem” as a manufactured noun “(that) from-desolate” or “desolation,” you have “a wing OF abominations OF desolation,” IF they were all three to be interpreted as nouns.

HOWEVER, the “meim” (“m-“) prefix MEANS “from!” And, with two nouns already in a construct state, it is more likely to be interpreted as an adjective with the preposition, implying a missing (or an “understood”) noun so modified! It’s the same concept as in Isaiah 9:6 (or 5):

The portion of Isaiah 9:6 (5) that is often in question is “pele’ yow`eets,” translated “wonderful(,) counselor.” The word “pele’” means “a miracle,” a noun. The word “yow`eets” means “an advisor” or “a vizier,” also a noun. Putting them together would normally call for a construct state; however, there are so many nouns placed one after the other, that it makes better sense to consider them as appositives strung together or as adjectives. This is why the first was translated as an adjective, “wonderful.” (Personally, I believe that it means “a Miracle, a Vizier, etc.”)

Now, you’re right! NONE of the added words for the sake of translation are actually there. ON THE OTHER HAND, without those added words, you wouldn’t be able to understand the text without understanding Hebrew! It’s a "Catch-22.” That’s another proof that no language translation is one-to-one!

And, one does not have to be Daniel to understand Hebrew! BUT, one DOES have to study Hebrew to understand Hebrew! (Doh!)

Lastly, you said, “There is a correct translation, but you don't have it because you start with defining the words in only one particular way - the exact way you wish to interpret it.
However, as much as you would like to assign these words to the past, you do a great disservice not only to the language but to any who would follow you."

Well, that’s your OPINION, but it is an opinion without knowledge. I also submit to you that you also start with the premise that there MUST be a way to “comport” Daniel 9 with Revelation 13 (through Matthew 24, btw) when you do YOUR reasoning, the exact way that YOU wish to interpret it! And, as a brother in the Messiah Yeshua`, I ADJURE you by the Ruach haQodesh (the Holy Spirit) to provide POSITIVE PROOF beyond the shadow of a doubt that Revelation 13 is connected to Daniel 9, with or without Matthew 24 involved!

And, I ask you in the Messiah’s love, which is the greater disservice, to reject a traditional interpretation of a particular theology, a particular eschatology, or to be blind to the Scriptures when they are pointed out to you and backed up with the VERIFIABLE rules of Hebrew grammar and reject them out of hand?

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again Retro, a correction: it's not that I'm not thinking, it's that I don't think in the very limited, queer way that you do which sees only one way against all others and differently than even the experts.

Wing means wing. However, there is a multitude of nuance and meaning past the simple depiction of a bird's wing and color doesn't matter...
Figuratively, a wing can connote speed, strength, or sheltering.
  • The main use for wing is speed. That is its major association because 'taking flight' denotes the quickness of birds. Jeremiah 48:40 and 49:22 are fine examples of this.
  • Another use for wing is strength. This is because the bird wing is powered by very strong flight muscles. In prophecy, we see wings added onto earthbound four-legged animals to indicate how powerful they are; not that they fly.
  • A minor use is for sheltering; a mother will do this to her brood. In Dt 32;11, it is what God does to protect. Sheltering by the spreading of a wing does not denote something spreading out but an enclosure by the spread wing.

Another way the Old Testament authors thought of a wing was how the corners of their robes would act in the wind. In Isaiah 24:16, he uses this image to depict the "corners" of the earth.
By the way, the Old Testament authors made no distinction between insect, bat or bird: they do not adhere to the later Greek system for classification which we use. All three are "winged" animals.

Since Jesus and Paul make the connection from the anti-Christ and the abomination with a building, the Temple, our culture, not theirs, mistakes "wing" with our use of it as a wing of a building. The 1986 NIV does this in its translation. They removed that wording in their 2010 edition because, quite literally, it doesn't "work." The Temple does not have "wings" like our buildings do.

The King James authors struggled with this and came up with a figurative interpretation which also doesn't "work." However, the template they used, taking a figurative tact, does work with another way wing can be used. Here is where you are locked into your way of thinking Retro - you can't get past the one way you look at it.

Wing does not exist in a vacuum; we have companion and parallel accounts of the anti-Christ like 2Th 2; Mt 24:15, Rev 13:14-15; and most importantly for an interpretation of wing here: Daniel 11:40-45 where the King of the North goes out like a flood. This figurative use implies his advancement is both rapid and unstoppable. So another way to legitimately interpret wing in Daniel 9:27 is "quickly."

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My 2 cents, I think "the Message" says it best and it has nothing to do with speed.

Dan. 9:27 - "Then for one seven, he will forge many and strong alliances, but halfway through the seven he will banish worship and prayers. At the place of worship, a desecrating obscenity will be set up and remain until finally the desecrator himself is decisively destroyed."

To me, the message implied is not only does he cause the sacrifices and oblations to cease but he "doubles down" on his evil by setting up the abomination of desolation as shown in Rev. 13:14. It's not really all that complicated.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Trekson said:
[SIZE=12pt]If you really want to understand Dan. 9:24-27 then one must drop all their metaphorical thinking, mystical whimsies and thoughts like “well, in a manner of speaking…” and just deal with the cold, hard facts. Dan. 9:24-27: (words in parenthesis mine)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people (Israel) and upon thy holy city (Jerusalem), to finish the transgression, (by implication, the national apostasy. Has this been done? No!) and to make an end of sins, (are sins finished? No!) and to make reconciliation for iniquity, (did He make reconciliation for sins? Yes!) and to bring in everlasting righteousness, (Yes, but only in the person of Himself, not to Israel or Jerusalem yet!) and to seal up the vision and prophecy, (vision and prophecy has not been sealed up) and to anoint the most Holy. (This can be taken two ways. Christ was not anointed as King of the Jews by their leadership as Samuel anointed David, nor did He anoint any part of the temple, so this aspect has also not been fulfilled.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem (this was already accomplished before Messiah came) unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: (for some reason this is where everyone gets confused. The word “Prince” here is “nagid” and one of the defs. is “captain” and Christ is referred to as the “captain” of our salvation”) (what needs to be understood here is that Christ’s coming as Messiah and His getting “cut off” was just a matter of a few days, not 3 ½ yrs. He didn’t “come” until He fulfilled Zech. 9:9, His triumphal entry, so no part of the 70th week has occurred yet) and the people of the prince ( this word “prince“ isn‘t capitalized so there is no justification to believe it is still talking about Messiah,) ,that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; (if one was to take this as written and believe that it’s still speaking of Christ, who destroyed the city and sanctuary, Christians?? No! ) and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war (what war?) desolations are determined.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]27 And he (small prince, not Messiah) shall confirm (to prevail over and act insolently towards) the covenant (which covenant?) with many for one week: (seven years) and in the midst of the week (sometime within the seven, it doesn’t have to be the exact middle) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, (again, not Christ because they continued until 70 AD) and for (because of) the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, (complete and total destruction) and that determined (previously decided) shall be poured upon the desolate.”(desolater)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I kind of like the way the NLT translates the latter half of vs. 27: “... And as a climax to all his terrible deeds, he will set up a sacrilegious object (the abomination of desolation) that causes desecration, until the fate decreed for this defiler (a/c) is finally poured out on him.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Just about every other translation out there seems to acknowledge that in no way is vs. 27 speaking of Christ, but the “desolater” (a/c) and more about him can be found in Dan. 11:21-45. Everyone is correct in that there are two ways to define the word “confirm”. One is the positive affirmation and the other, the negative connotation. We need to ask ourselves a couple of questions. What covenant and what war?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Many assume that the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD is depicted in this passage but in my opinion, it is not! We can find our answers to both of those questions in Dan. 11. Some believe that all of Dan. 11 is history but I disagree. Dan. 11 is divided into three eras. It begins with tales of Alexander the Great, goes to Antiochus Eppiphanes and ends in vss. 21-45 with events that will occur in the 70th week. In this passage, the a/c is the king of the north.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I used to believe the a/c would make a seven year “treaty/covenant” with Israel based on 9:27. Others think this is the new covenant but most seem to believe, as I did, that it was a new and different covenant. God has led me to believe differently based on Dan. 11:28-31 - “Then shall he return into his land with great riches; and his heart shall be against (the peoples of ?) the holy covenant; and he shall do exploits, and return to his own land. 29 At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter. 30 For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against (the peoples of?) the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence (show favor) with them that forsake the holy covenant. 31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Vs. 31 aligns itself with Dan. 9:27 pretty smoothly so based on this I stand behind the negative connotation that I gave in the parenthesized meaning of the word “confirm”. The “covenant” is not the new nor the Davidic but it is Sinaitic covenant from Ex. 19:5-8 that he is against. I believe this is the same covenant that Daniel is referencing in 9:4 - “And I prayed unto the Lord my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments…”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A lot of people also believe the “many” of vs. 27 is the same “many” as found in Dan. 12:2 but obviously this isn’t the case. The “many” here in vs. 27 are simply those who are allied with the a/c. There are just too many factors against Christ being the “he” of vs. 27.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Jews national rejection of Christ is the direct cause for the time gap between the end of the 69th week and the beginning of the 70th week. Christ had to be crucified per God’s plan, however, if immediately afterward Israel would have repented then the 70th week would have continued as prophesied. As a result of their rejection, the 70th week has been delayed and Christ will point out that fact to the righteous remnant and show them that it was because of that rejection and lack of repentance that they have had to suffer for millennia. I’m sure Christ will also point out the words of that generation as recorded in Matt. 27:25 - “Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.” When Israel is ready to say on a national level Matt. 23:39 - “For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord,” then the end would come. The end of Dan. 9:26 has this phrase, “and unto the end of the war”. I believe this war is speaking of Armageddon.[/SIZE]
The clock is running. No one can argue that fact. There's simply too much evidence to support it.

Reading the clock has become another issue altogether.

According to Hebrew law, life was to be lived in blocks of seven years. These blocks have commonly been called weeks of years because of their lawful application under Hebrew law, which is rendered and observed by God if not man. According Hebraic law six years were appointed for work. The seventh year was a year of rest. For an entire year the land was not to be tended and all sorts of secular functions were to be halted. Debts were to be forgiven, slaves were to be returned to freedom, property was to be returned to its original owner and so on. The seventh year in the block was called the sabbath year or shemitah. Unfortunately, the Hebrews didn't keep the shemitah and one of the reasons for their judgment in Babylon was to give the land its full sabbath shemitah rest, which just happened to be seventy years. Look it up.

But the shemitah year wasn't just for rest and blessing. It also turned into judgment and punishment and the capture of the Hebrew people into the hands of their enemies. It was not a happy time always.

So what we're looking at are blocks of time organized into seven year cycles. The sabbath year came to be called the shemitah year. It was either a year of blessing or a year of judgment depending upon whether the Hebrews kept God's law or not. Mostly they didn't. The Bible states that the divine regulation of the weeks of years would stop running at some point and at some future point would begin again. Where opinions diverge is in the tracking of one week of years or of many weeks. One of the reasons for this is that Jewish scholars don't know when the clock stopped. Nobody knows.

The weeks of years began and ended according to the Hebrew calendar(s). There were two. Mostly this is why calculations based upon the Gregorian calendar are in error. The Islamic calendar is based upon a lunar year. The Gregorian calendar is based upon the solar calendar, but the Hebrew calendars are based upon BOTH. To add insult to injury, one of the calendars is 'adjusted' every forth year by means of the addition of a 13th month.(*) It really plays havoc with Gregorian calculations! Hence difficulty in calculating or projecting trends of divine blessing and judgment based upon Gregorian calendars. Unless a conversion is applied, those calculations may prove wrong.

Seven shemitahs were followed by a year called Jubilee. It was the fiftieth year of observance and happened DURING the beginning of the next block of 7 years, not in addition to it. The 50th year (Jubilee) thus happened at the same time as the beginning of the next week of years. Hey, Jewish scholars get a headache trying to sort it out - don't feel confused. You've got company.

While weeks of years begin and end one after the other, as the Gregorian year ends on December 31st and begins on January 1st - the Jubilee year is different. The Jubilee Year begins on the feast of Yom Kippur following the seventh shemitah year. Therefore a shemitah year could end on a Gregorian November and the proper Jubilee Year not begin until the following Yom Kippur (usually in September) - a passage of several months. The Jubilee Year was the 50th year. It was on the Jubilee Year that God acted in powerful ways. The problem is that the Jews lost count of the years. God seems to have stopped tracking them as well. As predicted in the Bible, the divine clock of weeks of years stopped.

In the mid-19th century, heresy flourished as at no other time in human history. Darwin published his book on the survival of the species and pseudo-Christian cults sprouted like garden weeds. At the beginning of the 20th century, American protestant leaders assembled to redefine and restate the fundamental beliefs of the Christian faith. Those who accepted their tenants came to be known as Fundamentalists. Unfortunately some heresy still managed to creep into the church. One of them was the definition of the tribulation as a single week of years. The error in this is that when the clock started again it involved many weeks of years, not just one.

Events in history point to the resumption of the divine clock of the end times in 1917. When the British Balfour declaration was issued, stating that the Jews had a right to return to their traditional home land in Palestine, the clock of weeks of years AND JUBILEE resumed. Fifty years later, in 1967, the IDF marched into Jerusalem and restored the city to Jewish ownership. It was predicted by Daniel and Ezekiel and it happened according to the observance of the divinely restored weeks of years and JUBILEE.

The years 1967-1968 on the Gregorian calendar were horrendous years. Google 1968 if you want to read a nightmare.

“If you look at the whole year as theater, as real acts of tragedy, there’s an almost poetic feeling to it. 1968 was one G*d*** thing after another.”
- Lance Morrow (essayist Time Magazine)

Among the tragic events of 1968 was the Tet offensive in Viet Nam. It marked the turning point of the war and the first defeat of America in a foreign war in history. It was also the year of assassinations - chief among them were Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy. Political events of that year turned the world upside down. There was a lot more to it too - google 1968.

The next shemitah year is supposed to be September 2014 to September 2015. Because of the difference in Hebrew calendar(s) calculations, the next Jubilee Year will begin at Yom Kippur, in the Gregorian year of 2016 and extend into 2017. (Balfour Declaration - 1917, Jerusalem restoration - 1967, and in 2017 ???)

It is time to get right with God, to make peace with God and to put away childish sinful things. For America, the next shemitah is not expected to be a good one. For the world, the next Jubilee will not be a piece of cake either. One does not have to be a rocket scientist or an OT prophet to see the trends and seasons in world events. Something is about to happen and the only way to be safe is to be found in Jesus.

To all those who disagree I say one thing - DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

PS
(*) Over a 50 year block of time, this error adjustment amounts to approximately 12.25 months. I just thought I'd throw that in to give the reader an extra headache.

Calculations and explanations based upon the book THE MYSTERY OF THE SHEMITAH by Jonathan Cahn author of THE HARBINGER.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi rjp, I have read the second book, The Harbinger, but not the first one you mentioned. As such, I generally agree with your conclusions and the next seven year period begins in 2015, according to The Harbinger.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Trekson.

Trekson said:
My 2 cents, I think "the Message" says it best and it has nothing to do with speed.

Dan. 9:27 - "Then for one seven, he will forge many and strong alliances, but halfway through the seven he will banish worship and prayers. At the place of worship, a desecrating obscenity will be set up and remain until finally the desecrator himself is decisively destroyed."

To me, the message implied is not only does he cause the sacrifices and oblations to cease but he "doubles down" on his evil by setting up the abomination of desolation as shown in Rev. 13:14. It's not really all that complicated.
Interesting, but that’s not at ALL what Daniel 9:27 says in the Hebrew!

It’s just like an author attending a study on one of his own books incognito and listening to all the banter about what the author might have meant in that book, and then being introduced at the end of the study. He might say, “Wow. That’s very interesting, but that’s not at ALL what I meant when I wrote (so-and-so)!"

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Retro, One of the definitions of the word in question is a "quarter of a building", so using the phrase describing an image set up as on a "wing" of the temple would not be out of line in this circumstance. Like I said in another post, "majority rules" don't apply in these situations.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Trekson.

Trekson said:
Hi Retro, One of the definitions of the word in question is a "quarter of a building", so using the phrase describing an image set up as on a "wing" of the temple would not be out of line in this circumstance. Like I said in another post, "majority rules" don't apply in these situations.
Neither does common sense, apparently.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Retro, When dealing with prophecy, "common sense" doesn't apply. I believe we must be flexible and consider all possibilities then select that ones we think sound true when aligned with all the other prophecies. It makes sense to me and your view should make sense to you. I see you always trying to tell others what is wrong with their ideas but I don't think I've ever read a post written by you where you outline the way you see the end times. I really would be interested in reading one. If the rest of us are so illogical, then please show us how you see things. I know you believe it's all about Israel and the resurrection, but I would like to see an estimated point by point timeline. Do you have one?

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Trekson.

Trekson said:
Hi Retro, When dealing with prophecy, "common sense" doesn't apply. I believe we must be flexible and consider all possibilities then select that ones we think sound true when aligned with all the other prophecies. It makes sense to me and your view should make sense to you. I see you always trying to tell others what is wrong with their ideas but I don't think I've ever read a post written by you where you outline the way you see the end times. I really would be interested in reading one. If the rest of us are so illogical, then please show us how you see things. I know you believe it's all about Israel and the resurrection, but I would like to see an estimated point by point timeline. Do you have one?
LOL! And THAT is why so many have problems “dealing with prophecy!” Seriously?! “Common sense” is just a phrase that means WISDOM (which isn’t so “common,” btw)! The Scriptures MUST make “sense,” “common" or otherwise, because God is a SENSIBLE GOD! Even if He is employing wisdom far above our own, we will be AMAZED at how well all the pieces just fall into place, when His wisdom is revealed to us!

I agree that we should remain flexible while we are trying to sort things out about all the various theories that are out there; HOWEVER, once the Ruach haQodesh has led one to the Truth, however small or seemingly insignificant, that Truth must be grasped tightly while sorting out all of the other things IN LIGHT OF that Truth! That’s the ONLY way one will make any sort of progress in discovery of Truth, whether in prophecy or in another subject. One should NOT “remain flexible” for flexibility’s sake! That’s just being “wishy-washy!” It’s similar to the Democrats’ cry for “change!” One should not change for change’s sake! One should change in a positive direction only or he is going downhill! If one is doing what is righteous, when he “changes” he may be doing what is “UNrighteous,” and that is unacceptable! That’s why a party that only wants “change” is the perfect environment for the GLBT crowd!

Just remember: The Truth is NOT a subjective thing! If it is GOD’S Truth, then it is objective and universally true! The words “What’s true for you is not what’s true for me” or “What’s true for me is not necessarily true for you” should NEVER come out of a believer’s mouth! So too, “what makes sense to me” and “what makes sense to you” should also be on the same page, if they both come from God. God’s wisdom is NOT subjective; that is, dependent upon the subject, different for different people.

Now, do I have a “point by point timeline?" In my opinion, it is dangerous to have one. Here’s why: When one has a “point by point timeline,” one is saying that he has a handle on all there is in the Bible that is prophetic. First, that is an arrogant claim. Second, it’s most likely an untrue claim. Since it is arrogant for one to claim that he thoroughly knows the mind of God when it comes to prophecy, there’s a better than likely chance that one does NOT have a good handle on all there is within the prophecies of God. Also, when one claims a “point by point timeline,” he has “locked" himself into the claims of that timeline, and to be an honest student of God’s Word, one must be willing to change his mind when God has shown that some point he had been claiming is wrong! Now, if he wants to have a “WORKING point by point timeline,” that’s another matter! That shows that he MAY yet have a willingness to discard it all if he is found to be wrong on any or ALL points within his timeline! When one spouts out words without understanding, he is more likely to be forced to eat his words and runs the risk of having to retract what he had been claiming, losing face with those who had believed him!
Proverbs 17:27-28
27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
KJV

Proverbs 10:19-21
19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
21 The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.
KJV

Ecclesiastes 5:3
3 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.
KJV

Ecclesiastes 5:6-7
6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?
7 For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.
KJV

I’m glad that you know that what I believe is hinged upon “all about Israel and the Resurrection.” That’s a good start, if you can accept just those two points. However, I am also a stickler for proper terminology: That is, God’s acceptance of us, the “New Birth,” is found in the word “JUSTIFICATION (by God)” and not “salvation.” That “salvation” is about God’s “rescue” of His people, the children of Israel, through the zeal of His Emissary and Son, Yeshua` the Messiah, when He returns to earth.

That a “church” is simply a “called-out assembly,” not some entity in and of itself, frequently called the “body of Christ.” That the “church” is LOCAL and VISIBLE, not universal (“catholic”) and invisible, as some claim.

That an “angel” is just a “messenger,” whether supernatural or human, and when it is human, it is often talking about one of God’s prophets, one who carries God’s message to others.

That the “Kingdom of God,” or “God’s Kingdom,” is the same as that over which David and Shlomoh (Solomon) ruled, literal on this earth in the near future, not ethereal in some “heaven” far away in the present.

That the “gospel” is just “good news” and that it specifically is about the previously mentioned Kingdom of God coming with the presence of the King.

That the word “heaven” means simply the “sky,” and is NOT talking about a place referred to as “God’s abode.” That there is a difference between “heavenly” (ouranios) and “heavenly” (epouranios); that “ouranios” is talking about “of the sky” while “epouranios” is talking about “of above-the-sky,” and that what most call “heaven” is actually the New Jerusalem, a physical and literal city which will descend to the New Earth in the future, based upon the description that most assign to what they call “heaven.” And, that it is the New Jerusalem that is God’s tent-house, God’s “abode."

That the word “Christ” means “Messiah” and refers to the “Messiah of God” promised to Israel by God through all the various prophets within the Tanakh, that which modern Christians called the “Old Testament."

That the word “Hallelujah,” or its Greek transliteration “Alleluia,” simply means, “Praise YAH,” and is a COMMAND for others to praise Him and does no praising of Him itself! That true “praise” is found in BRAGGING to others on YAH (God) about all of His accomplishments!

That the word “Hosanna” is a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew phrase, “Howshiyaah naa'!” and means “(Please) rescue us now!” (Psalm 118:25) and is NOT a word that means “praise God!"

Then, one must have a good understanding of what Yeshua` was talking about, as reported by Mattityahu haLeviy in Matthew 24 and 25, Yochanan Marcus in Mark 13, and by the physician Lukas in Luke 21:

As He sat upon the mount of Olives over and adjacent to the Temple, His students, Petros (Kefa), Yacov, Yochanan, and Andros, came unto Him and asked Him privately, saying, "Teacher, tell us, when shall these things be? What indicator shall there be when these things shall be fulfilled? What shall be the indicator of your coming and that of the climax of this age?"
Yeshua answered them by saying to them,
"Pay close attention so no one fools you, for many (people) shall come using my title, saying, 'I am the Mashiach and the climax is imminent,' and shall fool many. Therefore, don't go with them! But, when you shall hear about wars, and skirmishes, and threats of war, be sure that you don't worry-don't be afraid-for these things have to happen first, but the climax is not right away."
Then He said to them, "Nation shall rise up against nation; kingdom shall rise up against kingdom; there will be horrific earthquakes in all sorts of different places, and famines, and diseases, and fearful sights, and catastrophic events shall come from the sky. All these are but the beginning of labor pains!
"However, watch out for yourselves, for before all these happen, they shall grab you, and hound you, deliver you up to the town councils and to their synagogues (meeting places), and in their synagogues you shall be beaten, and thrown into prisons. Then, they shall haul you before rulers and kings all on my account. They shall deliver you up to be tortured and shall kill you. You shall be hated by all nations on account of my title, but it shall turn out to be a testimony against them and for you.
"Then, many shall be made to sin; they will betray one another, and hate one another. Many counterfeit prophets shall publicize and shall fool many, and because gross injustice shall run rampant, the friendliness of many shall grow frigid or hostile. However, he who survives until the climax, that person shall be rescued.

"This good news about the Kingdom shall be broadcasted to all the nations of the world to prove it to them. Therefore, when they shall lead you (captive) and turn you over, just determine in the core of your thoughts not to mull over what you are going to say to answer their questions, for I will give you a bold mouth and wisdom, which your enemies shall not be able to refute nor resist, and whatever shall be given to you (to say) in that moment, you say that, for it will not be you who is talking but the Holy Spirit.
"Now, the brother shall betray his brother to death, and the father (shall betray) his son, and children shall take action against their parents and shall cause them to be executed. You shall be betrayed both by your parents and your siblings, your kinfolk, and your friends, and they shall cause some of you to be executed. You shall be hated by all people on account of my title, but not a hair of your head shall be lost. By standing firm you shall save your lives. He that shall hold out until the climax shall be rescued!
"However, when you see Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) surrounded by armies, then you are to understand that she is about to be destroyed, and then shall the climax begin: Therefore, when you shall see the abomination that causes devastation, spoken about by Dani'el the prophet, stand in the holy place, standing where it should not, (let him who reads [Dani'el] understand,) that will be the time for those in Ye'hudah (Judah or Judaea) to escape to the hills, and those who are in the middle of it must leave it. The one who is on the housetop should not even attempt to come down or go inside to get anything out of his house
(just take the 'Road of the Rooftops' and get out), nor should one who is in the field try to go into the city to get a change of clothes, for these are the Days of Vengeance, that everything which is written (by the prophets) may come true. Remember Lot's wife! Whoever tries to rescue his own life (by packing a few things) will lose it! But, whoever shall lose his life (by abandoning everything) shall preserve it.
"But...ooahee! (a cry of grief)...to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies during those Days! Beg God that your escape not have to be in the (cold of) winter nor on the Shabbat (when travel is restricted), for these conditions would make it the worst persecution ever-a persecution (holocaust) that would be worse than anything that's ever happened since the beginning of the world up to the present and worse than anything that ever shall be! There shall be great distress (among our people) and hostility against this people, and unless those Days are abbreviated, there would be no one left to rescue! However, those days shall indeed be abbreviated for the sake of those who are God's Remnant of the Seed whom God has chosen.
"They shall fall by the sharp edge of the sword, and they shall be led off captive into all nations: and Yerushalayim shall be trampled by the Goyim (Gentiles) until the Times of the Goyim be complete.
"Then if anyone shall say to you, 'Look! Here's the Mashiach (Messiah or Christ)!' or 'Look! There He is!' don't believe him! For counterfeit Mashiachs and counterfeit prophets shall arise, and they shall show convincing indicators and miracles to fool, if possible, even God's Chosen Ones. But, pay attention! Look, I've warned you about it before it happens!
"Therefore, if they say to you, 'Look! He is out in the deserted lands,' don't go out there! 'Look! He's in the private rooms,' don't believe it! For as obvious as the lightning that flashes out of the east and streaks across to the west, that's how the Return of the Son of man [the true Human Being] shall be. Wherever the raw meat is, you can bet that's where the vultures will be circling!
"Immediately after the pressure of those Days, there shall be indicators in the sun, moon, and stars. In those Days, the sun shall be diminished, and the moon won't reflect its light, the meteorites shall fall from the sky, and the forces of the skies shall be disrupted and on the earth panic in every nation with confusion, the sea and the waves crashing! People will be having heart failure because of fear and because of looking at those things happening to the earth and because of the forces of the sky being disrupted.
"Then, the indicator of the Son of man shall appear in the sky-they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of the sky with great energy and brightness! Then, He shall dispatch His messengers with a loud blast from a shofar, and they shall gather His Chosen Ones together from the four winds (compass directions), from the lowest part of the earth and the lowest part of the sky to the highest part of the sky. When these things begin to take place, then look up and take heart for your ransom is about to be paid!
"Now learn the riddle about a fig tree and all the trees, for that matter: When its twig is still green and shoots forth leaves, you can tell and don't need anyone's help to explain, that summer is almost here [just around the corner]; it's within your grasp. So, in just the same way, when you see these things come true, you know that the Kingdom from God is close-within your grasp-even on the doorstep! I'm telling you the truth when I say, 'This people shall not be exterminated before all of these things are completed.' The sky and the earth (ground; dirt) shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away! (I.e., that's a promise!)"

Notice all the places where the pronouns are “you” and “your.” These are places in Yeshua`s discourse where He is talking DIRECTLY to His students standing and sitting before Him on that mountain side that day. With the exception of the last couple of paragraphs, the events which he is describing directly to those disciples all happened in the first century! The last two paragraphs quoted here will happen AFTER the Resurrection when Yeshua` sends out His messengers to gather His Chosen Ones. The remaining parts shall all happen in the future, which is also still our future.

The key is to know which parts have already been fulfilled (like the surrounding and destruction of Yerushalayim) and which parts have yet to be fulfilled (like the signs in the sun, moon, and stars).

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Retro,

Your words: “LOL! And THAT is why so many have problems “dealing with prophecy!” Seriously?! “Common sense” is just a phrase that means WISDOM (which isn’t so “common,” btw)! The Scriptures MUST make “sense,” “common" or otherwise, because God is a SENSIBLE GOD! Even if He is employing wisdom far above our own, we will be AMAZED at how well all the pieces just fall into place, when His wisdom is revealed to us!”

While I agree in principle, the reality is that believing in millennia old prophecies isn’t “common” sense. Believing that Christ was the Son of God isn’t “common” sense, etc. We accept these things by faith, which in and of itself is also NOT “common sense”.

Your words: “I agree that we should remain flexible while we are trying to sort things out about all the various theories that are out there; HOWEVER, once the Ruach haQodesh has led one to the Truth, however small or seemingly insignificant, that Truth must be grasped tightly while sorting out all of the other things IN LIGHT OF that Truth! That’s the ONLY way one will make any sort of progress in discovery of Truth, whether in prophecy or in another subject. One should NOT “remain flexible” for flexibility’s sake!”

Again, I agree, however, we usually “grasp” a truth in the context of other truths. If one of the “other” truths aren’t as correct as we thought, then within the context we must be flexible to change and adapt our thinking to the latest truth as revealed by the Holy Spirit. I don’t equate that style of flexibility with being “wishy-washy”. There are those on sites such as this that are so rigid in their beliefs, they have absolutely no desire to be flexible in light of any prophetic truth.

Your words: “Just remember: The Truth is NOT a subjective thing! If it is GOD’S Truth, then it is objective and universally true! The words “What’s true for you is not what’s true for me” or “What’s true for me is not necessarily true for you” should NEVER come out of a believer’s mouth! So too, “what makes sense to me” and “what makes sense to you” should also be on the same page, if they both come from God. God’s wisdom is NOT subjective; that is, dependent upon the subject, different for different people.”

I don’t know if I can totally agree with your prior statement. Let me offer some examples. Let’s say an alcoholic gets saved and delivered from His alcoholism and as such is in a way told by God that to remain delivered, he must totally abstain from that particular sin. It is not uncommon for that person to thus declare that EVERYONE “must” abstain from all alcohol, all the time. This would be simply untrue, so in this case, what is a truth for one, is not a truth for all. The fact that two different, opposite interpretations of prophetic scripture can “make sense” to each proponent also isn’t uncommon. While I agree that God’s wisdom is not subjective our individual understanding of His prophetic wisdom will be. Most of the difference lies in where our understanding comes from. Because of your beliefs, you take a different approach to prophetic scriptures, as I do mine. Neither of us should say our approach is “better”, than the others’, just different. However, our “approach” usually ends up with different understandings as the scriptures you quoted below do.

Your words: “Now, if he wants to have a “WORKING point by point timeline,” that’s another matter! That shows that he MAY yet have a willingness to discard it all if he is found to be wrong on any or ALL points within his timeline! When one spouts out words without understanding, he is more likely to be forced to eat his words and runs the risk of having to retract what he had been claiming, losing face with those who had believed him!”

I think you should know me well enough by now, especially with my comments on flexibility, that a “working” timeline was what I had in mind.

Your words: “I’m glad that you know that what I believe is hinged upon “all about Israel and the Resurrection.” That’s a good start, if you can accept just those two points. However, I am also a stickler for proper terminology: That is, God’s acceptance of us, the “New Birth,” is found in the word “JUSTIFICATION (by God)” and not “salvation.” That “salvation” is about God’s “rescue” of His people, the children of Israel, through the zeal of His Emissary and Son, Yeshua` the Messiah, when He returns to earth.”

I’m sorry Retro but God’s word disagrees with your understanding.
Rom. 1:16 – “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”

Rom. 11:11 – “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.”

Heb. 2:3 – “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”

John 3:17 – “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”

Of course there are several more, but you get my drift. Salvation is for everyone, not just the Jews and justification is simply the result of receiving salvation! This quoted concept of yours: “That “salvation” is about God’s “rescue” of His people, the children of Israel, through the zeal of His Emissary and Son, Yeshua` the Messiah, when He returns to earth” simply isn’t true! The Jews have had as many opportunities to be “saved” as the rest of the world has had. Now, will there come a generation that will be more open to the gospel than previous ones? Yes, I believe there will be. But their “salvation” will ONLY come through their acceptance that Christ was the Messiah. It will not be a “physical” salvation, as that is irrelevant. It will be a ‘spiritual” salvation, which is of far greater importance which the whole NT teaches.

Your words: “That a “church” is simply a “called-out assembly,” not some entity in and of itself, frequently called the “body of Christ.” That the “church” is LOCAL and VISIBLE, not universal (“catholic”) and invisible, as some claim.”

That the word “universal” equals “catholic” just simply is untrue. “Universal” is just the word to describe the global amalgamation of “local” bodies. I don’t know anyone who has claimed it to be “invisible”.

Your words: “That an “angel” is just a “messenger,” whether supernatural or human, and when it is human, it is often talking about one of God’s prophets, one who carries God’s message to others.”

Or it can mean “pastor” as in the letter to the seven churches.

Your words: “That the “Kingdom of God,” or “God’s Kingdom,” is the same as that over which David and Shlomoh (Solomon) ruled, literal on this earth in the near future, not ethereal in some “heaven” far away in the present.”

LOL! Now that’s just “messed up”. The “Kingdom of God” has zero to do with Jewishness or Israel and EVERYTHING to do with FAITH!! When’s the last time you read some of Christ’s parables?

Matt. 6:33 – “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

What would there be to “seek”, if they were already living in it? The “Kingdom of God” is a spiritual kingdom, not a physical one!

Matt. 12:28 – “But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.”

Matt. 21:42-43 – “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”

What you need to understand is that when Christ returns, the WHOLE WORLD will be His kingdom and the capital city will be Jerusalem. Not because Israel has done anything to deserve that honor but it is ONLY because of promises God made to David and other historic figures from the OT. The only requirement and the only way to be a “citizen” of that kingdom will be faith! If they didn’t have that “faith” in their life, they won’t get a second chance after death whether they be Jew or Gentiles as God is “no respecter of persons”.

Your words: “That the “gospel” is just “good news” and that it specifically is about the previously mentioned Kingdom of God coming with the presence of the King.”
This is just as wrong as your previous statement. The “gospel” is the good news that salvation is available to all because of Christ’s death and resurrection…Period!!

1 Co. 15:1-4 – “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”

I don’t know where you get your info from but you are being deceived, my brother.

Your words: “Then, one must have a good understanding of what Yeshua` was talking about, as reported by Mattityahu haLeviy in Matthew 24 and 25, Yochanan Marcus in Mark 13, and by the physician Lukas in Luke 21:… Notice all the places where the pronouns are “you” and “your.” These are places in Yeshua`s discourse where He is talking DIRECTLY to His students standing and sitting before Him on that mountain side that day.”… The key is to know which parts have already been fulfilled (like the surrounding and destruction of Yerushalayim) and which parts have yet to be fulfilled (like the signs in the sun, moon, and stars).”

"However, watch out for yourselves, for before all these happen, they shall grab you, and hound you, deliver you up to the town councils and to their synagogues (meeting places), and in their synagogues you shall be beaten, and thrown into prisons. Then, they shall haul you before rulers and kings all on my account. They shall deliver you up to be tortured and shall kill you. You shall be hated by all nations on account of my title, but it shall turn out to be a testimony against them and for you.

"Now, the brother shall betray his brother to death, and the father (shall betray) his son, and children shall take action against their parents and shall cause them to be executed. You shall be betrayed both by your parents and your siblings, your kinfolk, and your friends, and they shall cause some of you to be executed. You shall be hated by all people on account of my title, but not a hair of your head shall be lost. By standing firm you shall save your lives. He that shall hold out until the climax shall be rescued!

It’s my opinion that your outlook on these passages are errant and extremely narrow-minded. From your point of view only the disciples will be “rescued”. Is that what you believe? Is there any historical data confirming that all those who heard these words were betrayed by their parents, siblings, kinfolk and friends? If anything I would think because of the sacrifice of His disciples that God would make sure their “kinfolk” received salvation!

Are we to assume that every time Jesus and Paul used the words “you” and “your”, it is always referring to the audience of the moment? I believe that Christ is speaking to the disciples as founding fathers of the church, not as Jews. It’s really simple as I’ve explained before. No matter how similar or likely a fulfillment seems, if all six aspects of Dan. 9:24-27 haven’t been fulfilled, then it does NOT qualify as a fulfillment, no matter how much you want it to.

Are you telling me that looking upon current events, you can’t see a time in the future where Jerusalem will again be surrounded by armies? That you can’t see a time close to or associated with the return of Christ, that all six aspects will finally be fulfilled in the same time frame? I would think if you believe in a future “rescue” you must or why would they need rescuing in the first place?

Since that time, is it possible that some believers on an individual basis WERE actually betrayed by kinfolk in places like the Middle East, China, etc.? Can you not see a time coming where there will be a global holocaust on believers just like in WW2, inspired by the anti-christ? The bible predicts it in both Revelation and Daniel. THAT is what will make it the worst time ever! Just the sheer number Christian and Messianic believers killed or persecuted will be much, much greater than 6 million, on a GLOBAL scale, not localized to one continent!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Trekson.

Your words: While I agree in principle, the reality is that believing in millennia old prophecies isn’t “common” sense. Believing that Christ was the Son of God isn’t “common” sense, etc. We accept these things by faith, which in and of itself is also NOT “common sense”.’

Ridiculous. “Common sense” is just another way of saying “wisdom,” although it may not be so “common.” And, “having faith in God” is simply “trusting God.” We don’t make a “leap of faith” to believe something; we simply take God at His word and trust Him!
In my opinion, the KJV is the best version when it comes to translating Hebrews 11:1:

Hebrews 11:1
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
KJV

Here’s the Greek:

Pros Hebraious 11:1
1 Estin de pistis elpizomenoon hupostasis, pragmatoon elegchos ou blepomenoon.
The Greek New Testament (UBS)

Estin = is
de = but
pistis = faith; trust
elpizomenoon = of-anticipated-things
hupostasis = a-setting-under; essence; assurance
pragmatoon = deeds; affairs; objects (material)
elegchos = proof; conviction
ou = not
blepomenoon = looked-at; seen

Faith is NOT hoping for things or not seeing things; it’s SUBSTANCE and EVIDENCE! What “substance?” Simply the actual parchment, vellum, papyri, paper or electronic media and the ink with which the Bible was written! What “evidence?” All the records that follow in the 11th chapter and more!

Look, we don’t BLINDLY follow our God. We read His Word and learn about His attitudes and power. We learn about His desire – His will – for our lives; what does He want us to do? Then, KNOWING what God is truly like, we TRUST Him to both love us, want the best for us, and to do for us what we can’t do for ourselves, and sometimes (many more times than we might even realize) that includes miracles – things that may seem impossible from a human perspective.

It’s EASY to have faith! Just read about these people IN THE OLD TESTAMENT, btw, and imagine them as “Joe Blow” down the street in your neighborhood. REAL PEOPLE who lived and did all the things other human beings do and felt all the things other human beings feel, and then focus on how GOD stepped in and helped them out of difficult and even impossible situations. Then, KNOW that same God will do the same for you, that God WANTS to do the same for you! It’s not about our faith or the size of our faith. It’s all about GOD and the SIZE AND STRENGTH of our GOD! We can have faith no bigger than a grain of mustard seed or a radish seed (to put it in perspective of anyone who does some gardening these days) and we can still learn to TRUST GOD!

These “millennia-old prophecies” are just God’s PROMISES, good or bad, that God SHALL fulfill! That is, they SHALL happen, whether one thinks so or not. He WILL fulfill them! That is, He CHOOSES to fulfill them! For whom were they written? To whom were they written? Where were any of us 4000 to 3000 years ago?

So, when we read something like Romans 9 through 11, one should understand that the “all Israel” in 11:26 is Paul talking about all the children of Israel, not the Goyim or the Gentiles – all the other nations of the earth. Why? Because of the CONTRAST! These “all Israel” are not contrasted to the Gentiles who do not believe but to the Gentiles who DID believe:

Romans 11:17-29
17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?
25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
KJV

The “all Israel” is contrasted with the BELIEVING Gentiles! Therefore, the “all Israel” DOES NOT INCLUDE the believing Gentiles!

Your words: Again, I agree, however, we usually “grasp” a truth in the context of other truths. If one of the “other” truths [isn’t] as correct as we thought, then within the context we must be flexible to change and adapt our thinking to the latest truth as revealed by the Holy Spirit. I don’t equate that style of flexibility with being “wishy-washy”. There are those on sites such as this that are so rigid in their beliefs, they have absolutely no desire to be flexible in light of any prophetic truth.’

Okay, I can agree on this point. It was just a simple matter of symantics.

My words: 'Just remember: The Truth is NOT a subjective thing! If it is GOD’S Truth, then it is objective and universally true! The words “What’s true for you is not what’s true for me” or “What’s true for me is not necessarily true for you” should NEVER come out of a believer’s mouth! So too, “what makes sense to me” and “what makes sense to you” should also be on the same page, if they both come from God. God’s wisdom is NOT subjective; that is, dependent upon the subject, different for different people.'

Your words: I don’t know if I can totally agree with your prior statement. Let me offer some examples. Let’s say an alcoholic gets saved and delivered from His alcoholism and as such is in a way told by God that to remain delivered, he must totally abstain from that particular sin. It is not uncommon for that person to thus declare that EVERYONE “must” abstain from all alcohol, all the time. This would be simply untrue, so in this case, what is a truth for one, is not a truth for all. The fact that two different, opposite interpretations of prophetic scripture can “make sense” to each proponent also isn’t uncommon. While I agree that God’s wisdom is not subjective, our individual understanding of His prophetic wisdom will be. Most of the difference lies in where our understanding comes from. Because of your beliefs, you take a different approach to prophetic scriptures, as I do mine. Neither of us should say our approach is “better”, than the others’, just different. However, our “approach” usually ends up with different understandings as the scriptures you quoted below do.

As I see your analogy here, the problem is NOT in the alcoholic’s interpretation of God’s truth for him; it’s in GENERALIZING it to be truth for all. He needs to have a better understanding of how to present God’s truth. He must QUALIFY God’s truth for him when he is attempting to share it with others. That is, he needs to say, “This is true for me, and it MAY also be true for you. Therefore, I RECOMMEND that you abstain from alcohol. It is unwise to partake of alcohol.” It’s probably true that God’s truth for him would be true for ALL ALCOHOLICS that God has redeemed, AND it is often true that one doesn’t even know that he or she has a PROPENSITY to become an alcoholic until AFTER he or she has taken his or her first drink!

Ever hear of “Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis?” It’s a way for two people to come to a consensus about some truths that they see by generalizing their statements in a way to include both points of view. It’s not “compromise”; it’s seeing both sides to come to a broader statement that somehow includes both sets of truth. This is usually done by qualification. For instance, consider these two viewpoints:

Thesis: “When the stoplight turns yellow, one should prepare to stop,” and

Antithesis: “When the stoplight turns yellow, one should hurry through the intersection.”

Both are true, depending on the situation. To make a broader Synthesis, one must QUALIFY the statement to include both cases:

Synthesis: “When the stoplight turns yellow, IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME AND DISTANCE TO COME TO A COMPLETE STOP, one should prepare to stop; if, however, one does NOT have enough time and distance to stop, one should hurry through the intersection.”

This is the better way to come to a consensus. Again, this is NOT a compromise in which each side gives and takes; it is a SYNTHESIS of ideas based upon QUALIFICATIONS, making the general rule broader and more general to include both truths.

My words: 'Now, if he wants to have a “WORKING point by point timeline,” that’s another matter! That shows that he MAY yet have a willingness to discard it all if he is found to be wrong on any or ALL points within his timeline! When one spouts out words without understanding, he is more likely to be forced to eat his words and runs the risk of having to retract what he had been claiming, losing face with those who had believed him!'

Your words: ‘I think you should know me well enough by now, especially with my comments on flexibility, that a “working” timeline was what I had in mind.’

Yes, I do … now. Remember, however, that you JUST SAID your comments on flexibility in this last post.

My words: 'I’m glad that you know that what I believe is hinged upon “all about Israel and the Resurrection.” That’s a good start, if you can accept just those two points. However, I am also a stickler for proper terminology: That is, God’s acceptance of us, the “New Birth,” is found in the word “JUSTIFICATION (by God)” and not “salvation.” That “salvation” is about God’s “rescue” of His people, the children of Israel, through the zeal of His Emissary and Son, Yeshua` the Messiah, when He returns to earth.'

Your words: ‘I’m sorry Retro but God’s word disagrees with your understanding.
Rom. 1:16 – “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”’

Not true. IF your definition of “salvation” is “God’s justification of an individual” or the “new birth,” then your INTERPRETATION of the passage is going to be one way, BUT if you define “salvation” as a “national rescue,” your INTERPRETATION of that SAME PASSAGE is going to give you an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT VIEW! It’s not “God’s Word” that disagrees with my understanding; it’s YOUR INTERPRETATION of God’s Word that disagrees with my understanding! Your INTERPRETATION of God’s Word SLANTS your view of ALL Scripture! And again, your interpretation is based upon your DEFINITIONS of these key, fundamental words! You may not even have clear definitions for these words, but in your mind and word usage, you have subconscious definitions at least that manifest themselves in what you say and how you act. They are probably the result of years of teaching and preaching from others, but that’s the dilemma! It’s VERY HARD to break away from teachings that have been made traditional for a person! YOU DON’T KNOW THAT YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW! It’s really a “Catch-22!” That’s why I call it a “paradigm shift!” It’s really going to take a lot of work to change if you’ve been subjected to that form of teaching all your life as a believer!

Let’s make the substitutions and you may see what I mean:

When you read the above, I think you’re probably seeing:
Rom. 1:16 – “For I am not ashamed of the [message of the death, burial, and resurrection] of Christ: for it is the power of God unto [personal deliverance from sin] to everyone that believeth, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”

When I read the same verse, I see:
Rom. 1:16 – “For I am not ashamed of the [good news about the Kingdom] of [the Messiah] – that is, the Messiah’s good news about the Kingdom – for it [the Messiah’s good news about the Kingdom] is the power of God unto [national rescue] to everyone that believeth, to the Jew first (because it is THEIR good news), and also to the Greek (as graffed in contrary to nature).”

Rom. 11:11 – “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.”

You see:
Rom. 11:11 – “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall [personal deliverance from sin] is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.”
I see:
Rom. 11:11 – “I say then, Have they (the children of Israel) stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their (temporary) fall [national rescue] is [extended] unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them (the children of Israel) to jealousy.

Heb. 2:3 – “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”

You see:
Heb. 2:3 – “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great [personal deliverance from sin]; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”

I see:
Heb. 2:3 – “How shall we escape, if we [carelessly handle] so great [national rescue]; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;”

(This also has the added benefit, btw, in NOT referring to “personal deliverance from sin” suggesting that one may lose his or her “personal deliverance!” How does one “lose” his or her new birth or his or her relationship of being one of God’s very own children? What? I dropped it and it rolled off into the bushes?)

John 3:17 – “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”

You see:
John 3:17 – “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be [personally delivered from sin].”

I see:
John 3:17 – “For God sent not his Son into the world to [judge] the world; but that the world through him might be [rescued from judgment].”

And, Yeshua` SHALL judge the world THROUGHOUT the Millennium! That’s what a King does! He is the SUPREME COURT for decisions on all matters too large for lesser judges to make.

You said, Of course there are several more, but you get my drift. Salvation is for everyone, not just the Jews, and justification is simply the result of receiving salvation! This quoted concept of yours: “That “salvation” is about God’s “rescue” of His people, the children of Israel, through the zeal of His Emissary and Son, Yeshua` the Messiah, when He returns to earth” simply isn’t true! The Jews have had as many opportunities to be “saved” as the rest of the world has had. Now, will there come a generation that will be more open to the gospel than previous ones? Yes, I believe there will be. But their “salvation” will ONLY come through their acceptance that Christ was the Messiah. It will not be a “physical” salvation, as that is irrelevant. It will be a ‘spiritual” salvation, which is of far greater importance which the whole NT teaches.’

LOL!!! Again, you are misusing the word “spiritual.” “Spiritual” does NOT mean “non-physical!” That is a COMMON ERROR!!! It’s to be used as Paul used the word in 1 Cor. 15 where it was contrasted with “natural.” The word “natural” comes from the Greek word “psuchikos” while the word “spiritual” comes from the Greek word “pneumatikos.” The word “psuchikos” comes from the Greek word “psuchee” usually translated as “soul.” The word “pneumatikos” comes from the Greek word “pneuma” usually translated as “spirit.” So, if “pneumatikos” is usually translated as “spiritual,” the word “psuchikos” should be translated as “soul-ual.”

1 Cor. 15:35-54
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies (soomata epourania = bodies above-the-sky), and bodies terrestrial (soomata epigeia = bodies above-the-ground): but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
KJV

There are several pairs of comparison words in this chapter:
Epourania (above the sky) – epigeia (above the ground)
Fthora (corruption) – aftharsia (incorruption)
Atimia (dishonor) – doxee (glory)
Astheneia (weakness) – dunamei (power)
Psuchikos (natural) – pneumatikos (spiritual)
Zoosan (living) – zoo-opoioun (quickening; life-giving)
Psucheen (soul) – pneuma (spirit)
Prootos (first) – eschatos (last)
Ek gees (out of earth) – ex ouranou (out of sky)
Choikos (earthy; dirty) – epouranios (of above-the-sky)
Ftharton (corruptible) – aftharsian (incorruption)
Thneeton (mortal) – athanasian (immortality)
Thanatos (death) – nikos (victory)

However, this is incomplete without the description of just such an “immortal; incorruptible body”:

Luke 24:36-43
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them,
Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit (pneuma).
38 And he said unto them,
Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit (pneuma) hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them,
Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.
KJV

Thus, we have one more comparison between the two:
Sarx kai haima (flesh and blood) – sarka kai ostea (flesh and bones)

Notice, however, that BOTH involve “flesh!” Furthermore, Yeshua` said that he was NOT a “spirit!” Bare grain may be physical but then so are the plants that spring from that grain!
So, what IS the difference between psuchikos and pneumatikos? The key is in verse 45 above. This is a quotation of Genesis 2:7:

Gen. 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
KJV

Breshiyt 2:7
7 Vayiytser YHWH Elohiym et haa’aadaam `aafaar min haa’adaamaah vayipach bapaayv nishmat chayiym vayhiy haa’aadaam lnefesh chayaah:
JPS Hebrew-English TANAKH

Vayiytser = And-formed
YHWH = the-LORD; (GOD’S NAME)
Elohiym = God
Et = (following word is the direct object; non-translatable)
Haa’aadaam = the-man; Adam
`aafaar = of-the-dust
min = from
haa’adaamaah = the-RED-ground
vayipach = and-breathed
b’apaayv = into-his-nostrils
nishmat = a-puff
chayiym = of-life
vayhiy = and-became
haa’aadaam = the-man; Adam
lnefesh = to-a-breather
chayaah = living:

Later, we learn this:

Gen. 6:13-22
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14 Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life (ruach chayiym = a-wind of-life), from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.
19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
22 Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.
KJV

And then in Gen. 7:

Gen. 7:14-22
14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life (ruach chayiym = a-wind of-life).
16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils (b’apaayv = in-its-nostrils) was the breath of life (nishmat ruwach chayiym = a-puff of-a-wind of-life), of all that was in the dry land, died.
KJV

So, this is a VERY physical thing! YHWH performed the first CPR and PUFFED into the man’s nostrils a breath of life! The “nefesh” is the “one who is breathing” and the “ruwach” is the “wind” or the “forceful breath!” Carrying that into the Greek, the word “nefesh” is translated into “psuchee,” and the word “ruwach” is translated into the word “pneuma!” Thus, the “psuchee” is the “one who breathes” or the “breather” and the “pneuma” is the “wind or forceful breath!”
Thus, the adjective forms of these words, namely “psuchikos” and “pneumatikos” respectively, are adjectives of these concepts. The first one is talking about the “body that breathes” and the second is talking about the “body that produces WIND or blows forceably!” Notice, too, that the first statement is that Adam’s body was just managing to stay alive by breathing but that Yeshua`s body was producing a forceful breath that GAVE life, for the word “quickening” comes from “zoo-opoioun” (spelled zeta-omega-omicron-pi-omicron-iota-omicron-upsilon-nu) which means to “make alive!” And, THAT is the comparison between “natural” and “spiritual,” not this fantasy of “physical” and “nonphysical.” If anything, it is “physical” and SUPER-physical!”

Now, would YOU like to tell me just what do these verses mean, since you don’t like my understanding of them?

Isa. 59:12-60:5
12 For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them;
13 In transgressing and lying against the LORD, and departing away from our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood.
14 And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter.
15 Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey: and the LORD saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment.
16 And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.
17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke.
18 According to their deeds, accordingly he will repay, fury to his adversaries, recompence to his enemies; to the islands he will repay recompence.
19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.
20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.
21 As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.
60 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.
2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
4 Lift up thine eyes round about, and see: all they gather themselves together, they come to thee: thy sons shall come from far, and thy daughters shall be nursed at thy side.
5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.
KJV

Joel 2:28-3:21
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.
3:1 For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem,
2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.
3 And they have cast lots for my people; and have given a boy for an harlot, and sold a girl for wine, that they might drink.
4 Yea, and what have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Zidon, and all the coasts of Palestine? will ye render me a recompence? and if ye recompence me, swiftly and speedily will I return your recompence upon your own head;
5 Because ye have taken my silver and my gold, and have carried into your temples my goodly pleasant things:
6 The children also of Judah and the children of Jerusalem have ye sold unto the Grecians, that ye might remove them far from their border.
7 Behold, I will raise them out of the place whither ye have sold them, and will return your recompence upon your own head:
8 And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the LORD hath spoken it.
9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:
10 Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.
11 Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O LORD.
12 Let the heathen be wakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the heathen round about.
13 Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe: come, get you down; for the press is full, the fats (vats) overflow; for their wickedness is great.
14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.
15 The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining.
16 The LORD also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the LORD will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.
17 So shall ye know that I am the LORD your God dwelling in Zion, my holy mountain: then shall Jerusalem be holy, and there shall no strangers pass through her any more.
18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim.
19 Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land.
20 But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation.
21 For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.
KJV

Zech 12:1-14
1 The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.
4 In that day, saith the Lord, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.
5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the Lord of hosts their God.
6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.
7 The Lord also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.
8 In that day shall the Lord defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the Lord before them.
9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
11 In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon.
12 And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart;
13 The family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; the family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart;
14 All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart.
KJV

My words: 'That a “church” is simply a “called-out assembly,” not some entity in and of itself, frequently called the “body of Christ.” That the “church” is LOCAL and VISIBLE, not universal (“catholic”) and invisible, as some claim.'

Your words: ‘That the word “universal” equals “catholic” just simply is untrue. “Universal” is just the word to describe the global amalgamation of “local” bodies. I don’t know anyone who has claimed it to be “invisible”.’

Just look up the definition of “catholic,” would you? It’s exasperating for someone to deny a simple definition that’s been true for at least one and a half millennia!

Catholic
catholic adjective
her musical tastes are quite catholic: universal, diverse, diversified, wide, broad, broad-based, eclectic, liberal, latitudinarian; comprehensive, all-encompassing, all-embracing, all-inclusive. ANTONYMS narrow.

My words: 'That an “angel” is just a “messenger,” whether supernatural or human, and when it is human, it is often talking about one of God’s prophets, one who carries God’s message to others.'

Your words: ‘Or it can mean “pastor” as in the letter to the seven churches.’

True. That’s because a pastor IS a prophet in the sense that he proclaims God’s word to the people. My dad used to say that the only difference between a prophet and a pastor is that a prophet is a “FORE-teller” while a pastor is a “FORTH-teller.” That’s a bit simplistic, perhaps, but accurate enough.

My words: 'That the “Kingdom of God,” or “God’s Kingdom,” is the same as that over which David and Shlomoh (Solomon) ruled, literal on this earth in the near future, not ethereal in some “heaven” far away in the present.'

Your words: LOL! Now that’s just “messed up”. The “Kingdom of God” has zero to do with Jewishness or Israel and EVERYTHING to do with FAITH!! When’s the last time you read some of Christ’s parables?

And when is the last time that YOU considered that these parables were the CHRIST’S parables, that is, they were the MESSIAH’S parables? See what I mean by starting with certain subconscious, implied definitions? I would STRONGLY recommend that you read the chapters on “The Kingdom Concept In The Old Testament” (Chapter XXV) and “The Kingdom Program In The New Testament” (Chapter XXVI) in J. Dwight Pentecost’s book Things To Come. While I don’t agree with everything he had to say, he DID have a good history on the Kingdom and he made good observations of the theocratic kingdom offered at the first advent of the Messiah! Then, to tie it all together, you must realize that Paul did NOT provide a different “gospel” than did the Messiah anymore than he taught a different “Kingdom!”

Your words: ‘Matt. 6:33 – “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

What would there be to “seek”, if they were already living in it? The “Kingdom of God” is a spiritual kingdom, not a physical one!’

But, they were NOT already living in it! They had the Messiah present who could have GIVEN them the Kingdom of God, but they chose to REJECT the Messiah of God! You are just plain WRONG that the Kingdom of God is “a spiritual kingdom, not a physical one!” First of all, you have another assumed, erroneous definition of that word “spiritual”; that is, it is a “non-physical” kingdom! Nothing could be farther from the truth!
Second, there you go again with “spiritual!” Can you begin to understand how much I HATE how that word is abused?!
Third, we are to be WATCHING and ANTICIPATING the soon return of the Messiah! HE is whom we are seeking! To seek for God’s Kingdom, one must watch and anticipate God’s KING!
Fourth, remember that these words were spoken by the Messiah Himself WHILE HE WAS HERE ON EARTH THE FIRST TIME!

Matt. 12:28 – “But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.”

Yeshua`s words here do NOT mean that the Kingdom of God had already come to STAY! It had come FOR THAT MOMENT IN TIME. It was a LEGITIMATE offer of that Kingdom over which David once ruled! In fact, when the King left, so did the promise of the Kingdom! When Yeshua` ascended into the sky, no longer was that offer of the Kingdom in place! It was rescinded! Instead, they were left “DESOLATE!” (Matt. 23:38)

Matt. 21:42-43 – “Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? 43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”

These verses are NOT implying that the Kingdom of God once ruled by David the King would be given to another people – a different nation! He is talking about another time in the future when Israel will be formed again! That would be the “nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.” That’s why it wasn’t “nations” (plural); it was “nation” (singular)!

Your words: ‘What you need to understand is that when Christ returns, the WHOLE WORLD will be His kingdom and the capital city will be Jerusalem. Not because Israel has done anything to deserve that honor but it is ONLY because of promises God made to David and other historic figures from the OT. The only requirement and the only way to be a “citizen” of that kingdom will be faith! If they didn’t have that “faith” in their life, they won’t get a second chance after death whether they be Jew or Gentiles as God is “no respecter of persons”.’

I understand that more than you know! When the Messiah returns, the whole world will indeed become His Kingdom and the capital city will be Yerushalayim. And, you’re right! It won’t be because Israel has done anything to deserve that honor; it will indeed be because of the promises God made to David and other patriarchs in the Tanakh. However, what YOU need to understand is that this “world-wide Kingdom” won’t happen overnight or instantaneously! It will GROW from being the smallest of Kingdoms into a Kingdom that engulfs the world! That’s what the parable of the mustard seed and the parable of the leaven in Matthew 13 are all about!
The parable of the mustard seed is talking about the SIZE of the Kingdom growing, and the parable of the leaven among the three measures of wheat flour is talking about the INFLUENCE of the Kingdom growing.
They are reminiscent of the stone cut out of the mountain without hands growing until it itself became a huge mountain in Daniel 2.

My words: 'That the “gospel” is just “good news” and that it specifically is about the previously mentioned Kingdom of God coming with the presence of the King.'

Your words: ‘This is just as wrong as your previous statement. The “gospel” is the good news that salvation is available to all because of Christ’s death and resurrection…Period!!
1 Cor. 15:1-4 – “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
I don’t know where you get your info from but you are being deceived, my brother.’

No, this is JUST what I was talking about before! This passage in 1 Corinthians 15, the Resurrection Chapter, is NOT a definition of the word “gospel!” A definition is when you have two things being exactly equal in meaning and the second is said to define the first. However, in set notation logic and discrete mathematics, we are taught that the ONLY way to determine that two things are equivalent is if EACH of the two things has been said to be the other. That is, each set of factors is a SUBSET of the other set of factors. If set A is a subset of set B, and set B is also a subset of set A, then set A = set B. Then and ONLY then can set B be said to define set A and vice versa.

My words: ‘Then, one must have a good understanding of what Yeshua` was talking about, as reported by Mattityahu haLeviy in Matthew 24 and 25, Yochanan Marcus in Mark 13, and by the physician Lukas in Luke 21:… Notice all the places where the pronouns are “you” and “your.” These are places in Yeshua`s discourse where He is talking DIRECTLY to His students standing and sitting before Him on that mountain side that day.”… The key is to know which parts have already been fulfilled (like the surrounding and destruction of Yerushalayim) and which parts have yet to be fulfilled (like the signs in the sun, moon, and stars).

Your words: ‘It’s my opinion that your outlook on these passages [is] errant and extremely narrow-minded. From your point of view only the disciples will be “rescued”. Is that what you believe? Is there any historical data confirming that all those who heard these words were betrayed by their parents, siblings, kinfolk and friends? If anything I would think because of the sacrifice of His disciples that God would make sure their “kinfolk” received salvation!’

Nonsense. For you to say any of this only serves to tell me that you DON’T know my “point of view,” yet! First of all, Yeshua`s disciples who heard the Olivet Discourse WERE the only ones who escaped the persecution that went with the destruction of Yerushalayim and the Temple! They were the ONLY ONES who had a “heads up,” a prophetic warning of what was coming!
Second, yes, there are historic records of Jews being sold out by their friends and family members to save their own skins, particularly those of the “Way” who were hiding out in the mountains, deserts, and catacombs.
Third, as often as possible, family members were convinced that Yeshua` was indeed their Messiah; however, God is not going to FORCE one to accept that fact. And, those who did NOT accept it, were open to making deals with the Romans and mercenaries to save themselves.

Your words: ‘Are we to assume that every time Jesus and Paul used the words “you” and “your”, it is always referring to the audience of the moment? I believe that Christ is speaking to the disciples as founding fathers of the church, not as Jews. It’s really simple as I’ve explained before. No matter how similar or likely a fulfillment seems, if all six aspects of Dan. 9:24-27 haven’t been fulfilled, then it does NOT qualify as a fulfillment, no matter how much you want it to.’

Sure! When you are talking to a person or a group of people and you use the words “you” and “your,” aren’t YOU talking directly to the people in front of you? It’s really NUTS to think otherwise! Yeshua` was/is JUST LIKE US! If you’ll go back and re-read the translation I provided of the harmony of the Greek texts of the Olivet Discourse, you will see that He is NOT ALWAYS talking directly to His disciples because sometimes He changes the person from second person to third person! THEN and THEN ONLY is He referring to people in the future.
However, His PRINCIPLE purpose in addressing His students at all is to warn THEM of the impending doom to come in 40 years!
Furthermore, you are wrong about how prophecy works. A prophecy often consists of many lesser prophecies strung together. That’s why we can look at a prophetic book, such as Zechariah, and see the individual prophecies within the book, even though the whole of the book is a single prophecy from God. Even within the smaller prophecies, there may be several prophetic points that are linked together, and each of these prophetic points may be independently fulfilled. Consider Yeshua`s words in Luke 4:

Luke 4:16-21
16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them,
This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
KJV

However, He didn’t say that the whole prophecy was fulfilled, just the portion that He read. Indeed, the prophecy goes on…

Isa. 61:1-5ff
1 The Spirit of the LORD God is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.
5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.

KJV

These verses from 2b and on were NOT fulfilled at that time! Therefore, SOME individual prophecies can be fulfilled while others are left to a later time.

Your words: ‘Are you telling me that looking upon current events, you can’t see a time in the future where Jerusalem will again be surrounded by armies? That you can’t see a time close to or associated with the return of Christ, that all six aspects will finally be fulfilled in the same time frame? I would think if you believe in a future “rescue” you must or why would they need rescuing in the first place?
Since that time, is it possible that some believers on an individual basis WERE actually betrayed by kinfolk in places like the Middle East, China, etc.? Can you not see a time coming where there will be a global holocaust on believers just like in WW2, inspired by the anti-christ? The bible predicts it in both Revelation and Daniel. THAT is what will make it the worst time ever! Just the sheer number Christian and Messianic believers killed or persecuted will be much, much greater than 6 million, on a GLOBAL scale, not localized to one continent!’

Sure, I can see such things happening in the near future; HOWEVER, THIS prophecy is NOT ABOUT THAT TIME! It is about the destruction of Yerushalayim in 70 A.D. Other prophecies must be consulted for information about those things happening in the near future to which you are referring.

It’s WRONG to take fulfilled prophetic Scripture out of context and make it look like it’s UNFULFILLED prophecy! It’s deceptive, and it’s a LIE! Furthermore, it confuses people about how prophecy works. When GOD’S prophets spoke His words, the test of a valid prophet of God was that their prophecies would come true 100% of the time! IF those prophecies had more than one fulfillment, then HOW IN THE WORLD can a person determine whether that prophecy has truly been fulfilled or not? THINK ABOUT IT!

It’s just like taking Romans 10:13 for “personal deliverance from sin.” That verse is NOT about a person’s justification from God. HOWEVER, there are OTHER verses that fit that subject much better, like 2 Corinthians 5:21 and Yeshua`s own parable in Luke 18:9-14. Romans 10:13 is a quotation from Joel 2:32 which is part of the prophecy about the national deliverance of Israel.