Day of Rest or day of death

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adultery was/is also another sign between God and man.
Many times the Jews would leave God and cling to other nations gods.
And when they were in need they would want to return to the one that gave them hope.
I believe every commandment and law that God gave to Moses has multiple layers of meanings.
It's about perspectives.
When Jesus came he would say: Ye have heard it said ... but I say ...
He wanted us to see the deeper spiritual meanings behind the stone and from the heart.

I also believe that in Eden, on the 7th day God resting, was also a sign of Jesus' death when the works that he had come to do were finished.
And he hallowed the day and rested in it.
If the Jews had not been keeping the Sabbath they would of missed it.
Multiple layers.
Some hear one way and it brings forth understanding 100 fold, some 60 fold, and some 30.
Not everyone hears and understands exactly the same way.
But when everyone brings their folds together and shares with each other, our collective understanding is more full.

Paul wrote something about everyone having a ... hold on I'll find it..

1Co 14:26
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Paul doesn't say everyone will have the same doctrine or revelation or even interpretation, but that we should bring all things together and BUILD.

From the day we are born until the day we die we are learning old things and new.
We don't understand everything (perhaps much of anything) but we are here to learn.
Take Nicodemus, He was the teacher of teachers and even he was having a hard time grasping new ideas or old meanings.
I don't believe anyone has all the answers. But we should be willing to listen to how other people hear things.
Sometimes it can open doors you never knew were hidden.

When I first came here I was very stubborn concerning the law and the Sabbaths. That was a few years ago now.
But since then I have listened to other people talk about how they hear it and understand it.
I see a lot of things differently now, more in depth, more spiritual.
Some things we know are meant for worldly fleshy things but there is always a deeper spiritual meaning behind them if you seek it like treasure.
Not every student gets an A, and not every student fails.
Our work is to learn and apply what we learn to our lives.
God gives to each of us individually what we need at the time we need it.
And sometimes it can be like a ladder one rung at a time.
Not everyone needs the same understanding at the same time.
If you push too hard it can become complicated for some. If you don't push hard enough it can become boring for others.
We are not all teachers, most of us are and will always be in the learning stages.
That doesn't make people wrong.
Patience.
Luk 8:11
Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
Luk 8:15
But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Fruit or understanding doesn't ripen over night. Some take years with lots of nourishment and meditation and prayer.
Be patient with others and be patient with yourself as well.

We are, after all, in this together.
:)
Hugs

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The biggest 'punch-line' in the Presence of Christ and the Holy Spirit = 'Doctorate of divinity'

Scripturally Speaking = some of the DUMBEST things said comes out from their mouths.
I forgive him. We all learn from dumb things we do and say. He was a young 30 year old Pastor at the time, now he has wisdom.

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adultery was/is also another sign between God and man.
Many times the Jews would leave God and cling to other nations gods.
And when they were in need they would want to return to the one that gave them hope.
I believe every commandment and law that God gave to Moses has multiple layers of meanings.
It's about perspectives.
When Jesus came he would say: Ye have heard it said ... but I say ...
He wanted us to see the deeper spiritual meanings behind the stone and from the heart.

I also believe that in Eden, on the 7th day God resting, was also a sign of Jesus' death when the works that he had come to do were finished.
And he hallowed the day and rested in it.
If the Jews had not been keeping the Sabbath they would of missed it.
Multiple layers.
Some hear one way and it brings forth understanding 100 fold, some 60 fold, and some 30.
Not everyone hears and understands exactly the same way.
But when everyone brings their folds together and shares with each other, our collective understanding is more full.

Paul wrote something about everyone having a ... hold on I'll find it..

1Co 14:26
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Paul doesn't say everyone will have the same doctrine or revelation or even interpretation, but that we should bring all things together and BUILD.

From the day we are born until the day we die we are learning old things and new.
We don't understand everything (perhaps much of anything) but we are here to learn.
Take Nicodemus, He was the teacher of teachers and even he was having a hard time grasping new ideas or old meanings.
I don't believe anyone has all the answers. But we should be willing to listen to how other people hear things.
Sometimes it can open doors you never knew were hidden.

When I first came here I was very stubborn concerning the law and the Sabbaths. That was a few years ago now.
But since then I have listened to other people talk about how they hear it and understand it.
I see a lot of things differently now, more in depth, more spiritual.
Some things we know are meant for worldly fleshy things but there is always a deeper spiritual meaning behind them if you seek it like treasure.
Not every student gets an A, and not every student fails.
Our work is to learn and apply what we learn to our lives.
God gives to each of us individually what we need at the time we need it.
And sometimes it can be like a ladder one rung at a time.
Not everyone needs the same understanding at the same time.
If you push too hard it can become complicated for some. If you don't push hard enough it can become boring for others.
We are not all teachers, most of us are and will always be in the learning stages.
That doesn't make people wrong.
Patience.
Luk 8:11
Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
Luk 8:15
But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Fruit or understanding doesn't ripen over night. Some take years with lots of nourishment and meditation and prayer.
Be patient with others and be patient with yourself as well.

We are, after all, in this together.
:)
Hugs
Here is something to ponder = Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

was made
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

MIDDLE VOICE: The subject is part or all of the action. In other words, the subject is both the cause and the focus,
the agent and experiencer, of a verbal action (e.g. I moved (myself)).

A more accurate translation would be =
a.) The Sabbath become for man and not man for the Sabbath.
b.) The Sabbath cause to be for man and not man for the Sabbath.
c.) The Sabbath because of man(sin) and not man for the Sabbath.
Same as saying:
For(because) God so loved the world He gave His only Begotten Son.

Both lay claim to giving man rest/Rest.
Both were appointed a specific day/Day.
Both began with the sun/Son going down.
Both are completed with the sun/Son Rising.
Both carry a promise/Promise from God.
Both carry the death/Death penalty for refusing God.
one spoke of a future DAY
One came to save the day
one became obsolete and passed away
One Remains for All Today = if you here His Voice

Peace

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something to ponder = Mark 2:27

And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

was made
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

MIDDLE VOICE: The subject is part or all of the action. In other words, the subject is both the cause and the focus,
the agent and experiencer, of a verbal action (e.g. I moved (myself)).

A more accurate translation would be =
a.) The Sabbath become for man and not man for the Sabbath.
b.) The Sabbath cause to be for man and not man for the Sabbath.
c.) The Sabbath because of man(sin) and not man for the Sabbath.

Same as saying:
For(because) God so loved the world He gave His only Begotten Son.
Both lay claim to giving man Rest.
Both were appointed a specific day/Day.
Both began with the sun/Son going down.
Both are completed with the sun/Son Rising.
Both carry a promise/blessing from God.
Both carry the death penalty for refusing God.
one spoke of a future DAY
One came to save the day
one became obsolete and passed away
One Remains for All Today = if you here His Voice

Peace
I wrote something similar in another thread.
Yes, For God so loved the world that he GAVE his only begotten Son.
And we find rest in Him.
And to me, that is everyday, eternal.

Hugs

• Love

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote something similar in another thread.
Yes, For God so loved the world that he GAVE his only begotten Son.
And we find rest in Him.
And to me, that is everyday, eternal.

Hugs
Thank you for the support in Christ = i cherish His Love from the Members of His Body

Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discovery: Why did God impose the Sabbath day rest with a Death Penalty for violation of His Spoken Ordained Commandment?

"Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them,
“These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do: Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord.
Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death." - exodus 35:1-2

How does this pertain to:
a.) Why was it mandated to the Jews/OT
b.) Is it carried over in the Gospel
c.) Christ
d.) for the Jew only
e.) does it apply to Gentiles
f.) does it apply to His Church - if yes - what manner = same or different
Thankfully the Sabbath doesn't apply to Christians, or there simply would be no Christians, at least among the ones I know. Everyone I know has violated the Sabbath given under the Law Covenant.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thankfully the Sabbath doesn't apply to Christians, or there simply would be no Christians, at least among the ones I know. Everyone I know has violated the Sabbath given under the Law Covenant.
If the Sabbath did not apply to Christians they could never become a Christian to begin with.

And God means NEVER!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Discovery: Why did God impose the Sabbath day rest with a Death Penalty for violation of His Spoken Ordained Commandment?
As was explained to Adam long before Moses, all sins carried the death penalty, either that of the "first death" or of the "second death". Under the Law of Moses, many sins carried the death penalty (including Sabbath law violation). Therefore Christ DIED for the sins of the whole world. The principles within the law of the Sabbath now apply to the Lord's Day (the first day of the week).

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As was explained to Adam long before Moses, all sins carried the death penalty, either that of the "first death" or of the "second death". Under the Law of Moses, many sins carried the death penalty (including Sabbath law violation). Therefore Christ DIED for the sins of the whole world. The principles within the law of the Sabbath now apply to the Lord's Day (the first day of the week).
You said: "The principles within the law of the Sabbath now apply to the Lord's Day (the first day of the week)."

What "principles" and what "law of the Sabbath" ???

Do you mean the Law given to Moses that constituted "no work under penalty of death"?

Please explain the principles you are referring/assessing.

Thank You

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please explain the principles you are referring/assessing.
According to the the Law of Moses, the 7th day Sabbath was given to Israel as a day of cessation from all labor. But as we know even the Jews did not observe the Sabbath properly during the time of Ezra-Nehemiah. Later it also became the day when the Jews attended their synagogues as a day of worship as we see in the NT. And then Christ showed the Jews that it was also meant to be a day of good works. But they were enraged that He healed on Sabbath days (wrongly concluding that Christ was breaking the Law).

Those three principles apply to the Lord's Day (also called "the Christian Sabbath"). The first day of the week became the day of Christian worship even while the apostles were on earth. The Lord's Supper was set at the Lord's Table, on the Lord's Day. Why was it the Lord's Day? Because Christ arose on the first day of the week ("the morrow after the Sabbath"), and He himself established it as the day of Christian worship. Rest and good works were also included.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the penalty of Death for violating God's Rest still in effect Today?
Yes. By definition, the Sabbath (rest) that all of scripture points to, is the rest of going to be with God. By definition, it is "the day of the Lord"--"that day" spoken of in many ways all throughout the scriptures. Thus, anyone who is still "working" things out has not fully changed from sin, from the ways of the flesh, from darkness of heart, from the ways of men...all of which "the wages" of "is death."

Therefore, the age old message is "Repent" (change).

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to the the Law of Moses, the 7th day Sabbath was given to Israel as a day of cessation from all labor. But as we know even the Jews did not observe the Sabbath properly during the time of Ezra-Nehemiah. Later it also became the day when the Jews attended their synagogues as a day of worship as we see in the NT. And then Christ showed the Jews that it was also meant to be a day of good works. But they were enraged that He healed on Sabbath days (wrongly concluding that Christ was breaking the Law).

Those three principles apply to the Lord's Day (also called "the Christian Sabbath"). The first day of the week became the day of Christian worship even while the apostles were on earth. The Lord's Supper was set at the Lord's Table, on the Lord's Day. Why was it the Lord's Day? Because Christ arose on the first day of the week ("the morrow after the Sabbath"), and He himself established it as the day of Christian worship. Rest and good works were also included.
Please let me know if i have this correct from you

You said: These three principles you highlighted are still in force today and binding upon a Christian???
a.) cessation from all labor
b.) day of worship
c.) day of good works

You said: "Those three principles apply to the Lord's Day (also called "the Christian Sabbath"). The first day of the week became the day of Christian worship even while the apostles were on earth.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Sabbath did not apply to Christians they could never become a Christian to begin with.

And God means NEVER!
(Colossians 2:16, 17) . . .Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Colossians 2:16, 17) . . .Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.
Excellent Scripture
and we should all take note
tis 100% True for me and you

but since you missed the Message
of God's Sabbath Rest
it's time to fly away
from your religious nest

for no day of the week
can Complete His Eternal Joy
that is reserved for the meek

Yeah His DAY long ago Dawned
as the Son Rose
which caused quite an Alarm

Truly Now i can attest
ALL because within His Chest
Lay ALL of God's REST
and only There you will find
ALL that is Sublime

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more important question for you is: "How is Jesus able to call Himself = "Lord of the Sabbath"???

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God's Sabbath Rest that was first given speaks of Christ for there was no other Place for man to have True Rest apart from Christ.

Hebrews 4:1-3
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest,

as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

This is exactly what the LORD Jesus said in John 3:16-18

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. = TRUE REST

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already,= They shall not enter My rest
because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God
You might recall that the Sabbath was given at the end of Creation where everything was declared good. Join the dots :)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You might recall that the Sabbath was given at the end of Creation where everything was declared good. Join the dots :)
Correct

God is Good, therefore His Sabbath is Good.

After sin entered the world = Psalm 14:2-3
The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
They have all turned aside,
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.

Even after Sin = the Sabbath remained GOOD

Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”
So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

See the Picture that God painted beginning in Genesis then thru the Law, Prophets, Psalms and finally JESUS, the Good God.

In the Beginning we have God
HE makes ALL things Good
HE shows to the entire world His Sabbath Rest
HE Commands that by works no one can enter His Rest
HE then sends forth the DAY of His Rest = JESUS, the Good God of REST

For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more important question for you is: "How is Jesus able to call Himself = "Lord of the Sabbath"???
While on earth, Jesus Christ referred to himself as “Lord of the sabbath.” (Mt 12:8) The literal Sabbath day, which was meant to bring the Israelites relief from their labors, was “a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.” (Col 2:16, 17) In connection with those “things to come,” there is a sabbath of which Jesus is to be the Lord. As Lord of lords, Christ will rule all the earth for a thousand years. (Re 19:16; 20:6) During his earthly ministry, Jesus performed some of his most outstanding miraculous works on the Sabbath. (Lu 13:10-13; Joh 5:5-9; 9:1-14) This evidently shows the kind of relief that he will bring as he raises mankind to spiritual and physical perfection during his coming Millennial Rule, which thus will be like a period of sabbath rest for the earth and mankind.—Re 21:1-4.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Morning,
i read you post and it was very good but did not specifically answer the question:

How is a man LORD of the sabbath (7th day of the 24/7 week) since it was God who Commanded the sabbath rest???