Dear Church, Here’s Why People Are REALLY Leaving You

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ATP said:
I feel empty when I leave church. It doesn't inspire me. Most corporations don't.
What kinds of churches are you attending? What kinds of inspiration would you prefer? Have you considered an every-member ministry house/cell church? Are you in a large enough region where you could seek such a church or don't you prefer being part of that kind of ministry?

What kind of ideal church could you attend that would leave you feeling satisfied and encouraged? If you could invent your own approach to church, what dynamics would you prefer?

Oz

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
OzSpen said:
What kind of ideal church could you attend that would leave you feeling satisfied and encouraged? If you could invent your own approach to church, what dynamics would you prefer?
House churches. Meeting on Sunday afternoons to study scripture, maybe have some snacks out and personal time with people. Like a real connection.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ATP said:
House churches. Meeting on Sunday afternoons to study scripture, maybe have some snacks out and personal time with people. Like a real connection.
What's stopping you from finding a house church in your region? As for meeting on Sunday afternoons, I don't think you can be that picky. As for studying Scripture with some snacks and meeting people, that sounds more like a 'life group' from a conventional kind of church. I go to one such group every Wed morning (a time that suits me). But it is not a house church, but a church associated with a contemporary church.

Why don't you seek out the options for house churches, but in my part of the world they don't engage in exclusive Bible study. They are more like every-member ministry groups to one another, with some study.

Oz

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
OzSpen said:
What's stopping you from finding a house church in your region? As for meeting on Sunday afternoons, I don't think you can be that picky. As for studying Scripture with some snacks and meeting people, that sounds more like a 'life group' from a conventional kind of church. I go to one such group every Wed morning (a time that suits me). But it is not a house church, but a church associated with a contemporary church.

Why don't you seek out the options for house churches, but in my part of the world they don't engage in exclusive Bible study. They are more like every-member ministry groups to one another, with some study.

Oz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79BgupKMzg

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would rathe be in Christ than in Church, as for this "rapture", there will be plenty of foosih virgins with empty lamps wondering why it never happened.

In all His love

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, steer back around to OP please... Why are people leaving the church...... If we cant get back around, this topic has run it's course......

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Open up the under utilized "church" buildings to the homeless persons, as a place of lodging, sanctuary and food...don't forget they should be fed the word of God as well..."man does not live by bread alone" as Jesus said....seems the "christian" movement would get lots of recruits...this would certainly weed out the church organizations which need money to cover their overhead and employee payrolls, and those that are legitimately trying to make a difference in the world.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't put an actual post on this thread in a while, but I really like this one. You get to see all the variances in what people perceive is wrong with the church. I think it does indeed vary on what church you attend along with what religion you are. The fist time I posted on this thread, I had just returned to church after a 17 year "break". At first I was very skeptic upon returning. But as the weeks pressed on since the first post on here, I changed my preconceived opinion a little bit. Though I anticipate still changing churches at some point, I have chosen to stay as the pastor is a very godly man with a good message.

But I did realize the importance of the community that goes with a church. I of course am not speak for all churches, just mine.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Born_Again said:
Okay, steer back around to OP please... Why are people leaving the church...... If we cant get back around, this topic has run it's course......
What happened at your church BA? You said you would leave.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
ATP said:
I use to attend house kind of meetings twice a week instead of church. I was fine with it. But I noticed that my wife, friends and family believed wonky things and it was difficult / near impossible to get them right. Elders at a church are needed for this. Our wives will never take scripture on marraige from us. Well respected elders, different story.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
mjrhealth said:
I would rathe be in Christ than in Church, as for this "rapture", there will be plenty of foosih virgins with empty lamps wondering why it never happened.

In all His love
How about in Christ at church. Church is full of people who actually want to hear of and learn about Christ. It is the perfect mission field.

Reactions: James W

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
I don't mind what churches do to attract people (music, sound, food, shops). I think it is all fine. I really like the idea of visiting members in need. A mega church perhaps needs a team dedicated to this. Many smaller churches that are dwindling cop out and simply accuse members and visitors of not wanting to hear the truth. The problem is mostly about what is taught from the pulpit and oversight. Oversight is failing us or non existant!!!

Pastors are succumbing to satanism just to keep their jobs / popularity. We must have popular preachers. Well respected and established by God. We must not have satan on the pulpit.

We need to ensure that if our numbers are dwindling, it is not due to any reason other then preaching the truth.

James W

Dec 17, 2015
S.W Michigan for now
You know I learned some time ago that when we choose a church we do it on our knee's seeking Gods direction. Then we go to the church He directs us and we stay planted there until He moves us.

Now then to those who claim the messages just dont move me any more and so forth - before you blame the pastor or church you need to seek God and have Him show you your heart. Most of the time it will be YOU that is the reason and not the message. Sitting in church is not about goose bumps and chills and feeling higher then a georgia pine.
God Bless
James